About the Astell&Kern A&norma SR25
A great value for high-res music lovers
A great value for high-res music lovers
I had an opportunity to try out the Astell&Kern A&norma SR25 portable player. Its milled aluminum case felt pleasingly cool in my hand, and simultaneously lightweight and substantial. I liked the precise, responsive control of the analog volume wheel, and the elegant simplicity of the touchcreen. But what I really loved most was the sound.
With the SR25, Astell&Kern aims to make a high level of audio performance available to the masses, and what I heard didn't disappoint. Regardless of genre, the music sounded both spacious and full, with an incredible level of detail. Music I had listened to for years suddenly sounded fresh. In some cases, I actually heard things in the music that I had never noticed before.
Firsthand listening impressions
I was impressed with the amount of detail the SR25 provided. Like when I listened to Janos Starker play the Bach Solo Cellos suites, for example. Though a vintage recording (albeit remastered for SACD), I heard fine details like the bow biting into the string, and the soft hum of the sympathetic vibrations in the cello's open strings.
And the sound was equally satisfying listening to Bruno Mars. I heard additional layers in the backing rhythms. The bass was solid, the vocals crystalline. And the soundfield felt spacious enough to "fill the room," even though I was listening through headphones.
Made for high-resolution audio
The SR25 has a quad-core processor for fast and accurate decoding. Dual built-in high-performance DACs — one for each stereo channel - give you bit-perfect playback of high-res files up to 32-bit/384kHz. You also get native playback for 1-bit high-res DSD files up to 11.2MHz. And the player is compatible with MQA, yet another high-resolution format.
Couple the SR25 with a set of high-performance headphones and you're in for a real listening experience. The player has both a standard 3.5mm stereo minijack and a 2.5mm balanced 4-pole output.
Outstanding sound quality
You can play high-resolution downloads from sites like HDtracks without any additional equipment. Even with CD-quality files or compressed formats like MP3, the SR25 can help your music sound its best.
The player's high signal-to-noise ratio and low distortion let the subtle details of your music come through. Plus, its high-fidelity, low-impedance output gives your headphones more power than most portable music players.
Bluetooth® compatible for wireless listening
For wireless listening, the SR25 features built-in Bluetooth. Stream music to your Bluetooth headphones or speakers. The SR25 offers Sony's LDAC high-fidelity wireless music streaming to compatible products, for better sound via a Bluetooth connection.
The player comes with 64GB of internal memory. A microSD card slot lets you add memory cards up to 1TB, for ample storage. And of course, you can have more tunes on extra cards and bring them along for easy swapping.
- compact high-resolution portable music player
- plays MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA, ALAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AIFF, MQA
- supports files up to 32-bit/384kHz
- native Direct Stream Digital (DSD) playback (.dff and .dsf formats up to 11.2MHz resolution)
- dual high-performance Cirrus Logic DACs (one each for left and right channels)
- powered by a fast quad-core CPU
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- an ultra-low-noise filter for better sound quality
- Bluetooth-compatible with LDAC high-fidelity wireless music streaming
- built-in Wi-Fi to access home wireless network and internet
- 3.5mm unbalanced headphone output
- 2.5mm balanced 4-pole output for compatible headphones
- 64GB internal flash memory
- microSD card slot for cards up to 1TB (up to 1088GB total memory)
- angled 3.6" color touchscreen
- analog volume wheel provides fine level adjustments
- USB Type-C interface (cable included) for high-speed file transfer and battery charging
- output impedance: 1.8 ohms (3.5mm headphone output), 1.6 ohm (2.5mm balanced output)
- signal to noise ratio: 122dB @ 1kHz unbalanced, 123dB @ 1kHz balanced
- milled aluminum casing
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 21 hours of continuous operation
- 2-1/2"W x 4-5/16"H x 5/8"D
- weight: 6.27 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3PPS217C-CMSIN1
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Astell&Kern A&norma SR25