About the Tascam DR-40X
Four-track recording made easy
Four-track recording made easy
Tascam's compact, handheld DR-40X lets you capture professional-quality recordings, and its versatile features are well-suited to musicians, podcasters, and other types of content creators. It has two built-in microphones and a pair of XLR/TRS combo jacks for four-channel recording. The DR-40X can record in MP3 and high-resolution WAV formats - including BWF (Broadcast Wave Format), used in professional media production.
Customize your recordings
The DR-40X lets you record in either WAV or MP3. You can set the resolution for WAV recording up to 24-bit/96kHz, and MP3 resolution up to 48kHz/320kbps. The mics can be positioned A-B to record a wide soundfield, or X-Y to focus on a single point.
The mics can handle high volume levels, all the way up to 125 dB SPL. Record your band's rehearsal and capture it without distortion. And they're sensitive enough to record a whisper.
In dual record mode, the DR-40X captures your main stereo signal, plus a second simultaneous version at a lower input volume level. If things suddenly get too loud, the take isn't ruined. You can replace clipped audio with the safety copy.
The recorder's XLR/TRS combo jacks support mic-level and line-level input. You can connect the DR-40X to a mixer or an FOH (front-of-house) PA console. The mic preamps include phantom power for condenser microphones.
USB audio interface
Connect the DR-40X via a USB cable to your computer for live streaming or podcast recording. (Cable available separately.) It turns the recorder into a USB microphone that delivers finely detailed sound.
More great features
The recorder has three low cut filters, which are handy for eliminating low-frequency noises like the sound of wind or electric motors. A peak reduction function automatically adjusts levels to prevent clipping. The built-in screw hole lets you mount the recorder on a tripod. And there's a headphone jack, for monitoring.
Memory and battery life
The recorder has a microSD card slot. Use microSD memory cards to store up to 128GB of recordings. The recorder gets up to 17.5 hours of operation from three "AA" batteries (available separately).
- stereo or 4-track simultaneous recording
- high-performance directional stereo microphones built-in
- switchable between A-B (open) and X-Y (closed) positions
- two combination XLR/TRS inputs for microphones and line-level sources
- selectable +24V/+48V phantom power for use with condenser mics
- records in:
- MP3 up to 48kHz/320kbps
- WAV/BWF up to 24-bit/96kHz
- recording features:
- handles high sound pressure levels up to 125 dB
- 3 low cut filters
- adjustable playback speed
- peak reduction function to automatically set optimal recording levels
- microSD card slot for expandable storage (memory card not included)
- LCD display
- built-in mono speaker
- USB micro-B port for data transfer and power (cable not included)
- 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output
- up to 17.5 hours of operation with 3 "AA" batteries (available separately)
- 2-11/16"W x 6-1/4"H x 1-1/16"D (with mics in closed position)
- weight: 9.9 oz. (with batteries)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DR-40X
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Tascam DR-40X