About the Google Home
Two simple words open up a world of possibilities
Two simple words open up a world of possibilities
"Okay Google." This simple-but-powerful phrase is your key to accessing an array of helpful content, online music, and the full suite of Google Assistant features. Use this voice-activation phrase with your Google Home to start a playlist, hear the weather forecast, or add ingredients to your shopping list — all totally hands-free.
What is Google Home?
The Google Home is a compact, self-amplified speaker that uses voice commands to perform tasks. It connects to your network via Wi-Fi, and plugs into an AC outlet for power. Place it on your nightstand, dining room table, or kitchen counter, and use it as your "smart assistant" throughout your day.
The Google Home features a touch-sensitive top panel to control volume, pause a song, or start a task.
First-hand impressions of the Google Assistant
I was an early adopter of the Google Pixel XL — the company's flagship smartphone that has the Google Assistant baked right into the operating system. I use it all the time to set reminders, find out information around events, and to control my smart home devices.
I can say "Okay Google, turn on the heat," and my Nest thermostat responds accordingly. Or "Okay Google, turn on the switch," and instantly my WeMo Switch-connected lamp turns on. The Google Assistant makes my 1920s bungalow feel like a modern day tech hub.
Get helpful answers from Google
The Google Home makes it easy to stay in the know. It can hip you to weather, traffic, stock information, sports, and more. Simply talk to it in a conversation-level voice and it will delight you with news, facts, and even a bit of humor. (I'm certain the engineers had fun programming some of its clever and witty responses.)
Control compatible smart devices
Aside from telling jokes and playing music, the Google Home can control compatible smart home devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and more. Setup is done through the free Google Home app on your Android™ or Apple® device.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Google Home is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- hands-free help from the Google Assistant
- voice-activated Wi-Fi-enabled speaker
- use the phrase "Okay Google" or "Hey Google" to start a voice-activated command
- stream music, get answers from Google, and control compatible smart devices with your voice
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi delivers fast, reliable wireless streaming
- wirelessly stream from Spotify®, Pandora®, Google Music, and other online music services
- stay in the know about weather, traffic, finance, sports, and more
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- far-field microphones and natural language processing ensure reliable voice recognition
- multiple Google Homes can be grouped together so you can play the same song in every room
- optional base accessories allow you to customize Google Home with a simple twist and pull
- features a touch-sensitive top panel that you can use to control volume, pause a song, or start a task
- built-in mute button lets you put Google Home's microphones on standby
- omni-directional powered speaker delivers rich sound for music and spoken word
- 5-11/16" height x 3-13/16" diameter
- weight: 1.05 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GA3A00417A14
What's in the box:
- Voice-activated powered speaker
- Speaker grille/base (installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 6.5' DC cord)
- "Get Started" card
- "Just start with Ok Google" card
- Customizable bases brochure
- Warranty card
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Google Home reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Google Home
Google Home Powered Speaker: Google Home is a voice-activated speaker powered by the Google Assistant. Ask it questions or tell it to do things. It's your own personal Google assistance that is always ready to help. Thanks to Google's rich history in search, Google Home is ready for your questions. Get real-time answers including the latest on weather, traffic, finance, sports, local businesses and more.
- Voice Activated w/ Far-Field Microphones: A simple voice request triggers Google Home to play music, podcasts, radio and more. Far-field microphones and industry-leading natural language processing ensure Google Home hears you reliably. You can mute the microphone for privacy.
- Built-In Amplifier & Speaker: An integrated high-excursion 2" driver powered by a built-in amplifier and two 2" passive radiators deliver omni-directional sound with crystal-clear highs and rich bass.
Wireless Network Connection: The Google Home is equipped with built-in WiFi for a wireless connection to your home's wireless router and network. It uses dual band (2.4GHz/5Ghz) Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n/ac) for high-performance streaming. WPA2-Enterprise is not supported.
Google Home App: Use the Google Home App for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.2+ to connect the Google Home Speaker to your home's wireless WiFi network from your Apple iOS or Android device. You also get to configure compatible apps within the Google Home App, plus adjust various settings.
Multi-User Accounts: Google Home has added the ability for up to six people to connect their Google account to one Google Home. So now when you ask the Google Assistant for help, it can distinguish your voice from your spouse or kids, and you'll be able to hear your own personal playlists, your own commute time, your own schedule and more.
Chromecast Compatible: Using only your voice, you can initiate and control audio to any powered speaker, receiver, or TV with Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, or Chromecast built-in. You'll have access to Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume control of each compatible speaker.
Multi-Room Audio: Multiple Google Home devices can be grouped together to enjoy the same song in every room. Group any combination of Google Home, Chromecast Audio or Speaker with Chromecast built-in together for synchronous music throughout your home. Your favorite music and audio from Chromecast-enabled apps are instantly available to stream.
Note: Multi-room sync with video devices isn't currently supported.
Mobile App Audio Streaming: Stream audio from your smartphone to Google Home from 100+ Chromecast-enabled audio apps or through phone mirroring.
- Music & Radio: Play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio station. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio (subscription fees may apply).
- News, Weather & Sports: Get the latest news and weather from sources you trust. With Google Home, you can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Google Home, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using your voice.
- Podcasts: With Google Home, you can listen to your favorite podcasts and shows from anywhere in your home, using only your voice. Currently, you can't request podcasts from partner podcast players, like Spotify, Google Play Music, and TuneIn.
- Chrome Browser: By playing music from a Chrome browser tab, you can mirror what's playing on your computer screen onto Google Home.
- Android Audio: Stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to Google Home. This is also known as "mirroring". You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device.
- Some music providers, like Spotify and YouTube Music, require a subscription to play music from its Chromecast-enabled app. Also, you must cast from the YouTube Music app, not the YouTube app.
- You can block explicit music and video content from YouTube, Google Play Music, and other music/radio services from playing on Google Home and linked devices.
Streaming To Your TV: You can even use Google Home to control your TV with Chromecast or Chromecast built-in. You can initiate and control YouTube videos, as well as select TV shows and movies from Netflix with simply using your voice. In addition, you can enjoy a slideshow of your personal photos from your Google Photos library.
Hands-Free Calling: Google Home supports hands-free calling, so you can call friends, family, and businesses using just your voice. Call your own personal contacts or millions of businesses thanks to Google's extensive business listings. You can also call a number by speaking it aloud. Google does not record any of the phone conversation. Answering incoming calls and calls to emergency services are not supported.
Smart Home Automation: Google Home lets you control devices around your home from compatible smart home automation partners.
- IFTTT: You can create your own voice commands for Google Home or the Google Assistant on your Android device, Apple iPhone, or computer using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- Light Control: With Philips Hue or lights connected to Samsung SmartThings on Google Home, you can use your voice to control the lights around your house without touching a switch. Philips Hue Scenes are not supported.
- Smart Plugs & Switch Control: You can use your voice to control Belkin Wemo plugs or switches and plugs or switches connected to SmartThings on Google Home.
- Thermostat Control: Now you can use your voice with the Google Assistant and Google Home to control the temperature in your home, switch between heating and cooling modes, and more. Compatible thermostats include the Nest Thermostat, the Honeywell thermostat, or select thermostats connected to Samsung SmartThings.
Manage Tasks & Plan Your Day: Start your day the right way with Google Home. Wake up and hear the information you need without going online or opening your calendar. Also, set alarms and timers for things you need to do.
- Calendar & Event Information: Use Google Home and Google Calendar to get information about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar - using only your voice. Currently, you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google Account used to set up Google Home. You can't add events to your Google Calendar using your voice.
- Traffic & Commute Information: With Google Home, you can always get to work on time by hearing information about your commute, traffic conditions, and your estimated time of arrival. You can even call a car to come pick you up with Uber.
- Weather Forecast Information: With Google Home, you can listen to the current weather and upcoming forecast for your location using only your voice.
- Local Business Information: With Google Home, you can search for local places and ask for important information, like hours of operation or addresses.
- Shopping: Order everyday essentials & add items to your shopping list with your Google Assistant on Google Home. Add items to your shopping list and check what's already on it using Google Keep. Then order hands-free from your favorite stores with Google Express.
- Alarms: Set, check, cancel, stop, and snooze multiple recurring alarms. Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice.
- Timers: Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry and to track other activities using the timer on Google Home. It's great for the kitchen, but can be used in the living room, bedroom, and more. Set, pause, check, resume, and cancel timers.
- Flight Information: Use Google Home and Gmail to get status updates on your upcoming flights.
Get Answers: Google Home can help you find answers for many of your daily questions - including calculator, translations, unit conversions, nutrition, dictionary, and more.
- Calculator: Perform complicated calculations
- Dictionary: Get definitions of spellings for words.
- Facts & Info: Get answers to everyday questions.
- Finance: Ask about current individual stock prices or current points of an index, like the NASDAQ.
- Nutrition: Get nutrition information for ingredients or food.
- Translations: Get translations for words or phrases in supported languages.
Games: Lighten up your day or test your trivia smarts with jokes, trivia, games, and other fun on Google Home.
Touch & Remote Control: The top touch surface gives you total control, and a mute button lets you put Google Home's microphones on standby. You can also use your Android smartphone/tablet or Apple iPhone/iPad as a remote and operate everything from playback to volume.
Guest Mode: Guest mode makes it easier for your friends to cast their favorite media to your Google Home from an Android or Apple iOS device without connecting to your Wi-Fi network. As the host, you can keep your password private. Guests can cast from their Android or Apple iOS device as long as they are in the same room as the Google Home.
AC Power Adapter: The Google Home voice-activated speaker comes with an external AC power adapter (16.5V/2A) which needs to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector.
3 questions already asked