About the Tascam CD-400U
What can't this player do?
What can't this player do?
We love a piece of gear that does multiple things well. The Tascam CD-400U offers pristine playback of all types of CDs, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's also a slot for an SD/SDHC card, and a USB port for plugging in a music-laden flash drive.
But wait, there's more: you can plug in a mobile device via the front 3.5mm jack, or stream wirelessly via Bluetooth. Love your local radio stations? There's even an AM/FM tuner.
You're in complete control of this versatile machine: the buttons and knobs on the front panel offer maximum tweaky control over each of the CD-400U's many functions. There's a dedicated wireless remote control included, so you can do it all from the comfort of your favorite chair, too. A 9-pin female RS-232C port lets you integrate this player with PC-based control systems.
On the back panel, you'll find an unbalanced stereo RCA output alongside a balanced stereo XLR pair for making low-noise connections to your other studio gear. There's another stereo RCA dedicated to the tuner's output, and connections for the included AM/FM antennas.
- signal-to-noise ratio: greater than 90 dB
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- direct track searching using number keys or included remote control
- power-on-play function automatically starts playback when the unit is turned on
- panel lock function disables front panel buttons
- record to SD card and USB flash drives from the CD player or tuner
- wireless remote included
- rack mountable (1U rack space, hardware included)
- plays standard audio CDs, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 and WMA discs
- four playback modes: continuous, single, shuffle, and programmed
- repeat playback (single repeat, all repeat)
- incremental playback function enables instant cueing
- front-mounted SD/SDHC card slot and USB port for flash drives
- compatible with MP3, AAC, WAV and WMA files
- media must be formatted FAT16/32
- Bluetooth 4.2 receiver for wireless audio playback from compatible computers and portable audio devices
- supports aptX® codec technology for outstanding stereo sound quality
- built-in AM/FM tuner
- stereo RCA unbalanced analog line output
- stereo XLR balanced analog line output
- separate stereo RCA unbalanced analog line output for AM/FM tuner
- 9-pin female RS-232C port for connection to third-party control systems
- AM/FM antenna connectors (antennas included)
- 1/4" stereo headphone output with volume control (front)
- 3.5mm stereo auxiliary input (front)
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 19"W x 1-13/16"H x 11-7/8"D
- weight: 7.2 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CD-400U
What's in the box:
- CD Player
- 75" Power cord (IEC 3-pin)
- RC-CD400 Wireless remote control
- 2 AAA Batteries
- 57" FM wire antenna (F-type connector on one end
- ring-terminal on other end)
- AM Loop antenna w/attached 55" wire (bare-ended)
- Four 12 mm Phillips-head screws w/flat-washers
- Owner's manual
- Specification correction sheet
Tascam CD-400U reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Tascam CD-400U
Overview: The Tascam CD-400U is a versatile professional media player in a compact low-profile design that's the perfect option for educational institutions, music venues, retail stores, restaurants, and more. It features playback of CDs, Bluetooth audio streaming, SD/SDHC, USB, AM/FM from its built-in tuner, and has an 1/8" stereo Auxiliary input on the front panel for playback from portable devices. It can also record the CD or Tuner source to an SD/SDHC card or to a USB media storage device. Other key features include a panel lock option, which disables the front panel controls, automatic playback on power up, and a front panel headphone output for silent monitoring.
CD: The CD-400U's CD drive, accessed from the front panel, can playback commercially available CDs as well as CD-R and CD-RW disks, recorded in the audio CD format. It can also play MP3 and WMA files, recorded using ISO 9660 (Level 1, level 2, or Joliet), on CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-ROM disks. The front panel controls feature standard disk playback functions such as Play, Stop, Pause, FFWD, REW, and includes a Multi Jog wheel that doubles as the Track Skip and Previous Track functions. The range of tracks that can be selected for playback is called the Playback Area. For Audio CDs, the Playback Area will be the whole disk. For media with MP3 or WMA files, all files can be played or just the files on the currently selected Folder. Tracks on disks can also be accessed by the front panel number buttons (1-10), underneath the disk slot, or from the included wireless remote control. The front panel number buttons double-up for accessing certain functions, such as Play Mode, Repeat, etc., when pressed in conjunction with the Shift button. When listening to MP3 or WMA files on a disk, Folders and Files within Folders are accessed using the Multi Jog wheel. A Skip Mode lets you specify tracks within a Folder that will be skipped over during playback. Playback modes for disks include the following:
- Continuous Playback Mode (default): Tracks in the Playback Area will be played back in track number order. When playing back from an SD card or USB drive, tracks in the currently playing folder will be played in numerical order.
- Single Playback Mode: The selected track will be played once, then stop.
- Random Playback Mode: All tracks in the Playback Area will be played in random order regardless of track number.
- Repeat: Lets tracks in the Playback Area playback repeatedly with
two modes available:
- Continuous Playback: Repeats playback of all tracks in the Playback Area.
- Single Playback: Repeats playback of the current track.
- A-B Repeat Playback: This function lets you repeat a specific area of an individual audio CD track. Pausing playback at the point where Repeat will start and pressing the A-B Rep button marks that as the beginning of the repeated area, while the next pause and press of the A-B Rep button marks the end of the repeated section.
SD/USB: The CD-400U includes front panel slots for both SD cards and USB flash drives. These can be used for both playback as well as to record, or Dub, from the built-in AM/FM tuner or CD drive. Playback controls for the SD and USB sources are the same as the previously mentioned CD functions. Compatible cards include: SD (512 MB - 2 GB), SDHC (4GB - 32GB), and USB flash drives (512MB - 64GB), all requiring FAT 16/32 formatting. Compatible file formats include:
- MP3: 44.1 / 48 kHz, 32 - 320 kbps and VBR (Variable Bit Rate) (MPEG 1/2 Audio Layer-3)
- WAV: 44.1 / 48 kHz, 16 bit
- WMA: 44.1 / 48 kHz, 32 - 320 kbps and VBR (WMA ver.9 standard, DRM not supported)
- AAC: 44.1 / 48 kHz, 8 - 320 kbps and VBR (MPEG4 AAC-LC (audio stream))
Power-On-Play: The CD-400U includes a Power-On-Play feature that lets you select a source (CD, USB, or SD) and program a select track to start playing when the unit is powered on again. When used with a commercially available timer (sold separately), the unit can be set to power on and start playing at a specified time.
Resume: This function, when activated, lets the unit resume playback from the point it was last stopped (CD, USB, SD).
Time and Text Information: Repeatedly pressing the Display button on the front panel, or the Display/RDS/Info button on the remote control, will cycle through the types of information that can be displayed on the front panel 2 line LCD, depending on the source:
- CDs: Track elapsed time, Track remaining time, Total tack elapsed time, and Total track time remaining
- Data CDs, SD, USB: Track elapsed time, File name of current track, Title of current track, Artist name, Album name, and Folder name.
Dubbing: Audio CDs and AM/FM broadcasts can be dubbed (copied) to either the USB or SD card slot. Pressing the DUB button on the front panel lets you use the Multi Jog dial to choose the playback and destination sources. The audio output can be muted during dubbing, if desired, and all other front panel and remote control functions become disabled while dubbing. The following file formats can be used for dubbing:
- Dubbing from audio CDs: MP3 files (96/128/162/320 kbps)
- Dubbing from AM/FM radio: MP3 files (96/128 kbps)
|File Format (set when dubbing)||SD/SDHC card or USB flash drive capacity|
|MP3 (Stereo)||96 kbps||44.1 kHz||Approx. 92 Hrs.||Approx. 185 Hrs.||Approx. 370 Hrs.||Approx. 740 Hrs.||Approx. 1481 Hrs.|
|128 kbps||44.1 kHz||Approx. 69 Hrs.||Approx. 138 Hrs.||Approx. 277 Hrs.||Approx. 555 Hrs.||Approx. 1111 Hrs.|
|192 kbps||44.1 kHz||Approx. 46 Hrs.||Approx. 92 Hrs.||Approx. 185 Hrs.||Approx. 370 Hrs.||Approx. 740 Hrs.|
|320 kbps||44.1 kHz||Approx. 27 Hrs||Approx. 55 Hrs.||Approx. 111 Hrs.||Approx. 222 Hrs.||Approx. 444 Hrs.|
Bluetooth: The CD-400U includes built-in Bluetooth technology (V4.2) for streaming audio from a Bluetooth enabled playback device. It supports A2DP (SBC, AAC, and Qualcomm aptX) and AVRCP (1.0). After pairing a Bluetooth playback device to the player, it can be selected as a source for playback. If the device supports AVRCP, the following front panel and remote controls can be used: Play, Stop, Pause, Multi Jog track select, FFWD and REW.
AM/FM Tuner: Tuning in AM and FM stations can be done on the front panel by turning the Multi Jog dial forward or backwards, changing the frequency in one step increments. Pressing either of the front panel Fast double-arrow keys (left or right), or double arrows on the remote, will allow the unit to automatically search for the next available station. Both AM and FM stations can be saved as presets with 20 memory slots available for each. Presets can be set manually or automatically, where the unit will scan and store the first 20 stations it finds. FM reception can be set for either Mono or Stereo.
Auxiliary Input: A front panel 1/8" auxiliary jack is provided for playback from a portable audio device such as a smartphone, tablet, or MP3 player.
Headphones: The unit's front panel also includes a 1/4" headphone output with its own volume control.
RS-232C: The CD-400U includes a 9-pin, D-sub RS-232C port for serial control from a computer or external controlling device. A complete RS-232C command protocol list can be downloaded from the TEAC Global web site.
Rear Panel: The player's rear panel includes the following ports:
- FM Antenna: Provides connection for the provided FM wire antenna with F-type connector.
- AM Antenna: Two spring-clip terminals are used with the provided AM loop antenna.
- Tuner Out: A pair of unbalanced RCA jacks are provided for AM/FM Tuner signal output.
- Analog Out (Balanced): Two balanced female XLR jacks provide audio output for the CD, SD, USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources. Default nominal output level is -10 dBV, but can be lowered in 1 dB increments to -28 dBV.
- Analog Out (Unbalanced): A pair of unbalanced RCA jacks outputs the same signal as the balanced outputs.
- RS-232C: A 9-pin D-sub RS-232C connector is provided for control from a computer or other controller.
- AC Power In: Female 3-pin IEC connector for power.
- Balanced Analog Outputs:
- Connectors: Two 3-pin female XLR jacks
- Rated Output Level: +4 dBu (1.23 Vrms, with analog output level setting OFF)
- Maximum Output Level (switchable): +20 dBu (7.75 Vrms, with analog output level setting OFF)
- Output Impedance: 100 Ω
- Unbalanced Analog Outputs:
- Connectors: RCA (pair)
- Rated Output Level: -10 dBV (0.316 Vrms, with analog output level setting OFF)
- Maximum Output Level (switchable): +6 dBV (2.0 Vrms, with analog output level setting OFF)
- Output Impedance: 200 Ω
- Tuner Outputs (Unbalanced):
- Connectors: RCA (pair)
- Rated Output Level: -10 dBV (0.316 Vrms)
- Maximum Output Level: +6 dBV (2.0 Vrms)
- Output Impedance: 200 Ω
- Aux Input:
- Connector: 1/8" Stereo mini jack
- Nominal Input Level: -20 dBV (0.1 Vrms)
- Maximum Input Level: -4 dBV (0.63 Vrms)
- Input Impedance: 10 kΩ or higher
- Headphone Jack:
- Connector: 1/4" Stereo jack
- Maximum Output: 20 mW (x2) or higher (THD+N 0.1% or less into a 32 Ω load)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 1.0 dB (CD, SD, USB playback at 44.1 / 48 kHz sampling frequency)
- Distortion: 0.005% or less (CD, SD, USB playback)
- S/N Ratio: 95 dB or higher (CD, SD, USB playback)
- Dynamic Range: 90 dB or higher (CD, SD, USB playback)
- Channel Separation: 90 dB or higher (CD, SD, USB playback)
- Version: 4.2
- Output Class: 2 (approx. 30 ft. transmission distance)
- Supported Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP 1.0
- Supported A2DP Codecs: SBC, AAC, aptX
- Supported A2DP Content Protection: SCMS-T
- Tuner Frequency Range:
- FM: 87.5 MHz to 108.0 MHz
- AM: 520 kHz to 1720 kHz
- Antenna Connectors:
- FM: F-type (female)
- AM: 2-pin spring clip
- Permitted Install Angle: 30˚ or less
- Power Requirements: AC 100 - 240 VAC, 50 / 60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 20 W
- Operating Temperature Range: 41˚ F to 95˚ F
- Dimensions: Width - 19.0", Height - 1.75", Depth - 14.0" (w/power cord)
- Weight: 7.3 lbs.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked