About the Yamaha P45B
Yamaha's latest take
Yamaha's latest take
For years, piano players suffered serious lower back pain, lugging around heavy electric instruments with less-than-ideal sounds. Yamaha's P45B, their latest entry-level 88-key digital piano, makes that suffering a distant memory. This 25-pound wonder offers 2 killer piano voices, along with 8 organ, harpsichord, and vibraphone sounds, and it's built to take the inevitable abuse that every portable keyboard faces.
The piano's built-in sound system features an amp, stereo speakers, and selectable effects, for a rich sound in your home or practice room. The package includes a foot switch, an AC adapter, and a music rest.
There's not much point in practicing on a portable piano with unrealistic action. With Yamaha's Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) weighted action, you'll feel a heavier touch in the low range and lighter touch in the high range, just like you experience with an acoustic piano. The black keys feature a matte finish that's a big improvement over the slippery keys you'll usually find on most other keyboards in this price range. If you're a beginning or intermediate pianist, you'll find that this keyboard develops technique that will serve you well when you perform on an acoustic.
The sound's the thing
You find 10 voices at your disposal, including piano, organ, harpsichord, strings, and vibraphone. If you're listening through the built-in speakers or through headphones, the four reverb settings add some serious ambience. You can use the USB output for connecting to an iPad® or computer for recording or sequencing.
The keyboard features a built-in metronome, so you can work on your time as well as your technique. You can split the keyboard between two instruments, so you can play organ with your left hand and piano with your right, for instance. Hate playing in certain keys? You can transpose keys so you're always in your comfort zone.
- 88-key digital piano
- Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) weighted action
- 10 voices, including piano, organ, harpsichord, and vibraphone
- built-in stereo amp (6 watts x 2), two 4-1/2" speakers
- includes foot switch, AC adapter, and music rest
- MIDI output to computer or iOS device (via USB)
- 4 reverb settings
- 64-voice polyphony
- built-in metronome
- keyboard splitting for assigning a different sound to left and right hand
- voice layering allows you to play 2 sounds together
- outputs: USB out, headphone jack
- dimensions: 52-3/16" x 11-5/8" x 6-1/16"
- weight: 25 pounds
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # P45B
What's in the box:
- Digital piano
- AC power adapter
- Music rest
- Owner's Manual
Yamaha P45B reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Yamaha P45B
Graded Hammer Standard: Yamaha's GHS (Graded Hammer Standard) weighted action has heavier touch in the low end and lighter touch in the high end, just like the hammers inside an acoustic piano. Great for the aspiring pianist, practicing on the GHS action builds the proper finger technique for when the time comes to perform on an acoustic piano. Plus, the matte finish of the black keys are less slippery when playing for extended periods of time.
AWM (Advanced Wave Memory): AWM (Advanced Wave Memory) sampling uses digital technology to record the sound of an acoustic piano. AWM Stereo Sampling creates a deeper, richer and more spacious sound by using pairs of waveforms (L and R) captured with two microphones. The P-45 uses AWM to play one sample per key at varying levels of volume and timbre.
Selectable Voices: The Yamaha P-45 has a wide variety of Voices, or instrument sounds, for your enjoyment, including Piano and Organ. You can even play two (dual) Voices simultaneously across the entire range of the keyboard. Choose from the following -
- Piano: Grand Piano 1, Grand Piano 2, E. Piano 1, E. Piano 2
- Organ: Pipe Organ 1, Pipe Organ 2
- Other: Vibraphone, Strings, Harpsi-Cord 1, Harpsi-Cord 2
Playing Duo: This function allows two different players to play the instrument, one on the left and the other on the right, over the same octave range.
Reverb Types: This instrument features several Reverb Types that add extra depth and expression to the sound to create a realistic acoustic ambience. Although the appropriate Reverb Type is called up automatically when you select each of the Voices, you can change the Reverb Type as desired. Choose from Room, Hall 1, Hall 2, Stage, or Off. You can also adjust the depth (0-10) of the reverb.
Pitch Control: You can shift the pitch of the entire keyboard up or down in semitone in order to facilitate playing in difficult key signatures, or to easily match the pitch of the keyboard to the range of a singer or other instruments. Selectable from -6 to +6. You can fine tune the pitch of the entire instrument in approximately 0.2 Hz increments. This lets you match the keyboard pitch finely to that of other instruments or CD music. Selectable from 414.8 to 466.8Hz.
Demo & Preset Songs: Demo Songs are provided for each of the Voices such as Piano and Organ. In addition to the Demo Songs, Preset Songs are provided for your listening pleasure.
Metronome/Temp: The Metronome feature is convenient for practicing with an accurate tempo.
Built-In Speakers: Speakers are built into the digital piano at the bottom. Though you can enjoy playing the instrument even when putting it on a desk or table, we recommend that you use an optional keyboard stand for better sound.
USB-B Out: By connecting a computer to the P-45's USB-B port, you can transfer data between the digital piano and the computer via MIDI.
1/4" Headphone Jack: Any pair of stereo headphones with a 1/4" stereo phone plug can be plugged in here for convenient monitoring. The speakers are automatically shut off when a plug is inserted into this jack.
Apple iOS Apps: By connecting Yamaha P-45 to an Apple iOS device, such as an iPhone or iPad, you can use apps on that device together with the digital piano for a variety of musical purposes, take advantage of various convenient functions, and get more enjoyment out of digital piano. Your compatible iOS device can be connected to the Yamaha P-45 via a wired connection; requires Apple's Camera Connection Kit or Yamaha's i-UX1 Wired MIDI interface Cable (both sold separately).
- Sound Controller (iOS 8.1 or later): Sound Controller adds fun controllers like pitch bend, modulation, X/Y pad and even a MIDI arpeggiator to connected digital piano.
- My Music Recorder (iOS 8.1 or later): My Music Recorder is a recording application which allows parent to record their children's music performances and post their children's music performance to YouTube or send it with e-mail. You can give your child a stamp in reward for the music performance; the more you use My Music Recorder application, the more stamps you get.
- Visual Performer (iOS 8.1 or later): Visual Performer is an app for iPad/iPhone/iPod touch that creates graphic animation by playing the digital piano. There are 10 types of graphic animations plus projected images from your iOS device's camera. You can even create your original animation by combining with two patterns or even by using the camera.
- Metronome (iOS 6.1 or later): No matter what your level of musical ability you will find Yamaha's Metronome is easy to use, whilst offering advanced features like MIDI compatibility. Metronome offers incredible timing thanks to a sample accurate engine.
- Note Star (iOS 5.1.1 or later): Experience playing and singing your favorite songs with a real band. NoteStar is Yamaha's digital sheet music application for the iPad that features hands-free, smooth-flowing, easy-to-read digital sheet music accompanied by realistic audio backing tracks with vocals.
Note: Currently the P-45 does not support Android applications.
Music Rest: A handy music rest is included.
Footswitch w/ Damper Resonance: Damper Resonance digitally reproduces the sympathetic vibration between strings on acoustic pianos. Just like an acoustic piano, when the damper pedal is used in a performance, other strings add sonic color to the notes you play until the pedal is released. The Damper Resonance feature can be activated from the included footswitch.
AC Power Adapter w/ Auto Power Off: The P-45 includes an AC power adapter (it is not battery powered). Auto power off shuts down the instrument after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Number of Keys: 88
Dimensions: 52.187" (w) x 6.0625" (h) x 11.625" (d)
Weight: 25 lbs. 6 oz.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?