About the Astell&Kern A&futura SE100
You initially might be attracted to the Astell&Kern A&futura SE100 by its award-winning design. The sleek aluminum alloy case looks cool and feels solid in your hand. The patterned glass back shimmers in the light.
With this player, the beauty goes way beyond the superficial. The SE100 delivers bit-perfect audio from your high-resolution files, thanks to a professional-grade digital-to-analog converter. Plus the SE100 has built-in Wi-Fi so you can easily access your favorite online music services. And it also has Bluetooth, so you can stream wirelessly to high-performance speakers or headphones.
The next level of audio performance
The SE100 has a professional-grade eight-channel digital-to-analog converter (DAC). That's four DAC channels of processing for each stereo audio channel, for remarkable accuracy. A high-precision clock virtually eliminates jitter. All aspects of the music — vocals, instruments and ambient sounds — are perfectly synced for a stunningly realistic soundstage.
The SE100 can do native playback of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files — even Quad DSD. You also get bit-perfect playback for PCM-based files up to 32-bit/384kHz. The player is compatible with MQA, a high-resolution audio format. And you just might even discover some hidden details in your CD-quality and compressed music files, too.
More premium features
The SE100 features a 128GB internal memory. The microSD card slot can handle up to 400GB cards, for a total storage of up to 528GB. The generous 5" touchscreen gives you a clear, high-def view of music selections and menus. And the player recharges via a USB-C cable. That means speedy file transfer and charging. (High-speed charger not included.)
- digital music player — plays MP3, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AIFF, WMA, DFF, DSF, MQA
- native DSD playback for DSD64 (2.8MHz), DSD128 (5.6Mz), and DSD256 (11.2MHz) files
- ESS SABRE ES9038PRO 8channel digital-to-analog converters for bit-perfect playback of high-resolution audio files (up to 32-bit/384Khz for PCM and 11.2MHz for DSD)
- 128GB internal flash memory
- microSD card slot for cards up to 400GB (up to 528GB total memory)
- built-in Wi-Fi for streaming and downloading music from a networked computer via DLNA
- 5" color HD touchscreen display
- recessed analog volume knob provides fine level adjustments
- 3.5mm unbalanced headphone output
- 2.5mm balanced 4-pole output for compatible headphones
- Bluetooth 4.1 with aptX® (A2DP, not recommended for files with sampling rates greater than 48kHz)
- high-speed USB-C interface (cable included) for high-speed file transfer and battery charging
- built-in rechargeable battery lasts up to 11 hours
- durable aluminum alloy casing
- frequency response: 20-20,000Hz ±0.038dB (unbalanced); ±0.028dB (balanced)
- output impedance: 1 ohm (balanced); 1.5 ohm (unbalanced)
- total harmonic distortion: 0.0007% (1kHz, unbalanced output)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 122dB @ 1kHz (unbalanced); 123dB @ 1kHz (balanced)
- 2-15/16"W x 5-3/8"H x 9/16"D
- weight: 8.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3PPR118CCMTSN1
What's in the box:
- Portable digital music player
- Protective Film
- microSD card slot cover
- USB Type-C cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
Astell&Kern A&futura SE100 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Astell&Kern A&futura SE100
Overview: The Astell&Kern A&futura SE100 from iRiver is a premium portable high-resolution music player that delivers exceptional sound quality playback. The SE100 features an 8-channel DAC (digital-to-audio converter) with balanced and unbalanced analog outputs. It has a 128GB internal memory for storing thousands of high-resolution music files. It also has a microSD slot for adding even more memory. The SE100 has a 5" LCD touchscreen display, plus built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Construction: The SE100 is only 3"W x 5-1/4"H x 5/8"D, and weighs 8.5 ounces. The SE100 comes with a protective film to help prevent scratches. The body is made from titan silver aluminum. Analog controls include a rotary volume knob on the right side, and Play/pause, Previous/rewind, and Next/fast forward buttons along the left side.
Digital Storage: The SE100 has a built-in 128 GB internal memory. You can also insert a microSD card (up to 400 GB) in the memory card slot on the side of the device.
8-Channel DAC: The SE100 is equipped with an 8-channel ESS SABRE ES9038PRO DAC that support up to 32-bit/384 kHz bit-to-bit decoding and playback without downsampling. The SE100 supports the following Audio Formats and Bit Rates:
- Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE (Normal, High, Fast), AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA
- Sample Rates:
- PCM: 8kHz - 384kHz (8/16/24/32 bits per sample)
- DSD Native: DSD64: 1-bit/2.8MHz (Stereo), DSD128: 1-bit/5.6MHz (Stereo), DSD256 (1-bit, 11.2MHz)
Octa-core CPU: The SR15 utilizes an Octa-core CPU to provide extra processing power for your digital music. The Octa-core CPU produces the exact musical detail present in the original recordings without distortion or delay. The added processing power provides faster booting times, lightning-fast file transfers, lag-free processing, and a better overall user experience.
Femto-second Clock: The A&futura SE100 uses an enhanced voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) high-precision clock with a reference jitter value of 250 femto seconds. Femto clocks are typically used in high-end audio components. The clock is measured in femto second units (one quadrillionth of a second -- or 1/1000 trillion) which allows the device to create a more accurate frequency value and make fine jitter corrections. The SE100 has improved performance to 800fs (femto seconds) for extremely accurate synchronization of all the instruments, vocals, and ambient sound recorded in your music files.
USB DAC: You can use the SE100 as an external USB DAC which supports Native DSD playback. With the Dual DACs and the exclusive DSD chip, the SE100 delivers much better sounding audio than your computer's built-in sound card. Connect the unit via USB from your computer and listen to your stored digital music with headphones, powered speakers, or home stereo. The USB DAC is compatible with Windows XP (32-bit), Windows 7 (32- & 64-bit), Windows 8 (32- & 64-bit), and Windows 10 (32- & 64-bit); Supported formats: PCM (8-384 kHz (8/16/24/32-bit) and DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz).
Balanced/Unbalanced Outputs: The Astell&Kern SE100 offers both balanced (L+/L-/R+/R-) and unbalanced outputs (L+/R+/GND). Balanced outputs have an additional "cold" signal to compliment the hot signal, which reduces external noise and increases output. The balanced output is a 4-conductor 2.5mm port (1 ohm) on the top of the device. You can also connect an external audio device to the SE100 by connecting to both the earphones port (ground) and the balanced port (LR), using an optional balanced cable available from Astell&Kern.
User Interface: The SE100 features a high-quality user interface to make it easy to find and select your music files, change the volume, and adjust the sound:
- 5" LCD Touchscreen: The full-color LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. The screen displays the title and artist of the currently playing song, along with elapsed and remaining time, with the album art in the background. On the touchscreen, you can touch the Play/Pause, Previous/Rewind, or Next/Fast Forward icons to control playback. You can make adjustments to the EQ, set the repeat and random modes, and add the song to a playlist, all using the touchscreen interface.
- Rotary Volume Knob: The SE100 has a side-mounted analog-style rotary volume knob. As you adjust the volume, the volume range is shown numerically on the display. You can change the output to "Line Out", which locks the volume level at maximum.
- Hardware Control Buttons: There are four physical buttons on the unit: a top-mounted power button, along with side-mounted Play/Pause, Previous/Rewind, and Next/Fast Forward buttons.
USB Type-C: The SE100 has a USB Type-C port on the bottom of the unit for connecting the unit to your computer for downloading music files and for charging the battery. USB Type-C allows faster digital file transfer speeds of up to 10 Gbps. Data transfer and charging are done from the same cable. The SE100 is compatible with Windows XP, 7 and 8/8.1, as well as Mac OS X 10.7 and up.
Wi-Fi Capability: The SE100 features built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n--2.4GHz), allowing you to connect the device and your computer to the same network for streaming and downloading music. With the MQS Streaming Server software installed on your PC or Mac, you can use the SE100 to access music files stored on your computer's hard drive or a connected HDD. In addition, the Wi-Fi connection allows you to receive notifications of new available firmware updates (OTA Upgrades), allowing you to download them on the spot.
Bluetooth: The SE100 also has built-in Bluetooth V4.1 with aptX HD, A2DP, and AVRCP profiles for connecting a Bluetooth device to listen to music wirelessly. DSD playback is not available via Bluetooth, and performance may be limited for high-res playback; 48 kHz or lower resolution is recommended). You must maintain a distance within 8" of the paired Bluetooth device for best audio quality and connection quality. Car audio Bluetooth connections are not supported.
AK Connect: The SE100 can stream or download music files stored on a computer on the same network. Using the AK Connect app (available for iPad running iOS 8.0 or later or Android devices running version 3.0 and up), you can connect to a NAS or PC and control it with a smartphone or tablet.
Power Requirements: The SE100 is equipped with a 3700 mAh 3.8V Lithium-Polymer battery. With USB Type-C, you can charge the battery in approximately 2 hours 20 minutes (with commercially available 9V 1.67A USB wall adapter.) Normal charging takes approximately 5 hours (with a 5V 2A adapter). A fully charged battery can provide up to approximately 10 hours of continuous playback time.
Protective Film: The unit includes a protective film to keep the touchscreen and the rear panel scratch-free.
- Frequency Response:
- 20Hz-20kHz (±0.038dB Unbalanced, ±0.028dB Balanced)
- 10Hz-70kHz (±0.74dB Unbalanced, ±0.030dB Balanced)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (@1kHz): 122dB unbalanced, 123dB balanced
- Crosstalk (@1kHz): 138dB unbalanced, 144dB balanced
- THD+N (@1kHz): 0.0007% unbalanced, 0.0005% balanced
- Output Level: Unbalanced 2.0Vrms, Balanced 4.1Vrms (No Load)