About the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
Big performance at an affordable price
Big performance at an affordable price
Whether you use them as the cornerstone of a two-channel music system or as surrounds in a home theater setup, a good pair of bookshelf speakers can do quite a lot more than their size would lead you to believe. The Monitor SE Atoms offer up lifelike, detailed sound at a surprisingly affordable price. Their high-performance tweeter and woofer are the workhorses of the operation, keeping things tight, clean, and articulate.
These speakers are more than capable of keeping up with the most demanding audio content, whether you're immersing yourself in classic rock or hip-hop, or watching a giant gorilla take on a nuclear dinosaur. For even more immersion and depth, you'll want to pick up one of Paradigm's subwoofers to fill out the low end. Something like the Defiance V10 or V12 would work well, depending on how much bass you're after.
Smooth highs from a smart tweeter design
Paradigm did extensive research into what makes a tweeter sound clear or muddy. That testing and analysis led to the patented X-PAL pure aluminum dome tweeter and PPA (Perforated Phase-Aligning) lens featured in the Monitor SE Series. This proprietary design uses the lens as refined phase plug — it blocks out a wide range of unwanted out-of-phase frequencies, giving the tweeter smooth, uncolored highs.
A lightweight, articulate driver
The bass/midrange driver is made of mineral-filled polypropylene. Boasting low mass and high rigidity, the material allows the driver to be agile enough to keep up with the most demanding music and films. The carefully designed surrounds help to control the linear motion of the cone while giving it a modern, low-profile appearance if you choose to leave the grille off. A rear-firing port helps to give the low-end a little extra oomph
Partnered with Canada's National Research Center
Paradigm is partnered with Canada's largest federal research and development organization, the National Research Center (NRC). The two research the nature of sound and human hearing together, and their findings influence the design and performance of Paradigm's loudspeakers and subwoofers. The result is a uniquely realistic sound that's backed by ample scientific research.
- 5-1/2" mineral-filled polypropylene mid/bass driver
- 1" X-PAL pure aluminum dome tweeter with PPA (Perforated Phase-Aligning) lens
- frequency response: 61-21,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- power handling: up to 100 watts RMS
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass reflex cabinet with rear-firing port
- cloth grille included
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- 7-1/8"W x 12-3/4"H x 11"D
- weight: 12 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1220000010
What's in the box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- 8 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Online Registration Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.5|
|Woofer Composition||Mineral-filled polypropylene|
|Frequency Response||61-21k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||26-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The Paradigm Monitor SE Atom bookshelf loudspeaker incorporates a 2-way driver design featuring a 1" X-PAL pure-aluminum dome tweeter with a patented Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA) Lens, plus a 5.5" mineral-filled polypropylene cone woofer with an inverted dust cap and down-roll surround.
- 1" X-PAL Dome Tweeter with Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA) Lens. The Monitor SE Atom bookshelf speaker features Paradigm's X-PAL pure-aluminum dome tweeter with a patented Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA) Lens. This exclusive design acts as a refined phase plug, blocking a wide range of out-of-phase frequencies which increases and smooths output without coloring the sound. Both visually stunning and functional, Paradigm's signature PPA Lens technology improves performance while also protecting the tweeter from getting damaged.
- 5.5" Mineral-Filled Polypropylene Cone Woofer: The Monitor SE Atom's high-performance 5.5" midrange/midbass woofer features a mineral-filled polypropylene cone with an inverted dust cap and down-roll surround. The woofer cone is both lightweight and rigid for clean, accurate midrange and midbass sound.
Computer Optimized Crossover: The Paradigm Monitor SE Atom bookshelf speaker employs a computer optimized 2nd-order crossover (2300Hz), engineered for seamless and smooth integration between the tweeter and midrange/midbass driver for dynamic sound reproduction with low distortion.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Paradigm Monitor SE Atom bookshelf speaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The speaker cabinet is available in a black or white finish. Both color selections come with a detachable black cloth grille.
Binding Post Terminals: The Paradigm Monitor SE Atom bookshelf loudspeaker is outfitted with binding post terminals th accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana-plugs (single only). To use banana-plugs, you'll need to remove the plastic inserts from the binding post terminals.
Mounting Options: The Monitor SE Atom bookshelf speaker can be mounted on stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelf, table, or other piece of furniture with a flat tabletop surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to isolate the speaker from the mounting surface. The self-adhesive rubber feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: The Monitor SE Atom does not included any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker.
Application & Placement Options: The Monitor SE Atom bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a 2ch stereo music application or as front and rear speaker in a multichannel home theater setup. Paradigm Monitor SE Series loudspeakers are designed to allow flexible placement while providing a very large window of sound throughout your listening room. Please observe the following placement guidelines as front and rear speaker to ensure the best performance possible.
- Front Speaker Placement: For the most accurate and natural timbre, place front speakers so that their high-frequency drivers are approximately at ear level. A pair of Monitor SE Series speakers should form an equilateral triangle between each other and the main seated listening position. To further optimize imaging, turn the pair of speakers inward (toe-in) so they point toward the listening position with their axes crossing just behind it. Placing front speakers in corners will over-emphasize bass and reduce overall clarity. Avoid corner placement. Position front speakers 8" or more from the wall behind the speaker and as much as possible from either side wall. This will ensure better bass performance and optimal midrange clarity.
- Surround Speaker Placement: A pair of Paradigm Monitor SE Series speakers may also be used as surround or rear speakers. Remember to keep these speakers well away from the main listening area for optimal surround-sound performance. When used as surround speakers, the Monitor SE Series speakers should be located on the side or behind the main listening area. When used on the sides, take care never to locate the speaker forward of the main listening position. If the speakers are placed along the rear wall as surrounds, it is suggested that the speakers be positioned fairly wide apart if possible.
Note: Paradigm Monitor SE Series speakers are designed to provide exceptional sound in a wide variety of applications and domestic settings. However, it is important to note that listening room construction, dimensions and furnishings all play a part in the quality of sound you will ultimately achieve. Your listening room will impose its own character on the performance capabilities of any speaker system. The extra care you take in correctly positioning the speakers will result in greater listening enjoyment.
Monitor SE Series: The Paradigm Monitor SE Series is a family of high-performance loudspeakers that consists of three floorstanding speakers (8000F / 6000F / 3000F), a bookshelf speaker (Atom), and a center-channel speaker (2000C). The Paradigm Monitor SE Series is packed with state-of-the-art speaker technology to produce music that sounds realistic and lifelike, plus deliver immersive and dynamic effects for movie soundtracks.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add a Paradigm Defiance Series powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Monitor SE Series loudspeaker for even more dynamic, bigger, and deeper bass response.
NRC Partnership: Paradigm is partnered with Canada's world-renowned NRC in ongoing research to reveal the true nature of sound and human hearing. Findings influence design and performance specs, resulting in a uniquely realistic listening experience, backed by sound science.