About the MartinLogan Vanquish
An in-ceiling speaker that will floor you
An in-ceiling speaker that will floor you
When we first heard MartingLogan's ElectroMotion® R in-ceiling speakers, we were very impressed. But when the Vanquish showed up, well, we were simply floored. This beast of an in-ceiling speaker delivers some of the finest music and movie sound you're likely to ever hear — especially from a nearly invisible source. As part of MartinLogan's Stealth™ Architectural Series, the Vanquish receives the same attention to detail and advanced technologies as their highly regarded bookshelf and floor-standing speakers. Use a pair of Vanquish to create a space-saving, ultra-high performance stereo system, or as left, right, center, and surround speakers for a killer, low-profile home theater.
Folded Motion XT tweeter for detailed sound
One reason the Vanquish sounds so good is MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion XT tweeter. Instead of a dome or cone, it uses a pleated diaphragm that works similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. Because it requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, response time is drastically reduced, along with distortion. The diaphragm's increased surface area also provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and highly accurate soundstage. Music and movies will sound amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness.
Enjoy awesome sound quality from a speaker that disappears into your ceiling
Solid construction, powerful performance
The speaker's deep, high-definition bass comes courtesy of an 8" aluminum cone woofer mounted in a rigid, cast-aluminum basket that minimizes unwanted resonance. Dual 3-1/2" drivers supply clear, articulate midrange that blends seamlessly with the Folded Motion XT tweeter. A hand-built, audiophile-grade crossover ensures precise driver integration for high-accuracy sound.
Beneath the low-profile grille, a thick, vibration-resistant MDF baffle helps lock the drivers securely in place. The baffle, drivers, and crossover are all housed within a solid one-piece die-cast aluminum chassis to provide outstanding strength and durability. A robust mounting-lock system provides firm coupling of the speaker's chassis to the ceiling.
A hand-built, premium-quality crossover and heavy-duty construction contribute to the superb sound of the Vanquish.
- 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter for exceptional detail with low distortion
- two 3-1/2" aluminum cone midrange drivers
- 8" aluminum cone woofer with cast aluminum basket for powerful, accurate bass
- frequency response: 37-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 20-300 watts
- sensitivity: 93 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- ideal for stereo music or multichannel home theater applications
- hand-built audiophile-grade crossover network
- solid one-piece cast aluminum chassis
- magnetically attached paintable speaker grille
- overall diameter: 14-7/16"
- cutout diameter: 13-1/8"
- mounting depth: 6-1/8"
- weight: 16 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Vanquish
What's in the box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Paint shield
- User's Manual
- Install Template
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
MartinLogan Vanquish reviews
Packs more of a punch than you would expect!
Pros: Super easy to install. Loud!
Cons: Make sure you check your framing. My joists were at 10" in the room I installed them and I had to do a lot more work to get them in. With regular 14" framing these things would have gone up in minutes.
3 of 3 found this helpful
More details on the MartinLogan Vanquish
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Tweeter||Folded Motion XT|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Power Range (Watts)||20-300|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w.registration|
Stealth Series: Stealth Series speakers are designed to disappear visually into the room, and each one has a completely bezel-less, low-profile, paintable grille for the ultimate stealth installation. Martin Logan's in-house design and engineering team also minimized the grille's perforated metal holes to create a more discreet look, without compromising the quality of sound. A magnetic system secures grilles easily into place, reducing the risk of warping or damage during installation. MartinLogan also refined the look underneath the grille for those who want to show off their high-performance in-ceiling or in-ceiling speakers. The driver complements are held securely in place by a flush mounted 0.75" solid, high-gloss piano black baffle that hides all mounting hardware
Three-Way Driver Design: The Stealth Series Vanquish utilizes MartinLogan's 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter, along with two 3.5" aluminum midrange drivers and one 8" aluminum midbass woofer.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's exquisite 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter, with its large radiating surface, works by moving air perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air, requiring almost 90% less excursion than a typical 1" dome tweeter. This drastically minimizes distortion while providing lightning-fast transient response. The increased surface area also delivers wide, yet controlled dispersion ensuring a breathtakingly realistic and delicately etched soundstage. The speaker's chassis can be rotated allowing tweeter to be precisely pointed at the listening area.
- Aluminum Cone Midrange & Midbass Woofers: The MartinLogan Vanquish speaker employs two 3.5" aluminum cone midrange drivers with rubber surround and stamped steel basket for open, revealing midrange performance; plus an 8" aluminum cone midbass woofers with rubber surround and a cast aluminum basket for deep, accurate bass performance.
Advanced Crossover Network: Key to the MartinLogan Vanquish speaker's sophisticated sound is an advanced topology Vojtko crossover network. Each crossover is built on top of double-layered, super-thick, black PC boards and constructed with the highest-quality components. Internals including massive air-core coils, thick, high-purity 16-gauge copper wire, and low-distortion polypropylene capacitors ensure that every nuance of the audio signal is preserved.
Rigid Chassis: The MartinLogan Vanquish in-ceiling speakers features a gloss piano-black speaker baffle that hides all mounting hardware, a solid one-piece cast aluminum chassis, and a bezel-less magnetic grille. The speaker has a mounting height of 0.25" from the outer wall.
Spring-Post Terminals: The MartinLogan Vanquish is fitted with a set of spring-post terminals to connect your in-ceiling speaker wire.
Robust Mounting System: Vanquish' robust mounting-lock system is coupled with a solid aluminum chassis. When not in use, the constant-control mounting locks are held securely within a self-contained housing. When moved into place during installation, they couple the chassis and add rigidity to the wall.
Speaker Applications: The MartinLogan Vanquish in-ceiling loudspeaker can be used as a center channel, front left/right speaker, surround left/right speaker, or simply in a stereo or multiroom application.
Speaker Placement: The MartinLogan in-ceiling speaker offers superb imaging and flexible placement in nearly any location. However, for best performance and imaging place speakers equidistant from one another and avoid physical obstructions between the speaker and primary listening position.
Break-In Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked