About the MartinLogan Motion® LX16
A compact speaker with a big voice
A compact speaker with a big voice
MartinLogan's Motion® LX16 bookshelf speaker has been a smash hit with our customers — and for good reason. This compact speaker creates stunningly natural, transparent sound at a great value. Use a pair to create a high-quality stereo music system, or build a multi-channel home theater around them with a matching subwoofer.
A treat for the ears and the eyes
The LX16 doesn't just sound good — it's a visually striking speaker as well. It sports a furniture-grade, high-gloss finish. And its magnetically attached perforated steel grille lends a stylish look to any room you put it in. Though small in size, the Motion LX16 delivers huge musical enjoyment.
Folded Motion™ tweeter for detailed sound
This member of MartinLogan's award-winning Motion series features advanced speaker technologies like the Folded Motion tweeter.
Dave's expert take
Long-time Crutchfield advisor, writer, and audio guru Dave Bar had this to say about the LX16's unique tweeter design:
"MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works like an accordion by 'squeezing' air to create sound. It requires about 90% less excursion than a typical 1" dome tweeter, resulting in quicker response time and much lower distortion.
The tweeter's controlled sound dispersion creates a focused soundstage with a real sense of presence. Music sounds amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness."
—Dave Bar, long-time Crutchfield audio expert
Bass that keeps pace
The Motion LX16 uses a 5-1/4" aluminum cone woofer to supply fast, clean midrange and lower-mid frequencies that blend in seamlessly with the Folded Motion tweeter. A low-turbulence rear-firing port extends bass performance, but keeps it tight and tuneful.
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter for exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- 5-1/4" black aluminum-cone woofer with cast basket
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- high-precision, advanced topology audiophile-grade crossover network
- black-anodized brushed aluminum front baffle
- frequency response: 60-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 5 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-200 watts
- custom binding post speaker terminals
- perforated steel grille attaches magnetically to cabinet
- high-gloss Piano Black finish
- 6-9/16"W x 11-1/8"H x 9-11/16"D
- weight: 12 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Motion LX16-GB
What's in the box:
- Bookshelf loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- 4 Rubber bumpers
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
MartinLogan Motion® LX16 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® LX16
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Folded Motion|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.0 x 1.4|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Frequency Response||60-25k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||28-31|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Motion LX16 bookshelf loudspeaker employs a two-way speaker design and features MartinLogan's advanced resolution Folded Motion tweeter and a single 5.25" black-aluminum cone midbass woofer. Pairing these two drivers together creates a dynamic full-range sound with an expansive soundstage.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter helps give the Motion LX16 bookshelf loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Aluminum Cone Woofer w/ Bass Port: The MartinLogan Motion LX16 bookshelf loudspeaker features a high-excursion 5.25" black-aluminum cone woofer with a cast basket housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber with a rear-firing bass port. The aluminum cone woofer uses a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. Pairing the 5.25" woofer with a rear-firing bass port provides higher output and audibly richer, deeper bass performance.
Precision Crossover: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the midbass driver (woofer), the Motion LX16 loudspeaker features a precision 2,700Hz crossover utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
High-Gloss MDF Cabinet: Complementing the Motion LX16 loudspeaker's sonic accuracy is its solidly constructed 3/4" thick MDF cabinet. The cabinet is finished in either high-gloss piano black or black cherrywood, and includes MartinLogan's signature perforated grille. The Motion LX16 speaker's elegant and timeless look will blend into almost any decor. The speaker cabinet also features rounded edges and a gently tapered top.
Binding Posts: MartinLogan's proprietary tool-less binding posts simplify cable connection and management. The binding posts will accept bare wire (16- to 10-gauge), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Mounting Options: The bookshelf loudspeaker comes with 4 rubber self-adhesive feet to help secure them in place on a flat-surface, prevent slippage, and reduce vibration. The optional PinPoint heavy duty side-grip wall-mounting bracket (121AM41B, sold separately) can be used to wall mount the speaker. A 3/8"-16 threaded insert on the back of the speaker can also be used with 3rd-party wall-mount brackets; however, 3/8"-16 is not a common size bolt used in wall mount brackets.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked