About the MartinLogan Motion CI MC6-HT
Versatile in-ceiling sound from MartinLogan
Versatile in-ceiling sound from MartinLogan
I don't generally recommend in-ceiling speakers for your home theater's front channels. That's because conventional designs fire straight downward, causing sound to seem disconnected from what you see on your TV or projector screen.
The MartinLogan Motion CI MC6-HT is a rare exception of an in-ceiling speaker that's well-suited for reproducing your home theater's left, center, or right channel. Its angled baffle directs sound down and forward toward your listening position, making a movie's soundtrack feel like it's coming from the action unfolding on the screen instead of several feet above it.
This speaker's angled-baffle design helps it direct sound toward your listening position.
An acclaimed tweeter delivers smooth, sweet highs
One of the reasons the Motion CI MC6-HT sounds so good is its Folded Motion® tweeter.
This unique, accordion-style design yields quick, accurate, and very smooth highs. The Folded Motion tweeter is paired here with a 6-1/2" woven fiberglass woofer for punchy bass and textured midrange.
Build a Motion Series home theater
The MC6-HT makes a good match for other MartinLogan Motion Series speakers. Pair it with any of these models for an immersive home theater experience:
You can paint the included magnetic grille to have your speaker blend in with your décor. An optional back-box improves this speaker's performance and protection.
- ideal for an in-ceiling music or home theater system
- angled-baffle design for directing sound toward your listening position
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion® tweeter for smooth, natural highs
- 6-1/2" woven fiberglass woofer for punchy bass and textured midrange
- frequency response: 62-25,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 50-150 watts
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 8-ohms compatible
- sound direction can be changed by rotating the speaker assembly before moving the mounting locks into place
- ultra-thin bezel and paintable magnetic grille to match your décor
- compatible with optional back-box for improved performance and protection
- cutout diameter: 10-1/4"
- overall diameter: 11-5/16"
- mounting depth: 6-13/16"
- weight: 6.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MC6-HT
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling loudspeaker
- T20 Torx bit
- User's Manual
- Cutout Template
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion CI MC6-HT
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Tweeter||Folded Motion Ribbon|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Tweeter Size||1" x 1.4"|
|Power Range (Watts)||50-75|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
1" x 1.4" Folded Motion Tweeter (FMT): The MC6-HT in-ceiling loudspeaker uses MartinLogan's signature 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion Tweeter (FMT) for precise clarity and incredible realism to meet all your audio needs. This innovative piece of audio technology provides incredible detail, precise clarity, clean output and high efficiency in a small in-ceiling loudspeaker.
- Low-Mass Diaphragm: MartinLogan's signature Folded Motion Tweeter utilizes an extremely low-mass diaphragm that "squeezes" air, thus requiring significantly less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter. Its folded design allows for a much larger surface area (compared to that of a regular 1"dome tweeter), controlled dispersion characteristics, and vanishingly low distortion. FMT delivers much of the high-frequency detail, speed and response of a large, dynamic electrostatic panel in a small space.
- Thin-Film Transducer: This thin-film transducer design packs all the accuracy and delicacy of an electrostatic panel into a small space. Folding the dramatically lightweight film into an accordion-like structure increases the surface area, giving Folded Motion tweeters 8 to 10x greater surface area than typical tweeters. This ideal combination of light and large produces superior accuracy, extended frequency bandwidth and higher output capability; all with a faster, more efficient transient response, and virtually zero distortion. In these characteristics, the FMT design can mimic the performance of a large electrostatic panel in the confines of a more traditional loudspeaker enclosure.
Controlled Dispersion: The Motion series architectural speakers feature MartinLogan’s Folded Motion Tweeter or FMT. The Fold Motion Tweeter (FMT) design features a controlled dispersion pattern of 80 x 80 degrees. This controlled " cone of sound" can be extremely useful in avoiding sound reflections in the room which would otherwise result in diminished sound quality. The controlled dispersion of the FMT can be used to help eliminate unwanted sound reflections or help reduce unwanted "sound leakage" into other areas of the home, especially in open floor plans - ensuring that sound is focused where you want it in the room.
6.5" Fiberglass Cone Woofer: The MC6-HT features a lightweight 6.5" woven fiberglass cone specifically engineered to blend seamlessly with the lightning speed of MartinLogan's signature Folded Motion Tweeter (FMT). Pairing the FMT with a lightweight woven fiberglass cone woofer means that the MartinLogan MC6-HT will deliver a clean and balanced sound that is perfectly suited for practically any application. Whether you listen to music, movies or a little bit of everything, the MC6-HT gives you a consistently high level of performance.
Angled Baffle: By designing the in-ceiling speaker with a fixed tweeter and woofer angle, MartinLogan was able to tune the performance of the speaker far more accurately than universal pivoting designs. By eliminating the variable of tweeter and woofer angle, the precision Vojtko crossover network has been tuned for more accurate and predictable results. The MC6-HT is recommended for applications where the listener will spend most of their time not directly underneath the speaker.
Proprietary Vojtko Crossover Network: Vojtko crossovers are named after MartinLogan's chief audio technologist, Joe Vojtko. Vojtko crossovers are hand-built from the highest quality components and avoid overly complex topologies with a straightforward objective of breathtaking realism. In designing each crossover topology, MartinLogan takes the drivers themselves into consideration. Carefully selected drivers, engineered for specific performance characteristics, are kept within their optimal frequency range by the custom Vojtko crossover. Each crossover is handcrafted using exceptional polypropylene and polyester capacitors, custom wound and large steel laminate low-DCR inductors, and double thick PCBs. This precision-tuned network preserves even the most microscopic sonic nuances while handling the full dynamics of any source. It's a recipe for extremely low distortion and seamless driver integration. The most critical aspect of a Vojtko crossover design is the final voicing that is always conducted in a real-world environment.
Micro-Perforated Grille: The MC6-HT features an ultra-low profile, paintable, micro-perforated grilles with no visible bezel for a "near-invisible" integration into almost any ceiling. A series of powerful magnets hidden inside the speaker quickly secure the grille into place, reducing the risk of warping or damage during installation. The micro-perforated grille only protrudes 0.25" from the ceiling.
Spring-Post Terminals: With easy pre-installation access, the MC6-HT in-ceiling speaker's spring-loaded posts will accommodate bare-wire (up to 12AWG) and pin-connectors. The spring-post terminals are too small for the use of banana plugs.
Applications: MartinLogan Motion Series MC6-HT in-ceiling speaker is ideal for 2-channel stereo and multiroom distribution applications; as well as front, center, surround or overhead channels in a home theater setup.
- Placement Options: The MC6-HT in-ceiling speaker is optimized for use in rooms with ceiling heights ranging from 8' to 9'. For best performance and imaging place speakers equidistant from the primary listening position and avoid physical obstructions between the speaker and primary listening position. Point the tweeter toward the primary listening position. For overall clarity and balanced bass performance, these speakers should be mounted in the ceiling 12" or more from the wall. Corner placement of these speakers will reinforce their bass output.
- Mountingn Options: For optimal results, attention should be paid to the mounting location to help ensure that the primary listening area is within the dispersion pattern of the tweeter. Keep in mind, the farther away the listener is from the speaker, the wider the coverage area of the tweeter becomes. The MC6-HT requires a round cutout measuring 10.5" (diameter) x 6.5" (depth). "Dog-ear" style mounting clamps help secure the speaker to the ceiling. These mounting clamps require 0.5" of clearance around the inside of the cutout and will accommodate a 0.25" to 1.0" thick drywall surface.
- Increasing the rigidity of your walls may improve sonic performance. To do this consider adding cross bracing inside of the wall approximately 12" above and below the speaker.
- Rooms that are "over damped" with carpeting, drapes, and other sound absorbers can cause your system to sound dull and lifeless. On the other hand, rooms can have so many hard surfaces that the system sounds like a gymnasium. Experiment by adding or removing soft surfaces until you find a mix that sounds good to you.