About the Paradigm Premier 100B
Audiophile-grade performance at a wallet-friendly price
Audiophile-grade performance at a wallet-friendly price
If you're looking to step up your home system's performance, you might be thinking you'll need to spend thousands to get to that next level. Luckily, Paradigm's Premier line was built to rival speakers costing much more. The Premier 100B bookshelf speaker is the smallest entry in the series, and it offers nuanced, audiophile-grade sound backed by careful research.
Meticulously crafted in Canada, this speaker comes loaded with state-of-the-art drivers in a heavily braced cabinet with your choice of furniture-grade finish.
Careful research and precise engineering
The amount of research Paradigm conducts on sound and speaker design always impresses me. Take the ART™ (Active Ridge Technology) surround used in this speaker's woofer. In studying how woofer cones and surrounds interact, they found that the spot where the two meet can cause some unwanted distortion, particularly at high excursion points. Paradigm discovered that by "overmolding" the woofer cone to the surround, they could get 50% more excursion and far less distortion than traditional surrounds. Both the patented 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter and the 5-1/2" mid/bass woofer use Paradigm's PPA (Perforated Phase-Aligning) lens as a refined phase plug to block out a wide range of unwanted out-of-phase frequencies. The result: both the tweeter and mid/woofer output smooth, uncolored sound.
The cabinet is made of 3/4"-thick, non-resonant MDF on all sides except the front. The front baffle where the tweeter and mid/bass are mounted is an inch thick to reduce diffraction (a form of distortion) and to improve sound characteristics.
Crafted in Canada
Premier Series speakers are made in Paradigm's 225,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility located in Mississauga, Ontario. That allows the company to have control over every step in the production process. They design, build, test, and tune every speaker there to ensure each one has the company's signature sound before it leaves the factory.
Partnered with Canada's National Research Center
Paradigm is partnered with Canada's largest federal research and development organization, the National Research Center (NRC). The two research the nature of sound and human hearing together, and their findings influence the design and performance of Paradigm's loudspeakers and subwoofers. The result is a uniquely realistic sound that's backed by ample scientific research.
- 1" X-PAL pure aluminum dome tweeter with PPA (Perforated Phase-Aligning) lens
- 5-1/2" carbon-infused polypropylene mid/woofer with high-excursion ART surround
- frequency response: 68-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- power handling: up to130 watts RMS
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- bass reflex (ported) design with rear-firing port
- made in Paradigm's state-of-the-art Canadian facility
- for the best results, Paradigm recommends using this speaker with high-quality speaker stands
- magnetic grille included
- furniture-grade gloss white finish
- 6-5/8"W x 11-1/8"H x 9-1/8"D
- weight: 12.9 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1230000011
What's in the box:
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- 4 Rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Online Registration Card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Paradigm Premier 100B
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.5|
|Woofer Composition||Carbon-Infused Polypropylene|
|Frequency Response||68-25k Hz|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-32|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The Paradigm Premier 100B bookshelf loudspeaker incorporates a 2-way driver design with a 1" X-PAL dome tweeter and 5.5" carbon-infused polypropylene midrange/midbass driver. A distinctive perforated lens in front of the tweeter and midrange/midbass driver increases and smooths output without coloring the sound, while also protecting the drivers from getting damaged.
- 1" X-PAL Dome Tweeter: The 1" X-PAL tweeter features Paradigm's exclusive Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA) Lens that protects the delicate pure-aluminum tweeter dome and acts as the Phase Plug, blocking out-of-phase frequencies for smoother, extended high frequencies with incredible detail and higher output.
- 5.5" Carbon-Infused Polypropylene Woofer: The 5.5" carbon-infused polypropylene woofer features a lightweight, and extremely durable high-excursion Nomex spider design that delivers a longer life of flexibility and performance. Nomex is 10xstronger than industry-standard cotton-based spider material. A super-strong die-cast basket features integrated heat sinks for higher power handling, for better bass, better dynamics, and less power compression.
Active Ridge Technology (ART) Surround: The midrange/midbass driver features Paradigm's patented Active Ridge Technology (ART) surround, made in-house and overmolded directly onto the midrange/woofer cone. This design achieves greater excursion, for a 3dB gain in output and 50% reduction in distortion. Crafted from injection-molded thermoplastic elastomer, ART surrounds are more durable and more reliable, ensuring a lifetime of superior sound.
Bass Reflex MDF Enclosure: The Premiere 100B bookshelf loudspeaker utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for higher efficiency and bigger, smoother bass response. The enclosure features heavy duty, non-resonant 3/4" MDF construction , with optimally placed interior bracing, and reinforced front baffles to ensure high-quality audio performance. The smooth front baffle enhanced with 1" MDF reduces diffraction and improves sound radiation characteristics. In addition, the tapered design of the speaker cabinet eliminates internal resonances, improves bass intensity, and adds to the elegance of the enclosure profile. The included cloth grille magntically attaches to the enclosure's front baffle.
Binding Post Terminals: The Paradigm Premier 100B bookshelf loudspeaker is outfitted with binding post terminals th accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana-plugs (single only). To use banana-plugs, you'll need to remove the plastic inserts from the binding post terminals.
Mounting Options: The Premier 100B bookshelf speaker can be mounted on stand (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), shelf, table, or other piece of furniture with a flat tabletop surface. Self-adhesive rubber feet are included to isolate the speaker from the mounting surface. The self-adhesive rubber feet add approximately 0.3125" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: The Premier 100B does not included any brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speaker.
Application & Placement Options: The Paradigm Premier 100B bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a 2ch stereo music application or as front and rear speaker in a multichannel home theater setup. Paradigm Premier Series loudspeakers are designed to allow flexible placement while providing a very large window of sound throughout your listening room. Please observe the following placement guidelines as front and rear speaker to ensure the best performance possible.
- Front Speaker Placement: For the most accurate and natural timbre, place front speakers so that their high-frequency drivers are approximately at ear level. A pair of Premiere Series speakers should form a equilateral triangle between each other and the main seated listening position. To further optimize imaging, turn a pair of speakers inward (toe-in) so they point toward the listening position with their axes crossing just behind it. Placing front speakers in corners will over-emphasize bass and reduce overall clarity. Avoid corner placement. Position front speakers 8" or more from the wall behind the speaker and as much as possible from either side wall. This will ensure better bass performance and optimal midrange clarity.
- Surround Speaker Placement: A pair of Paradigm Premier Series speakers may also be used as surround or rear speakers. Remember to keep these speakers well away from the main listening area for optimal surround-sound performance. When used as surround speakers, the Premier Series speakers should be located on the side or behind the main listening area. When used on the sides, take care never to locate the speaker forward of the main listening position. If the speakers are placed along the rear wall as surrounds, it is suggested that the speakers be positioned fairly wide apart if possible.
Note: Paradigm Premier Series speakers are designed to provide exceptional sound in a wide variety of applications and domestic settings. However, it is important to note that listening room construction, dimensions and furnishings all play a part in the quality of sound you will ultimately achieve. Your listening room will impose its own character on the performance capabilities of any speaker system. The extra care you take in correctly positioning the speakers will result in greater listening enjoyment.
Crafted In Canada: The Premier Series loudspeakers are designed, engineered and manufactured in Paradigm's state-of-the-art Canadian facility. Paradigm is partnered with Canada's world-renowned NRC in ongoing research to reveal the true nature of sound and human hearing. Findings influence design and performance specs, resulting in a uniquely realistic listening experience, backed by sound science.
Premier Series: Paradigm's Premier Series is a line-up of affordable high-performance loudspeakers consisting of two floorstanding models (800F / 700F), two bookshelf models (200B / 100B), and two center-channel models (600C / 500C). The Premier Series from Paradigm features exclusive audio technologies back by fundamental industry-leading audio research for a high-quality audio performance.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add a Paradigm Defiance Series powered subwoofer (sold separately) to the Premier Series loudspeaker for even more dynamic, bigger, and deeper bass response.