About the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6
Work magic with all your digital music
Work magic with all your digital music
Cambridge Audio's feature-packed Stream Magic 6 is partly a network music player, giving you instant access to Internet radio stations, online music services, and songs stored on your networked computers and hard drives. But it also moonlights as an amazing standalone DAC that serves up pristine, nuanced sound from just about any digital source you can think of.
On the one hand, you get a simple, easy-to-use playback system for your digital music library, complete with a free downloadable control app for your favorite smartphone or tablet. On the other, you get the same sheer audio processing power as found in Cambridge's highly acclaimed DacMagic Plus digital-to-analog converter. That's a combination that's bound to keep high-end stereo lovers happy for a long, long time.
Advanced upsampling cleans up every source
The Stream Magic 6 upsamples all incoming audio data — whether it's from an Internet radio stream, a lossless FLAC file stored on your network, or a connected component like a CD transport — with its ATF2™ (Advanced Time Filtering) technology. This system performs interpolation and data buffering, and re-clocks the audio signal to almost completely eliminate "jitter" — timing errors in the music signal that can add harshness, compromise clarity and cause instruments and voices to sound less distinct. The upsampled audio signal is then fed through twin Wolfson WM8740 24-bit DACs, for clean, detailed, noise-free sound and outstanding stereo imaging with every source.
Use your iPhone®, iPad®, or Android™ as the controllerWhile the Stream Magic 6 features a large, easy-to-grab control knob on the front for navigating through your music options, you'll have more fun if you get your smartphone or tablet into the act. Cambridge offers a free control app for your favorite Apple or Android device, which integrates all your music choices into a single simple interface. From the music stored on your home network devices, to thousands of Internet radio stations, to streaming services like Rhapsody® and Pandora® Internet radio, this app puts it all at your fingertips.
Connect your digital sources for better sound
The Stream Magic 6 lets you connect digital source components to your home audio or desktop system, for taking advantage of its excellent audio processing and D-to-A conversion:
- coaxial digital input: ideal for connecting a CD or DVD player, Logitech Squeezebox™ Touch, Sonos® Connect, or any other digital audio component with coax out
- optical digital input: ready to take on a set-top box, HDTV, game console, or other digital sources with optical digital output
- Type B USB jack: feeds digital audio from your computer into the Stream Magic 6's onboard digital-to-analog converter, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much clearer sound with stored music files
- plays music from your computers, networked hard drives, and the Internet
- supported streaming music formats: WAV (up to 24-bit/96 kHz), FLAC (up to 24-bit/96 KHz), AIFF, MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, and WMA
- free downloadable Stream Magic app lets you use your iPhone, iPad, or Android device as a music controller or full remote for the Stream Magic 6
- access thousands of Internet radio stations plus digital music services including AUPEO!, Rhapsody, Pandora® Internet radio, MP3 Tunes, Live 365, and more
- all input sources are converted to 24-bit/384kHz using Cambridge's advanced ATF2 upsampling technology
- dual high-performance Wolfson WM8740 24-bit DACs
- coaxial (S/PDIF) input accepts signals up to 24-bit/192kHz
- optical (Toslink) input accepts signals up to 24-bit/96kHz
- asynchronous USB (Type B) input accepts signals up to 24-bit/192kHz from your computer (free USB driver download required for Windows® PCs)
- front- and rear-panel USB inputs (Type A) for plugging in thumb drives or portable hard drives
- Ethernet port for wired connection to your network (required for 24-bit files)
- built-in Wi-Fi® for wireless connection to your home network
- accepts optional BT-100 Bluetooth adapter for wireless audio streaming from a mobile phone, tablet, or computer
- RCA analog stereo output
- balanced XLR analog stereo output
- optical and coaxial digital audio outputs (pass-through)
What's in the box:
- Network music player
- 69" AC power cord
- IR remote control (RC-Stream Magic 6)
- WLAN antenna
- 38" Mono-RCA cable
- Three "AAA" batteries
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6
Overview: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 network music player lets you access Internet Radio, select online music services, and your computer's stored music files on your home entertainment system. The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 offers wired (Ethernet) and wireless (WiFi) connectivity to your home network, and provides both analog and digital connections to your integrated amplifier or A/V receiver. The Stream Magic 6 network music player even offers a USB (type-B) input for direct connection to your computer. The Stream Magic 6 includes an IR remote control and supports the Stream Magic Remote App for Apple iOS and Android devices.
Audiophile Performance for Outstanding Reproduction: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 network music player provides audiophile performance for outstanding reproduction of your streaming music files. The Stream Magic 6 incorporates dual Wolfson digital-to-analog converters with bit-perfect signal path and jitter suppression, as well as Cambridge's advanced AtF2 upsampling technology and Dual Differential Earth Balanced Filter Topology for all sources.
- Dual Wolfson Digital-to-Analog Converters: : The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 employs two very high-quality Wolfson WM8740 24-bit DAC ICs in dual-differential mode for excellent stereo imaging. Since each channel has its own DAC to process information, completely separate and symmetrical analog filter circuitry can be implemented. This implementation allows both the left- and right-channel circuitry to operate identically, ensuring the Stream Magic 6 delivers fantastic sound-staging and stereo-imaging properties.
- ATF2 Upsampling Technology: The Stream Magic 6 utilizes an asynchronous up-sampling process called "Adaptive Time Filtering 2nd Generation" that intelligently interpolates (converts) incoming audio data from 16-24 bits (at any standard sampling frequency between 32-96kHz) to 24-bit/384kHz for dramatically improved musical reproduction. ATF2 will enhance the audio clarity, richness, and dynamic range of your compressed music.
- Dual Differential Virtual Earth Balanced Filter Topology: The Stream Magic 6 uses Cambridge Audio's proprietary Dual Differential Virtual Earth Balanced filter topology, configured as a low-order two-pole liner-phase Bessel filter, in order to take advantage of the achieved high-sampling rate. As a result your music will have extreme linearity with greater dynamic range.
- Bit-Perfect Signal Path w/ Jitter Suppression: Music stored on computers and other hard drives inherently suffers from jitter, so the Stream Magic 6 implements a host of enhancements such as bit-perfect signal path and jitter suppression to vastly improve the quality of digital music playback. Total correlated jitter is less than 200ps.
Phase Filter Select: The Stream Magic 6's 32-bit DSP employs Cambridge Audio's own proprietary digital filter algorithms with three different filter options available - Linear Phase, Minimum Phase, and Steep. Controlled from one switch on the front-panel, they are extremely clever audiophile topologies specifically developed for audio playback and all offer excellent sound quality, but differ slightly to appeal to a wide range of listening tastes.
- Linear Phase Filter: The Linear Phase Filter is the same as used in Cambridge Audio's flagship Azur 840C upsampling CD player. It uniquely features 'constant group delay' which delays all audio signals at all frequencies by the same amount - meaning all audio is fully time-coherent at the output.
- Minimum Phase Filter: The Minimum Phase Filter does not feature constant group delay, but rather has been optimized without feed-forward so that the impulse response exhibits no pre-ringing in the time domain. Many audiophiles have argued that the pre-ringing, as seen in nearly all digital filter designs, may affect the transient attack of percussive instruments. Minimum phase implementation eliminates this and is a technology only seen previously in some extremely high-end CD playback systems
- Steep Filter: The steep filter removes undistinguishable artifacts via re-calibration for a very slight roll-off at 20kHz, but an ultra-steep drop to the stop-band just after 20kHz.
Supported Audio Formats: Cambridge Audio's Stream Magic 6 network music player supports all the most popular formats via Network, UPnP, and USB connection.
- Flac containing losslessly compressed PCM 16-24-bit/32-96kHz. *An Ethernet connection (not WiFi) is required for 24-bit files.
- WAV containing uncompressed PCM 16-24-bit/32-96kHz. *An Ethernet connection (not WiFi) is required for 24-bit files.
- AIF containing uncompressed PCM 16-bit/32-48kHz.
- Microsoft Windows Media Audio (WMA 9 standard) with bit-rate of 32-320 kbps
- MP3 (CBR or VBR) with bit-rate of 16-320 kbps
- AAC, HE AAC, and AAC+ (CBR or VBR) with bit-rate of 16-320 kbps
- Ogg Vorbis with bit-rate of 32-320 kbps
Note: The Stream Magic 6 does not support ALAC, WMA pro, WMA lossless, RAW, AU, or other music file types not mentioned.
Stream Magic Music Services: With Stream Magic, powered by the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6, you can enjoy your favorite music streaming services through your home stereo system. Stream Magic allows you to access many of the world's favorite music streaming services for direct access through the Stream Magic 6 network music player. Here's a quick overview of each of the supported services.
|Supported Services|| |
|Internet Radio|| |
These are radio stations from around the world broadcast over the internet. Currently, the Stream Magic 6 can access about 20,000 internet radio stations all sorted by Location, Language, and Genre. The list of available stations is constantly maintained and automatically updated to the unit via the internet. If you register on the Stream Magic website (www.stream-magic.com) you will also be able to browse the stations and set presets on your units from your PC. You can also add stations to your units that are currently not in the Stream Magic's Radio database, suggest new stations to us, and more.
|Aupeo!||Aupeo! is a personal streaming radio station that lets you create your own individual music station or can recommend a station that matches your mood. Two subscription levels are available. A totally free service lets you experience the wonder of Aupeo! and listen to music you want, when you want. Or for just $4.95 per month ($49.95 annual subscription) you can enjoy higher quality, ad free music.|
|Pandora||Pandora radio is the personalized internet radio service that helps you find new music based on your old and current favorite music selections. You can explore Pandora's vast music collection for Free. Simply drop the name of one of your favorite songs or artists into Pandora and it will create a custom internet radio station for you. It will quickly scan its entire collection of analyzed music (almost a century of popular recordings) to find songs with interesting musical similarities to your choice. You can create up to 100 personalized stations.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is an online music subscription service which lets you listen to anything and everything in their catalog (over 10 million songs). With subscriptions starting as low as $9.99 per month, you don't have to worry about paying for individual songs, ripping CDs, or managing files any longer.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio delivers a variety of commercial-free music including Pop, Rock, Country, R&B, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Classical and much more, plus expert sports talk and analysis. You also get exclusive entertainment, talk, comedy, family programming, local traffic and weather and news from your most trusted sources. To listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio, you'll need to subscribe to SiriusXM Internet Radio service and obtain a username and password. SiriusXM Internet Radio is only available to residents of the United States and Canada.|
|BBC iPlayer Radio||BBC iPlayer Radio lets you Listen to live BBC Radio or catch up on the last 7 days of BBC programming from across the UK and World Service.|
|MP3 Tunes||MP3tunes offers a Free online music Locker (2GB) which can store up to 400 songs from your computer's music library. Once you have uploaded your MP3 music files to the online music Locker, you can access it directly on your Apple iOS or Android network device. You can also increase your Locker size, up to 50/100/200 GB with a monthly or yearly subscription.|
|Live 365||You can listen to thousands of internet radio stations featuring online music in every genre, including hip hop, jazz, new age, rock, classical, oldies, and more. You can choose between a Free commercial-interrupted subscription or a $7.95 per-month commercial-free subscription.|
|Podcasts||Podcasts are archived audio recordings downloadable over the internet. The Podcast services in your area will be available for access through the Stream Magic 6.|
Note: Internet Radio, Podcasts, Aupeo!, BBC iPlayer Radio, MP3 Tunes, and Live 365 is available worldwide. Pandora, Rhapsody, and SiriusXM are only available in the USA and Canada.
20 Presets: The Stream Magic 6 supports up to 20 presets. These can be Internet Radio stations or streams from most online music streaming services. UPnP/Local media cannot be set as a preset.
Firmware/Software Updates: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 will offer firmware/software updates through its wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. Check cambridgeaudio.com for the latest firmware/software updates.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 offers a wired or wireless connection to your home network.
- Ethernet (LAN): The Stream Magic 6 network music player is fitted with an Ethernet (R-J45) port to connect directly to your home's network hub. Only connect the LAN port of the player to an Ethernet port that supports 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX.
- WiFi: The Stream Magic 6 features built-in Wi-Fi (with a WLAN aerial antenna) to wirelessly connect to your home network. The Stream Magic 6 supports 802.11 b/g/n (in 2.4GHz only) with WEP, WPA, WPA2 encryption. The unit has a wireless range of 30-98'.
Note: It is not recommended to use a Wi-Fi connection for content above 16 bits, 44.1/48kHz (if lossless/uncompressed).
UPnP Compatible: The Stream Magic 6 network music player is a UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) AV Client. Being a UPnP Client means the it can connect to UPnP AV servers on a network and browse and playback their music content. A connection to the internet is not strictly needed for this. The Stream Magic 6 just needs to be able to connect to the server to access its content. Most operating systems and/or music playback software now feature UPnP server facilities built-in. This allow you to share the music on the computer's hard-drive with Clients, such as the Stream Magic 6. Your music library can include digital music located anywhere on your home network such as shared folders on your own computer (Windows or Mac), shared folders on another computer on your network, or music stored on a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device on your network. Using UPnP, the Stream Magic 6 can connect to these devices and play back, or 'stream' non-DRM music files via the network to your home entertainment system. UPnP connection supports up to 24-bit/96kHz and Gapless playback.
Note: Not all servers support serving of all audio formats. Always make sure the server you choose also supports your formats of choice. For example, Windows Media Server does not currently serve FLAC format.
USB Ports: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 network audio player is fitted with Dual USB type-A ports (1 front/1 rear) to connect a USB flash memory device or portable USB hard drive, and a rear-panel USB type-B port to connect your Windows or Mac computer.
- Dual USB (Type-A) Ports: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 features two USB type-A (1.1) inputs for music playback from a USB flash memory device or portable hard drive (up to 24-bit/96kHz). One USB port is on the front-panel, while the other is on the rear-panel. Your USB device must be formatted in FAT32 format with non-DRM music files. The Stream Magic 6 cannot supply greater than 500mA from the USB socket, itself. Good practice is to create folders for Artists within which you should have sub folders for each Album which then contain the tracks for that Album. Libraries with thousands of tracks in one folder will progressively slow down the Stream Magic product's media browsing.
- USB (Type-B) Input: A rear-panel 24-bit/192kHz
USB (type-B) port enables the Stream Magic 6 to be connected to your Windows
PC or Mac computer. The Stream Magic 6 will act as a very high-quality
DAC/sound-card with very low jitter for your computer, offering genuine Hi-Fi-quality
playback from your stored music and Internet radio. The Stream Magic 6 is
both USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) and USB 1.1 (Full-speed) USB port compatible. It
will also work with the new USB 3.0 ports where the PC will simply treat the
Stream Magic 6 as if it were a USB 2.0 or 1.1 device.
- PC Compatible: With the Stream Magic 6 switched to USB Audio 1.0 (this is the default setting), the Stream Magic 6 will work with the native Windows XP, Vista or 7 Audio 1.0 driver (no need to load any new driver) and accept audio up to 24-bit/96kHz. With the Stream Magic 6 switched to USB Audio 2.0, the Stream Magic 6 needs the Cambridge Audio USB Audio 2.0 Driver to be loaded and can then accept up to 24-bit/192kHz (and support ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive if required).
- Mac Compatible: No extra drivers are required to connect your Mac computer. With the Stream Magic 6 switched to USB Audio 1.1, the Stream Magic 6 will work with the native Mac OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) or above Audio 1.0 driver and accept audio up to 24/96kHz. With the Stream Magic 6 switched to USB Audio 2.0 the Stream Magic 6 works with the native Mac OS-X 10.5 (Leopard) or above Audio 2.0 driver and can accept audio up to 24/192kHz.
Note: Click here to download the Cambridge Audio USE Audio 2.0 Driver.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming (optional): The Stream Magic 6 will support Bluetooth audio streaming. All you need is Cambridge Audio's plug & play BT100 wireless audio receiver (779BT100, sold separately) to stream music from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, iPad; or other Bluetooth enabled smartphone tablet, laptop or MacBook to the Stream Magic 6. Simply plug in the Cambridge Audio BT100 Bluetooth Audio Receiver into the Stream Magic 6's rear-panel USB (type-A) port for wireless music streaming. The Cambridge Audio BT100 supports Bluetooth A2DP wireless audio streaming.
Note: The Cambridge Audio BT100 does not support Bluetooth AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) or HFP (Hands Free Profile).
Digital Inputs & Outputs: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 offers digital audio inputs & outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The Stream Magic 6 is fitted with two rear-panel digital inputs. The digital input consists of an optical (toslink) and coaxial (RCA) digital connection. The optical and coaxial digital input allow a wide range of digital source (CD, DVD, Game Console, etc.) to be connected to the Stream Magic 6. The optical digital connection supports up to 24-bit/96kHz, while the coaxial digital connection supports up to 24-bit/192kHz.
- Digital Outputs: A rear-panel digital output (optical/coaxial) allows pass-through of the selected digital source for recording purposes (no up-sampling performed). These outputs loop or pass-through unprocessed digital audio from the selected digital input. Both the optical and coaxial digital outputs are always active and can be used to connect and run equipment at the same time. A 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS signal can be passed through the unit's digital outputs. The 5.1ch signal is not decoded or processed (only pass-through).
Balanced & Unbalanced Outputs: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 features both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) audio outputs to connect to a wide variety of home stereo receivers and amplifiers.
- Unbalanced: The Stream Magic 6 features an unbalanced stereo analog RCA audio output for connecting your stereo receiver or amplifier.
- Balanced: The Stream Magic 6 features true balanced XLR analog audio outputs to connect high-end home receivers and amplifiers. XLR is a higher-quality output that can reject noise and interference with equipment with balanced inputs.
Note: The Digital Preamp Mode is used to connect the Stream Magic 6 directly to a separate power amplifier or active speakers. The Stream Magic 6 is supplied as default with Digital Preamp mode enabled. In this mode, the output from the Unbalanced and Balanced audio outputs is controlled by the front-panel Volume control. If you wish to disable this mode (and have fixed line-level level output from the Unbalanced and Balanced Audio outputs) switch the Stream Magic 6 off, then push and hold the Volume control in while switching the Stream Magic 6 on.
IR Emitter In (3.5mm): 3.5mm minijack input that enables modulated IR commands from multiroom or IR repeater systems to be received by the Stream Magic 6.
Control Bus In/Out (RCA): The Control Bus RCA input enables un-modulated commands from multiroom systems or other components to be received by the Stream Magic 6. The Control Bus RCA output provides control bus output commands for further downstream units. This can be useful if using the iPhone app to control the volume on a Cambridge Audio amplifier.
Front-Panel Controls: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 network music player features easy-to-use front-panel controls with various push-buttons and a rotary-dial.
Slim-Line Remote: The Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 includes a slim-line IR remote control for wireless operation of the unit.
Stream Magic Remote App: The Stream Magic 6 can also be controlled using the free Stream Magic Remote App for Apple iOS and Android. The new Stream Magic Remote App gives you full control of the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 from your Apple iOS or Android device. From the palm of your hand you can access music stored across your home network, control streaming music services, browse Internet radio stations and USB media using your Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, track information and album art is retrieved and displayed automatically on your mobile device's touchscreen. You can also edit preset stations and streaming services, while setting up a queue of your favorite tracks which will continue to play even if your Apple iOS or Android device is switched off or loses its network connection. In addition, the Stream Magic Remote App supports volume control, digital input selection, and powering off/idle; all from your compatible mobile device.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: The Stream Magic Remote App is compatible with the Apple iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (requires iOS 4.0 or later).
- Android Compatibility: The Stream Magic Remote App is compatible with the Android 2.3 and up.
Note: Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same network as the Stream Magic 6.
Ground/Lift Switch: When Grounded, the Stream Magic 6 is connected to the earth connection of the PC directly. When Lifted the ground connection is made via a network designed to break any hum loops that may be caused by the source equipment. The Grounded setting is recommended, unless audible hum is experienced.
2 questions already asked