About the Cambridge Audio Evo 150
An elegant, timeless integrated amplifier
An elegant, timeless integrated amplifier
Cambridge Audio created the Evo 150 to be compact, convenient, and attractive — a solid central component to build your sound system around. It delivers 150 watts per channel using advanced Hypex NCore® Class D amplification — an emerging technology which rivals old-school Class A amplifiers in terms of clarity and musicality.
An audiophile-grade built-in DAC makes digital files sound exquisite. You also get Bluetooth with aptX HD for simple, high-quality music streaming from your mobile devices.
One very cool external design touch: the side panels are customizable to suit your personal style preference. A pair of wood-grained panels are included for a classic look, as are a pair of black panels with a decorative wavy pattern. They attach magnetically, so you can swap them out at will.
Easy app control
Cambridge Audio's StreamMagic app offers comprehensive control and intuitive access to your favorite streaming music over your Wi-Fi network. It's compatible with popular services like Apple's AirPlay 2, Chromecast built-in, Spotify Connect, TIDAL, Qobuz, and more.
This amp features a wide array of digital and analog inputs — it's well-suited to serve as the centerpiece of a two-channel sound system. For instance, it features dual digital optical inputs, plus a single digital coaxial input. There's a Type-B USB input for playing high-resolution files from your computer, with switchable Class 1/Class 2 operation for compatibility with more Windows® driver setups. And there's even an HDMI port with ARC (Audio Return Channel) for connecting a compatible TV.
Analog fans have plenty of options, too. There are balanced stereo RCA and unbalanced stereo XLR inputs for connecting analog components, and a dedicated phono stage for turntables with moving magnet cartridges.
- 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz)
- 250 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- built-in high-performance ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC
- Hypex NCore Class D amplification
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth® wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- aptX® HD encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- compatible file formats: ALAC, WAV, FLAC, MQA, AIFF, DSD, WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, OGG Vorbis
- StreamMagic app functions as a remote control and streaming platform
- large LCD screen displays source, settings, and album information
- full-metal casework with thick, brushed aluminum front panel and acoustically damped chassis for enhanced resonance control
- swappable magnetic side panels let you customize the player's look
- remote included
- Ethernet port for making a wired connection to your network
- two Toslink optical digital inputs (up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution)
- coaxial digital input (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- USB Type-A for playing music from a thumb drive
- USB Type-B input for connecting a computer
- user-selectable USB Class 1 (up to 24-bit/96kHz PCM) or Class 2 (up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD up to 11.2MHz )
- HDMI input with ARC (Audio Return Channel) for connecting a compatible TV
- unbalanced stereo RCA aux input
- phono input for connecting a turntable with moving magnet cartridge
- balanced stereo XLR input
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- stereo RCA preamp output
- A/B speaker outputs with binding-post connectors
- front-panel 3.5mm headphone jack
- IR/12-volt trigger input
- 12-volt trigger output
- RS-232C port for use with third-party control systems
Dimensions and warranty:
- 12-1/16"W x 3-9/16"H x 12-1/16"D
- weight: 11.68 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C11226
What's in the box:
- Integrated amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (EVO)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 4 Side-panels (2 pre-installed)
- Quick Setup Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Cambridge Audio Evo 150 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio Evo 150
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||150|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||250|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not given|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Preamp Outputs||Stereo RCA, Sub|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Apple AirPlay 2||Yes|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Hypex NCore Class D Amplification: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 employs Hypex NCore Class D Amplification to deliver ultimate clarity, high resolution, and extreme musicality with high efficiency and low distortion. The Evo 150 integrated amplifier is rated at 150 watts x 2 channels into 8-ohms or 250 watts x 2 channels into 4-ohms (@ 20-20kHz; with both channels driven).
ESS Sabre ES9018 K2M DAC: The Evo 150 utilizes an ultra high-performance, state-of-the-art ESS Sabre ES9018 K2M digital-to-analog converter to bring your digital audio music files to life, with every detail and nuance delivered intact. The Evo 150 supports digital audio files up to 32-bit/384kHz and DSD256 (11.2MHz).
Built-In Bluetooth 4.2: The Cambrdige Audio Evo 150 integrated amplifier offers built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). It can be used as a Bluetooth receiver or transmitter. You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, laptop, or music player to the Evo 150 integrated amp. You'll also be able to use the Evo 150 as a source and wirelessly stream its audio content to a set of Bluetooth headphones (sold separately).
- aptX HD: In addition to Bluetooth's standard SBC audio codec, the Evo 150 also supports Qualcomm's aptX HD. aptX HD is an enhanced codec that supports 24-bit audio over Bluetooth and has been engineered to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, resulting in lower background noise. With the ability to support streams up to 24bit/48kHz, you're able to wirelessly stream from an aptX HD compatible device to the Evo 150 without sacrificing sound quality and listen to "better-than-CD" quality audio.
- Two-Way Communication: The Evo 150 even offers two-way Bluetooth, featuring both Receive and Transmit functionality. Receive capability allows you to wirelessly stream from your device to the Evo 150. The Transmit capability means you can also use the Evo 150 as a source and what your are listening to via Bluetooth to a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones (sold separately).
Note: You can pair multiple device to the Evo 150, but only one Bluetooth-enabled source device can be connected and used for playback at a time.
USB Ports: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 is outfitted with a rear-panel USB-B input for playback of stored digital music files on your Windows PC or Mac computer, plus a rear-panel USB-A input for playback of music files stored on a USB thumbdrive or HDD.
- Asynchronous USB-B Input: The asynchnronous USB-B input lets you connect the Evo 150 to your Windows PC or Mac computer for playback of 2ch PCM (32-bit/384kHz) and DSD256 (11.2MHz) music files. The asynchronous USB-B port allows the Evo 150 to act as a high-quality DAC/sound-card with very low jitter for your computer, offering genuine Hi-Fi-quality playback from your stored Hi-Res digital music files. A separate USB driver will be required for playback of 192kHz or 384kHz PCM music files and DSD256 music files from a Windows PC. Windows PC will not require a separate USB driver for 24-bit/96kHz playback. Mac computers do not require a separate USB driver for PCM or DSD playback.
- USB-A MSC Input: The USB-A input supports music playback from a USB MSC (mass storage class device), including a USB thumbdrive or HDD formatted in FAT32 or NTFS. Compatible music files include WAV (16/24-bit; 32-192kHz), FLAC (16/24-bit; 32-192kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit: 32-192kHz), AIFF (16/24-bit; 32-192kHz), MP3 (16-320kbps), WMA (32-320kbps), AAC (16-320kbps), and Ogg Vorbis (32-320kbps). The Evo 150 cannot supply greater than 500mA from the USB socket, so an external HDD may require a separate external AC power adapter. The USB-A input does not support media playback from an Apple iOS or Android OS device, and is not compatible with USB hubs and card-readers.
Note: Good practice is to create folders for Artists within which you should have sub folders for each Album which then contain the tracks for that Album. Libraries with thousands of tracks in one folder will progressively slow down the unit's media browsing.
HDMI ARC: The Evo 150 features a HDMI ARC jack to connect the integrated amplifier to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The integrated amplifier's ARC jack only supports 2ch PCM audio (up to 24-bit/192kHz). It is not compatible with with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150's two optical (toslink) digital inputs and one coaxial (RCA) digital input allows it to act as a high quality upsampling Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) to improve the sound from other devices, such as set top boxes, games consoles, or disc players. The optical digital input supports up 24-bit/96kHz stereo PCM audio, while the coaxial digital input supports up to 24-bit/192kHz stereo PCM audio.
- If a digital input is connected to a TV, you can enable TV mode in the input settings of the StreamMagic app. This mode minimizes lip-sync delays
on the audio path by bypassing MQA decoding and also reduces the chance of dropouts and glitches from some TVs.
- The digital inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or any other multichannel surround formation.
Analog Audio Inputs: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 features balanced & unbalanced analog line-level inputs, as well as a Phono MM input for connection of your external analog line-level and phono source devices.
- Balanced & Unbalanced Line-Level Inputs: The Evo 150 offers one balanced XLR stereo line-level input and one unbalanced RCA stereo line-level input. Balanced XLR is a higher-quality input that can reject noise and interference
- Phono MM Input: The Evo 150 features a Phono MM input for connection of a turntable with a MM (Moving Magnet) cartridge. The Phono MM input also has a ground-terminal to help reduce hum and noise from the connected turntable.
A/B Speaker Output Terminals: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated amplifier is outfitted with two sets of binding post terminals for connection of up to two pair of loudspeakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). Plastic inserts will need to be removed from the binding post terminals in order to use banana plugs.
- A or B: You can connect a single pair of 8-ohm or 4-ohm loudspeakers.
- A & B: You can connect two pair of 8-ohm loudspeakers (not 4-ohm compatible).
Preamp Outputs: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated amp is outfitted with stereo RCA pre-outs, as well as a mono-RCA subwoofer output.
- Stereo RCA Pre-Out: The stereo RCA pre-out allows you to use the Cambridge Audio Evo 150 as a preamplifier and connect it to a high power amplifier.
- Mono-RCA Sub Out: The mono-RCA sub out lets you connect a powered subwoofer (sold separately).
Front-Panel Headphone Jack: The Evo 150's front-panel headphone output consists of a 3.5mm jack that allows connection of a set of headphones. Connection of a set of headphones will automatically mute the integrated amp's speaker, preamp, and sub outputs.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated amplifier offers a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection to your home network for access to Internet Radio, Qobuz, Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect, Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2, and music libraries stored on your computer (UPnP).
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Evo 150 integrated amplifier is fitted with an Ethernet (R-J45) port to connect directly to your home's network hub. Only connect the LAN port of the integrated amp's to an Ethernet port that supports 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX.
- Built-In WiFi: The Evo 150 integrated amplifier offers dual-band 2.4/5GHZ WiFi to wirelessly connect the integrated amp to your home network. The Evo 150 supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with WEP, WPA, WPA2 encryption.
Note: Use a wired Ethernet connection for Hi-Res 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD 256 (11.2MHz) audio files.
StreamMagic Online Music Services: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 lets you access Internet Radio, Tidal, and Qobuz. Access to Internet Radio and Qobuz require the free StreamMagic App (for Apple iOS 12.1+ and Android OS 5.0+).
- Internet Radio: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 gives you access to over 20,000 internet radio stations from around the world; all sorted by Location, Language, and Genre.
- TIDAL Connect: The integration of Tidal Connect will enable Tidal users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Evo 150 from within the Tidal app (for Apple iOS and Android OS). TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify users (with Free or Premium accounts) to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Evo 150 integrated amp from within the Spotify app (for Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world. Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. All files on Spotify can stream up to 320kbps, which is MP3 quality.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Evo 150. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Evo 150 integrated amp.
- Online Music & Internet Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeart Radio, YouTube Music, Qobuz, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 6.0+) device to the Evo 150. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the Evo 150.
- Multiroom Audio Distribution: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers and components (sold separately) throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or using the Google Assistant and your voice on a compatible Google Home device.
- Google Assistant Voice Control: Purchase a Google Assistant enabled smart speaker (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Evo 150 and your Google Assistant smart speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
- Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
- A separate Google Assistant smart speaker (sold separately) is required for voice control. You will also need to agree to Google's Privacy Statement to use voice control.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) through the Evo 150 and other compatible AirPlay 2 products throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Evo 150 integrated amp. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated amplifier.
UPnP Compatible: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated amplifier is a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) AV Client. Being a UPnP Client means the it can connect to UPnP AV servers on a network and browse and playback their music content. A connection to the internet is not strictly needed for this. The Evo 150 just needs to be able to connect to the server to access its content. Most operating systems and/or music playback software now feature UPnP server facilities built-in. This allow you to share the music on the computer's hard-drive with Clients, such as the Evo 150. Your music library can include digital music located anywhere on your home network such as shared folders on your own computer (Windows or Mac), shared folders on another computer on your network, or music stored on a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device on your network. Using UPnP, the Evo 150 network integrated amp can connect to these devices and play back, or 'stream' non-DRM music files via the network to your home entertainment system. Compatible music files include -
- Hi-Res Audio Formats: WAV (16/24-bit; 32-384Hz), FLAC (16/24-bit; 32-192kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit: 32-192kHz), AIFF (16/24-bit; 32-192kHz), and DSD256 (11.2MHz).
- Compressed Audio Formats: MP3 (16-320kbps), WMA (32-320kbps), AAC (16-320kbps), and Ogg Vorbis (32-320kbps)
- Use a wired Ethernet connection for Hi-Res 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD 256 (11.2MHz) audio files.
- Not all servers support serving of all audio formats. Always make sure the server you choose also supports your formats of choice. For example, Windows Media Server does not currently serve FLAC format.
Roon Ready: Roon links your personal music files with the millions of tracks available on Tidal and Qobuz, so you can manage your music files and discover new music tracks. Roon will transform and enhance the experience of browsing your music. Photos, bios, credits, reviews, lyrics, composers and more are found automatically, delivering an interactive liner-notes experience for your entire collection.
- A Roon system starts a Core device that manages your music collection from many sources, and builds an interconnected digital library using enhanced information from Roon. The core can be your Mac or Windows PC with Roon software, or a server from one of Roon's hardware partners.
- You'll be able browse and play music using Roon apps on on Mac, Windows, Apple iPhone/iPad, and Android devices.
- Roon streams formats up to 384kHz/24-bit PCM and DSD256 to Roon Ready devices, and intelligently converts audio to the optimal resolution for other devices.
Note: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 is Roon Ready and not a Roon Core device. You will still need a Roon Core device (sold separately) to enjoy Roon.
StreamMagic App: The free StreamMagic App (for Apple iOS 12.1+ and Android OS 5.0+) gives you full control of the Evo 150 integrated amplifier; including power on/off, source selection, and volume up/down. The StreamMagic App also gives you access and control over UPnP servers and NAS drives connected to the same WiFi network via UPnP, Internet Radio from across the world, select online music services, USB media device plugged into the player, and Bluetooth audio. You can assign your favorite radio stations, playlists, albums and songs as presets (up to 20) using the StreamMagic app. The free app also features a high-resolution display for album art and track information.
Front-Panel Display & Controls: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 features a front-panel display a controls. The front-panel display provides song/artist/album information for Network, Bluetooth, and USB audio source. The display also offers album art during Network and USB audio playback. The front-panel controls consist of Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Source Selection, A/B Speaker Output, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track functions.
IR Remote: In addition to front-panel controls, the Evo 150 comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the integrated amplifier. The remote provides the same controls that are on the front-panel, plus a Mute button.
Note: Advanced music playback and browsing functions will be handled from the compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
12V Triggers/IR In: The 12V trigger output (3.5mm) can be used to automatically switch on and off another connected component. There is also another 3.5mm jack that can be used as a 12V trigger input or IR input. As a 12V trigger input, it can be used to automatically turn on the Evo 150 from a connected source device. As an IR input, it enables modulated IR commands from multiroom or IR repeater systems (sold separately) to be received by the Cambridge Audio Evo 150 integrated amplifier.
RS232 Port: The player's RS232 port is used for control of the Evo 150 in custom install situations from an external controller (sold separatley). A full protocol is available for the Evo 150 on the Cambridge Audio website.
Firmware/Software Updates: The Cambridge Audio Evo 150 will offer firmware/software updates through its wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection using the StreamMagic app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
9 questions already asked