About the Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Spin digital straw into gold
Spin digital straw into gold
Breathe new life into the sound of any CD/DVD player, computer, game console, or music server. Just connect Cambridge Audio's DacMagic between your digital music sources and your receiver or amp, and this versatile little outboard DAC (digital-to-analog converter) will take the place of the DAC inside your player magically transforming those cold hard 0's and 1's into warm, organic sound. You'll immediately experience greater dynamic impact and transparency, with instruments and vocals each occupying their own distinct space. And you'll be immersed in a wide, deep soundstage that totally inhabits the room around you.
Plenty of connections for your digital gear
DacMagic lets you connect multiple digital source components to your home audio system:
- two coaxial digital inputs are ideal for connecting a CD or DVD player, Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Sonos® ZonePlayer 90, or any other digital audio component with coax out, and taking advantage of the DacMagic's high-performance processor for better sound.
- two optical digital inputs are ready to take on a set-top box, HDTV, game console, or other digital sources with optical digital output, and feed a high-quality audio signal into your stereo system.
- Type B USB jack feeds the output of your computer into the DacMagic's onboard digital-to-analog converter, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much higher quality sound with stored music files and Internet radio.
A pair of gold-plated RCA outputs lets you connect the DacMagic to your home audio system's amp or receiver. Or feed a set of amplified speakers for a high-end, compact desktop stereo. Cambridge Audio also included a pair of balanced XLR outputs for an even higher-quality hookup with compatible audio components. Optical and coaxial digital outputs let you bypass the DacMagic when you're playing surround sound from a Blu-ray or DVD player, so you don't have to change cable connections when you switch from music to movies.
The magic's on the inside
The DacMagic comes packed with advanced circuitry to extract the best possible sound from all your digital sources. Twin Wolfson DACs are used in a dual differential configuration to cancel out noise and distortion while providing excellent stereo imaging. Then there's the Adapted Time Filter (ATF). This sophisticated technology upsamples all incoming digital audio to a 192kHz/24-bit signal in order to resolve extremely fine detail, even from compressed music sources. At the same time, ATF incorporates a 32 bit digital signal processor that re-clocks the digital data to eliminate jitter the enemy of digital audio that causes harshness and loss of detail. The end result is dramatically improved sound from every digital source in your system.
Cambridge Audio also included some neat features guaranteed to appeal to audiophiles. A choice of three digital filters lets you tweak and fine tune the sound to match your system and room. The DacMagic lets you experiment with different filter settings for each source, always remembering the last setting assigned to each one. A phase inversion switch lets you correct for out-of-phase recordings or amplifiers that invert phase. Cambridge even included an incoming sample rate indicator which shows the original source quality.
A match made in heaven
Want to get better sound from your iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®? Pair the DacMagic with Cambridge Audio's excellent ID100 digital dock (sold separately). This dock relays unprocessed digital audio signals from your Apple device to the DacMagic, which does a much better job than your device's internal DAC and audio circuitry. You'll experience a huge boost in sound quality with your portable music collection. This combo works great as a desktop system when you pair it with your favorite set of powered speakers, or you can hook it up to your A/V receiver.
- twin Wolfson Microelectronics 8740 24-bit digital-to-analog converters in dual differential mode for precise stereo imaging
- 32-bit Texas Instruments Digital Signal Processor (DSP) for reduced timing jitter
- Adapted Time Filtering (ATF) asynchronous upsampling technology converts 16-24 bit audio to 192kHz/24 bit for better sound with compressed audio sources
- incoming sampling rate indicator 32/44.1/48/88.2/96kHz
- choice of three filter settings for fine-tuning sound to suit your listening preferences
- phase-inversion switch to compensate for out-of-phase recordings or phase-inverting amplifiers
- two digital inputs with both optical (Toslink) and RCA coaxial (S/PDIF) jacks
- USB (Type B) input for connection to a PC
- optical and coaxial digital outputs (pass-through)
- RCA and balanced XLR audio outputs (both active simultaneously)
- supported sample rates:
- USB: 44.1kHz, and 48kHz
- optical: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz
- coaxial: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz
- bit depth: 16-bit to 24-bit (16-bit only for USB)
- built-in driver for USB connection
- frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz (±0.1 dB with Steep filter disabled)
- THD: <0.002%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 112 dB
- external power supply included
- non-slip silicone stand included
- weight: 2.6 lbs. (without power supply)
- 8-5/8"W x 2"H x 7-5/8"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DACMAGIC-BL
What's in the box:
- External digital-to-analog converter
- AC power adapter (with attached 5.5' DC cord)
- 28" USB (type-B) to USB (type-A) cable
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber-feet (for horizontal orientation)
- Rubber base (for vertical orientation)
- User's Manual (Eng/Fre/Spa/Ita)
Cambridge Audio DacMagic reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio DacMagic
Features & specs
|Frequency Response||20-20,000 Hz|
|USB DAC Number of Bits||24|
|USB DAC Maximum Sampling Frequency||48 kHz|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Total Number of Inputs||---|
|Coaxial Digital Input||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|3.5mm Digital Inputs||None|
|Stereo RCA Outputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Outputs||1|
|Optical Digital Outputs||1|
|Other Outputs||Balanced XLR|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic is a high-quality up-sampling digital-to-analog converter. The DacMagic features a range of components to enhance your music listening experience - these include a 32-bit Texas Instruments Digital Signal Processor (DSP), dual Differential Virtual Earth balanced filter topology, and twin Wolfson WM8740 high quality DACs in dual differential mode for excellent stereo imaging. Other features include a choice of digital filters (linear phase/minimum phase/steep filter) and an incoming sampling rate indicator which shows the original source quality. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic can effectively upgrade the audio from your computer, your network music devices, game consoles, or standard CD/DVD player to truly high-end, audiophile-quality sound.
Dual Wolfson DACs: The Cambridge Audio DacMagic employs two very high-quality Wolfson WM8740 24-bit DAC ICs in dual-differential mode for excellent stereo imaging. Since each channel has its own DAC to process information, completely separate and symmetrical analog filter circuitry can be implemented. This implementation allows both the left- and right-channel circuitry to operate identically, ensuring the DacMagic delivers fantastic sound-staging and stereo-imaging properties.
Dual Differential Virtual Earth Balanced Filter Topology: The DacMagic uses Cambridge Audio's proprietary Dual Differential Virtual Earth Balanced filter topology, configured as a low-order two-pole liner-phase Bessel filter, in order to take advantage of the achieved high-sampling rate. As a result your music will have extreme linearity with greater dynamic range.
ATF (Adaptive Time Filtering): The Cambridge Audio DacMagic utilizes an asynchronous up-sampling process called "Adaptive Time Filtering" that intelligently interpolates (converts) incoming audio data from 16-24 bits (at any standard sampling frequency between 32-96kHz) to 24-bit (192kHz) for dramatically improved musical reproduction. ATF will enhance the audio clarity, richness, and dynamic range of your compressed music.
32-bit DSP (Digital Signal Processor): A 32-bit Texas Instruments Digital Signal Processor (DSP) eradicates jitter, a problem which blurs the timing information of reproduced audio signals resulting in degraded audio quality. The DacMagic intrinsically re-clocks all the audio data - removing jitter, noise, and distortion in the process, so your music sounds full and realistic. This is especially effective when listening to music stored on your computer or media player.
Phase Filter Select: The DacMagic's 32-bit DSP employs Cambridge Audio's own proprietary digital filter algorithms with three different filter options available - Linear Phase, Minimum Phase, and Steep. Controlled from one switch on the front-panel, they are extremely clever audiophile topologies specifically developed for audio playback and all offer excellent sound quality, but differ slightly to appeal to a wide range of listening tastes.
- Linear Phase Filter: The Linear Phase Filter is the same as used in Cambridge Audio's flagship Azur 840C upsampling CD player. It uniquely features 'constant group delay' which delays all audio signals at all frequencies by the same amount - meaning all audio is fully time-coherent at the output.
- Minimum Phase Filter: The Minimum Phase Filter does not feature constant group delay, but rather has been optimized without feed-forward so that the impulse response exhibits no pre-ringing in the time domain. Many audiophiles have argued that the pre-ringing, as seen in nearly all digital filter designs, may affect the transient attack of percussive instruments. Minimum phase implementation eliminates this and is a technology only seen previously in some extremely high-end CD playback systems
- Steep Filter: The steep filter removes undistinguishable artifacts via re-calibration for a very slight roll-off at 20kHz, but an ultra-steep drop to the stop-band just after 20kHz.
Note: These three filters are all of the highest quality, but offer subtle differences for the user to enjoy. The type of filter chosen is remembered for each input individually, so that it is possible to use one for PC playback (via USB) and another for CD playback (via SPDIF).
Aluminum Front-Panel: The DacMagic employs a substantial aluminum front-panel, plus an ultra-rigid, acoustically dampened chassis to prevent audio distortion caused by vibration.
Horizontal or Vertical Placement: The DacMagic can be placed in two different positions (horizontal or vertical). It can be placed horizontally by fitting the four small self-adhesive rubber feet to the bottom of the unit, or vertically by using the large rubber base.
Power Requirements: The Cambridge Audio DacMagic operates off of standard household AC current (120V / 60Hz), using the supplied AC power adapter (12V / 1500mA). The external power adapter is separate from the digital-analog-converter to further improve sound quality.
USB Port: A rear-panel USB (type-B) port enables the DacMagic to be connected to your Windows PC or Mac computer. The DacMagic will act as a very high-quality DAC/sound-card for your computer, offering genuine Hi-Fi-quality playback from your stored music and internet radio.
Digital Inputs: The DacMagic is fitted with two rear-panel digital inputs. Each digital input consists of an optical and coaxial digital connection. The optical and coaxial digital input allow a wide range of digital source (CD, DVD, Game Console, etc.) to be connected to the DacMagic.
Note: Only one of the two types (optical/coaxial) of each digital input should be connected at any one time. If both the optical and coaxial inputs have connections made to them, neither will work. This unit only decodes two-channel LPCM digital audio (Dolby Digital 2.0). If you connect a DVD or similar device, please ensure that the audio output of the player is set to two-channel PCM.
Digital Output: A rear-panel digital output (optical/coaxial) allows pass-through of the selected digital source for recording purposes (no up-sampling performed). These outputs loop or pass-through unprocessed digital audio from the selected digital input.
Note: Both the optical and coaxial digital outputs are always active and can be used to connect and run equipment at the same time. A 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS signal can be passed through the unit's digital outputs. The 5.1ch signal is not decoded or processed (only pass-through).
Balanced & Unbalanced Outputs: The Cambridge Audio DacMagic features both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) audio outputs to connect to a wide variety of home stereo receivers and amplifiers.
- Unbalanced: The DacMagic features an unbalanced stereo analog RCA audio output for connecting your stereo receiver or amplifier.
- Balanced: The DacMagic features true balanced XLR analog audio outputs to connect high-end home receivers and amplifiers. XLR is a higher-quality output that can reject noise and interference with equipment with balanced inputs.
Note: It is possible to use the unbalanced stereo RCA output and the balanced XLR outputs at the same time for connecting two different amplifiers or multi-room operation. The analog audio outputs are muted, if the DacMagic receives a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS signal.
D/A Converters: Dual Wolfson WM8740 24-bit DACs
Digital Filter: Texas Instruments TMS 320VC5501 DSP (up-sampling to 24-bit/192kHz)
Analog Filter: 2-Pole Dual Differential Bessel Double Virtual Earth Balanced
Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz (+/- 0.1 dB)
Total Harmonic Distortion:
- @ 1 kHz (0 dbBFs): < 0.001%
- @ 1 kHz (-10 dBFs): < 0.001%
- @ 20 kHz (0 dBFs): < 0.002%
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -112 dBr
Total Correlated Jitter: < 130 pS
- @ 1 kHz: < -100 dB
- @ 20 kHz: < -90 dB
Output Impedance: < 50 ohms
- Unbalanced: 2.1V rms
- Balanced: 4.2V rms (2.1V per phase)
Digital Input Bit-Rates: 16 to 24 bit (16-bit only for USB)
Digital Input Sampling Frequencies: 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz (44.1, 48 kHz for USB)
Audio Output Up-Sampling: Fixed 24-bit/192kHz
Power Consumption: 18 watt
- Width = 8.5"
- Height = 2.0625" (2.1875" with feet)
- Depth = 8.8125
Vertical Orientation: (with stand)
- Width = 3.0625"
- Height = 8.625"
- Depth = 9.3125"