About the Paradigm Defiance V8
Add a little thump to your room
Add a little thump to your room
The V8 is the smallest subwoofer in Paradigm's Defiance Series, but don't let that deter you — it still packs quite a wallop. It's a high-performance subwoofer that's great for small-to-medium sized rooms, and it will give your music and movies a solid low-end kick. A carbon-loaded polypropylene woofer and inverted rubber surround work in tandem to keep the bass clean and controlled.
Get the most out of your sub
- front-firing 8" carbon-loaded propylene woofer
- downward-firing port
- built-in 75-watt RMS amplifier
- frequency response: 34-200 Hz
- variable 35-120 Hz crossover
- selectable auto/off power switch
- speaker-level inputs
- RCA and LFE line inputs
- satin black finish
- cloth grille included
- 12-3/4"W x 14-3/16"H x 14-1/8"D
- weight: 26.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1080000048
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6.5'AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
- Online Registration Card
- Important Unboxing Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Paradigm Defiance V8
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||Carbon-loaded polypropylene|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||Stereo RCA/LFE|
|Speaker-Level Inputs||Banana plugs|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||35-150Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||75|
|Frequency Response||34-200 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
8" Carbon-Loaded Polypropylene Cone Woofer: The Paradigm Defiance V8 powered sub houses a 8" woofer with a carbon-loaded polypropylene cone for articulate, deep bass.
75 Watt Class D Amplifier: The 8" carbon-loaded polypropylene cone woofer is powered by a built-in Class D amplifier rated at 75 watts RMS and 150 watts Peak for dynamic, impactful, clean bass performance.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Defiance V8 powered subwoofer utilizes a bass reflex cabinet with a down-firing port. This carefully tuned down-firing port turns the floor into a tool for enhancing bass response, allowing more flexible placement options with no risk of turbulence or distortion.
Rear-Panel Controls: The Paradigm Defiance V8 powered subwoofer offers rear-panel controls; including Volume Level, Low Pass Filter, and Phase.
- Volume Level: The volume level knob on the rear-panel lets you adjust the loudness of powered subwoofer, so it can be dialed in to match the output level of your main speakers.
- Low Pass Filter: The Low Pass Filter setting allows you to select the frequency (30-150Hz) of the low pass crossover. The frequency selection is the point at which the filter starts and depends on how low your main speakers play. It is often best to set the LPF to "bypass" if your AV receiver/preamp offers bass management settings so there is no overlap or missing information between the main speakers and the subwoofer.
- Phase Switch: The Phase switch allows you to adjust the timing relationship between your main speakers and the powered sub. You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer to 0 or180 degrees. Phase control is entirely dependent on numerous factors including the size and configuration of your listening environment, the placement of the unit, and seating arrangement. A good rule of thumb is to set the Phase at 0 if your sub is at the front of the room and 180 if it is in the rear.
Line-Level & Speaker-Level Inputs: The Paradigm Defiance V8 powered sub is outfitted with both line-level and speaker-level inputs; including a LFE input, Stereo RCA input, and Banana-type connector input. The LFE input is shared with the "Right" input of the Stereo RCA input.
- LFE: The Level LFE Input (shared with the "Right" input of the stereo RCA input) can be used to connect the powered subwoofer to to the LFE Out/Sub-Out on your AV receiver or AV preamp/processor. The powered sub's Low Pass Filter should be set to "Bypass", since the LFE signals are controlled from your AV receiver/preamplifier.
- Stereo RCA: The stereo RCA input can be used to connect the powered sub to the Main-Out or Pre-Out on your receiver, amplifier, or preamplifier. The setting of the powered sub's Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through the stereo RCA inputs.
- Banana Plugs: The speaker-level inputs consist of banana-type plugs that allow standard speaker cable be used for the powered subwoofer connection from your AV receivers or integrated amplifiers front main speaker outputs. To use these connections the speaker cable will need to be terminated using banana connectors (single or dual). The setting of the Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through speaker-level banana-type inputs.
Note: Only use one type of connection to connect the powered subwoofer to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamp/processor.
Placement Options: For best sonic integration, locating the powered sub between your front speakers or beside one of them will usually provide the best bass performance. If this location is not possible, the subwoofer may be placed anywhere in the room without affecting the stereo image of your front speakers or the soundstage of your multichannel speaker system.
- Corner placement of the powered subwoofer provides the most bass, but sometimes at the expense of accuracy.
- A powered subwoofer placed near a wall usually provides a good balance of quantity and accuracy
- When using two powered subs, placing one in the front of the room and the other in the rear of the room usually provides the best bass performance and sonic integration.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Paradigm Defiance V8 comes with a 6.5' IEC 2-prong AC power cord that plugs into the back of the powered sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Auto Power On/Off: The Paradigm Defiance V8 powered subwoofer will automatically turn on when it senses and detects and audio signal at its LFE, RCA, or speaker-level inputs. The subwoofer will automatically turn off when no audio signal has been detected for a period of time.
NRC Partnership: Paradigm is partnered with Canada's world-renowned NRC in ongoing research to reveal the true nature of sound and human hearing. Findings influence design and performance specs, resulting in a uniquely realistic listening experience, backed by sound science.