About the Cambridge Audio Edge A
A beautiful, powerful amp
A beautiful, powerful amp
I'm a sucker for the elegant, uncluttered look of the Cambridge Audio Edge A. And its gorgeous design isn't just for show — the curved extruded aluminum front panel minimizes vibration-induced distortion. Inside, a pair of rugged toroidal transformers supply plenty of stable power for 100 watts per channel of clean, high-current amplification. There's also high-quality Bluetooth with aptX-HD for crystal-clear music streaming and a solid array of analog and digital connections on the back. It's the total package.
The amp features balanced stereo XLR and unbalanced stereo RCA inputs and outputs, for making high-grade analog connections. And Cambridge never skimps on digital connections. The back panel includes an HDMI input with ARC (Audio Return Channel) for connecting a compatible TV, and a USB Type-B input for making a wired connection to your computer. In addition, there are two digital optical inputs and a single digital coaxial input. A fantastic-sounding 32-bit/384kHz high-res DAC treats your digital sources with audiophile precision.
The front panel includes a headphone jack for listening during quiet time.
In a class of its own
Cambridge Audio's unique Class XA amplifier topology delivers Class A-like audio quality with improved efficiency and less heat. Compared to a traditional Class AB design, it shifts the crossover point to a position where you hear nearly zero distortion.
In anticipation of their 50th anniversary, Cambridge Audio asked their engineers a simple question — what would they make if anything was possible? More than three years later, a team of nine engineers delivered the Edge line, named after Professor Gordon Edge, the designer of Cambridge Audio's first product, the ground-breaking P40 integrated amplifier.
All Edge circuit components were blind-auditioned solely for their sonic merits — not price, specs, or measured performance. Only the most dynamic, present, clear, and musical ones were chosen. The Edge line embodies Cambridge Audio's signature British sound and 50 years of hi-fi expertise.
- 100 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz), 0.02% THD at full rated power
- 200 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms
- proprietary Class XA amplifier design
- dual audiophile-grade toroidal power transformers for low noise and high-current output
- replaces conventional capacitors with DC-coupled topology for reduced distortion
- frequency response: 3-80,000 Hz (±1dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: >103dB
- Bluetooth® with aptX-HD for high-quality streaming
- remote control included
- balanced stereo XLR inputs provide connectivity for high-end and professional audio sources
- dual unbalanced stereo RCA inputs
- HDMI port with ARC (Audio Return Channel) for connecting to a compatible TV
- dual digital optical inputs (up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution)
- digital coaxial input (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- USB Type-B input for connecting a computer (PCM up to 32-bit/384kHz resolution or DSD files up to 11.2 MHz)
- balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA preamp outputs
- 5-way binding post speaker connectors
- 12-volt trigger in/out
- RS-232 port for third-party remote control
- headphone output on front panel
- if connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in its audio menu — this DAC cannot decode multichannel Dolby® Digital signals
Dimensions and warranty:
- 18-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 15-15/16"D
- weight: 53.7 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C10972
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio Edge A
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||100|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||200|
|Minimum Impedance||Not given|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||---|
|Total Analog Inputs||---|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|