About the Google Home Max
"Okay Google, turn it up...WAY up"
"Okay Google, turn it up...WAY up"
I loving having voice control over music, but I can't use the original Google Home speaker for anything past background tunes. (I'm part of the “seriously into audio” crowd after all.) Enter the super-sized Google Home Max. It offers the same voice-command convenience of the Google Assistant, inside a much larger powered speaker with some real-deal sound credentials.
Packed with powerful drivers, plus sound tailored to your room
An impressive full-range driver array delivers sharp, detailed sound. It boasts impressive thump in the low end and a pretty spread-out, open soundstage for a single speaker. And it will optimize itself to your living room, study, den, or wherever you choose to put it.
Google's "Smart Sound" technology helps correct acoustic challenges, such as hard surfaces that can make bass sound too "boomy". The speaker's built-in mics will read and analyze your room, then adjust the sound accordingly — all automatically.
Voice control over your tunes — all over the house
Just say, "Okay Google," or "Hey Google," and the Google Home Max's six far-field mics are ready for your next music request. You can stream from several top music services. For my Google Assistant, I've set Spotify® as my default music service, so I can request by song, artist, or album.
You can also group other Google Home speakers together and play music in other rooms throughout the house. It will even give you voice control over powerful audio gear with Chromecast built-in — like A/V receivers, sound bars and powered speakers. (I've written about why I'm a fan of Chromecast bulit-in.)
Get helpful answers and more from Google
The Google Home Max also makes it easy to stay in the know. Weather, traffic, stock information, sports scores — Google's vast wealth of knowledge is one question or command away. Simply talk to your Google Home Mini in a conversation-level voice and it will delight you with news, facts, and even a bit of humor.
Set an alarm, play a podcast, or even make a call to someone in your phone contacts — the number of tasks grow every day.
Voice recognition for personalized service
The Google Home Max can recognize up to six different voices. Each person in the household can sync up their calendar, music services, and phone contacts to their voice. So when I say "Hey Google, call work," I'll get Crutchfield. When my wife says the same phrase, she gets the medical spa.
Control compatible smart devices
I synced up my Logitech Harmony Elite to the Google Home app. So whenever my kids hide or lose the remote, I don't have to tear up the house looking for it. I can just say "Hey Google, tell Harmony to turn on ESPN," and watch SportsCenter.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Google Home Max is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- hands-free help from the Google Assistant
- stream music, get answers from Google, and control compatible smart devices with your voice
- use the phrase "Okay Google" or "Hey Google" to start a voice-activated command
- voice-activated Wi-Fi-enabled powered speaker
- two 4-1/2" full-range drivers
- two 3/4" tweeters
- Google's "Smart Sound" room correction technology automatically optimizes the speaker's sound
- analyzes your room's reflections and sound challenges, then tunes speaker accordingly
- silicone base and acoustically transparent fabric cover
Some Google Assistant Functions:
- "Voice Match" recognizes up to six different voices for personalized answers
- each person can sync their Google account, contacts, calendar to their voice
- wirelessly stream from Spotify®, Pandora®, YouTube® Music, Google Music, and other online music services
- multiple Google Home devices can be grouped together so you can play the same song in every room
- control audio gear with Chromecast built-in by voice
- hands-free calls to businesses and your phone contacts
- stay in the know about weather, traffic, finance, sports, and more
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
General Info and Specs:
- six far-field microphones and natural language processing ensure reliable voice recognition
- switch on back to turn off microphones
- Bluetooth-enabled for wireless music streaming
- must be connected to Wi-Fi for Google Assistant
- built-in 1.5 GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex A53 processor
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi delivers fast, reliable wireless streaming
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- 13-1/8"W x 7-1/2"H x 6"D
- weight: 11.68 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GA00222-US
What's in the box:
- Voice-activated powered speaker
- 6.5" AC power cord
- Rubber base
- "Let's Get Started" card
- "Get To Know Your Google Home Max" booklet
- Safety + Warranty information
Google Home Max Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Google Home Max
Google Home Max Powered Speaker: Google Home Max is a voice-activated speaker powered by the Google Assistant that has been engineered for great sound quality. Ask it questions or tell it to do things. It's your own personal Google assistance that is always ready to help. Thanks to Google's rich history in search, Google Home is ready for your questions. Get real-time answers including the latest on weather, traffic, finance, sports, local businesses and more.
Voice Activated w/ Far-Field Microphones: A simple voice request triggers Google Home Max to play music, podcasts, radio and more. Far-field microphones and industry-leading natural language processing ensure Google Home Max hears you reliably. You can mute the microphone for privacy.
High Fidelity Stereo Audio w/ Smart Sound: Google Home Max delivers high fidelity audio thanks to its two-way, stereo-configured driver design. It features two 0.75" custom tweeters for crystal-clear highs and dual 4.5" woofers for deep, balanced bass powered by a built-in amplifier. All of this is inside a sealed rigid housing with an acoustically transparent fabric grille. With Smart Sound, Google Home Max uses its built-in microphones and audio software to automatically adjust the equalizer settings to match the acoustics of your room. This gives you the most balanced sound, wherever you put it. You can even pair two Google Max speakers for an even wider stereo image for room-filling stereo separation.
Wireless Network Connection: The Google Home Max is equipped with built-in WiFi for a wireless connection to your home's wireless router and network. It uses dual band (2.4GHz/5Ghz) Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n/ac) for high-performance streaming. WPA2-Enterprise is not supported.
Google Home Max App: Use the Google Home Max App for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.2+ to connect the Google Home Max Speaker to your home's wireless WiFi network from your Apple iOS or Android device. You also get to configure compatible apps within the Google Home Max App, plus adjust various settings.
Multi-User Accounts: Google Home Max has added the ability for up to six people to connect their Google account to one Google Home Max. So now when you ask the Google Assistant for help, it can distinguish your voice from your spouse or kids, and you'll be able to hear your own personal playlists, your own commute time, your own schedule and more.
Chromecast Compatible: Using only your voice, you can initiate and control audio to any powered speaker, receiver, or TV with Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, or Chromecast built-in. You'll have access to Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume control of each compatible speaker.
Multi-Room Audio: Multiple Google Home Max devices can be grouped together to enjoy the same song in every room. Group any combination of Google Home Max, Chromecast Audio or Speaker with Chromecast built-in together for synchronous music throughout your home. Your favorite music and audio from Chromecast-enabled apps are instantly available to stream.
Note: Multi-room sync with video devices isn't currently supported.
Mobile App Audio Streaming: Stream audio from your smartphone to Google Home Max from 100+ Chromecast-enabled audio apps or through phone mirroring.
- Music & Radio: Play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio station. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio (subscription fees may apply).
- News, Weather & Sports: Get the latest news and weather from sources you trust. With Google Home Max, you can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Google Home Max, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using your voice.
- Podcasts: With Google Home Max, you can listen to your favorite podcasts and shows from anywhere in your home, using only your voice. Currently, you can't request podcasts from partner podcast players, like Spotify, Google Play Music, and TuneIn.
- Chrome Browser: By playing music from a Chrome browser tab, you can mirror what's playing on your computer screen onto Google Home Max.
- Android Audio: Stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to Google Home Max. This is also known as "mirroring". You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device.
- Some music providers, like Spotify and YouTube Music, require a subscription to play music from its Chromecast-enabled app. Also, you must cast from the YouTube Music app, not the YouTube app.
- You can block explicit music and video content from YouTube, Google Play Music, and other music/radio services from playing on Google Home Max and linked devices.
Streaming To Your TV: You can even use Google Home Max to control your TV with Chromecast or Chromecast built-in. You can initiate and control YouTube videos, as well as select TV shows and movies from Netflix with simply using your voice. In addition, you can enjoy a slideshow of your personal photos from your Google Photos library.
Hands-Free Calling: Google Home Max supports hands-free calling, so you can call friends, family, and businesses using just your voice. Call your own personal contacts or millions of businesses thanks to Google's extensive business listings. You can also call a number by speaking it aloud. Google does not record any of the phone conversation. Answering incoming calls and calls to emergency services are not supported.
Smart Home Automation: Google Home Max lets you control devices around your home from compatible smart home automation partners.
- IFTTT: You can create your own voice commands for Google Home Max or the Google Assistant on your Android device, Apple iPhone, or computer using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- Light Control: With Philips Hue or lights connected to Samsung SmartThings on Google Home Max, you can use your voice to control the lights around your house without touching a switch. Philips Hue Scenes are not supported.
- Smart Plugs & Switch Control: You can use your voice to control Belkin Wemo plugs or switches and plugs or switches connected to SmartThings on Google Home Max.
- Thermostat Control: Now you can use your voice with the Google Assistant and Google Home Max to control the temperature in your home, switch between heating and cooling modes, and more. Compatible thermostats include the Nest Thermostat, the Honeywell thermostat, or select thermostats connected to Samsung SmartThings.
Manage Tasks & Plan Your Day: Start your day the right way with Google Home Max. Wake up and hear the information you need without going online or opening your calendar. Also, set alarms and timers for things you need to do.
- Calendar & Event Information: Use Google Home Max and Google Calendar to get information about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar - using only your voice. Currently, you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google Account used to set up Google Home Max. You can't add events to your Google Calendar using your voice.
- Traffic & Commute Information: With Google Home Max, you can always get to work on time by hearing information about your commute, traffic conditions, and your estimated time of arrival. You can even call a car to come pick you up with Uber.
- Weather Forecast Information: With Google Home Max, you can listen to the current weather and upcoming forecast for your location using only your voice.
- Local Business Information: With Google Home Max, you can search for local places and ask for important information, like hours of operation or addresses.
- Shopping: Order everyday essentials & add items to your shopping list with your Google Assistant on Google Home Max. Add items to your shopping list and check what's already on it using Google Keep. Then order hands-free from your favorite stores with Google Express.
- Alarms: Set, check, cancel, stop, and snooze multiple recurring alarms. Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice.
- Timers: Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry and to track other activities using the timer on Google Home Max. It's great for the kitchen, but can be used in the living room, bedroom, and more. Set, pause, check, resume, and cancel timers.
- Flight Information: Use Google Home Max and Gmail to get status updates on your upcoming flights.
Get Answers: Google Home Max can help you find answers for many of your daily questions - including calculator, translations, unit conversions, nutrition, dictionary, and more.
- Calculator: Perform complicated calculations
- Dictionary: Get definitions of spellings for words.
- Facts & Info: Get answers to everyday questions.
- Finance: Ask about current individual stock prices or current points of an index, like the NASDAQ.
- Nutrition: Get nutrition information for ingredients or food.
- Translations: Get translations for words or phrases in supported languages.
Games: Lighten up your day or test your trivia smarts with jokes, trivia, games, and other fun on Google Home Max.
Guest Mode: Guest mode makes it easier for your friends to cast their favorite media to your Google Home Max from an Android or Apple iOS device without connecting to your Wi-Fi network. As the host, you can keep your password private. Guests can cast from their Android or Apple iOS device as long as they are in the same room as the Google Home Max.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP, you can wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, podcasts, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (such as a smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop) to the Google Home Max. You also ca control basic playback functions from the speaker, like Play/Pause & Volume Up/Down.
Note: The Google Home Max does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication for taking and answering phone calls via Bluetooth.
Aux Input: In addition to WiFi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity, the Google Home Max is equipped with a rear-panel Aux input for a wired connection to almost any audio source with an analog line-level or headphone output.
Touch & Remote Control: The top touch surface gives you total control, and a mute button lets you put Google Home Max's microphones on standby. You can also use your Android smartphone/tablet or Apple iPhone/iPad as a remote and operate everything from playback to volume.
Mounting Options: With a carefully crafted shape and sensor for orientation, you can place the Google Home Max vertically or horizontally. A small rubber base is included that provides a non-slip surface for secure placement.
- Horizontal Dimensions: 13.125" (w) x 7.5" (h) x 7.0625" (d)
- Vertical Dimensions: 7.5" (w) x 13.125" (h) x 7.0625" (d)
Note: The rubber base adds approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker when positioned vertically or horizontally.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The included 6.5" detachable AC power cord plugs into the back of the Google Home Max and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Note: The Google Home Max is not battery powered.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?