About the MartinLogan Motion® 20
A conventional speaker from MartinLogan? Not exactly.
A conventional speaker from MartinLogan? Not exactly.
The MartinLogan Motion 20 might look more conventional than what you're used to seeing from this innovative company. But this sleek, slender tower is far from ordinary. Its airy, transparent highs will get your attention, just like they caught ours when MartinLogan played this speaker for us at a recent demo. We also noticed plenty of tight bass, in addition to warm mids that sounded open and honest. The Motion 20 proves that MartinLogan's dynamic-driver speakers are worthy of the same attention their legendary electrostatic technology receives.
Detail and precision from the Folded Motion™ tweeter
Perched above the Motion 20's upper woofer is the source of this speaker's impressive high-frequency performance — MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter. Its pleated diaphragm works similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. Because it requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, response time is drastically reduced along with distortion. The diaphragm's increased surface area also provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and highly accurate soundstage.
The Motion 20 balances its impressive high-end extension with a solid low-frequency foundation. That's the job of the dual 5-1/2" woofers and the rear-firing bass port. Not only do they go plenty low, they do so with minimal distortion to keep the sound clean and punchy. And don't underestimate the importance of this speaker's spiked feet. The Energy Transfer Coupler spikes help improve bass dispersion across your room while keeping it tight rather than boomy.
All that and looks too
MartinLogan knows how to catch ears and eyes. The Motion 20 comes in your choice of Gloss Black or Black Cherrywood finishes. The cabinet features an angled top and soft corners, making it stand out from the typical box-shaped tower speaker. At just over 36 inches tall, it won't overwhelm your entire living room or dwarf your TV stand, making placement a snap.
- Folded Motion tweeter for high output levels and low distortion
- two 5-1/2" aluminum cone woofers
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet
- rear-firing bass port for enhanced low-frequency response
- high-performance Vojtko crossover network with custom air core coil, low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors, and low DF electrolytic capacitors
- frequency response: 46-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-200 watts
- perforated magnetic grille
- Black Cherrywood finish
- removable floor spikes
- five-way binding post speaker terminals (bi-amp/bi-wire capable)
- 6-13/16"W x 35-5/8"H x 11-3/4"D
- weight: 37 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MO20-BC
What's in the box:
- Floor-standing loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- 4 Spiked feet
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Product Registration Card
MartinLogan Motion® 20 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® 20
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1 x 1.4|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
|Frequency Response||46-25k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Tower Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Motion 20 tower loudspeaker employs a 3-way speaker design and features MartinLogan's advanced resolution Folded Motion tweeter, a 5.5" aluminum cone midrange driver, and one 5.5" aluminum cone midbass woofer. Pairing these trio of drivers together creates a dynamic full-range sound with an expansive soundstage.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter helps give the Motion 20 tower loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Dual Aluminum Cone Woofers w/ Rear Firing Bass Port: The MartinLogan Motion 20 loudspeaker features a 5.5" aluminum cone midrange woofer and a 5.5" aluminum cone midbass woofer housed in separate non-resonant asymmetrical chambers. Each aluminum cone woofer uses a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. The midrange woofer promotes an even more open, revealing, and authentic sound in the critical midrange frequencies. The midbass woofer is paired with the rear-firing bass port to create increased cone area delivering higher output and audibly richer, deeper bass performance.
Precision Vojtko Crossovers: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the Folded Motion tweeter, 5.5" midrange driver, and 5.5" bass woofer, the Motion 20 tower speaker features two precision Vojtko crossovers (500/2,600Hz) utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
High-Gloss Cabinet: Complementing the Motion 20 loudspeaker's sonic accuracy is its elegant, yet understated styling. A high-gloss piano black, gloss white, or black cherrywood finish, along with MartinLogan's signature perforated grille, give the Motion 20 speaker an elegant and timeless look that will blend into almost any decor.
Bi-Wirable Binding Post: The MartinLogan Motion 20 features bi-wirable binding posts and provide the ultimate level of flexibility for connection and setup. MartinLogan's proprietary tool-less binding posts simplify cable connection and management. Two sets are supplied; one connected to the tweeter and midrange, while the other is connected to the dual woofers. You can choose to bi-wire/bi-amp the Motion 20 loudspeaker, or use jumper clips between the binding post sets for a single wire-connection. The binding posts will accept bare wire (16- to 8-gauge), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Interchangeable Feet: The MartinLogan Motion 20 tower loudspeaker includes four pre-installed rubber feet for tile and hardwood floors. You can replace the pre-installed rubber feet with four metal spiked feet for carpeted flooring. Both the rubber and spiked feet are threaded so they can be adjusted to non-level floors. The spiked feed add approximately 0.875" to the height of the speaker.
Placement: Although the speakers are designed to deliver a superb sonic performance when placed close to a wall, you may notice improved imaging and detail if you are able to place the speakers (measured from the tweeter and woofers) 2' to 3' from the front wall and 2' or more from the side walls. To achieve optimum stereo imaging it is recommend that you aim the speakers toward your primary listening position.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?