About the MartinLogan Motion® 60XTi
A high-performance tower speaker
A high-performance tower speaker
The Motion 60XTi floor-standing speaker plays loud and low, and with impressive transparency and presence.
The 60XTi is the flagship of MartinLogan's Motion line. It produces detailed highs, open and authentic midrange performance, and deep, musical bass response. This model features a drive-stabilizing dust cap and stiffened motor suspension on its midrange and low-frequency woofers. The latter are mounted low to reduce an unwelcome acoustic phenomenon known as floor bounce, to keep the bass and critical midrange frequencies properly balanced. Because details matter.
Folded Motion XT® tweeter for detailed sound
MartinLogan's acclaimed Folded Motion XT tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. Because it requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, response time is drastically reduced along with distortion.
The diaphragm's increased surface area also provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and highly accurate soundstage. Music sounds amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness. And the XT tweeter boasts a 40% larger radiating surface area than MartinLogan's standard Folded Motion design, for even greater bandwidth and efficiency.
Excellent midrange and bass
The Motion 60XTi uses a low-distortion 6-1/2" aluminum cone woofer to supply fast, clean midrange and two 8" woofers for powerful bass performance that blends seamlessly with the Folded Motion XT tweeter. Two low-turbulence rear-firing ports extend bass performance, but keep it tight and tuneful.
Unique crossover network
Motion Series speakers feature proprietary Vojtko™ crossovers, named after MartinLogan's chief audio technologist, Joe Vojtko. "A Vojtko crossover isn't so much a set of design requirements as it is a philosophy," the company explains. Each speaker's drivers are carefully selected or designed to operate within an intentional frequency range and specific performance parameters. That allows the crossover networks — built from high-quality capacitors and resistors — to be clean and uncomplicated.
Part of a complete MartinLogan surround sound system
The MartinLogan Motion Series features an array of speakers that are voice-matched for compatibility in an immersive surround sound system:
- 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion® XT tweeter for exceptional detail and low distortion
- one 6-1/2" aluminum cone midrange with cast polymer basket
- two 8" aluminum cone woofers with cast aluminum baskets
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with rear-firing ports
- proprietary high-performance Vojtko™ crossover network
- frequency response: 35-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 94 dB
- nominal impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-400 watts
- fabric-wrapped magnetic grille
- includes outrigger feet and removable floor spikes for extra stability on carpeted floors
- dual five-way binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
Dimensions and warranty:
- 11-7/16"W (w/feet installed) x 48"H x 14-7/16"D
- weight: 66 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MO60XTIMW
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 2 Grilles
- 4 Rubber feet (pre-installed)
- 4 Spike feet (w/ nuts attached)
- 2 Feet stabizers
- 4 Bolts
- User's Manual
- Warranty/Registration Information
MartinLogan Motion® 60XTi reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the MartinLogan Motion® 60XTi
Features & specs
|Tweeter||Folded Motion XT (Ribbon)|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.25 x 2.4|
|Midrange Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||35-25k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Folded Motion XT Tweeter: MartinLogan's signature 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter utilizes an extremely low mass diaphragm that "squeezes" air, thus demanding significantly less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter. Its folded design also allows for a much larger surface area than compared to that of a regular 1" dome tweeter for controlled dispersion and low distortion characteristics. MartinLogan's Folded Motion XT tweeter is engineered to deliver much of the same high-frequency detail and speed of their large, dynamic electrostatic panel in a small space. This Folded Motion XT tweeter with advanced thin-film transducer technology offers a 40% larger radiating surface and 80x30 degree controlled dispersion for an increased audible bandwidth without sacrificing any detail and minimizing distortion to an unprecedented level, while also increasing efficiency and the tweeter's already lightning-fast response time. The result is a natural, realistic, and dynamic sound.
High-Performance Woofers & Midrange Driver: Two custom built, 8" bass drivers and one custom built-in 6.5" midrange driver pair a high-power magnet structure with an aluminum cone diaphragm to deliver massive excursion and sound output, while preserving bass details and maximizing power handling capability - all without a hint of distortion. A unique concave dust cap design reinforces the strength and rigidity of the cone, while also reducing break up modes.
- Aluminum Cone Woofer Construction: The use of aluminum for for the cone maximizes rigidity and strength of the driver without adding excessive weight. This, along with the exceptional damping properties of aluminum, ensures the smooth, non-resonant response necessary for seamless blending with the high-resolution Folded Motion tweeter. An added benefit of aluminum is its outstanding thermal conduction capability which allows cones to serve as efficient heat sinks for the voice coil.
- Stiff Midrange Suspension: To deliver accuracy in the critical midrange, the dedicated midrange driver features a specially engineered "stiff" suspension. Stiffening the suspension (the spider and surround) raises the driver's resonant frequency and optimizes its performance to achieve a natural roll-off and inherently operate within an ideal range for a mid-frequency reproduction.
- Deliberate Low-Mounted Woofer Design: Both bass woofers are positioned low in the cabinet and close to the floor. This deliberate design addresses a phenomenon known as floor bounce where sound reflected off the floor (from drivers positioned high on a cabinet), and those aimed directly at the listener interfere with each other. Without addressing these issues, listeners would experience bloated bass and massive increases and decreases in sound levels throughout critical midrange frequencies. Through careful crossover design and driver positioning, the floorstanding Motion Series loudspeaker delivers a flat, balanced response through the bass and midrange regions. Such considerations are crucial when seeking to achieve accurate reproduction of vocals and instruments such as kick drums.
Proprietary Vojtko Crossover Network: The MartinLogan Motion Series speaker features a proprietary Vojtko crossover network network using polypropylene and low-DF electrolytic capacitors, custom-wound inductors, and thermal and current protection. Vojtko crossovers are named after MartinLogan's chief audio technologist, Joe Vojtko. His unique approach to crossover design is as big of a part of the "MartinLogan Sound" as are electrostatic and Folded Motion thin-film driver technologies. A Vojtko crossover isn't so much a set of design requirements as it is a philosophy. Vojtko crossovers are designed in such a way that all drivers are kept within their optimal frequency range and balanced with one another. The drivers themselves are as much a part of a Vojtko crossover as are capacitors and resistors. Before the design of any crossover begins, drivers are carefully selected or designed to operate within a very intentional frequency range and with precise and predictable performance parameters. Vojtko crossovers are always built from high-quality parts, and care is taken to avoid overly complex topologies (a straightforward objective due to the careful selection of woofers and tweeters). The final and most critical aspect of a Vojtko Crossover is its final voicing is conducted in a space that is indicative of a real-world environment, so the MartinLogan Motion Series speakers will sound their best in real-world rooms.
Bass Reflex MDF Cabinet: The MartinLogan Motion Series loudspeaker utilizes a solid built cabinet design to eliminate fidelity robbing vibrations. The speaker cabinet is constructed from 18mm (0.7") MDF with 31mm (1.2") thick front baffles and additional internal bracing to further reduce cabinet resonance. On the back of the cabinet are two rear-firing ports which help the speaker be more efficient and have better bass performance. The speaker enclosure comes with a fabric wrapped magnetic grille. The cabinet is available in three finishes - gloss black, matte white, and red walnut.
Dual Gold-Plated Binding Posts: The Motion 60XTi is outfitted with two sets of gold-plated binding posts allowing youto bi-amp or bi-wire the floorstanding speaker. These binding posts ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and bare wire (up to 10AWG). The binding posts are gold-plated for excellent audio signal transfer and resistance to corrosion.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Rubber & Spike Feet: The Motion 60XTi floorstanding loudspeaker comes with both rubber & spike feet. The rubber feet come pre-installed on the bottom of the speaker cabinet and are ideal for hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The rubber feet can be removed and the included stabizer bars and spike feet can be screwed into the bottom of the speaker cabinet. The stablizer bars and spike feet are designed for carpeted floors.
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 9.0625" (w) x 46.1875" (h) x 15.5625" (d)
- Dimensions with Stablizer Bars & Spike Feet: 11.4375" (w) x 47.625" (h) x 15.5625" (d)
- Although the speaker is designed to deliver a superb sonic performance when placed close to a wall, you may notice improved imaging and detail if you are able to place the speaker 2' to 3' from the rear wall and 2' or more from the side walls.
- To achieve better stereo imaging, you should aim (or "toe-in") a pair of speakers toward the primary listening position.
Motion Series: MartinLogan's Motion Series incorporate Folded Motion tweeter technology, high performance aluminum cone woofers, custom tune crossovers, and solidly built MDF cabinets to deliver refined sound with an ultra-wide dynamic range for stunning clarity and low distortion. The Motion Series consists of three floor-standing loudspeakers (MO20i / MO40i / MO60XTi), two bookshelf loudspeakers (MO15i / MO35XTi), and two center channel loudspeakers (MO30i / MO50XTi).
Optional Powered Subwoofer: Add on an optional MartinLogan powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for bigger and deeper bass response when listening to your movie and music soundtracks.
17 questions already asked