About the Amazon Echo Show 5
Compact, smart, and feature-packed
Compact, smart, and feature-packed
The versatile Amazon Echo Show 5 can display a variety of entertainment, information, and smart home sources.
The compact Amazon Echo Show 5 has a footprint about the area of a paperback book — ideal for a nightstand, kitchen counter, or home office. The 5-1/2" touchscreen display can be customized to show time, temperature, smart home device readouts, favorite photos, and more.
It has Amazon Alexa built-in, so you can just tell it to play music, or a podcast episode, or stream your favorite radio station. Or call up videos, TV shows and movies using voice commands.
Videos for entertainment and information
With an Amazon Prime subscription you can enjoy movies, TV shows and exclusive programming on your Echo Show 5. You can also search the internet. Display your favorite recipes with step-by-step instructions. Watch the latest news. Subscribe to Amazon Music? The Echo Show can display lyrics so you can sing along.
A world of audio
The Echo Show 5 can also stream music from your subscription services, such as Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora. Just say, “Alexa, play my Spotify 70's playlist.” You can also listen to internet radio stations and podcasts through TuneIn and iHeartRadio, or play your favorite SiriusXM channels.
If you're an Audible subscriber, the Echo Show 5 can read to you, picking up where you left off with another device.
Hands-free control for smart home devices
The Echo Show 5 can give you voice control of smart lights, switches, and thermostats from companies like Wemo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and more. It can also provide video feeds from your smart security cameras, and display readouts from your monitoring devices.
The Alexa service continually adds new features and products it's compatible with. Amazon calls these features "skills," which can be downloaded from their website.
Voice and video calling
Make hands-free calls with the Echo Show 5 using Skype. Or video chat with others who have the Amazon Alexa app or has an Echo device with a screen. An on/off button on the top of the Echo Show 5 lets you easily disable the camera and Amazon Alexa for privacy. And there's a shutter you can slide over the camera as well.
- connects to your home Wi-Fi® network
- built-in Bluetooth® lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- one 4-watt speaker
- 5-1/2" screen
- front-facing 1-megapixel camera
- watch videos and shows from Amazon Prime (subscriptions required)
- compatible with a range of wireless security cameras including Ring doorbells
- hands-free control of popular music streaming services and smart home devices
Amazon Alexa app:
- free download from Google Play and Apple® App store
- set up Amazon Alexa-enabled devices
- create and control a multi-room audio system with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices
- discover and enable Alexa skills
- view and edit to-do and shopping lists
- create routines for compatible smart home devices
- connect with music services including Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, and Apple Music (subscriptions required)
- connect with podcast and internet radio services such as TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and SiriusXM (subscriptions required for some services)
- hands-free calling
- to others with Alexa app
- to others with Amazon Echo devices with screens
- through Skype
- top-mounted control buttons
- volume, skip, play, pause, on/off
- microphone and camera on/off button for privacy
- camera shutter slides shut for privacy
- 5-7/8"W x 3-7/16"H x 2-15/16"D
- weight: 14.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # B07HZLHPKP
What's in the box:
- Voice-activated powered speaker and screen
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- Quick Start Guide
- "Things to Try" card
Amazon Echo Show 5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Amazon Echo Show 5
Smart Speaker & Screen: The Echo Show 5 has the same basic capabilities as the regular, voice-only Echo (like listening to music & asking questions), but the built-in touchscreen display adds plenty of new functionality. The Echo Show's touchscreen will give your more information about your Alexa queries (displaying a full weather report or the steps in each recipe, for example), and can be used to play videos, including news briefings from the likes of CNN, and content from YouTube and Amazon Video. It makes the perfect alarm clock for the nightstand in your bedroom.
5.5" Touchscreen & 1MP Camera: Voice responses from Alexa are now visually enhanced thanks to a built-in 5.5" touchscreen (960 x 480). Get the news with a video flash briefing from CNN, watch video content from YouTube & Amazon Video, see your Prime Photos, see lyrics with Amazon Music, and more with the Echo Show's 5.5" touchscreen. A built-in 1MP camera even lets you enjoy live video chats from family & friends that also have an Echo or the Alexa App.
Note: A buil-in cover slides over the camera for more privacy.
4-Watt Speaker: The Echo Show 5 houses a full-range 1.7" speaker powered by a built-in 4 watt amplifier so you can hear Alexa's responses, music soundtracks, audio from videos, and calls/messages more clearly.
Built-In WiFi (MIMO): The Amazon Echo Show 5 comes ready to connect to your home's WiFi network. It features Dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz), dual-antenna MIMO WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard WiFi. It does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) WiFi.
Alexa Voice Service: When you want to use the Echo Show 5, simply say the wake word, "Alexa," and the Echo Show streams your audio to the cloud, where the Alexa Voice Service is leveraged to recognize and respond to your request instantly. Once you say "Alexa", the audio stream includes a fraction of a second of audio before the wake word, and closes once your question or request has been processed. Alexa (the brain behind Echo Show 5) is built in the cloud, so it is always getting smarter. The more you use Echo Show 5, the more it adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary, and personal preferences.
- Voice Profile: Voice Profiles give you the ability to teach Alexa your voice. Now when you then interact with your compatible devices, Alexa creates a personalized experience for you and each user in your home who creates a Voice Profile.
- Wake Word: When the Amazon Echo Show 5 detects the "Alexa" wake word, a blue bar appears at the bottom of the touchscreen to indicate that the Amazon Echo Show 5 is streaming audio to the Cloud. If you'd like, you can give each Alexa device (Echo Show 5 or Echo Show 5 Dot) a distinct name.
- Wake-Up Sound: You can also enable a "wake-up sound", a short audible tone that plays after the wake word "Alexa" is recognized to indicate that the device is streaming audio.
- End-Of-Request Sound: You can also enable an "end-of-request sound" that will play a short audible tone at the end of your request, to indicate that the connection has closed and the device is no longer streaming audio.
Note: Alexa is developed to get better over time. Alexa uses your voice recordings and other information, including from third-party services, to answer your questions, fulfill your requests, and improve your experience and our services. When you set up the Echo Show 5 or link third-party services with Alexa, Alexa begins processing some information, such as your music playlists. You can also help Alexa improve its voice services by providing feedback within History or by using Voice Training in the Alexa App.
Far-Field Voice Recognition w/ ESP (Echo Spatial Perception): Equipped with two microphones, beam-forming technology, and noise cancellation, the Echo Show 5 hears you from any direction. With far-field voice recognition, the Echo Show 5 can hear you ask a question from any direction - even while playing music. When you want to use Echo Show 5, just say the wake word "Alexa" and the Echo Show 5 responds instantly. If you have more than one Echo device, Alexa responds intelligently from the device you're closest to with ESP (Echo Spatial Perception).
- You can turn the Amazon Echo Show 5's microphone off by pushing the microphone on/off button on the top of the device. When the microphone on/off button turns red, the microphone is off. The device will not respond to the wake word, nor respond to the action button, until you reactivate the microphone by pushing the microphone on/off button again.
- You cannot connect multiple Alexa devices to each other and play the same requested audio at the same time.
Alexa Calling & Messaging: The Echo Show 5 lets you call and send/receive voice messages for your family and friends via Alexa-all just by using your voice. You can send and receive Alexa messages, as well as place and receive Alexa calls, between Echo devics and the Alexa App. You can place outbound calls to most phone numbers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico using your Echo device or the Alexa App.
- Calling: You can use supported Echo devices and the Alexa App to call another person who has registered for Alexa Calling & Messaging, or place an outbound call to most phone numbers in the United States, Canada, and Mexico for free. When you receive Alexa calls on your supported Echo devices, Alexa will tell you that you have an incoming call and identify the caller. You also will see a rotating green light ring on Echo, Echo Plus and Echo Dot devices, and an incoming call screen on Echo Show devices and the Echo Spot. You can say "Alexa, answer" to pick up the call. Either person can end the call by saying "Alexa, hang up." When you receive a call, you also will receive a notification on your mobile phone and will see an incoming call screen in the Alexa App that lets you answer the call.
- Messaging: You can use supported Echo devices and the Alexa App to send voice and text messages to another person who has registered for Alexa Calling & Messaging. Messages are processed in the Cloud to convert voice messages to text, and vice versa. When you receive a message on a supported Echo device, you will hear an audio tone and see a visual notification. You will be able to retrieve the message on your supported Echo devices by saying "Alexa, play my messages." When you receive a message, you also will receive a notification on your mobile phone, and you will be able to view and play the message in the Alexa App. Alexa messaging does not support sending or receiving text messages to or from phone numbers.
- Video Chat & Drop In: The built-in touchscreen, camera, microphone, & speaker let you carry on live video chats with family friends that also have Echo devices or the Alexa App. You can also enable a new feature called Drop In for the special cases when you want to connect instantly with your closest family and friends or other Echo devices in your home. For example, you can drop in to ask what time dinner will be ready, see the baby's nursery, or check in with a close relative.
- Alexa Calling & Messaging supports receiving Alexa calls only; it does not support inbound calls from phone numbers.
- You cannot call 911 and other emergency services using Alexa.
Alarm Clock Functions: The Echo Show 5 is a great alarm clock for the bedroom and its compact size makes it the perfect addition to your nightstand by your bed. You can choose from several fun clock face designs and use Alexa to set alarms and timers with just your voice. The Echo Show 5's "ambient sunrise lighting" feature gradually brightens the 5.5" display screen 15 minutes before your alarm goes off (you are able to set a sunrise alarm between 4am and 9am).
Music Listening: The Amazon Echo Show 5 provides access to select online music services and the ability to setup a multiroom audio system with Amazon Music using multiple Alexa enabled devices.
- Music Apps:The Amazon Echo Show 5 provides hands-free voice control for for Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM. You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes, Google Play Music, and more to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music through your Alexa device. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you. You can even view Music lyrics for many songs from Amazon Music. The screen highlights the music lyrics to follow the words in the song.
- Multiroom Music: Multiroom Music allows you to play and control music from Amazon, Amazon Unlimited, Amazon Prime, and some other 3rd-pary music providers across multiple, compatible Echo devices at the same time. You can tell Alexa to play music across your compatible Echo devices on the same WiFi network. Tell Alexa to play jazz in the kitchen, top pop in the family room, or play the same song throughout your whole home. To stream different music on multiple devices or on more than one Multiroom Music group at the same time, you must have an Amazon Music Unlimited Family plan.
Note: Subscriptions and fees will apply for online music services.
Home Entertainment Control: Amazon Alexa now offers home entertainment skills for select multiroom audio systems - including Sonos, DTS Play-Fi, HEOS, Bose SoundTouch, & Yamaha MusicCast (all sold separately); as well as Sony Android TVs and LG AI ThinQ TVs (sold separately). You'll be able to control key functions and features by simply using voice commands. ds.
Smart Home: The Amazon Echo Show 5 works with devices such as lights, switches, thermostats, and more from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, Insteon, and more. Ask Alexa to switch on a lamp, turn on the fan, dim the lights, or increase the temperature.
- Cameras: After you connect a compatible smart home camera, you can say - "Show [camera name] camera," to view the audio and video feed on your Echo Show 5's touchscreen display.
- Lighting: With the Amazon Echo Show 5 and Alexa, you can control lighting products using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Outlets: With the Echo Show 5, Alexa, and smart outlets, you can control electronics and appliances using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Thermostats: With the Echo Show 5, Alexa, and compatible thermostats, you can control the temperature of your home using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
- Door Locks: With the Echo Show 5 and Alexa you can control compatible door locks using your voice, smartphone, or tablet.
IFTTT: The Echo Show 5 with Alexa supports IFTTT, or "IF This, Then That," a third-party service that automates how your devices, apps, and websites work with each other through rules (or "Applets"). After you activate an Applet through the IFFTT website, Alexa can then trigger that IFTTT Applet when you interact with the Echo Show 5.
Note: Currently, the Echo Show 5 and Alexa can't be the action in an Applet. For example, you can't allow Alexa to notify you of new tweets on your Twitter account.
Amazon Prime Shopping: Amazon Prime members can ask the Echo Show 5 through "Alexa" to order eligible products ordered before, many Prime products and digital music tracks and albums. Your default payment and shipping settings will be used to place your order. You can require a speakable confirmation code, turn purchasing off, and see product and order details in your Alexa App. Just like orders placed through Amazon.com, orders placed through Alexa are subject to Amazon's Conditions of Use & Privacy Notice.
News & Information: For news and information you can see and hear, just ask Alexa for your video flash briefing from CNN, Bloomberg, and more. Also, get the latest movie trailers or how-to videos from YouTube. The Amazon Echo Show 5 with Alexa can help you stay connected to the news that matters most to you - like world & local news, traffic, weather, sports, and movie times.
- Flash Briefing: Flash Briefing lets you put together a personalized lineup of updates from news sources like NPR, CNN, Fox News, and CNET. If you've set up a voice profile, Alexa recognizes your voice and can catch you up on the latest without repeating old news.
- Traffic & Weather: Alexa can help you get ready for your day. Set your commute start and stop point, and Alexa can tell you how long your commute will take. Or ask Alexa how the weather's looking.
- Sports & Movies: Get scores and schedules for the major football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and soccer leagues or set up a personalized Sports Update to keep tabs on your favorite teams. Alexa can even tell you movie show-times at theaters near you.
Personal Organizer: The Echo Show 5 helps keep you organized at home. Start a timer in the kitchen and watch as it counts down, or easily see and manage your family's calendar. Sign in to the Alexa App to take your to-do and shopping lists with you. Just add an item to the list from home, and whoever is out shopping will see it added instantly on their Alexa App.
Questions & Answers + Fun & Games: The Echo Show 5 with Alexa taps into Yelp to provide you with info on local restaurants, shops, and other businesses. It also makes a great calculator and dictionary. You can even get fast facts on all type of topics from Wikipedia. Alexa also offers funny jokes and fun games for the family.
Alexa App: With the free Alexa App on Apple iOS 11.0+, Android OS 5.0+, Fire OS, and desktop browsers, you can easily setup (including WiFi network) and manage the Echo Show 5 voice-activated speaker & screen. The free Amazon Alexa App is a companion to your Alexa device for setup, remote control, and enhanced features. Interactions with Alexa are automatically mirrored visually on your Amazon Alexa App, providing more information as you want it. The Amazon Alexa App lets you easily manage your alarms, music, shopping lists, and more.
- Music Apps w/ Multi-Room: Use the Alexa App to connect music services you already use like Spotify, Pandora, and iHeart Radio. The new Multi-Room Music section allows you to designate a group for devices on the same WiFi network. Once created, group names can be used to control music playback.
- Smart Home w/ Routines: Setup your smart home devices from WeMo, Philips Hue, SmartThings, Insteon, Nest, and more. You'll be able to view the state and control your smart lights, locks, and thermostats. When you are on-the go, you can use the app to quickly check the status of your lock or turn off your lights. The new Routines section allows you to automate a series of Smart Home actions with one custom command.
- Calls & Messaging: With the Alexa App, you can call and message Amazon Echo device owners and anyone else with the Alexa App on their phones. When you're away from home, use the app to make a quick call or send a message to your family's Echo. Use Drop In to instantly connect with your devices for a call. For example, you can drop in to let the family know it's time for dinner or check in on the baby's nursery.
- Other Features: See what books are available to read from your Kindle & Audible libraries, plus enjoy Podcasts. View shopping, to-do lists, and Google Calendar while on the go. Control your timers and set custom tones for your alarms, and much more. The Alexa App is also where you discover and enable third-party skills.
Skills: Skills are voice-driven capabilities that enhance the functionality of the Amazon Echo Show 5 with Alexa. You can search for and enable skills in the Alexa app or from the Alexa Skills store on the website. You can also see ratings and reviews to learn what other customers are saying about the thousands of skills available in the Alexa App. To use an Alexa skill, first enable the skill, and then make your request based on the example phrases shown in the app. If you know the exact name of the skill you want, you can say, "Enable [skill name] skill." Some skills may require you to link to an existing account and a separate subscription in order to use the skill.
Note: At this time, you cannot customize which content is available on specific devices. For example, music, skills, shopping lists are available on all Alexa devices registered to the same account as the content.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Echo Show 5 is also Bluetooth-enabled (A2DP/AVRCP) and acts as a Bluetooth receiver, transmitter, or controller. Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support provides audio streaming from your mobile device to the Amazon Echo Show 5, or from the Amazon Echo Show 5 to a Bluetooth speaker or headphone. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) offers voice control of connected mobile devices - like your smartphone or tablet.
Note: Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Hands-free phone communication (HFP) is not supported. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported. Bluetooth audio streaming cannot be multiroom distributed.
AC Power Adapter: The Amazon Echo Show 5 includes an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: The Amazon Echo Show 5 is not battery powered.
Auto Updates: Because the Amazon Echo Show 5 is always connected to the internet, updates are delivered automatically.
The Amazon Echo Show 5 replaces these items
- compact Alexa-enabled speaker with 2-1/2" video screen
- make hands-free video or voice calls to other Alexa-enabled devices
- view surveillance feed from a compatible camera
2 questions already asked