About the Grado GS2000e
Grado's first hybrid wood headphones
Grado's first hybrid wood headphones
Grado hand-built the GS2000e earcups from mahogany and maple for a pleasant look and refined sound.
If you don't know the Grado story, it's one of my favorites. They're a family-owned business that's spent the past 60-plus years building headphones by hand, all from the same shop in Brooklyn. And the GS2000e headphones may be their most ambitious creation yet. For the first time, Grado has blended two types of wood to craft their gorgeous earcups — mahogany outer enclosures and maple inner enclosures. They both have distinct sonic properties that work together to shape the GS2000e's refined, natural sound.
Designed and crafted for top performance
The GS2000e's dynamic drivers are built specifically to excel within the hybrid wood enclosures. Those extra-large wooden chambers provide a wide-open soundstage. Within it, you can pick out vocals and instruments with pinpoint accuracy. These ‘phones manage to improve on the already stellar acoustic detail and clarity of the company's GS1000e headphones. And the blend of mahogany and maple helps mellow out the sound a bit too.
Over-sized earpads help keep the lightweight GS2000e headphones comfortable, and also help dampen resonance. The twelve-conductor connecting cable is terminated with 1/4" plug and a miniplug adapter is included. We recommend you plug into a headphone amplifier for the best sound quality.
- open-back, over-the-ear design with replaceable ear cushions
- made in Brooklyn, NY
- large wood earcups and air chambers hand-crafted from mahogany and maple
- outer enclosures made from mahogany
- inner enclosures made from maple
- Blending mahogany and maple results in naturally detailed, full-bodied acoustics
- 50mm dynamic drivers purpose-built and voiced specifically for the hybrid enclosures
- vented diaphragms (open-air) for spacious, low-distortion sound and extended bass response
- adjustable leather headband for a custom fit
- driver pairs matched to within 0.05 dB for better stereo imaging
- ultra-high purity, long-crystal copper (UHPLC) voice coil wire
- ultra-high purity, 12-conductor headphone cable terminated with a 1/4" plug
- 1/8" plug adapter and extension cable included
- frequency response: 4-51,000 Hz
- sound pressure level (at 1mW): 99 dB
- impedance: 32 ohms
- 14.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year (does not include earpads)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GS2000e
What's in the box:
- Over-ear headphones with attached 81" cable (1/4" plug)
- 1/4"-to-3.5mm Mini-Adapter cable (6" length)
- 12.25' Extension cable (male and female 1/4" connectors)
- "Celebrating Over 60 Years of Tradition" sheet
- Warranty info sheet
Grado GS2000e reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Grado GS2000e
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||4.046" x 2.609"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||4-51k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Grado e series: The Grado e series represents the company's third generation of headphones. Every aspect of the headphones; the drivers, cable, plug, even the glue; has been upgraded for better sound quality and dynamics. As in the previous series, the e series headphones are all made by hand at the Grado Lab facility in Brooklyn, NY.
Statement Series: With the introduction of the GS2000e, Grado's Statement Series has now expanded to a second model of headphones in this class, along with the GS1000e. The GS2000e features hand-crafted mahogany and maple merged real wood enclosures. The wood undergoes a proprietary curing process to enhance its natural tone properties. Because wood is subject to variations in density, the curing process ensures consistency of the signature Grado sound. The Grado Labs use Rhodium, the most expensive precious metal on earth, to prevent corrosion on the connectors. New driver cones and voice coil have been fine-tuned to be consistent throughout the frequency range.
Mahogany and Maple: The Grado GS2000e over-ear headphones is the first Grado to be built using two different species of wood. The GS2000e is hand-crafted out of real mahogany and maple. The Grado craftsmen combine the woods in the same way that luthiers have done for centuries to make fine instruments. Mahogany and maple each bring their own characteristics: maple allows the energy of the sound to be fully transmitted, while mahogany opens up the sound's harmonic structure. The natural wood and Grado Lab's advanced damping treatments help control and dissipate ringing in the chamber, and other unwanted resonances. The headphones utilize UHPLC (Ultra-High Purity, Long Crystal) oxygen-free copper voice coil wire and state-of-the-art driver design. The 50mm drivers in the GS2000e are matched to within 0.05dB for optimum stereo imaging. The headphones also have a genuine top-grain leather padded head strap.
12-Conductor Audio Cable: The GS2000e has a high-quality 81" 12-conductor audio cable with a 6.5mm (1/4") gold-plated plug. This new cable design exhibits greater control over the entire frequency spectrum. The plug has a sturdy molded sleeve with ample stress relief. Included in the box is a gold-plated, snap-on 6.5mm-to-3.5mm Mini Adapter Cable that you can use with your portable audio components, and a 12.25' extension.
Note: The size of the 3.5mm plug sleeve may cause interference with some smartphone cases.
Replaceable Cushions: The high-quality extra-large foam rubber circum-aural ear cushions can be removed for cleaning, if needed. If they show signs of wear, you can replace them with the Grado Replacement Cushion G.
Note: The headphone's ear cushions are not covered in the manufacturer's one-year warranty.
- Frequency Response: 4Hz - 51,000 Hz
- Sound Pressure Level: 99.8 (@ 1mW)
- Normal Impedance: 32 ohms
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?