About the Astell&Kern A&norma SR35
Extraordinary sound at a moderate price
Extraordinary sound at a moderate price
The Astell&Kern A&norma SR35 includes some advanced features formerly available only in the A&ultima line. The result is phenomenally detailed and accurate sound reproduction — especially from high-resolution audio files. This moderately priced player includes two-way Bluetooth and automatic gain leveling for consistent volume across various music sources. And it has Wi-Fi built-in for even more music source options.
Made for high-performance sound
The SR35 uses four Cirrus Logic CS43198 audiophile DACs in quad configuration for sound that's smooth, refined, and detailed. And you can manually switch from quad to dual DAC processing for more power efficiency and increased playing time..
These high-performance DACs deliver bit-perfect playback of high-res files up to 32-bit/384kHz. The player also gives you native playback for 1-bit high-res DSD files up to 11.2MHz and support for high-res MQA audio.
Advanced audio features
The player also has Astell&Kern's Teraton Alpha technology built in. This cleans incoming power of unwanted noise and ensures accurate signal transmission throughout the circuitry.
The SR35 also has Astell&Kern's New Generation Amp. This advanced sound-processing technology first appeared in the company's top-tier players. It dramatically reduces noise at high volume levels for pristine sound.
Three headphone jacks
Plug in a set of high-performance headphones and hear what the SR35 can really do. The player has a standard 3.5mm stereo minijack plus 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outputs for compatible headphones.
Two-way Bluetooth® convenience
For wireless listening, the SR35 features built-in Bluetooth. Stream music from the player to your Bluetooth headphones or speakers. The player offers Sony's LDAC high-fidelity wireless music streaming to compatible products, for better sound via a Bluetooth connection.
Bluetooth receiver mode (BT Sink) lets you pair a compatible source like a smartphone and take advantage of Astell&Kern's superior audio circuitry and headphone amplification for better sound.
The player has 64GB of internal memory. A microSD card slot lets you add memory cards up to 1TB, for ample storage. And of course, you can have more tunes on extra cards and bring them along.
- compact high-resolution portable music player
- plays a wide range of digital music formats, including MP3, FLAC, WMA, WAV, ALAC, AAC, DSD, and MQA
- native playback of high-resolution audio files
- up to 32-bit/384kHz for PCM and 11.2MHz for DSD
- Teraton Alpha audio circuit design for virtually noise-free sound
- 64GB internal flash memory
- microSD slot for cards up to 1TB
- Roon-ready (subscription required)
- built-in rechargeable battery lasts up to 20 hours
Display and controls:
- 3.6" high-definition touchscreen display
- analog knob on the side provides fine level adjustments
Processing and wireless features:
- four Cirrus Logic CS43198 digital-to-analog converters (DACs)
- optional switching between dual and quad DAC modes for optimized power consumption
- New Generation Amp for improved noise reduction at high power output
- built-in 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi (802.11 ac)
- Bluetooth 5.0 transmission for playing through wireless headphones and speakers
- Bluetooth receiver mode (BT Sink) lets you pair smartphones and other devices and use the SR35 as a high-quality DAC
- supports aptX HD and LDAC formats for high-fidelity streaming
- 2-Step Gain Level to optimize output for different headphones and in-ear monitors
- ReplayGain automatically adjusts sources with different volumes to an identical level for smooth, seamless playback from your favorite playlists
Connections and specs:
- high-speed USB Type-C port (cable included)
- 3.5mm unbalanced headphone output
- 2.5mm balanced output (4-pole)
- 4.4mm balanced output (5-pole)
- output impedance:
- 1.0 ohms (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 2.7 ohms (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- total harmonic distortion @1kHz:
- 0.0005% (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 0.0006% (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- signal-to-noise ratio @1kHz:
- 127 dB (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 130 dB (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- crosstalk @1kHz:
- -133dB (3.5mm unbalanced)
- -145dB (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- frequency response:
- 20-70,000 Hz ± 0.125dB (3.5mm unbalanced)
- 20-70,000 Hz ± 0.126dB (2.5mm/4.4mm balanced)
- aluminum casing
- 2-9/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 11/16"
- weight: 6.49 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 3PPS317CCMGRN1
What's in the box:
Astell&Kern A&norma SR35 owner's manual
- Portable digital music player (Charcoal Gray)
- 40" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- MicroSD card slot cover (installed)
- Protective film
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Card
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Astell&Kern A&norma SR35
Overview: The Astell&Kern SR35 (PPS31) is a portable high-resolution music player that delivers high quality playback. It is the fourth model in the A&norma line of Digital Audio Players from Astell&Kern, and retains many features from its predecessor, the SR 25 MKII. Some amplifier and audio design features have been passed down from the premium A&Ultima line, such as New Generation Amp technology, two-step Gain Level, and Quad DACs. It has a 64 GB internal memory for storing your high-resolution music files, plus a microSD slot for external memory. The SR35 has a large 3.6" LCD touchscreen display, plus built-in Dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Construction: The compact SR35 is only 2-1/2"W x 4-1/4"H x 5/8"D, and weighs 6.5 ounces. It has a Charcoal Gray aluminum chassis, and features an angled LCD touch screen. The SR35 comes with a protective film to help prevent scratches on the screen and external finish. Analog controls include a rotary volume knob on the right side, and Power, Play/pause, Previous/rewind, and Next/fast forward buttons along the left side.
Digital Storage: The SR35 has a built-in 64 GB (NAND) internal memory. You can also insert a microSD card in the external memory card slot on the bottom of the device. The maximum capacity of the microSD card is 1 TB.
Quad DACs: The A&norma SR35 is equipped with four Cirrus Logic CS43198 Master Hi-Fi level DACs. A Dual/Quad DAC Switching mode allows you to switch from two DACs to four during playback to save battery power and provide longer continuous playback time. The SR35 adds a Quad-Core CPU to make your digital files sound better by removing noise and reducing distortion, and provide a faster, more intuitive user interface. The device plays any resolution of digital files up to 32-bit/384kHz, bit-for-bit. In addition, the device supports native DSD256 playback. The SR35 supports the following Audio Formats and Bit Rates:
- Audio Formats: WAV, FLAC, WMA, MP3, OGG, APE, AAC, ALAC, AIFF, DFF, DSF, MQA (full decoder)
- Sampling Rates:
- PCM: 8kHz - 384kHz (8/16/24/32 bits per sample)
- DSD Native: DSD64 (1-bit/2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1-bit/5.6MHz) Stereo / DSD256 (1-bit 11.2MHz), Stereo
Roon Ready/MQA Support: For the first time in the A&norma series, the SR35 is Roon Ready, supporting high quality audio streaming on various devices through network systems. In addition, the SR35 supports the full decoder of MQA 8x, streaming high fidelity MQA sound natively, unfolding all the way to the original resolution of the audio file. MQA playback is supported via downloaded MQA files, and through the Tidal app, allowing you to stream high-res audio via Tidal Masters. The SR35 also supports other streaming services, such as Qobuz, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, and more.
New Generation AMP Technology: The SR35 is equipped with A&K's New Generation AMP technology, previously only available in the A&ultima and A&futura line of digital audio players. This unique amplifier design effectively improves noise reduction at higher power outputs. With A&K's TERATON ALPHA sound solution, it is possible to achieve high output with minimal noise, and audio playback that is as close to the original sound.
2-Step Gain Mode: The SR35 features a 2-step Gain Level mode for better matching to a wide range of headphones and in-ear monitors (IEMs) for optimal sound quality. In addition to Normal Gain, you can switch to High Gain, generating up to 6V RMS from the balanced connections for driving high-impedance headphones.
USB DAC Mode: The USB DAC function lets you connect the SR35 for use as a sound card for your computer for better sound quality, compared to the built-in sound card. Connect the unit via USB from your computer and listen to your stored digital music with headphones, powered speakers, or on your home stereo. The USB DAC is compatible with 32- and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 and 11, and Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or later. In USB DAC mode, the device supports PCM 8-394kHz (8/16/24/32-bit) and DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz). Volume is controlled via the SR35's volume wheel, but the Previous, Play, and Next buttons are non-functioning in USB DAC mode. You may need to install a dedicated driver (available on Astell&Kern's website) to use the SR35 as a USB DAC.
AK File Drop: You can easily transfer music files wirelessly through a PC, smartphone, or an FTP program, as long as they are on the same network. AK File Drop must first be enabled in the menu, and the ID and password entered into the FTP program of the device to be connected.
Balanced/Unbalanced Outputs: The Astell&Kern SR35 offers both balanced and unbalanced outputs on the top of the device. Balanced outputs have an additional "cold" signal to compliment the hot signal, which reduces external noise and increases output. The outputs include 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced outputs, as well as a 3.5mm unbalanced port.
User Interface: The SR35 features a new 4th-generation Graphic User Interface with a Crimson Theme to make it easy to find and select your music files, change the volume, and adjust the sound. The graphics are intuitive and easy to use. The black and red theme colors help to reduce eye fatigue, maximize battery life, and to reduce heat generation. The full-color 3.6" LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. The screen displays the title and artist of the currently playing song, along with elapsed and remaining time, with the album art in the background. On the touchscreen, you can touch the Play/Pause, Previous/Rewind, or Next/Fast Forward icons to control playback. You can make adjustments to the EQ, set the repeat and random modes, and add the song to a playlist, all using the touchscreen interface.
ReplayGain: The ReplayGain feature automatically adjusts sound sources with different volumes to identical levels. This eliminates constantly having to adjust volume when playback levels differ between tracks. ReplayGain can be applied in the Albums, Playlists, or Folders menu. ReplayGain is only supported on 24-bit/192kHz or lower formats.
Gapless Playback: Gapless Playback allows you to play one song after another without interruption. This is only supported when playing music files with identical bit rates, sample rates, and channels.
Equalizer: The SR35's built-in 20-band equalizer that lets you adjust each band ±5.0dB in 0.1dB increments. In the advanced settings, you can adjust the bandwidth (Q) from 2.0 (wide) to 4.0 (narrow). You can save up to 20 User EQ curves. The EQ is only supported during PCM playback (8-192kHz-8/16/24-bit).
USB-C: The SR35 has a USB Type-C port on the bottom of the unit for connecting the unit to your computer for data transfer and for charging the battery. A Type-C to Type-C is recommended when connecting to a Mac that supports USB Type-C.
Dual-band Wi-Fi: For the first time in the A&norma line, the SR35 offers Dual Band Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac--2.4GHz/5GHz), allowing you to connect the device and your computer to the same network for streaming and downloading music. The device must also be connected to Wi-Fi to search the Gracenote database. With the MQS Streaming Server software installed on your PC or Mac, you can use the SR35 to access music files stored on your computer's hard drive or a connected HDD. In addition, the Wi-Fi connection allows you to receive notifications of new available firmware updates (OTA Upgrades), allowing you to download them on the spot.
Bluetooth: The SR35 also has built-in Bluetooth v5.0 that supports LDAC, AAC, SBC, and Qualcomm aptX HD. The player offers 2-way Bluetooth, as it can receive and transmit BT signals to and from other devices. To pair the device, you must place the unit within 8" of the Bluetooth device. The connection and audio quality will degrade at longer distances, and may disconnect at distances of 6-1/2 feet or more.
AK Connect 2.0: The SR35 can stream or download music files stored on a computer on the same network. Using the DLNA-based AK Connect 2.0 app (available for Apple devices running iOS 9.0 or later or Android devices running version 5.0 and up), you can connect to a NAS or PC and control it with a smartphone or tablet.
Power Requirements: The SR35 is equipped with a 3150 mAh 3.7V Lithium-Polymer battery. The battery charges via USB in about 2.5 hours via the included USB Type-C cable (5V/2A USB adapter). A fully charged battery can provide up to approximately 20 hours of continuous playback time (based on FLAC, 16-bit, 44.1kHz, unbalanced output, volume 50, EQ off, LCD off, Dual-DAC, Normal Gain). The Auto Power Off feature helps save battery life by turning off the device if there's no user input for a defined period (10 minutes to 24 hours). A sleep timer (10 minutes to 5 hours) and screen timeout (10 seconds to 3 minutes) are also available.
- Frequency Response:
- ±0.012dB (Condition: 20Hz-20kHz) Unbalanced / ±0.011dB (Condition: 20Hz-20kHz) Balanced
- ±0.125dB (Condition: 20Hz-70kHz) Unbalanced / ±0.126dB (Condition: 20Hz-70kHz) Balanced
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 127dB @ 1 kHz, Unbalanced / 130dB @ 1 kHz, Balanced
- Crosstalk: -133dB @ 1 kHz, Unbalanced / -145dB @ 1 kHz, Balanced
- THD+N: 0.0005% @ 1 kHz, Unbalanced / 0.0006% @ 1 kHz, Balanced
- Output Level:
- High Gain: 3.1Vrms (unbalanced); 6.0Vrms (balanced)
- Normal Gain: 2.1 Vrms (unbalanced); 4.0 Vrms (balanced)
- Output Impedance: Unbalanced Out 3.5mm (1.1 ohm) / Balanced Out 2.5mm, 4.4mm (2.7 ohm)
- Clock Jitter: 25ps, Reference 70ps