About the MartinLogan Motion CI MC4
A compact speaker with big sound
A compact speaker with big sound
Want revealing overhead audio in a small- to medium-sized room? The Motion CI MC4 in-ceiling speaker delivers MartinLogan's signature sound without taking up any floor space.
Use a pair of these stealthy speakers for music, or as overhead effects channels in your custom-installed home theater system.
A built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound and protects against dust and dirt.
An acclaimed tweeter delivers smooth, sweet highs
One of the reasons the Motion CI MC4 sounds so good is its Folded Motion® tweeter.
This unique, accordion-style design yields quick, accurate, and very smooth highs. The Folded Motion tweeter is paired here with a 4" woven fiberglass woofer for textured midrange and tuneful bass.
A built-in enclosure elevates performance
My favorite feature of the MC4 is the integrated back-box that's built onto the speaker.
This carefully designed enclosure helps it deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is above it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust and dirt out of your speaker.
Build a Motion Series home theater
The MC4 would make a great overhead speaker in an immersive Dolby Atmos® surround system made up of MartinLogan Motion Series speakers:
I recommend using MartinLogan's pre-construction brackets for a precise, secure installation (sold separately).
- ideal for an in-ceiling music system or overhead surround effects in a home theater system
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound and protects against dust and dirt
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter for smooth, natural highs
- 4" woven fiberglass woofer for punchy bass and textured midrange
- frequency response: 90-25,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 50-120 watts
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 8-ohms compatible
- ultra-thin bezel and paintable magnetic grille to match your décor
- compatible with MartinLogan's pre-construction brackets for a precise, secure installation (sold separately)
- cutout diameter: 4-15/16"
- overall diameter: 5-11/16"
- mounting depth: 5-1/2"
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MC4
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- T20 Torx bit
- User's Manual
- Cutout Template
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion CI MC4
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Tweeter||Folded Motion Ribbon|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Tweeter Size||1" x 1.4"|
|Power Range (Watts)||50-60|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" x 1.4" Folded Motion Tweeter (FMT): The MC4 in-ceiling loudspeaker uses MartinLogan's signature 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion Tweeter (FMT) for precise clarity and incredible realism to meet all your audio needs. This innovative piece of audio technology provides incredible detail, precise clarity, clean output and high efficiency in a small in-ceiling loudspeaker.
- Low-Mass Diaphragm: MartinLogan's signature Folded Motion Tweeter utilizes an extremely low-mass diaphragm that "squeezes" air, thus requiring significantly less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter. Its folded design allows for a much larger surface area (compared to that of a regular 1"dome tweeter), controlled dispersion characteristics, and vanishingly low distortion. FMT delivers much of the high-frequency detail, speed and response of a large, dynamic electrostatic panel in a small space.
- Thin-Film Transducer: This thin-film transducer design packs all the accuracy and delicacy of an electrostatic panel into a small space. Folding the dramatically lightweight film into an accordion-like structure increases the surface area, giving Folded Motion tweeters 8 to 10x greater surface area than typical tweeters. This ideal combination of light and large produces superior accuracy, extended frequency bandwidth and higher output capability; all with a faster, more efficient transient response, and virtually zero distortion. In these characteristics, the FMT design can mimic the performance of a large electrostatic panel in the confines of a more traditional loudspeaker enclosure.
Controlled Dispersion: The Motion series architectural speakers feature MartinLogan’s Folded Motion Tweeter or FMT. The Fold Motion Tweeter (FMT) design features a controlled dispersion pattern of 80 x 80 degrees. This controlled " cone of sound" can be extremely useful in avoiding sound reflections in the room which would otherwise result in diminished sound quality. The controlled dispersion of the FMT can be used to help eliminate unwanted sound reflections or help reduce unwanted "sound leakage" into other areas of the home, especially in open floor plans - ensuring that sound is focused where you want it in the room.
4" Fiberglass Cone Woofer: The MC4 features a lightweight 4" woven fiberglass cone specifically engineered to blend seamlessly with the lightning speed of MartinLogan's signature Folded Motion Tweeter (FMT). Pairing the FMT with a lightweight woven fiberglass cone woofer means that the MartinLogan MC4 will deliver a clean and balanced sound that is perfectly suited for practically any application. Whether you listen to music, movies or a little bit of everything, the MC4 gives you a consistently high level of performance.
Proprietary Vojtko Crossover Network: Vojtko crossovers are named after MartinLogan's chief audio technologist, Joe Vojtko. Vojtko crossovers are hand-built from the highest quality components and avoid overly complex topologies with a straightforward objective of breathtaking realism. In designing each crossover topology, MartinLogan takes the drivers themselves into consideration. Carefully selected drivers, engineered for specific performance characteristics, are kept within their optimal frequency range by the custom Vojtko crossover. Each crossover is handcrafted using exceptional polypropylene and polyester capacitors, custom wound and large steel laminate low-DCR inductors, and double thick PCBs. This precision-tuned network preserves even the most microscopic sonic nuances while handling the full dynamics of any source. It's a recipe for extremely low distortion and seamless driver integration. The most critical aspect of a Vojtko crossover design is the final voicing that is always conducted in a real-world environment.
Built-In Enclosure: The MC4 features a built-in enclosure integrated into the in-ceiling speaker, making it easy to add incredible sound to a room without disturbing those above it. The built-in enclosure helps contain the sound coming off the back of the speaker to dramatically reduce unwanted sound that can travel through the floor and up into the living space above the speaker.
Micro-Perforated Grille: The MC4 features an ultra-low profile, paintable, micro-perforated grilles with no visible bezel for a "near-invisible" integration into almost any ceiling. A series of powerful magnets hidden inside the speaker quickly secure the grille into place, reducing the risk of warping or damage during installation. The micro-perforated grille only protrudes 0.25" from the ceiling.
Spring-Post Terminals: With easy pre-installation access, the MC4 in-ceiling speaker's spring-loaded posts will accommodate bare-wire (up to 12AWG) and pin-connectors. The spring-post terminals are too small for the use of banana plugs.
Applications: MartinLogan Motion Series MC4 in-ceiling speaker is ideal for 2-channel stereo and multiroom distribution applications, as well as surround or overhead channels in a home theater setup.
Placement Options: The MartinLogan MC in-ceiling speaker offers superb imaging and flexible placement in nearly any location. Keep in mind, the farther away the listener is from the speaker, the wider the coverage area of the tweeter becomes. For optimal results, attention should be paid to the mounting location to help ensure that the primary listening area is within the dispersion pattern of the tweeter.
- For best performance and imaging place speakers equidistant from the primary listening position and avoid physical obstructions between the speaker and primary listening position.
- Corner placement of these speakers will reinforce their bass output. If you require a more balanced output across the entire audio spectrum avoid mounting these speakers in a corner. Place a minimum of 12" from any wall corner.
- Rooms that are "over damped" with carpeting, drapes, and other sound absorbers can cause your system to sound dull and lifeless. On the other hand, rooms can have so many hard surfaces that the system sounds like a gymnasium. Experiment by adding or removing soft surfaces until you find a mix that sounds good to you.
In-Ceiling Installation: The MC4 speaker can be installed into a drywall ceiling in between the ceiling joists, being careful to avoid electrical wires behind the wall's surface. The MC4 requires a round cutout measuring 5.125" (diameter) x 5.5" (depth). "Dog-ear" style mounting clamps help secure the speaker to the ceiling. These mounting clamps require 0.5" of clearance around the inside of the cutout and will accommodate a 0.25" to 1.0" thick drywall surface.
Note: Increasing the rigidity of your walls may improve sonic performance. To do this consider adding cross bracing inside of the wall approximately 12" above and below the speaker.