About the Echobox Audio Explorer
A flask for FLAC?
A flask for FLAC?
Like the Echobox itself, the matching dock (available separately) is crafted from a solid piece of hardwood.
My first impression of the Echobox Audio Explorer? It's going to be tough getting this portable audio player into a stadium! The resemblance to a hip flask is remarkable — and deliberate. Its ergonomically curved hardwood casing fitted easily in my hand and felt comfortable in my pocket. The Explorer's sound was just as remarkable. Whether listening to high-res tracks or compressed MP3 files, I heard clean, natural sound with plenty of detail.
High-quality components in a solid wood body
A solid block of hardwood is hollowed out to make the Explorer's casing. The top and bottom are capped with durable machined aluminum. Inside is a powerful quad-core processor for fast, accurate operation. A Burr Brown 24-bit/192kHz digital to analog converter (DAC) delivers smooth sound.
The Explorer has a peak output of 300mW, so you can get the most out of your high-performance headphones. Just for comparison, we've seen pro headphone distribution amps with half that amount of output.
The player's 3.5" color touchscreen is easy to navigate. Echobox uses the Android 6.0 OS for reliable, simple operation. The top of the “flask” is a control knob. Press it in to turn on the player, or rotate it to control volume.
Wi-Fi for more music options
Built-in Wi-Fi lets the Explorer wirelessly connect to the internet, so you can access a world of music from services like TIDAL, Spotify®, Pandora®. And if you subscribe to their high-quality streams, this player can render all the details you're paying for. You can access other sites such as YouTube, and play high-resolution audio downloaded from sites such as HDtracks.
Stream with Bluetooth and DLNA
Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream stored music to compatible wireless speakers and headphones. The player's ideal for use with high-performance wireless powered speakers, such as the Audioengine B2 or the MartinLogan Crescendo.
Use an Android™ smartphone, tablet, or PC? The Explorer also has DLNA for advanced streaming options.
The Explorer features 64GB of internal flash memory. Its microSDHC card slot can accept a 200GB card. That gives you a maximum capacity of 264GB — plenty of room for those large high-res audio files.
- plays MP3, FLAC, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, and AIFF
- plays Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files (.dff and .dsf formats up to 2.8MHz resolution)
- DSD files are converted to PCM for playback
- Burr Brown 24-bit/192kHz PCM-1792 DAC
- Rockchip RK3128 Quad Core Processor @ 1.3 GHz
- Bluetooth 3.0
- built-in 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
- DLNA for streaming from Android™ smartphone, tablets, and compatible PCs
- player runs on Android™ OS 6.0 Marshmallow
- built-in internet browser
- streams internet videos from sources like YouTube
- 300mW peak output for use with high-performance headphones
- 64GB internal flash memory
- microSDHC card slot for cards up to 200GB
- 3-1/2" color LCD touchscreen
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 16 hours of playback
- high-speed USB interface (cable included) for drag-and-drop file transfer and battery charging
- output impedance: <1 ohm @16 ohms
- 3.5mm stereo headphone minijack
- mini Toslink optical output
- genuine solid hardwood chassis with machined aluminum details
- 2-3/4"W x 5"H x 1D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Explorer Zebra wood
What's in the box:
- Portable digital audio player
- 32" microUSB-to-USB cable
- Protective sleeve
- Getting Started Guide
- Warranty Card
- "Congratulations" card
More details on the Echobox Audio Explorer
High-Res Portable Audio Player: The Echobox Explorer Hi-Res portable audio player utilizes professional-grade audio hardware to recreate a truly lifelike listening experience, while revealing all the intricate details of your high resolution music files. State-of-the-art digital audio conversion technology with a Burr-Brown DAC chip, along with a powerful 300mw amplifier let you experience your favorite music in the way the artist intended you to hear it.
Hardwood Chassis: The Echobox Explorer's solid hardwood chassis was crafted with sound & design in mind. Its time-tested form factor provides superior ergonomics, curving to fit the shape of your hand and pockets.
Android Operating System + Quad-Core Processor: The Echobox Explorer Hi-Res portable audio player is running an Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS (operating system) with a Rockchip RK3128 quad-core 1.3GHz processor for intuitive control and quick responsiveness.
Note: This unit does connect to the Android Market Place or Google Play Store.
64GB Internal Memory w/ Expandable Memory: The Echobox Explorer Hi-Res portable audio player is equipped with a built-in 64GB internal memory. Its also outfitted with a microSD card slot for adding external memory - microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC (up to 200GB).
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Explorer utilizes a Texas Instruments PCM1792 DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that supports PCM formats up to 24-bit/192kHz, as well as DSD 2.8MHz audio files with PCM conversion. It also supports MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF, and Ogg Vorbis audio files.
300mW Headphone Amp: The Explorer features a Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 headphone amplifier with 300mW peak output (32Ω).
WiFi & DLNA Compliant: The Echobox Explorer offers built-in WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) with support for DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance), so you can connect to your home's WiFi network and stream audio from the Explorer to your DLNA certified AV receiver or powered speakers.
Internet Browser: The Echobox Explorer allows you to access the Internet through its built-in Internet Browser. You can access music, videos, sports, news, and more.
Tidal + USB Audio Player Pro Apps: The Echobox Explorer comes with Tidal and USB Audio Player Pro apps pre-installed. Tidal is a subscription based online music service which gives you instant access to over 48.5 million songs in lossless quality (a free 3 month trial is included with purchase). USB Audio Player Pro is a high-quality music player with advanced playback control, song/artist/album info display (including album art), and built-in EQ.
Bluetooth 4.1: Built-in Bluetooth 4.1 lets you wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from the Echobox Explorer to a set of Bluetooth-enabled headphones or powered speakers.
Analog & Digital Outputs: The Explorer is outfitted with a 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone output to connect your headphones, and a mini-toslink optical digital output to connect to an external DAC. There is also a microUSB 2.0 port used to connect the player to your computer, so you can transfer music files.
3.5" LCD: The Explorer incorporates a 3.5" (diagonal) LCD screen which displays song/artist/album info, including album art. The 3.5" LCD screen also lets you enjoy downloaded and internet video.
Rechargeable Battery: The Explorer's built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery (4,000maH) provides up to 8 hours of music playback (varies by music file type and volume level). It takes approximately 5-6 hours to fully charge the battery through its microUSB port, the included 32" microUSB-to-USB cable, and USB power source (sold separately).
Optional Explorer Dock: The Explorer Dock (sold separately) lets you charge the Echobox Explorer (sold separately) and transfer data with style. It's carved from a solid block of wood and features microUSB connectivity. Its available in Ebony, Mahogany, Maple, and Zebra wood-grain finishes.
- microUSB Connectivity: The Explorer Dock is outfitted with male microUSB connector and a female microUSB port, plus comes with a 31" microUSB-to-USB cable. The Echobox Explorer dock's onto the male microUSB connector, while the 31" microUSB-to-USB cable plugs into the microUSB port and your computer or a USB power adapter.
- Charge & Transfer: The Explorer Dock will charge the Echobox Explorer through the connection of a certified USB power adapter (sold separately). The Explorer Dock also lets you transfer your personal music collection stored on your computer to the Echobox Explorer.
3 questions already asked