Amazon Echo Plus (2nd Generation)
Voice-activated virtual assistant and Wi-Fi®-enabled speaker (White)
From Amazon: Echo Plus 2nd Generation
From Amazon: Echo Plus Smart Home
Our take on the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd Generation) by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
“Alexa, play my cool jazz mix”
The latest generation of the Amazon Echo Plus has been redesigned to deliver clean, clear sound with full bass. Premium down-firing speakers with Dolby® processing create a rich, 360° soundfield. Use Amazon Alexa voice commands to play music from your favorite online services, or stream directly from a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth®. Voice commands can also call up a favorite playlist, adjust volume, and more.
Hands-free control for your home
You can use to the Echo Plus to control a variety of smart lights, switches, and thermostats from companies like Wemo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and more. It also has a built-in thermostat so you can monitor indoor conditions remotely.
The Alexa virtual assistant app can answer questions, read audiobooks to you, give you sports scores, find recipes and much more. All are activated by your voice.
The Alexa service continually adds new features and products it's compatible with. Amazon calls these features "skills," which can be downloaded from their website.
Echo Plus and sound
You can use voice commands to adjust the EQ of your Echo Plus. And you can even pair two of these speakers for rich, stereo sound.
The speaker has a 3.5mm stereo minijack you can configure for either input or output. So you can use the Echo Plus as a speaker for your portable player, or as a music source for your headphones.
The Echo Plus can also give you voice control over compatible speakers and components. Use the Echo Plus together with a Sonos Play:1, for example, and you have voice command for your entire Sonos wireless system. There are also Alexa-compatible home theater receivers and powered speakers you can use with the Echo Plus.
- connects to your home Wi-Fi network
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- array of built-in far-field microphones to pick up voice commands
- hands-free control of popular music streaming services and smart home devices
- built-in Zigbee smart home hub for controlling Zigbee-compatible devices
- built-in temperature sensor
- microphone mute button lets you choose when Alexa is listening
- top-mounted volume control buttons
- built-in Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android™, and iOS® devices
- dual downward-firing speakers with Dolby® processing:
- 3" woofer with bass reflex port and 3/4" tweeter
- wirelessly pair 2 Echo Plus speakers for stereo sound
- top-mounted manual volume ring
- 3-15/16" diameter x 5-7/8" high
- weight: 37.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Voice-activated powered speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- Quick Start Guide
- "Things to Try" card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Voice-Activated Powered Speaker: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) is a hands-free speaker you control with your voice. Echo Plus (2nd gen) connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, make calls, set alarms and timers, control smart home devices, and provide information regarding news, sports scores, weather, and more.
- 360° Omni-Directional Sound Powered by Dolby: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) features new premium drivers (a 0.8" up-firing tweeter & 3" down-firing woofer) powered by Dolby for 360° omni-directional audio with crisp vocals and dynamic bass response. You can also use your voice to adjust equalizer settings or pair with a second Echo Plus (2nd gen) for stereo sound.
- Far-Field Voice Recognition w/ ESP (Echo Spatial Perception): Tucked under its light ring is an array of seven microphones that use beam-forming technology and enhanced noise cancellation. With far-field voice recognition, the Echo Plus (2nd gen) can hear you ask a question from any direction - even while playing music. When you want to use Echo Plus (2nd gen), just say the wake word "Alexa" and the Echo Plus (2nd gen) responds instantly. If you have more than one Echo device, Alexa responds intelligently from the Echo you're closest to with ESP (Echo Spatial Perception).
- You can turn the Amazon Echo's microphone off by pushing the microphone on/off button on the top of the device. When the microphone on/off button turns red, the microphone is off. The device will not respond to the wake word, nor respond to the action button, until you reactivate the microphone by pushing the microphone on/off button again.
- You cannot connect multiple Alexa devices to each other and play the same requested audio at the same time.
Built-In WiFi (MIMO): The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) comes ready to connect to your home's WiFi network. It features Dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz), dual-antenna MIMO WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard WiFi. It does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) WiFi.
Alexa App: With the free Alexa App on Apple iOS 9.0+, Android OS 5.0+, Fire OS, and desktop browsers, you can easily setup (including WiFi network) and manage the Echo Plus (2nd gen) voice-activated powered speaker. The free Amazon Alexa App is a companion to your Alexa device for setup, remote control, and enhanced features. Interactions with Alexa are automatically mirrored visually on your Amazon Alexa App, providing more information as you want it. The Amazon Alexa App lets you easily manage your alarms, music, shopping lists, and more.
- Music Apps w/ Multi-Room: Use the Alexa App to connect music services you already use like Spotify, Pandora, and iHeart Radio. The new Multi-Room Music section allows you to designate a group for devices on the same WiFi network. Once created, group names can be used to control music playback.
- Smart Home w/ Routines: Setup your smart home devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, SmartThings, Insteon, Nest, and more. You'll be able to view the state and control your smart lights, locks, and thermostats. When you are on-the go, you can use the app to quickly check the status of your lock or turn off your lights. The new Routines section allows you to automate a series of Smart Home actions with one custom command.
- Calls & Messaging: With the Alexa App, you can call and message Amazon Echo device owners and anyone else with the Alexa App on their phones. When you're away from home, use the app to make a quick call or send a message to your family's Echo. Use Drop In to instantly connect with your devices for a call. For example, you can drop in to let the family know it's time for dinner or check in on the baby's nursery.
- Other Features: See what books are available to read from your Kindle & Audible libraries, plus enjoy Podcasts. View shopping, to-do lists, and Google Calendar while on the go. Control your timers and set custom tones for your alarms, and much more. The Alexa App is also where you discover and enable third-party skills.
Skills: Skills are voice-driven capabilities that enhance the functionality of the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) with Alexa. The Echo Plus (2nd gen) uses tens of thousands of skills and counting; new skills are being added all the time. You can search for and enable skills in the Alexa app or from the Alexa Skills store on the website. You can also see ratings and reviews to learn what other customers are saying about the thousands of skills available in the Alexa App. To use an Alexa skill, first enable the skill, and then make your request based on the example phrases shown in the app. If you know the exact name of the skill you want, you can say, "Enable [skill name] skill." Some skills may require you to link to an existing account and a separate subscription in order to use the skill.
Note: At this time, you cannot customize which content is available on specific devices. For example, music, skills, shopping lists are available on all Alexa devices registered to the same account as the content.
Alexa Voice Service: When you want to use the Echo Plus (2nd gen), simply say the wake word, "Alexa," and the Echo Plus (2nd gen) lights up and streams audio to the cloud, where the Alexa Voice Service is leveraged to recognize and respond to your request instantly. Once you say "Alexa", the audio stream includes a fraction of a second of audio before the wake word, and closes once your question or request has been processed. Alexa (the brain behind Echo) is built in the cloud, so it is always getting smarter. The more you use Echo Plus (2nd gen), the more it adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary, and personal preferences.
- Voice Profile: Voice Profiles give you the ability to teach Alexa your voice. Now when you then interact with your compatible devices, Alexa creates a personalized experience for you and each user in your home who creates a Voice Profile.
- Wake Word: When the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) detects the "Alexa" wake word, the light ring around the top of Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) turns blue to indicate that the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) is streaming audio to the Cloud. If you'd like, you can give each Alexa Echo device a distinct name.
- Wake-Up Sound: You can also enable a "wake-up sound", a short audible tone that plays after the wake word "Alexa" is recognized to indicate that the device is streaming audio.
- End-Of-Request Sound: You can also enable an "end-of-request sound" that will play a short audible tone at the end of your request, to indicate that the connection has closed and the device is no longer streaming audio.
Note: Alexa is developed to get better over time. Alexa uses your voice recordings and other information, including from third-party services, to answer your questions, fulfill your requests, and improve your experience and our services. When you set up the Echo Plus (2nd gen) or link third-party services with Alexa, Alexa begins processing some information, such as your music playlists. You can also help Alexa improve its voice services by providing feedback within History or by using Voice Training in the Alexa App.
Alexa Calling & Messaging: Now you can quickly call and send/receive voice messages for your family and friends via Alexa-all just by using your voice. You can send and receive Alexa messages, as well as place and receive Alexa calls between Echo devices and the Alexa App. You can place outbound calls to most phone numbers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico using the Echo Plus (2nd gen) and other Alexa enabled Echo devices.
- Calling: You can use supported Echo devices and the Alexa App to call another person who has registered for Alexa Calling & Messaging, or place an outbound call to most phone numbers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico for free. When you receive Alexa calls on your supported Echo device, Alexa will tell you that you have an incoming call and identify the caller. You also will see a rotating green light ring on the Echo device, and an incoming call screen on Echo Show and Spot devices. You can say "Alexa, answer" to pick up the call. Either person can end the call by saying "Alexa, hang up." When you receive a call, you also will receive a notification on your mobile phone and will see an incoming call screen in the Alexa App that lets you answer the call.
- Messaging: You can use supported Echo devices and the Alexa App to send voice and text messages to another person who has registered for Alexa Calling & Messaging. Messages are processed in the Cloud to convert voice messages to text, and vice versa. When you receive a message on a supported Echo device, you will hear an audio tone and see a visual notification. You will be able to retrieve the message on your supported Echo devices by saying "Alexa, play my messages." When you receive a message, you also will receive a notification on your mobile phone, and you will be able to view and play the message in the Alexa App. Alexa messaging does not support sending or receiving text messages to or from phone numbers.
- Drop-In: The optional Drop In feature will let you easily connect with your closest friends and family that have supported Echo devices. When someone drops in on your supported Echo device, you will hear an audio tone and see a visual indicator that someone is dropping in on you. The contact on the other side of the Drop In will automatically hear audio through your device.
- Alexa Calling & Messaging supports receiving Alexa calls only; it does not support inbound calls from phone numbers.
- You cannot call 911 and other emergency services using Alexa.
Music Listening: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) provides access to select online music services and the ability to setup a multiroom audio system with Amazon Music using multiple Alexa enabled devices.
- Music Apps: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) provides hands-free voice control for Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, and Spotify Connect. You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes, Google Play Music, and more to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music through your Alexa device. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you. In addition, you can us the Echo Plus (2nd gen) and Alexa to listen to Audible and Podcasts.
- Multiroom Music: Multiroom Music allows you to play and control music from Amazon, Amazon Unlimited, Amazon Prime, and some other 3rd-pary music providers across multiple, compatible Echo devices at the same time. You can tell Alexa to play music across your compatible Echo devices on the same WiFi network. Tell Alexa to play jazz in the kitchen, top pop in the family room, or play the same song throughout your whole home. To stream different music on multiple devices or on more than one Multiroom Music group at the same time, you must have an Amazon Music Unlimited Family plan.
Note: Subscriptions and fees will apply for online music services.
Home Entertainment Control: Amazon Alexa now offers home entertainment skills for select multiroom audio systems - including Sonos, DTS Play-Fi, HEOS, Bose SoundTouch, & Yamaha MusicCast (all sold separately); as well as Sony Android TVs and LG AI ThinQ TVs (sold separately). You'll be able to control key functions and features by simply using voice commands.
Smart Home: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) works with devices such as lights, switches, thermostats, and more from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, ecobbe, Wink, and more. Control multiple devices at scheduled times or with a single voice command, like locking the doors and turning off the lights when you go to bed. Echo Pluseven has a built-in Zigbee hub to easily setup and control your compatible smart home devices without the use of an external hub (some smart home devices may still require a separate hub)
- Lighting: With the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) and Alexa, you can control lighting products using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Outlets: With the Echo Plus (2nd gen), Alexa, and smart outlets, you can control electronics and appliances using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Thermostats: With the Echo Plus (2nd gen), Alexa, and compatible thermostats, you can control the temperature of your home using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Door Locks: With the Echo Plus (2nd gen) and Alexa you can control compatible door locks using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
IFTTT: The Echo Plus (2nd gen) with Alexa supports IFTTT, or "IF This, Then That," a third-party service that automates how your devices, apps, and websites work with each other through rules (or "Applets"). After you activate an Applet through the IFTTT website, Alexa can then trigger that IFTTT Applet when you interact with the Echo Plus (2nd gen).
Note: Currently, the Echo Plus (2nd gen) and Alexa can't be the action in an Applet. For example, you can't allow Alexa to notify you of new tweets on your Twitter account.
Amazon Prime Shopping: If you're a Prime member, Alexa has exclusive deals for you every day on everything from home goods to electronics. Amazon Prime members can ask the Echo Plus (2nd gen) through "Alexa" to order eligible products ordered before, many Prime products, and digital music tracks and albums. Your default payment and shipping settings will be used to place your order. You can require a speakable confirmation code, turn purchasing off, and see product and order details in your Alexa App. Just like orders placed through Amazon.com, orders placed through Alexa are subject to Amazon's Conditions of Use & Privacy Notice.
News & Information: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) with Alexa can help you stay connected to the news that matters most to you - like world & local news, traffic, weather, sports, and movie times.
- Flash Briefing: Flash Briefing lets you put together a personalized lineup of updates from news sources like NPR, CNN, Fox News, and CNET. If you've set up a voice profile, Alexa recognizes your voice and can catch you up on the latest without repeating old news.
- Traffic & Weather: Alexa can help you get ready for your day. Set your commute start and stop point, and Alexa can tell you how long your commute will take. Or ask Alexa how the weather's looking.
- Sports & Movies: Get scores and schedules for the major football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and soccer leagues or set up a personalized Sports Update to keep tabs on your favorite teams. Alexa can even tell you movie show-times at theaters near you.
Questions/Answers + Fun/Games: The Echo Plus (2nd gen) with Alexa taps into Yelp to provide you with info on local restaurants, shops, and other businesses. It also makes a great calculator and dictionary. You can even get fast facts on all type of topics from Wikipedia. Alexa also offers funny jokes and fun games for the family.
FreeTime For Kids: FreeTime on Alexa is an Alexa experience just for kids, available on the Echo, Echo Plus, Echo Dot, and Echo Dot Kids Edition. When you use FreeTime on Alexa, Alexa will play music, answer questions, read stories, tell jokes, and more with younger ears in mind. Certain Alexa features may differ when FreeTime on Alexa is enabled. For example, voice purchasing from Amazon is turned off and Alexa Calling and Messaging, if enabled, is limited to only within the household or with contacts you select.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Echo Plus (2nd gen) is also Bluetooth-enabled (A2DP/AVRCP) and acts as a Bluetooth receiver, transmitter, or controller. Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support provides audio streaming from your mobile device to the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen), or from the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) to a Bluetooth speaker or headphone. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) offers voice control of connected mobile devices - like your smartphone or tablet.
Note: Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Hands-free phone communication (HFP) is not supported. Bluetooth audio streaming cannot be multiroom distributed.
Aux Input: The Echo Plus (2nd gen) is outfitted with a 3.5mm Aux input for connecting an external audio source. The Aux input cannot be multiroom distributed.
AC Power Adapter: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) includes an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: The Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) is not battery powered.
Auto Updates: Because the Amazon Echo Plus (2nd gen) is always connected to the internet, updates are delivered automatically.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.