About the Paradigm Defiance X12
High performance bass to elevate your listening experience
High performance bass to elevate your listening experience
Paradigm brings a no-compromise approach to audio, and that approach led them to create their mighty Defiance-X subwoofer lineup. The Defiance X12 gives your home system a clean bass foundation with a low noise floor, using a hefty 12" woofer with a powerful magnet. It's also app controllable, and it includes an advanced self-calibration system for tuning the bass to your room.
A scientifically optimized driver and surround
Paradigm's pursuit of ultimate sound is deeply rooted in research. In studying how woofer cones and surrounds interact, [t]hey found that the spot where the two meet can cause some unwanted distortion, particularly at high excursion points. Paradigm found that by "overmolding" the woofer cone to the surround, they could drastically reduce distortion, while at the same time increasing the output of the subwoofer. Thus, their Active Ridge Technology (ART™) surround was born.
The Defiance X12 uses a lightweight, high-rigidity carbon-loaded polypropylene cone plus the ART surround. The bass remains tight and well-timed, accentuating all the low-end nuances your music and movies might have with ease. This sub boasts surprisingly low bass extension down to 20 Hz, so even if there's a deep, rumbling explosion or a room-shaking kick drum sample playing, the X12 can hit it deeply and with authority.
App control and room correction
Through the Paradigm Subwoofer Control App (free for iOS® and Android™) you'll be able to adjust the sub's volume, low-pass filter, phase, more without having to mess with the controls on the back. The app includes three listening preset modes, Music, Movie, and Night, for dialing in the right bass for the occasion. It also has a nifty shortcut to the Anthem Room Correction (ARC™) app.
Running Anthem Room Correction is an easy way to get bass that's perfectly tailored to your room and furnishings. The app lets you use your smartphone's mic or the included calibrated microphone to tune the sub. It works by playing a few test tones and measuring sound reflections in your listening space. Then it compares the results to lab standards and adjusts the sound accordingly by using a proprietary DSP algorithm. The final product is naturally blended, accurate bass.
Say goodbye to running a cable
Cables can be pesky, especially in smaller or more cramped spaces. Luckily, Paradigm's Defiance WT wireless subwoofer kit (sold separately) lets you cut the cord. Just plug the transmitter into your receiver or amp and insert the kit's wireless receiver module into the custom-designed port on the back of the subwoofer. The transmitter can send a signal to the subwoofer from up to 50 feet away.
Partnered with Canada's National Research Center
Paradigm is partnered with Canada's largest federal research and development organization, the National Research Center (NRC). The two research the nature of sound and human hearing together, and their findings influence the design and performance of Paradigm's loudspeakers and subwoofers. The result is a uniquely realistic sound that's backed by ample scientific research.
- front-firing 12" carbon-loaded polypropylene woofer with patented high excursion ART™ surround
- downward-firing high-velocity, low-turbulence port
- built-in 650-watt RMS amplifier with improved soft-clipping circuitry
- compatible with the Paradigm Defiance WT wireless transmitter/receiver
- frequency response: 20-230 Hz
- variable 30-120 Hz crossover
- app-controllable through the Paradigm Subwoofer Control App (available for iOS® and Android™)
- Anthem Room Correction (ARC®) tunes the sub to your specific room
- calibrated mic for ARC included
- selectable auto/on/off power switch
- speaker-level inputs
- RCA and LFE line inputs
- ARC USB port for room correction mic and firmware updates
- crafted in Paradigm's state-of-the-art Canadian facility
- satin black finish
- cloth grille included
- 18"W x 19-7/16"H x 19-7/16"D
- weight: 62 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1080000058
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 6'AC power cord
- ARC microphone
- 12" Minijack cable (3-pole)
- 10' microUSB-to-USB cable
- 6.5' miniUSB-to-USB cable
- 4 Spike feet
- 4 Hex-nuts
- Owner's Manual
- Online Registration Card
- Important Unboxing Information
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Paradigm Defiance X12
Features & specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Woofer Composition||Carbon-loaded polypropylene|
|Preamp-Level Inputs||LFE, Stereo RCA|
|Speaker-Level Inputs||Banana plugs|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||30-120Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||650|
|Frequency Response||20-230 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||3 Yaers|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
12" Carbon-Loaded Polypropylene Woofer with ART: The Paradigm Defiance X12 powered sub houses a 12" woofer with a carbon-loaded polypropylene cone for articulate, deep bass. The farther the driver can freely move, the deeper the bass it can generate. Patented ART (Active Ridge Technology) driver design "overmolds" durable driver surrounds to allow the farthest possible throw without distortion or destruction. Greater excursion results in a measured 3dB gain in output, with a 50% reduction in audible distortion compared to drivers held back by standard surrounds. Crafted from injection-molded thermoplastic elastomer, ART surrounds are more durable and more reliable than conventional surrounds, ensuring a lifetime of superior sound.
650 Watt Class D Amplifier With Soft-Clipping Circuitry: The 12" carbon-loaded polypropylene cone woofer with ART surround is powered by a built-in Class D amplifier rated at 650 watts RMS and 1300 watts Peak for dynamic, impactful, clean bass performance. The built-in Class D amplifier utilizes soft-clipping circuitry for ultra-low amplifier distortion and extremely clean maximum output levels.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Defiance X12 powered subwoofer utilizes a bass reflex cabinet with a down-firing port. This carefully tuned down-firing port turns the floor into a tool for enhancing bass response, allowing more flexible placement options with no risk of turbulence or distortion. The cabinet offers heavy-duty, reinforced construction with internal bracing to prevent unwanted vibration and coloration for deep, detailed and clean bass.
Rear-Panel Volume Knob: The volume level knob on the rear-panel of the powered subwoofer can be dialed in to match the output level of your loudspeakers. All other controls (such as the Low Pass Filter, Phase/Polarity, Listening Modes, and more) are handled through the Subwoofer Control app for Apple iOS and Android (see below). The volume level control can also be done from the app (there is a switch on the back of the subwoofer to select between using the volume level dial or the mobile app).
Subwoofer Control App: Simplify setup & tuning with the free Paradigm Subwoofer Control App (for Apple iOS 9.2+ and Android OS 5.0+) which wirelessly communicates with the Defiance X12 powered subwoofer via Bluetooth. The app controls volume, low-pass filter, phase/polarity, deep bass and much more from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. It also features 3 preset listening modes, a tone sweep, and a built-in shortcut to the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) app.
- Volume Level: From the app, you can adjust loudness of powered subwoofer. For most applications, a setting between -14dB and 0dB is adequate.
- Tone Sweep: A unique tone sweep feature assists users in locating areas in listening rooms where troublesome rattles or resonances may occur. A single press of a button allows you to initiate a tone sweep from 20-120Hz. If a rattle or resonance occurs in the room any frequency can be held, allowing you to investigate and identify the source of the unwanted noise.
- Low Pass Filter: The Low Pass Filter setting allows you to select the frequency (30-120Hz) and order (6dB, 12dB, 18dB, or 24db) of the low pass crossover. The frequency selection is the point at which the filter starts,while the order of the filter refers to how steep the roll off it is. These settings depend on how low your main speakers play. It is often best to set the LPF to "bypass" if your AV receiver/preamp offers bass management settings so there is no overlap or missing information between the main speakers and the subwoofer.
- Phase/Polarity: The Phase setting allows you to adjust the timing relationship between your main speakers and the powered sub. You can adjust the phase of the subwoofer from 0 to180 degrees in increments of 1 degree, plus invert the polarity of the phase. Phase control is entirely dependent on numerous factors including the size and configuration of your listening environment, the placement of the unit, and seating arrangement. A good rule of thumb is to set phase at 0 if your sub is at the front of the room and 180 if it is in the rear.
- Deep Bass Level: The Deep Bass Level setting allows you to adjust subwoofer output from -10dB to +10dB in the 20-30Hz range (a frequency range where peaks and dips of different amplitudes often develop in listening rooms). The Deep Bass Level can be used to modify your subwoofer's response to compensate for the room anomalies or to modify the subwoofers sound to your personal taste. The ideal setting is dependent on room size and construction, system configuration, and personal preference. As a rule of thumb, if your low-bass sounds weak, increase this control. If your low-bass sounds bloated, decrease this control.
- Listening Modes: The Listening Modes lets you apply preset listening modes to the subwoofer’s output. The Movie listening mode is an aggressive setting that maximizes device output for an especially explosive experience. Th Music mode (default) is balanced and best used for an accurate musical presentation. The Night listening mode reduces bass output and is best used for discrete playback
Note: The Subwoofer Control App offers pass-code protection to prevent your subwoofer settings from being changed.
Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology is a proprietary digital signal processing system that allows you to quickly and accurately optimize the performance of the Defiance X12 powered sub to better suit the unique parameters of your room. By listening to your room’s acoustic signature, ARC can tune the subwoofer to correct for the performance-robbing effects (reflections, resonances, standing waves, etc.) of the various surfaces and other obstacles in your room. Using the included calibration microphone and your computer or your compatible mobile device, ARC measures your space, compares it to lab standard using proprietary advanced DSP algorithms, and instantly removes performance-robbing anomalies. The result is realistic, accurate, deep bass.
- ARC Computer Software: You'll need to download the ARC Genesis software (for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 and Mac (10.12+), plus connect the included calibration microphone and the X12 powered subwoofer to your compatible Windows PC or Mac computer via USB to take, configure, and store room correction measurements.
- ARC Mobile App: You'll need to download the ARC Mobile App (for Apple iOS 9.2+ and Android OS 5.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device and wirelessly connect your mobile device to the X12 powered subwoofer via Bluetooth. With a compatible Apple iOS device, you can use the microphone built into the Apple device or the the included calibration microphone for measurements. With a compatible Android OS device, you'll need to use the included calibration microphone for measurement (does not support built-in microphone).
Line-Level and Speaker-Level Inputs: The Paradigm Defiance X12 powered sub is outfitted with both line-level and speaker-level inputs; including a LFE input, Stereo RCA input, and Banana-type connector input.
- LFE: The Level LFE Input can be used to connect the powered subwoofer to to the LFE Out/Sub-Out on your AV receiver or AV preamp/processor. The powered sub's Low Pass Filter should be set to "Bypass", since the LFE signals are controlled from your AV receiver/preamplifier.
- Stereo RCA: The stereo RCA input can be used to connect the powered sub to the Main-Out or Pre-Out on your receiver, amplifier, or preamplifier. The setting of the powered sub's Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through the stereo RCA inputs.
- Banana Plugs: The speaker-level inputs consist of banana-type plugs that allow standard speaker cable be used for the powered subwoofer connection from your AV receivers or integrated amplifiers front main speaker outputs. To use these connections the speaker cable will need to be terminated using banana connectors (single or dual). The setting of the Low Pass Filter control is applied to the signal received through speaker-level banana-type inputs.
Note: Only use one type of connection to connect the powered subwoofer to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamp/processor.
Optional Wireless Adapter: The optional Defiance WT Wireless Module (sold separately) lets you place the X12 powered subwoofer practically anywhere in your room without the need of inconvenient cabling and without sacrificing speed or performance. The Defiance WT Wireless Module features fast and clear 2.4GHz dynamic frequency selection with instant error correction and a 50' wireless range. The Defiance WT Wireless Module consists of a wireless transmitter and receiver.
- The WT's wireless receiver plugs into the USB-A port on the back of the Defiance X12 powered subwoofer.
- The WT's wireless transmitter features stereo RCA inputs that connect to the LFE our subwoofer output on your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamplifier/processor.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Paradigm Defiance X12 comes with a 6' IEC 2-prong AC power cord that plugs into the back of the powered sub and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Auto Power On/Off: The Paradigm Defiance X12 powered subwoofer will automatically turn on when it senses and detects and audio signal at its LFE, RCA, or speaker-level inputs. The subwoofer will automatically turn off when no audio signal has been detected for a period of time.
- 12V Trigger Input: The Paradigm Defiance X12 is equipped with a1 2V Trigger Input (3.5mm), allowing an external device (such as your AV receiver or preamp/processor) to turn the powered subwoofer on and off.
Rubber or Spike Feet: The Paradigm Defiance X12 comes with rubber feet (pre-installed) and adjustable spike feet to isolate the powered subwoofer from the floor. The rubber feet are ideal for hardwood, tile, laminate and vinyl flooring. The spike feet should be used on carpeted flooring. The spike feet screw into the bottom of the rubber feet. The spike feet will scratch and damage hard surface flooring.
- Dimensions With Rubber Feet: 18.0625" (w) x 19.4375" (h) x 20.8125" (d)
- Dimensions With Spike Feet: 18.0625" (w) x 19.875" (h) x 20.8125" (d)
Placement Options: For best sonic integration, locating the powered sub between your front speakers or beside one of them will usually provide the best bass performance. If this location is not possible, the subwoofer may be placed anywhere in the room without affecting the stereo image of your front speakers or the soundstage of your multichannel speaker system.
- Corner placement of the powered subwoofer provides the most bass, but sometimes at the expense of accuracy.
- A powered subwoofer placed near a wall usually provides a good balance of quantity and accuracy
- When using two powered subs, placing one in the front of the room and the other in the rear of the room usually provides the best bass performance and sonic integration.
Crafted In Canada: All Defiance X Series powered subwoofers are designed, engineered and manufactured in Paradigm's state-of-the-art Canadian facility. Paradigm is partnered with Canada's world-renowned NRC in ongoing research to reveal the true nature of sound and human hearing. Findings influence design and performance specs, resulting in a uniquely realistic listening experience, backed by sound science.