About the MartinLogan Crescendo
A new class of wireless speaker
A new class of wireless speaker
The Crescendo's high-end looks and performance complement each other.
When MartinLogan set out to create their first-ever wireless speaker system, the Crescendo, they aimed to please audiophiles and the style-conscious crowd alike. This luxury tabletop speaker system blends tasteful good looks, high-end sound, and state-of-the-art wireless conveniences, including Bluetooth and AirPlay streaming.
Its unique curved cabinet rests on a sturdy aluminum stand, for a design that looks at home in both classic and modern décors. Even the included remote, built from black anodized aluminum, exudes quality. This single speaker will fill your room with the full, rich sound you'd expect from MartinLogan.
How do you like to listen to your music? Do you surf Internet radio stations on your tablet? Create playlists of songs you've downloaded in iTunes®? MartinLogan designed the Crescendo to cater to today's music sources. With virtually any device, you have options:
- Pair it with your Bluetooth-compatible smartphone or tablet. The Crescendo is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0, including support for aptX® audio coding, which delivers higher-fidelity sound with compatible devices. Wirelessly stream music services or your personal stored music collection.
- Use its built-in Apple AirPlay technology to wirelessly play music from computers and handheld devices running iTunes®.
- Plug in your iOS® device via the USB jack for music playback and automatic battery charging.
- Connect just about anything that has a headphone jack to the 3.5mm aux input.
- Connect your TV with the supplied optical digital cable and mini-Toslink adapter, which plugs into the 3.5mm aux input.
- Hook it up via its Ethernet connection to play music directly off of your network.
Praise for the MartinLogan Crescendo wireless music system from Sound & Vision
"The elegant Crescendo tabletop music system will bring any room to life with crisp, clear, full-bodied sound. If you're looking for a flexible solution for high-quality casual listening and aren't worried about an expansive soundstage, the Crescendo delivers the goods. It doesn't come cheap, but you have to remember you're also getting a work of art that you'll be proud to display. "
— From Bob Ankosko's review in Sound & Vision, July 9, 2014
Read the full review
Room-filling sound and expandability
At the heart of the Crescendo sits a front-firing 5" x 7" polypropylene cone woofer housed in its own ported chamber, which gives the driver room to move and breathe. You'll enjoy deep bass and accurate midrange. The woofer and the two adjacent Folded Motion™ tweeters each have their own dedicated Class D amplifier for 100 watts of total power. The drivers are housed in a sturdy MDF enclosure that resists sound-muddying vibrations, finished in your choice of piano black or real wood veneer. While the Crescendo provides substantial bass for what we traditionally expect from a one-piece system, MartinLogan knows there are situations that call for more. A subwoofer output lets you connect a separate powered sub (not included), for those times when you really need more boom.
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeters result in quicker response and lower distortion.
Detail and precision from the Folded Motion tweeters
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeters are found on either side of the woofer. Each tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works like an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. It requires about 90% less excursion than a typical dome tweeter, resulting in quicker response time and much lower distortion. You'll experience crystal-clear high frequencies with lifelike dynamics. The tweeters are angled outward to provide a wider soundstage. Proper stereo separation like this is simply not typical in one-piece systems. Music sounds intricately detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness.
- high-performance powered speaker with a stylish, unique design
- Bluetooth 4.0 for Bluetooth-enabled smartphones, tablets, and computers,
- Apple AirPlay® with built-in Wi-Fi® for Apple portable devices and computers
- two Folded Motion tweeters for high output levels and low distortion, angled outward to create stereo sound separation
- custom-designed 5" x 7" polypropylene woofer
- ported cabinet for enhanced bass
- 24-bit/48kHz digital signal processor/preamplifier
- amplifier power: 100 watts class D (1 x 50 watts woofer, 2 x 25 watts tweeters)
- frequency response:50-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- digital/analog 3.5mm aux input
- digital optical cable and mini-Toslink optical adapter included
- USB Type-A input iOS® devices allows music playback and automatic battery charging
- Ethernet jack for connection to a wired home network
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- black anodized aluminum wireless remote
- 25-11/16"W x 8-1/16"H x 7-3/4"D
- weight: 23 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years with product registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 810123020218
What's in the box:
- Active wireless speaker
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 69" AC power cord
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' Optical digital cable
- Mini-toslink adapter
- User's Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Product Registration Card
MartinLogan Crescendo reviews
Love at first listen? Nope. These tweeters need up to 70 hours to break in properly. I have about 25 hours in and the detail is starting to present itself. The unit has a sub out feature which I am playing with. Using a old 8" small but musical miller and kreisel sub in a 16x20 room. Not sure it "Needs it" but It certainly adds a fuller soundstage. This is for a master bedroom. In my home I have 2 home theatre systems and Two fine 2.0 set ups. I mention this because my purpose for this unit was not to be overly ambitious but purchase a fine looking piece that is a pleasure look at and sounds great. Easy operation was also a priority. This is integrated with home music server (hardwired) but I also wanted Bluetooth and use it as a soundbar from the TV on occasion. I have the Walnut finish and super happy with the fit and finish. As for the sound I encourage you to seek out reviews on the internet form journalists whose job it is to review and have critical ears. I am very impressed with the detail with and without the sub provides especially at lower volume! The unit falls within a "lifestyle" category of electronics. It not only functions to provide a great sound but does so with a graceful elegance!
Pros: Sound detail, bass, ease of operation
Cons: Premium products carry a premium price
0 of 0 found this helpful
My Father-in-Law wanted a simple solution for his home theater system to be used in a small room and he asked my advice. When I asked him what he was considering, he told me a Bose Wave system. Up until a few years ago, I had been a life long Bose fan (and I still love my 901s). But I had purchased several Martin Logan speakers from the Motion series about 18 months ago and realized that they have a sound that Bose just can't recreate when you are listening to newer recordings, so I recommended the Crescendo. Since my Father-in-Law lives in South America, I had the Crescendo delivered to my house. And of course, I had to take it for a week long test drive. The sound is premium Martin Logan. Warm and real, with a great clarity. I also purchased the Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub to fill out the lower frequencies, so this little, unassuming system really did the job. I was extremely impressed. I have to admit that without the Dynamo 300, the Crescendo would sound a little flat (obviously), but I naturally compared this set up to my system that has a 1000w sub and costs seven times more. For the price, you really cannot ask for a better sound, especially if your goal is to have a great sounding set up with a small foot print. The crescendo sounded outstanding even when standing in another room. Everything from Steely Dan to Damian Erskine to dub step was solidly represented. I will add, just like my Motions, there is a break in period to get the best sound.
Pros: Warm Matin Logan sound for a reasonable price, in a portable configuration.
Cons: This system (in my opinion) really needs the Dynamo 300 to Truly seal the deal musically, but you can pick up a 300 for a steal. The cost for this configuration is comparable to many other similar systems at this price point without the sub, but it will have None of the deeper bass note compromises a system this small will always fail to accurately reproduce. That matters to me, but maybe that doesn't bother most people.
2 of 3 found this helpful
Always been a M-L fan. Aspirational for their electro-statics. The piece is beautiful furniture, sounds as though someone sat on it. Zero high end while streaming blue tooth from Spotify, on their maximum bit rate. Direct plug in didn't help. Bass is breathy, and boomy. Perhaps this was a defective unit. Wanted a high end, good sounding, wireless streaming speaker, this is not it. The return was graciously accepted..
Cons: Sounds like an AM radio form the 60's
3 of 4 found this helpful
The speaker appearance sets it apart from the standard square or round designed speaker. The instructions and packaging are outstanding. The speaker looks understated, but over performs in connectivity and musicality. I used my iPhone 6 to run music through USB, airplay and bluetooth. They all worked flawlessly. The equalization of the music was nearly spot on and pushing the speaker to it's top volume produced the same clear and undistorted sound output. I'm thinking about adding a subwoofer later to see just how much more amazing this speaker can be. This was a huge upgrade/change from my current Bose Soundesign speaker I use in the office.
Pros: Appearance, Finish, Outstanding music reproduction, Zero Distortion at Max Volume, Connectivity
Cons: Size is a bit large Input jacks in the front would have been more useful
10 of 10 found this helpful
This is a great product. Bought it from Crutchfield. First impressions: build quality is outstanding, very stylish and well packed. Remote is of very high quality as well. Hook up was very simple, although instruction booklet was not that helpful. Sound: I was blown away by the quality of the tweeters, really transparent and natural sounding for such a small and cheap speaker. It will outclass B&W and Bang&Olufsen by a mile. Midbass was more of what you would expect from a small speaker, although the single midbass driver seems as a clever solution. Tried different sources, by far the best was the ipod directly connected to the equipment via USB and using lossless files. The wireless Airplay or bluetooth seems to lower the quality. Bottom line: hands down the best small wireless speaker I've heard.
Pros: Transparency of highs Connectivity Subwoofer output Build Quality
Cons: Slight unbalance between highs and midbass sound quality. Highs are really really good while midbass is not at the same level
22 of 23 found this helpful
More details on the MartinLogan Crescendo
Built-in Class-D Amp w/ Advanced DSP: At the core of the MartinLogan Crescendo is an advanced 24-bit/48kHz DSP (digital signal processing) based preamplifier in conjunction with a powerful class-D closed-loop 100-watt (140-watt peak) amplifier. Crescendo's digital amplifier produces sound with accuracy, resolution, and, detail. 50 watts x 1 channel is delivered to the 5"x7" cone woofer and 25 watts x 2 channel is delivered to the dual 1" Folded Motion tweeters.
Two-Way Driver Design: The MartinLogan Crescendo premium wireless speaker system create creates a powerfully detailed sound from its two 1" Folded Motion tweeters and one 5"x7" polypropylene woofer for a room-filling experience. Low and High frequencies are seamlessly blended together between the drivers for a natural sound.
- Two 1" Folded Motion Tweeters: The signature Folded Motion tweeters utilize extremely low mass diaphragms that "squeeze" air, and require significantly less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- 5"x7" Polypropylene Woofer: The custom designed front-firing 5x7-inch matte black polypropylene cone woofer features an extended throw drive assembly in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber format for deep, accurate bass.
Solid MDF Enclosure: The MartinLogan Crescendo is crafted with a solid MDF enclosure that strengthens and intensifies low-frequency bass performance while minimizing vibrations. The dense cabinet enclosure, wrapped in either high-gloss piano black paint or real-wood walnut veneer, floats atop a sturdy aluminum stand and looks comfortably at home in any décor where aesthetics are as important as sound quality. Designed to fit a modern décor, MartinLogan utilizes high-quality materials and finishes to give Crescendo a furniture and artwork like appearance.
Network Connection (Wired or Wireless): The Crescendo is equipped with dual network connection methods. There's an RJ-45 LAN (Ethernet) port for direct wired connection to your home network, and there's also the built-in WiFi feature that includes WiFi Protected Setup for safe and secure connection to your wireless home network. The unit's network connection lets you listen to music from your Apple device (via AirPlay), Android smartphone (via DLNA), Windows PC (via DLNA).
- AirPlay (for Apple iOS): AirPlay lets you stream music directly from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac computer to the MartinLogan Crescendo, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple free Remote App onto your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the Crescendo or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- DLNA (for Windows & Android): The Crescendo is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant for audio streaming. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC, select Android smartphone/tablets, and other DLNA-compliant music servers. The Crescendo supports playback of a various music files and offers basic playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the included remote control. However, advance music navigation will still be done from your Windows PC, Android device, or DLNA music server.
Note: This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection. When using a wireless LAN connection, your system must feature an wireless router/access-point.
Built-In Bluetooth: The MartinLogan Crescendo features built-in Bluetooth (V4.0) with support A2DP wireless audio streaming and apt-X lossless audio codec. You'll be able to wireless connect to your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or computer.
- Audio Streaming: You will be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the Crescendo wireless speaker system. Playback functions, music navigation, and song/artist information will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
- apt-X Code: The MartinLogan Crescendo employs apt-X audio coding technology for lossless, CD-quality streaming with apt-X compatible smartphones (like some Androids).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the wireless speaker system.
USB Port (iPod/iPhone Certified): You can connect your Lightning or 30-pin connector Apple device directly to the Crescendo using its rear-panel USB (type-A) port and the Lightning- or Dock-cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps from your compatible Apple device and control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track). Advanced navigation and song/artist information will still be done through your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad. The speaker's USB port also charges (max: 2.4A) your Apple device while connected.
Note: The USB port will charge other non-Apple, USB-enabled devices. However, the Crescendo does not allow audio transfer from non-apple devices through its USB port.
Aux Input (Digital or Analog): The unit's Aux Input can be used as either a digital optical (Toslink) or analog input. This input will accept either a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone style or mini-Toslink plug. A special mini-Toslink to Toslink cable or mini-Toslink adaptor is required for digital optical connection.
Subwoofer Output: The Crescendo features an optional subwoofer output via an analog RCA connection. This option, not typical of tabletop speaker systems, customizes the crossover between the Crescendo and your powered sub (sold separately) to give you the ability to supplement the low-frequency performance of the system.
Simple Controls: For across the room control, the Crescendo includes an IR remote control built from black anodized extruded aluminum. The Crescendo's remote control quickly adjusts volume, selects inputs, and controls your media content (basic playback functions include Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track). The remote also allows you to easily switch between two discrete acoustic modes: "Bass +" mode (for those moments requiring a little extra thunder) and a "Normal" mode that restores normal levels. In addition, front-mounted control panel allows quick access to power, input and volume controls.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The MartinLogan Crescendo is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible & supports the following iPod, iPhone, and iPad model features (as of 4/4/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked