About the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi
Wireless music streaming meets ample power
Wireless music streaming meets ample power
Lots of our customers are looking for an easy way to enjoy streaming music through their stereos. Fortunately, Cambridge Audio has designed a versatile, easy-to-use, and fabulous-sounding component made for audiophiles and neophytes alike. The Minx Xi is an integrated amplifier and Wi-Fi-enabled digital music system that offers lots of wireless listening possibilities. They essentially combined their 351A amp with their Stream Magic 6 network player. The result is a seriously cool component that wants for nothing except speakers and your smartphone.
Get connected, get the app, get endless hours of music
How many ways can you get music playing through the Minx Xi? Get it connected to your wireless home network, download the free Stream Magic app on your smartphone or tablet, and start counting. Through the app, you can browse and play songs from networked computers or NAS drives. Play tunes stored on your smartphone. Access endless music from Rhapsody®, cue up your favorite Pandora® station, or tune in Internet radio streams from around the world. The Stream Magic app brings all these sources together in one place, complete with album art, artist, and title info.
Bluetooth in the box
What about services not directly supported by the Minx Xi? If you can play them on your Bluetooth-compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer, then you can likely play them through the Minx Xi. Pop the included Bluetooth receiver into the rear USB port and you can stream music from almost any music source, including services like Spotify®. You can even send audio from YouTube™ to the Minx Xi over Bluetooth. In addition to wireless listening options, this amp has physical connections for CD players, media streaming boxes, MP3 players, and more — all in a component small enough to fit on a bookshelf.
The Minx Xi offers wireless streaming and control with your iPad or Android tablet (not included).
Spec-heavy...and just plain heavy
Think an amplifier with this degree of digital possibilities has to be lacking in the power department? Then you probably aren't familiar with Cambridge Audio. This British company makes gear for serious listeners, and the Minx Xi lives up to that proud tradition. This Class AB amp kicks out a conservatively rated 40 watts per channel. We heard it drive Cambridge Audio's Aero speakers to loud levels in a large room without breaking a sweat. The Wolfson digital-to-analog converter handles digital conversion with aplomb, as it does for so many high-end digital components, with high-resolution capability up to 24-bit/96kHz. And the toroidal power transformer and all-metal chassis give this amp legit audiophile chops, not to mention some pretty impressive heft given its small footprint.
Need speakers? Check out Cambridge Audio's selection of bookshelf speakers.
- 40 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Wi-Fi with the included dongle/antenna for music streaming over your wireless home network
- Bluetooth receiver included (BT100) for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- aptX® encoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible Bluetooth devices (may require firmware update)
- built-in streaming from Pandora, Rhapsody, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from a compatible networked PC or network attached storage (NAS) device
- front- and rear-panel USB inputs for playing music from a compatible mobile device, thumb drive, or external hard disk drive
- supports high-resolution playback for FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and ALAC (Apple Lossless) files (up to 24-bit/96kHz); also plays MP3, WMA, AAC and Ogg Vorbis files (up to 320kbps)
- high-quality Wolfson WM8728 digital-to-analog converter
- toroidal power transformer for low noise and high-current output
- 4-line display for artist, song, and station info
- free Stream Magic app lets you use your iPhone®, iPad®, or Android device as a music controller or remote
- compact chassis for easy placement on a table, shelf, or desk
- remote control
Connections and dimensions:
- 2 digital inputs (1 optical, 1 coaxial)
- 2 pairs of analog stereo inputs
- front-panel minijack (3.5mm) input for a smartphone or MP3 player
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs (1 front, 2 back including dedicated Bluetooth adapter input)
- binding post speaker connectors (removable for use with banana plugs)
- headphone minijack (3.5mm)
- detachable power cord
- 10-11/16"W x 3-1/2"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 12.8 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CAMBMINXXIiWH
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 3 "AAA" batteries
- Bluetooth module (BT100)
- WiFi dongle/antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Cambridge Audio Minx Xi reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio Minx Xi
Features & specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||40|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||47|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||55|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|Total Analog Inputs||3|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||1|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Audiophile Performance for Outstanding Reproduction: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi digital music system provides audiophile performance for outstanding reproduction of your digital music files. The Minx Xi incorporates a Class AB amplifier, toroidal power supply, Wolfson digital-to-analog converter, external clocking for jitter suppression, and a full-metal chassis.
- Class AB Amplifier + Toroidal Power Supply: The Minx Xi employs a 40W x 2Ch Class AB amplifier and oversized toroidal power supply for great sound, low distortion, and superb power efficiency. The system provides excellent bass performance across the entire volume range.
- Wolfson Digital-to-Analog Converter: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi features a Wolfson WM8728 DAC capable of 24-bit/96kHz for exceptional audio performance.
- External Clocking w/ Jitter Suppression: Music stored on computers and other hard drives inherently suffers from jitter, so the Minx Xi implements a host of enhancements, such as external clocking and jitter suppression to vastly improve the quality of digital music playback.
- All-Metal Chassis: The Minx Xi features all-metal casework and an ultra rigid chassis to prevent unwanted distortion caused by vibration.
Supported Audio Formats: Cambridge Audio's Minx Xi digital music system supports the most popular music formats via Network, UPnP, and USB connection.
- WAV containing uncompressed PCM 16-24bit/32-96kHz
- AIFF containing uncompressed PCM 16-24bit/32-96kHz
- Flac containing "lossless" compressed PCM 16-24bit/32-96kHz
- Apple Lossless (ALAC) containing "lossless" compressed 16-24bit/12-96kHz
- Microsoft Windows Media Audio (WMA 9 standard) with bit-rate of 32-320kbps
- MP3 (CBR or VBR) with bit-rate of 16-320kbps
- AAC, HE AAC, and AAC+ (CBR or VBR) with bit-rate of 16-320kbps
- Ogg Vorbis with bit-rate of 32-320kbps
Note: The Minx Xi does support WMA pro, WMA lossless, RAW, AU, or other music file types not mentioned.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi offers a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection to your home network.
- Ethernet (LAN): The Minx Xi digital music system is fitted with an Ethernet (R-J45) port to connect directly to your home's network router. Only connect the LAN port of the unit to an Ethernet port that supports 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX.
- WiFi: The Minx Xi also features Wi-Fi (with a WiFi Dongle/WLAN antenna) to wirelessly connect to your home network. The WiFi Dongle/WLAN antenna plugs into the rear-panel USB port labeled "WiFi Dongle". The Minx Xi supports 802.11 b/g/n (in 2.4GHz only) with WEP, WPA, WPA2 encryption.
Note: It is not recommended to use a Wi-Fi connection for content above 16 bits, 44.1/48kHz (if lossless/uncompressed).
UPnP Compatible: The Minx Xi digital music system is a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) AV Client. Being a UPnP Client means the it can connect to UPnP AV servers on a network and browse and playback their music content. A connection to the internet is not strictly needed for this. The Minx Xi just needs to be able to connect to the server to access its content. Most operating systems and/or music playback software now feature UPnP server facilities built-in. This allow you to share the music on the computer's hard-drive with Clients, such as the Minx Xi. Your music library can include digital music located anywhere on your home network such as shared folders on your own computer (Windows or Mac), shared folders on another computer on your network, or music stored on a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device on your network. Using UPnP, the Minx Xi can connect to these devices and play back, or "stream" non-DRM music files via your home network.
Note: Not all servers support serving of all audio formats. Always make sure the server you choose also supports your formats of choice. For example, Windows Media Server does not currently serve FLAC format.
Streaming Music Services: The Minx Xi digital music system lets you enjoy your favorite music streaming services through Cambridge Audio's own online music server. You'll have access to thousands of Internet Radio stations and a variety of online music services. Here's a quick overview of each of the supported services.
|Supported Services|| |
|Internet Radio||These are radio stations from around the world broadcast over the internet. Currently, the Minx Xi can access about 20,000 internet radio stations all sorted by Location, Language, and Genre. The list of available stations is constantly maintained and automatically updated to the unit via the internet.|
|Pandora||Pandora is a personalized internet radio service that helps you find new music based on your old and current favorite music selections. You can explore Pandora's vast music collection for Free. Simply drop the name of one of your favorite songs or artists into Pandora and it will create a custom internet radio station for you. It will quickly scan its entire collection of analyzed music (almost a century of popular recordings) to find songs with interesting musical similarities to your choice. You can create up to 100 personalized stations.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is an online music subscription service which lets you listen to anything and everything in their catalog (over 10 million songs). With subscriptions starting as low as $9.99 per month, you don't have to worry about paying for individual songs, ripping CDs, or managing files any longer.|
|BBC iPlayer Radio||BBC iPlayer Radio lets you Listen to live BBC Radio or catch up on the last 7 days of BBC programming from across the UK and World Service.|
|MP3 Tunes||MP3tunes offers a Free online music Locker (2GB) which can store up to 400 songs from your computer's music library. Once you have uploaded your MP3 music files to the online music Locker, you can access it directly on your Apple iOS or Android network device. You can also increase your Locker size, up to 50/100/200 GB with a monthly or yearly subscription.|
|Live 365||Live 365 lets you listen to thousands of internet radio stations featuring online music in every genre, including hip hop, jazz, new age, rock, classical, oldies, and more. You can choose between a Free commercial-interrupted subscription or a $7.95 per-month commercial-free subscription.|
|Podcasts||The Podcast services in your area will be available for access through the Minx Xi.|
Note: The Minx Xi supports up to 20 presets. These can be Internet Radio stations or streams from most online music streaming services.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming w/ aptX: The Minx Xi will support Bluetooth A2DP audio streaming w/ aptX using the included BT100 Bluetooth audio receiver. Simply plug in the included BT100 Bluetooth audio receiver into the Minx Xi's rear-panel USB port labeled "BT100". You'll be able to stream music and music apps from your Apple iPod touch/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Blackberry, or laptop/computer (Windows/Mac) to the Minx Xi. In addition to the Standard Bluetooth Codec (SBC), the Cambridge Audio system supports the high-quality Bluetooth aptX codec, so you can stream audiophile quality ("CD-like") music from your compatible Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as Android). Music navigation and song/artist information will still be done from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device.
Dual USB Ports: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi features two USB (type-A) inputs for music playback from a USB mass storage class device; such as select Android smartphone/tablets (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital music players, or thumbdrives. One USB port (max 500mA) is on the front-panel, while the other USB port (max. 1A) is on the rear-panel. Your USB device must be formatted in FAT32/NTFS format with non-DRM music files. Your USB device's battery will be charged while connected.
Note: The USB ports do not support Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad connection.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi is equipped with both analog & digital audio inputs to connect a variety of external audio components.
- Three Analog Inputs: The Minx Xi is fitted with three analog audio inputs. There is a 3.5mm aux input on the front-panel for connection of a portable audio device with a headphone jack and two stereo RCA inputs on the rear-panel for connection of a CD player, Tuner, etc.
- Two Digital Inputs: The Cambridge Audio digital music system is also equipped with two digital audio inputs. There is one coaxial (RCA) and one optical (Toslink) digital audio input capable of supporting 16-24bit/32-96kHz. The digital inputs can be used to connect a Blu-ray/DVD player, Gaming console, or Satellite/Cable box.
Analog Outputs: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi digital music system features speaker terminal outputs, a mono-sub output, and headphone jack.
- Speaker Terminals: The unit is equipped with four binding-post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), spade-connectors, or pin-connectors. The binding-post terminals pull out to accommodate single or dual banana plugs. The system can support speakers from 4-8 ohms.
- Sub Output: The Cambridge Audio digital music system is fitted with a mono-subwoofer output for connection of a powered subwoofer.
- Headphone Jack: The Minx Xi also features a front-panel 3.5mm headphone jack for connection of a set of headphones, so you can listen to your music privately. The system's speaker outputs will be muted while headphones are connected.
Simple Control: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi digital music system offers simple operation through its front-panel controls, IR remote, and remote app for Apple iOS/Android devices.
- Front-Panel Controls: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi digital music system features easy-to-use front-panel controls with various push-buttons and a rotary-dial.
- Slim-Line Remote: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi includes a slim-line IR remote control for wireless operation of the unit and your connected USB & Network devices (does not control Bluetooth devices).
- Stream Magic Remote App: The Minx Xi can also be controlled by your Apple iOS (5.0+) or Android (2.3+) device using the free Stream Magic Remote App and your wireless home network. From the palm of your hand you can access music stored across your home network, control streaming music services, browse Internet radio stations and USB media using your Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, track information and album art is retrieved and displayed automatically on your mobile device's touchscreen. You can also edit preset stations and streaming services, while setting up a queue of your favorite tracks which will continue to play even if your Apple iOS or Android device is switched off or loses its network connection. In addition, the Stream Magic Remote App supports volume control, input selection, and powering off/idle; all from your compatible mobile device.
Front-Panel LCD: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi features a front-panel display to indicate song/artist information from USB and Network connected devices. The unit will also display song/artist info and station identification for Internet Radio stations. No song/artist or station info is displayed for Bluetooth, analog, or optical/coaxial connected devices.
Firmware/Software Updates: The Cambridge Audio Minx Xi will offer firmware/software updates through its wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. Check here for the latest firmware/software updates.
Auto Power-Down: The Minx Xi will switch itself off after 15 minutes if it is not playing anything and there has been no user interaction with it during this time. As a default this is set to 15 minutes, but you can increase (up to 60 min) or decrease (down to 5 min) this time, or turn this feature off altogether if desired.
2 questions already asked