About the MartinLogan Motion® 35XT
Beautiful inside and out
Beautiful inside and out
The Motion 35XT uses MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion XT tweeter and a powerful 6-1/2" aluminum cone woofer.
With its flawless high-gloss finish, gently tapered cabinet, and handsome perforated magnetic steel grille, one could be forgiven for mistaking the MartinLogan Motion 35XT as a beautiful piece of furniture. But one listen will tell you this speaker's beauty runs far deeper. As MartinLogan's most potent bookshelf speaker, the 35XT dazzles with its dynamic, impactful, and transparent sound. And as a member of MartinLogan's award-winning Motion® series, this speaker takes advantage of advanced technologies like the Folded Motion™ XT tweeter, sophisticated crossovers, and custom bi-wire binding posts.
Folded Motion XT tweeter for detailed sound
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion XT tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. Because it requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, response time is drastically reduced along with distortion. The diaphragm's increased surface area also provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and highly accurate soundstage. Music sounds amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness. And the XT tweeter boasts a 40% larger radiating surface area than that of ML's standard Folded Motion design, for even greater bandwidth and efficiency.
Bass that keeps pace
The Motion 35XT uses a low-distortion 6-1/2" aluminum cone woofer to supply fast, clean midrange and powerful bass performance that blend in seamlessly with the Folded Motion XT tweeter. A low-turbulence rear-firing port extends bass performance, but keeps it tight and tuneful.
Praise for the MartinLogan Motion® 35XT from The Absolute Sound
The sonic character of the 35XT is first and foremost, refined. There is a relaxed quality to the 35XT that takes a natural acoustic recording like Stravinsky's Pulcinella and delivers wind sections and upper strings with sweetness and openness. Transients, low-level resolution, and micro-dynamics are likewise also very good-I always listen for the soft tapping of the keys of the oboe midway through this ballet. The 35XT never missed a cue.
All told, the Motion 35XT offers some stiff competition to battle-hardened rivals like the Sonus faber Venere 1.5 with its espresso midrange, or the Focal Aria 906 with its punchy bass response and all-around dynamism. But of these contenders only the ML has the virtue of its sweet tweet, and offers such a high level of overall transparency and musicality. The 35XT is a worthy heir to the proud tradition at MartinLogan.
— From Neil Gader's February, 2015 review in The Absolute Sound [Read the full review]
- 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter for exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- 6-1/2" aluminum-cone woofer with cast polymer basket for powerful, accurate bass
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- high-precision, audiophile-grade crossover network
- frequency response: 50-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-250 watts
- custom 5-way bi-wire binding posts
- perforated steel grille attaches magnetically to cabinet
- 7-11/16"W x 13-9/16"H x 11-13/16"D
- weight: 18.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Motion 35XT-GB
What's in the box:
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- 4 Rubber bumpers
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Product Registration Card
MartinLogan Motion® 35XT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® 35XT
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Folded Motion XT|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.25 x 2.4|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Frequency Response||50-25,k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
2-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Motion 35XT bookshelf loudspeaker employs a 2-way speaker design and features MartinLogan's advanced resolution Folded Motion XT tweeter and a single 6.5" aluminum cone midbass woofer. Pairing these two drivers together creates a dynamic full-range sound with an expansive soundstage.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion XT tweeter helps give the Motion 35XT bookshelf loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x30°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Aluminum Cone Woofer w/ Bass Port: The MartinLogan Motion 35XT bookshelf loudspeaker features a high-excursion 6.5" aluminum cone woofer with a cast basket housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber with a rear-firing bass port. The aluminum cone woofer uses a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. Pairing the 6.5" woofer with a rear-firing bass port provides higher output and audibly richer, deeper bass performance.
Precision Crossover: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the midbass driver (woofer), the Motion 35XT loudspeaker features a precision 2,200Hz crossover utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
High-Gloss MDF Cabinet: Complementing the Motion 35XT loudspeaker's sonic accuracy is its solidly constructed 3/4" thick MDF cabinet. The cabinet is finished in either high-gloss piano black or black cherrywood, and includes MartinLogan's signature perforated grille. The Motion 35XT speaker's elegant and timeless look will blend into almost any decor. The speaker cabinet also features rounded edges and a gently tapered top.
Bi-Wiring/Bi-Amping: Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: MartinLogan's proprietary tool-less binding posts simplify cable connection and management. The binding posts will accept bare wire (16- to 10-gauge), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Mounting Options: The bookshelf loudspeaker comes with 4 rubber self-adhesive feet to help secure them in place on a flat-surface, prevent slippage, and reduce vibration. The optional PinPoint heavy duty side-grip wall-mounting bracket (121AM41B, sold separately) can be used to wall mount the speakers.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
10 questions already asked