About the MartinLogan Motion® AFX
Take your surround sound higher with Dolby Atmos and MartinLogan
Placed on top of your existing speakers, the MartinLogan Motion AFX adds Dolby Atmos elevation effects to provide a richer, more immersive surround sound experience.
Take your surround sound higher with Dolby Atmos and MartinLogan
If you're using MartinLogan speakers in your home theater, you already know just how good they sound. Now MartinLogan offers a way to add even greater richness, clarity, and depth to your surround sound system with their Motion AFX Dolby Atmos enabled speakers. These add-on surround speakers feature technologies designed to work with your MartinLogan speakers and Dolby Atmos soundtracks to re-create an immersive, high-impact listening experience.
Not familiar with Dolby Atmos? It's the latest surround sound technology from the movie- and theater-sound experts at Dolby Laboratories. It adds a height dimension to your home theater, for enhanced immersion and spatial effects. From the soft patter of rain to the roar of a jet flying overhead, you'll enjoy dynamic surround sound that elevates your entire home theater.
Bounce sound off the ceiling for enhanced surround effects
How do these speakers work? Each features a 5-1/4" poly cone woofer and an aluminum dome tweeter located on top of the speaker. These drivers are angled to reflect sound off of your ceiling and back down to your listening positions. The Motion AFX speakers are designed sit on top of your existing floor-standing or bookshelf speakers. Use a pair with your main left and right fronts, or add another pair to the rear surrounds for an even more enveloping experience.
The AFXs are voiced-matched to work in perfect harmony with MartinLogan's Motion series speakers. They can also be used with MartinLogan's electrostatic speakers if placed within three feet of the electrostats, and positioned to allow them to radiate sound directly towards the ceiling.
Part of a complete MartinLogan surround sound system
The MartinLogan Motion Series features an array of speakers that are voice-matched for compatibility in an immersive surround sound system:
- Dolby Atmos add-on speakers
- designed to sit on top of floor-standing or bookshelf speakers
- drivers are angled up to reflect sound off the ceiling, for a heightened soundstage and overhead effects
- connect to a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver's height channels
- 3/4" aluminum dome tweeter
- 5-1/4" polypropylene cone woofer
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- high-performance crossover network
- frequency response: 90-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- impedance: 4 ohms (compatible with 4, 6, or 8 ohms rated amplifiers)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- recommended amplifier power: 20-200 watts
- durable brushed polymer veneer finish
- custom 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- 6-13/16"W x 7-3/4"H x 10"D
- weight: 8 lbs. each
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MOAFXBL
What's in the box:
- 2 Dolby Atmos enabled speakers
- User's Manual
- Warranty/Registration Card
MartinLogan Motion® AFX reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® AFX
Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers: MartinLogan Motion AFX speakers are designed to reflect sound off of the ceiling in a Dolby Atmos entertainment system. The Motion AFX Dolby Atmos enabled speakers create a height layer of sound above the listener that better connects viewers with the richness, detail and clarity of the on screen experience.
Note: In order to enjoy Dolby Atmos, you will also need a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver, a 5.1ch or 7.1ch speaker setup, and Blu-ray Disc content encoded for Dolby Atmos; in addition to the Motion AFX speakers.
Dolby Atmos Surround Sound Technology: Dolby Atmos delivers captivating sound that places and moves audio anywhere in the room, including overhead, to bring entertainment alive all around the audience. Whether you are listening to music, movies, television shows, or playing your favorite video games, Dolby Atmos delivers the full impact of the entertainment experience.
Mounting Options: The MartinLogan Motion AFX is designed to sit on top of floorstanding and bookshelf speakers in MartinLogan's Motion series. These models include the Motion 15, 20, 35XT, 40 and 60XT (all sold separately). The AFX will also work with other brands of speakers with a flat-surface top. Please consider the following when installing your Motion AFX speakers.
- Add Motion AFX speakers in pairs (2 or 4 speakers). If using only two Motion AFX speakers, they must be placed with your front left/right speakers. If using 4, they must be placed with your front left/right and back surround left/right or side surround left/right if you do not have back speakers.
- Make sure the Motion AFX speaker's output is not blocked and points at the ceiling and towards the primary listening position.
- Place the Motion AFX on top of your front or rear surround speakers or within 3' of these speakers, and slightly above ear height.
- Avoid placing the Motion AFX speakers higher than one-half the height of your ceiling.
- For optimal performance, use the Motion AFX speakers in a room with a flat ceiling and with a ceiling height of 14' or less, ideally with a height between 7.5' and 12'.
- To avoid unwanted proximity effects, place the Motion AFX speakers at minimum of 3' from the listening position, or ideally 5' or more.
Note: The Motion AFX is not recommended for use on top of MartinLogan's electrostatic speakers, as the electrostatic panels will block the radiation of the AFX's sound towards the ceiling. The Motion AFX can be used with electrostatic speaker if placed within 3' of the electrostats and in such a way that their sound is capable of radiating directly towards the ceiling.
Two-Way Driver System: Each Motion AFX speaker features a 0.75" aluminum dome tweeter and 5.25" polypropylene cone bass/midrange driver with stamped steel basket inside an acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet.
Note: When manually setting up bass management in your AV receiver, please set the height channels to small or 120 Hz if small is not available. The Motion AFX is not designed for full-range operation.
Angled Cabinet Design: The shape of the Motion AFX cabinet is specifically designed to angle the drivers towards the ceiling in order to accurately deliver a Dolby Atmos sound experience above the listeners. The cabinet feature a beautiful high-gloss black finish.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: Each Motion AFX speaker is fitted with a set of binding post speaker terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs. These speaker terminals will need to connect to your AV receiver's dedicated height channels for Dolby Atmos.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
4 questions already asked