About the Google Pixel Buds (2nd Generation)
Wearable tech for the Android™ crowd
The sweat-proof Google Pixel Buds fit securely and offer hands-free access to the Google Assistant and other Android features.
Wearable tech for the Android™ crowd
For us longtime Android users, this is refreshing to see. The latest Google Pixel Buds tap into some of our phones' coolest, most helpful features. Sure these true wireless headphones can play music and make clear calls from most newer phones via Bluetooth®, including iPhones®. But they are truly noteworthy for Google's built-in technology — and how seamlessly it works with Android phones.
Call up Google Assistant voice control by pressing or holding either earbud — or simply by saying "Hey Google." After a one-time setup through a device running Android 6.0 or above, the Google Assistant will recognize your command. Then you can follow it up with a request through the powerful, voice-detecting microphone array inside the Pixel Buds.
Get directions, real-time language translations, and much more
The Google Assistant lets you control music, send text messages, and search the web with your voice. But it's also the key to other Google apps that can feed crucial information right to your ears. For example, Google maps can give you step-by-step walking directions to and from a destination.
And Google Translate uses the Pixel Buds' built-in mics to pick up what others are saying, and can then deliver live translations for around 40 languages. I have a forthcoming interview over Zoom video conference with some of our business partners in Tokyo, so I think this feature could really come in handy.
Powerful, adaptable sound for music and podcasts
Of course, here at Crutchfield we like to focus on the sound. I haven't had a chance to audition these second-generation Pixel Buds yet, but the audio specs seem promising, too. They feature 12mm drivers — larger than you'll find in most true wireless earbuds — tuned to deliver clear, full-range sound.
The winged arc, curved design, and ear tips all work together to keep the Pixel Buds comfortable and secure
Vents on the earbud housing help keep you aware of your surroundings. Those powerful built-in mics can also pick-up and analyze external sounds. The Pixel Buds can automatically adjust the volume of what you're listening to, based on how loud or quiet it is around you.
Slim profile and secure, comfortable fit
Even though the Pixel Buds have larger drivers than most, they are designed to sit flush in most people's ears. You likely won't see them sticking out too far, if at all. And Google includes three sizes of soft ear tips to help you find a proper fit.
Google says their engineers scanned thousands of ears to help them come up with their "three point" anchor system that keeps the Pixel Buds stable and secure in your ear. Along with the ear tip itself, a winged arc at the top and a special curved design at the bottom help keep the sweatproof earbuds in place while you move.
A carrying case that's compatible with Qi wireless charging systems
The Pixel Buds offer about five hours of music listening on a full charge. And they come with a compact carrying case that banks 24 hours of power to recharge the Buds. Rather than plugging that case into the wall, you can simply place it in on a compatible Qi charger (not included) to refresh the charge wirelessly. An LED light will indicate the case is charging.
- built-in Bluetooth® for wireless music listening and phone calls
- compatible with Android, iOS®, or any device running Bluetooth 4.0 and above
- wireless range up to 100 yards in outdoor, obstruction-free settings
- no connecting cord between left and right earbud
- IPX4 sweat- and splash-resistant
- 12mm dynamic drivers deliver clear sound for music, podcasts, and calls
- dual beam-forming microphones with voice recognition for calls and Google Assistant
Special functionality with Android devices:
- hands-free voice control with the Google Assistant
- use the "Hey Google" to start a voice-activated command (after one-time setup)
- ask questions, dictate texts, and control music by voice
- requires an Assistant-enabled device with internet access running Android 6.0 or above
- easy, one-tap pairing with Google Pixel phone
- use Google's "find my device" feature to track down lost earbuds
- works with compatible Android phones connected via Fast Pair with location history enabled
- "Adaptive Sound" feature automatically adjusts volume according to level of external noise
- Google translate offers real-time translation for over 35 languages
- includes 3 sizes of soft silicone ear tips for a secure, comfortable fit
- winged tips and curved design help keep earbuds stable while you move
- control music, volume, and phone calls by tapping and swiping either earbud
- sensors automatically stop music in either earbud when removed
- earbuds can be used one at a time or as a pair
- built-in rechargeable batteries offer up to 5 hours of listening
- included carrying case banks up to 24 hours of power to recharge earbud
- wireless charging available with compatible Qi chargers (not included)
- USB-A to USB-C cable included for charging case
- weight: 0.37 ounces (both)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # GA01470-US
What's in the box:
- Left Pixel ear bud (Clearly White)
- Right Pixel ear bud (Clearly White)
- Charging case (white)
- 3 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 39" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Booklet
Google Pixel Buds (2nd Generation) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Google Pixel Buds (2nd Generation)
Features & specs
|Fit Style||True Wireless|
|Earcup Width x Height||0.81" x 0.77"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: Google's Pixel Buds true-wireless earphones deliver brilliant sound and clear calls without wires. With Bluetooth 5.0, you can pair the ear buds with any BT 4.0+ Android and iOS phone and tablets, as well as Bluetooth-enabled laptops. These IPX4-rated earbuds are sweat- and water-resistant, so you can wear them in any weather, or while you work out. The Pixel Buds come with three pairs of ear tips, a charging case, and a 1 meter USB-C charging cable.
Design: The Pixel Buds are designed for fit, comfort, and convenience. Thousands of ears were scanned to come up with a comfortable, yet secure, fit. Thanks to a 3-point anchor system, Pixel Buds stay in place, even while you work out. The outer portion of the earbud has a touch-sensitive panel that allows you to control your music playback and phone calls with tap and swipe actions. Other design features include:
- Drivers: Custom-designed 12mm dynamic drivers deliver clear, high quality audio.
- Adaptive Sound: The Adaptive Sound feature makes adjustments in the volume as you move between noisy and quiet environments. (Requires Android device running 6.0 and up to enable.)
- Passive Noise Reduction: Simply by design, the Pixel buds in-ear headphones have passive noise reduction.
- Spatial Vent: The earbuds have a small opening to help equalize the air pressure in your ear canal, while also helping you stay aware of the world around you.
- Touch Sensors: Each ear bud features capacitive touch sensors to control your phone calls and music playback using tapping actions. Touching and holding either ear bud accesses the Google Assistant. You can also control volume with a front-to-back or back-to-front swipe. Dual IR proximity sensors can detect if the ear buds are placed in your ears, so you can automatically pause the music by taking out an ear bud, and resume playback by putting the ear bud back in.
- Microphones: The Pixel Buds have dual beamforming microphones and a voice-detecting accelerometer to assure your voice is clear on your phone calls.
- Ear Tips: Three pairs of ear tips (S, M, L) are included to help you find the best fit.
Battery: Each Pixel Bud has its own rechargeable battery, plus the charging case. On a full charge, the Pixel Buds give you up to 5 hours of listening time and up to 2.5 hours of talk time. With a fully charged wireless charging case, the ear buds have up to 24 hours of listening time and up to 12 hours of talk time. A 10-minute quick charge gives the ear buds up to 2 hours of listening and 1 hour of talk time. The Wireless Charging Case is Qi-certified, and can be charged on a Qi Wireless Charging pad, or charged via the supplied USB-C charging cable.
Google Assistant: By pressing and holding either ear bud, you can connect the Pixel Buds to the Google Assistant. You can also access the Google Assistant by saying "Hey, Google." You must have a Google Assistant-enabled Android device with the latest version of the Google app. A Google account and an internet connection are also required.
Google Translate: Google Translate helps you to speak and understand another language in real-time. With the Conversation Mode enabled, you can speak in your native language and have it translated in real time to the language of your choice. Also, when another language is spoken into your device, it will translate it into your native language and play it into your Pixel Buds. Google Translate requires a Google Assistant-enabled Android device with the latest version of the Google app and the Google Translate app.
- Pixel Buds: W 0.81" x H 0.77" x D 0.72", Weight 0.2 ounces each (0.4 ounces pair)
- Wireless Charging Case: W 1.85" x H 2.48" x D 0.98", Weight 2.35 ounces (incl. Pixel Buds)