About the MartinLogan Motion® 40
These speakers will get your attention for the all the right reasons
These speakers will get your attention for the all the right reasons
MartinLogan may be known for their innovative electrostatic speakers. But they know a few things about more conventional designs, too. Their Motion 40 speaker is proof, offering sublime high-end detail, smooth midrange accuracy, and deep bass extension. These beautiful speakers offer wide-open sound that seems to breathe with clarity and depth. The Motion series caught our attention when MartinLogan played them for us at a recent demonstration. We're anxious to hear more from the Motion 40. A lot more.
Detail and precision from the Folded Motion™ tweeter
Perched above the Motion 40's midrange woofer is the source of this speaker's impressive high-frequency performance — MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter. Its pleated diaphragm works similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. Because it requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, response time is drastically reduced along with distortion. The diaphragm's increased surface area also provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and highly accurate soundstage.
The Motion 40 speakers excel at delivering airy high-end detail.
A solid mid- and low-frequency foundation
Glorious high-end transparency is just part of the Motion 40's story. A 5-1/2" woofer keeps those crucial midrange frequencies warm and neutral, so vocals sound almost as if the singer were in the room. What about the bass? Two 6-1/2" woofers ensure the Motion 40 goes plenty low. These oversized drivers increase low-frequency output, making sure bass response isn't an afterthought or left for a subwoofer to worry about. The rear-firing bass port helps efficiently enhance bass response without adding distortion to this speaker's clean performance.
All that and looks too
MartinLogan knows how to catch ears and eyes. The Motion 40 comes in your choice of Gloss Black or Black Cherrywood finishes. The cabinet features an angled top and soft corners, making it stand out from the typical box-shaped tower speaker. Removable spiked feet offer stability while preserving this speaker's natural sound.
- Folded Motion tweeter for high output levels and low distortion
- one 5-1/2" aluminum cone midrange woofer
- two 6-1/2" aluminum cone low-frequency woofers
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet
- rear-firing bass port for enhanced low-frequency response
- high-performance Vojtko crossover network with custom air core coil, low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors, and low DF electrolytic capacitors
- frequency response: 40-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-300 watts
- perforated magnetic grille
- Gloss Black finish
- includes removable floor spikes
- five-way binding post speaker terminals (bi-amp/bi-wire capable)
- 7-9/16"W x 41-1/2"H x 12-3/4"D
- weight: 49 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MO40GDCOP
What's in the box:
- Floor-standing loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- 4 Spiked feet
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Product Registration Card
MartinLogan Motion® 40 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® 40
Features & specs
|Tweeter||Folded Motion Transducer|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1x1.4|
|Midrange Size (inches)||5.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
|Frequency Response||40-25k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
3-Way Tower Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Motion 40 tower loudspeaker employs a 3-way speaker design and features MartinLogan's advanced resolution Folded Motion Tweeter, a 5.5" aluminum cone midrange driver, and two 6.5" aluminum cone bass woofers. Pairing these trio of woofers together with the Folded Motion Tweeter creates a dynamic full-range sound with an expansive soundstage.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion Tweeter helps give the Motion 40 tower loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion Tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- 5.5" Midrange Driver: The MartinLogan Motion 40 loudspeaker features a 5.5" aluminum cone midrange driver housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber. The aluminum cone driver uses a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. This 5.5" midrange driver promotes an even more open, revealing, and authentic sound in the critical midrange/midbass.
- Two Aluminum 6.5" Woofers w/ Rear-Firing Bass Port: The MartinLogan Motion 40 also features dual 6.5" aluminum cone bass woofers housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber with a rear-firing port. The aluminum cone woofers use a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. The two 6.5" woofers paired with the rear-firing bass port create increased cone area delivering higher output and audibly richer, deeper bass performance.
Precision Vojtko Crossovers: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the Folded Motion Tweeter, 5.5" midrange driver, and dual 6.5" bass woofers, the Motion 40 tower speaker features two precision Vojtko crossovers (500/2,600Hz) utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
Bi-Wirable Binding Post: The MartinLogan Motion 40 features bi-wirable binding posts and provide the ultimate level of flexibility for connection and setup. MartinLogan's proprietary tool-less binding posts simplify cable connection and management. Two sets are supplied; one connected to the tweeter and midrange, while the other is connected to the dual woofers. You can choose to bi-wire/bi-amp the Motion 40 loudspeaker, or use jumper clips between the binding post sets for a single wire-connection. The binding posts will accept bare wire (16- to 8-gauge), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
High-Gloss Cabinet: Complementing the Motion 40 loudspeaker's sonic accuracy is its elegant, yet understated styling. A high-gloss, piano black or black cherrywood finish, along with MartinLogan's signature perforated grille, give the Motion 40 speaker an elegant and timeless look that will blend into almost any decor.
Interchangeable Feet: The MartinLogan Motion 40 tower loudspeaker includes four pre-installed rubber feet for tile and hardwood floors. You can replace the pre-installed rubber feet with four metal spiked feet for carpeted flooring. Both the rubber and spiked feet are threaded so they can be adjusted to non-level floors. The spiked feed add approximately 0.875" to the height of the speaker.
Placement: Although the speakers are designed to deliver a superb sonic performance when placed close to a wall, you may notice improved imaging and detail if you are able to place the speakers (measured from the tweeter and woofers) 2' to 3' from the front wall and 2' or more from the side walls. To achieve optimum stereo imaging it is recommend that you aim the speakers toward your primary listening position.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked