About the Paradigm Defiance V12
Deep, punchy bass you can feel
Deep, punchy bass you can feel
If you're after a solid low-end foundation for your home audio system, you need a sub that's up to the task. Paradigm's Defiance V12 can deliver thunderous lows with ease thanks to its carbon-loaded polypropylene woofer and an inverted rubber surround. Those pieces work together to keep the bass clean and controlled. You can even tune the sub to your room and make sound adjustments straight from your smartphone.
Convenient control and room correction in the palm of your hand
Through the Paradigm Subwoofer Control App (free for iOS® and Android™) you can adjust the sub's volume, low-pass filter, phase, more without having to mess with the controls on the back. The app includes three listening preset modes, Music, Movie, and Night, for dialing in the right bass for the occasion. It also has a nifty shortcut to the Anthem Room Correction (ARC™) app.
Running Anthem Room Correction is an easy way to get bass that's perfectly tailored to your room and furnishings. It works by playing a few test tones and measuring sound reflections in your listening space. Then it compares the results to lab standards and adjusts the sound accordingly by using a proprietary DSP algorithm. The final product is naturally blended, accurate bass.
If you have an iOS® device, you can use your phone's built-in microphone to handle the calibration. However, if you use an Android device, you'll need to grab an Anthem Room Correction microphone (sold separately). For the best results in either case, grabbing the calibration mic lets you use the latest, most powerful iteration of the ARC software on your computer.
Cut the cable
Cables can be pesky, especially in smaller or more cramped spaces. Luckily, Paradigm's Defiance WT wireless subwoofer kit (sold separately) lets you cut the cord. Just plug the transmitter into your receiver or amp and insert the kit's wireless receiver module into the custom-designed port on the back of the subwoofer. The transmitter can send a signal to the subwoofer from up to 50 feet away.
Get the most out of your sub
Where you place your sub within your room makes a big difference in how it sounds. Check out our tips for placement and setup to get the best performance out of your system.
- front-firing 12" carbon-loaded propylene woofer
- downward-firing port
- built-in 120-watt RMS amplifier
- compatible with the Paradigm Defiance WT wireless transmitter/receiver
- frequency response: 23-200 Hz
- variable 35-120 Hz crossover
- app-controllable through the Paradigm Subwoofer Control App (available for iOS® and Android™)
- Anthem Room Correction (ARC®) tunes the sub to your specific room
- selectable auto/on/off power switch
- speaker-level inputs
- RCA and LFE line inputs
- ARC USB port for room correction mic (sold separately) and firmware updates
- satin black finish
- cloth grille included
- 16-1/2"W x 17-15/16"H x 17-7/8"D
- weight: 42 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1080000052
What's in the box:
Paradigm Defiance V12 owner's manual
- Powered subwoofer
- 6.5'AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- Online Registration Card
- Important Unboxing Information
Paradigm Defiance V12 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Paradigm Defiance V12
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Carbon-loaded polypropylene|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||120|
|Frequency Response||23-200 Hz|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||Stereo RCA/LFE|
|Speaker-Level Inputs||Banana plugs|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||35-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|App Control||Apple iOS, Android|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
12" Carbon-Loaded Polypropylene Cone Woofer: The Paradigm Defiance V12 powered sub houses a 12" woofer with a carbon-loaded polypropylene cone for articulate, deep bass.
120 Watt Class D Amplifier: The 12" carbon-loaded polypropylene cone woofer is powered by a built-in Class D amplifier rated at 120 watts RMS and 240 watts Peak for dynamic, impactful, clean bass performance.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Defiance V12 powered subwoofer utilizes a bass reflex cabinet with a down-firing port. This carefully tuned down-firing port turns the floor into a tool for enhancing bass response, allowing more flexible placement options with no risk of turbulence or distortion.
Rear-Panel Volume Knob: The volume level knob on the rear-panel of the powered subwoofer can be dialed in to match the output level of your loudspeakers. All other controls (such as the Low Pass Filter and Phase) are handled through the Subwoofer Control app for Apple iOS and Android (see below). The volume level control can also be done from the app (there is a switch on the back of the subwoofer to select between using the volume level dial or the mobile app).
Subwoofer Control App: Simplify setup & tuning with the free Paradigm Subwoofer Control App (for Apple iOS 9.2+ and Android OS 5.0+) which wirelessly communicates with the Defiance V12 powered subwoofer via Bluetooth. The app controls volume, low-pass filter, and phase from your compatible smartphone or tablet device.
- Volume Level: The volume level knob on the rear-panel lets you adjust the loudness of powered subwoofer, so it can be dialed in to match the output level of your main speakers.
- Low Pass Filter: The Low Pass Filter setting allows you to select the frequency (30-150Hz) of the low pass crossover. The frequency selection is the point at which the filter starts and depends on how low your main speakers play. It is often best to set the LPF to "bypass" if your AV receiver/preamp offers bass management settings so there is no overlap or missing information between the main speakers and the subwoofer.
- Phase: The Phase setting allows you to adjust the timing relationship between your main speakers and the powered sub. You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer to 0 or180 degrees. Phase control is entirely dependent on numerous factors including the size and configuration of your listening environment, the placement of the unit, and seating arrangement. A good rule of thumb is to set the Phase at 0 if your sub is at the front of the room and 180 if it is in the rear.
Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology is a proprietary digital signal processing system that allows you to quickly and accurately optimize the performance of the Defiance V12 powered sub to better suit the unique parameters of your room. By listening to your room’s acoustic signature, ARC can tune the subwoofer to correct for the performance-robbing effects (reflections, resonances, standing waves, etc.) of the various surfaces and other obstacles in your room. Using your compatible mobile device or compatible computer and the Perfect Bass Kit (sold separately), Anthem Room Correction measures your space, compares it to lab standard using proprietary advanced DSP algorithms, and instantly removes performance-robbing anomalies. The result is realistic, accurate, deep bass.
- ARC Mobile App: You'll need to download the ARC Mobile App (for Apple iOS 9.2+ and Android OS 5.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device and wirelessly connect your mobile device to the V12 powered subwoofer via Bluetooth. With a compatible Apple iOS device, you can use the microphone built into the Apple device or the Perfect Bass Kit (sold separately) for measurements. With a compatible Android OS device, you'll need to use the Perfect Bass Kit (sold separately) for measurement. *Android OS devices cannot use their built-in microphone for measurement.
- ARC Computer Software: You'll need to download the ARC Genesis software (for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 and Mac (10.12+), plus connect the the Perfect Bass Kit (sold separately) and the V12 powered subwoofer to your compatible Windows PC or Mac computer via USB to take, configure, and store room correction measurements.
Line-Level & Speaker-Level Inputs: The Paradigm Defiance V12 powered sub is outfitted with both line-level and speaker-level inputs; including a LFE input, Stereo RCA input, and Banana-type connector input. The LFE input is shared with the "Right" input of the Stereo RCA input.
- LFE: The Level LFE Input (shared with the "Right" input of the stereo RCA input) can be used to connect the powered subwoofer to to the LFE Out/Sub-Out on your AV receiver or AV preamp/processor. The powered sub's Low Pass Filter should be set to "Bypass", since the LFE signals are controlled from your AV receiver/preamplifier.
- Stereo RCA: The stereo RCA input can be used to connect the powered sub to the Main-Out or Pre-Out on your receiver, amplifier, or preamplifier. The setting of the powered sub's Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through the stereo RCA inputs.
- Banana Plugs: The speaker-level inputs consist of banana-type plugs that allow standard speaker cable be used for the powered subwoofer connection from your AV receivers or integrated amplifiers front main speaker outputs. To use these connections the speaker cable will need to be terminated using banana connectors (single or dual). The setting of the Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through speaker-level banana-type inputs.
Note: Only use one type of connection to connect the powered subwoofer to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamp/processor.
Optional Wireless Adapter: The optional Defiance WT Wireless Module (sold separately) lets you place the V12 powered subwoofer practically anywhere in your room without the need of inconvenient cabling and without sacrificing speed or performance. The Defiance WT Wireless Module features fast and clear 2.4GHz dynamic frequency selection with instant error correction and a 50' wireless range. The Defiance WT Wireless Module consists of a wireless transmitter and receiver.
- The WT's wireless receiver plugs into the USB-A port on the back of the Defiance V12 powered subwoofer.
- The WT's wireless transmitter features stereo RCA inputs that connect to the LFE our subwoofer output on your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier/processor.
Placement Options: For best sonic integration, locating the powered sub between your front speakers or beside one of them will usually provide the best bass performance. If this location is not possible, the subwoofer may be placed anywhere in the room without affecting the stereo image of your front speakers or the soundstage of your multichannel speaker system.
- Corner placement of the powered subwoofer provides the most bass, but sometimes at the expense of accuracy.
- A powered subwoofer placed near a wall usually provides a good balance of quantity and accuracy
- When using two powered subs, placing one in the front of the room and the other in the rear of the room usually provides the best bass performance and sonic integration.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Paradigm Defiance V12 comes with a 6.5' IEC 2-prong AC power cord that plugs into the back of the powered sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Auto Power On/Off: The Paradigm Defiance V12 powered subwoofer will automatically turn on when it senses and detects and audio signal at its LFE, RCA, or speaker-level inputs. The subwoofer will automatically turn off when no audio signal has been detected for a period of time.
NRC Partnership: Paradigm is partnered with Canada's world-renowned NRC in ongoing research to reveal the true nature of sound and human hearing. Findings influence design and performance specs, resulting in a uniquely realistic listening experience, backed by sound science.
This replaced a prior Paradigm PDR-12 subwoofer that served me well for many years. Clean base that blends in nicely with my Definitive speakers. I love the ability to control sub volume and settings via the Paradigm app.
Peter from Dover, MA