About the KRK 12s2
Add deep, detailed bass to your mix
Add deep, detailed bass to your mix
KRK's 12s2 powered studio subwoofer reveals the bass in your mixes with detail and accuracy. It delivers impressive low-end punch that's calibrated to complement KRK's VXT and ROKIT series monitors. The 12s2 replaces KRK's original 12s subwoofer, plumbing new bass depths with an impressive 26-130 Hz frequency response that you can hear and feel when you're working hard in the studio.
Like any KRK monitor, the 12s2 will look great in your studio, and it's loaded with useful features that any pro can appreciate. Adjustable low-pass frequency, phase, and input sensitivity controls allow precise blending with your main monitors so you get accurate in-room sound. A ground lift switch helps eliminate noise from AC lines and other sources. Balanced and unbalanced signal connections ensure compatibility with your existing equipment.
Bass bypass at arm's (or foot's) reach
Sometimes you need to drop the bass out temporarily so you can tweak the rest of the mix. KRK offers an easy-to-use footswitch bypass control so you can mute the sub and bypass its internal 80 Hz high-pass filter to send full-range audio to your monitors. (Compatible with a standard latching 1/4" footswitch, not included.)
- bass reflex (ported) enclosure with front-firing, slotted-port design to reduce wall coupling and port turbulence
- built-in 220-watt RMS Class D amplifier
- 12" high-excursion woven Kevlar woofer for dynamic low-frequency punch
- frequency response: 26-130 Hz (±1.5dB)
- designed to complement 6"-10" studio monitor speakers
- volume control adjustable from -30dB to +6dB
- left and right balanced XLR inputs and outputs
- left and right balanced 1/4" TRS inputs and outputs
- left and right unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs
- bypass feature defeats the sub and its internal 80 Hz high-pass filter to send full-range sound to your monitors (requires use of optional footswitch)
- normal/reverse phase switch
- limiter switch provides overdrive protection
- ground lift switch reduces ground loop hum
- 15-15/16"W x 18-1/8"H x 22-5/8"D
- weight: 66.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 12S2-NA
What's in the box:
- Powered studio monitor sub
- AC power cord
- User Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the KRK 12s2
KRK Series Powered Studio Monitor Sub: The 12" woven Kevlar high-excursion woofer and front-firing bass port ensure accurate and powerful low-end punch. The woven Kevlar woofer delivers tight, clear low end response, while the front-firing port is just the right shape to reduce port turbulence. A high-power 220W amplifier and active crossovers provide smooth and accurate reproduction. You'll appreciate the clean and accurate bass performance this approach delivers, even at high SPLs.
Applications: The KRK 12S2 powered subwoofer is the perfect complement to KRK ROKIT, VXT, or any other 6"-10" studio monitor (sold separately). The KRK 12S2 is designed to extend the low-frequency performance of an existing monitor system so that the low-frequency portion of the mix can be properly engineered.
Curved Cabinet w/ Steel Mesh Grille: The KRK 12S2 also features a great looking cabinet that echoes the curved edges of the KRK ROKIT and VXT studio monitors (sold separately). The cabinet is constructed 18mm reinforced MDF to prevent unwanted distortion caused by vibration. A sturdy steel mesh grille protects the woofer and adds to the sleek appearance of the unit. The subwoofer grille can be removed and the grille's rubber gasket can be reinserted to show off your KRK 12S2 woofer.
Controls: The KRK 12S2 powered sub offers rear-panel Volume, Low-Pass Filter, Phase, and Ground Lift.
- Volume: The input sensitivity is adjusted with the rear-panel mounted Volume control. Adjustment range is from -30dB to +6dB. Factory preset gain is +6dB. You may need to adjust this to match the level of your monitors.
- LPF/HPF: With a variable 50Hz-80Hz low pass filter, the KRK 12S2 provides flexible control for any monitoring system. The KRK 12S2 sounds best using KRK full-range monitors (sold separately) in a system configuration. However, the low pass filter provides great flexibility with any full-range monitor setup. The KRK 12S2 outputs have a fixed 80Hz high pass filter that removes low frequencies and passes only the mid and high frequencies to your studio monitors.
- Phase: The Phase switch is a polarity inversion mechanism whose position affects the phase relation of the subwoofer output to the other speakers in your room. The proper switch position of 0 or 180 degrees depends on a number of variables. These variables include, the distance of the subwoofer from the listening position and monitors, as well as the system's absolute polarity and the bass response of the room.
- Ground Lift: A ground lift feature helps tame pesky ground hum. Engaging the ground lift switch can sometimes reduce ground loop noise in your system.
Balanced & Unbalanced Inputs/Outputs: You'll find plenty of input/output options with the KRK 12S2, sure to accommodate any studio environment. The KRK 12S2 is equipped with stereo XLR, 1/4", and RCA inputs. The XLR and TRS are +4 dBu balanced inputs, whereas the RCA inputs are -10 dBu unbalanced. The KRK 12S2 is also equipped with stereo XLR (balanced), TRS (balanced), and RCA (unbalanced) outputs.
- Powered Monitor Hookup: If you are using active (powered) monitors, you'll first need to connect a pair of cables from the stereo monitor outputs of your console or audio hardware device to the Left and Right XLR, 1/4", or RCA input jacks on the subwoofer. Next, simply use XLR or RCA cables to connect the outputs of the subwoofer to the inputs of your monitors.
- Passive Monitor Hookup: If you are using passive (non-powered) monitors that require an external amplifier, you'll first need to connect a pair of cables from the stereo monitor outputs of your console or audio hardware device to the left and right XLR, 1/4", or RCA input jacks on the subwoofer. Next, connect the outputs of the subwoofer to the corresponding inputs of the stereo amplifier.
1/4" Footswitch (optional): Professional engineers like the ability to hear how the sub is affecting the mix. The KRK subwoofer is equipped with a bypass feature and 1/4" footswitch which allows you to defeat the sub and provide full range audio to your recording monitors. Plug in any standard latching 1/4" footswitch (sold separately) to bypass the KRK 12S2 and send full range audio to your top monitors.
Limiter: The KRK 12S2 features a limiter circuit which provides improved protection. The limiter is designed to mitigate the negative effects of over driving the powered sub.
Protection Circuitry: The KRK 12S2 features Thermal, Overload, and Clip protection circuitry to prevent damage.
Placement: Just because bass frequencies are largely non-directional, does not mean that you can ignore the subwoofer's placement in the room. If fact, a sub's physical position in the room in relation to the floor, walls and other surfaces radically influences its bass response. In a monitoring situation, it is desirable to place the subwoofer so that it produces the smoothest frequency response at the listening position. In addition, since the subwoofer's output will interact with the other monitor speakers in the room, it is important to consider the subwoofer and near-field speakers as a total system.
The KRK 12s2 replaces these items