About the Tascam CD-RW901MKII
A professional recorder for demanding applications
A professional recorder for demanding applications
Get the all the connections and performance you need for your studio with Tascam's CD-RW901MKII professional CD recorder. This versatile recorder starts with the features offered on Tascam's CD-R900MKII CD recorder, including the new TEAC-designed tray-loading transport, then adds more capabilities designed for advanced professional recording.
You get ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) writing during mastering, with a display that can check the data on a master disc after recording, as well as display the RID (Recorder Identification Code). The Overlap Recording Function allows you to connect two or more '901MKIIs together for making continuous, extended-length recordings without missing a beat. And this recorder offers a super-convenient index search function that lets you search for index markers within a track that were assigned during recording.
It's good to have (pro) connections
Along with its advanced features, the CD-R901MKII provides a wide range of professional connections. You get balanced analog XLR audio inputs and outputs for long, low-noise signal runs to compatible pro audio gear. Balanced digital XLR ins and outs are also provided for high-quality connections with digital mixers or processors. The recorder's RS-232C and 15-pin parallel ports provide control capability with various outboard master controllers.
For monitoring or private listening, the CD-RW901MKII includes a headphone jack on the front panel with a volume control. And the included wired remote has number keys for quick access to a specific track.
- supported recordable disc types: CD-R, CD-R-DA, CD-RW, and CD-RW-DA (high speed CD-RW is supported)
- playback disc formats: CD-DA, CD-ROM ISO9660 LEVEL 1/2 Joliet format, multisession discs and CD-text
- recording file formats: CD-DA (44.1kHz/16-bit stereo)
- playback file formats: CD-DA (44.1kHz/16-bit stereo), MP3 (44.1kHz, 64 to 320kbps, VBR)
- all new TEAC-designed tray-loading transport for reliable operation
- high-performance AKM AK4528VM processor for AD/DA conversion for clean, clear sound
- independent left- and right-channel analog input trim controls
- digital input trim control for optimal recording levels from a digital source
- sync trim function (+/-125 frame, +/-1.67 seconds)
- automatic track division with trim function (+/-125 frame, +/-1.67 seconds)
- ISRC/RID code display function
- selectable COPY ID (free/1 generation/prohibit/SCMS)
- EOM (end of message) function: EOM indicator will light-up before the end of track or disc (1 to 99 seconds)
- overlap recording function using two CD-RW901MKIIs to make extended continuous recordings
- 4-second RAM memory buffer prevents skipping during playback due to vibration
- fader start/stop control via parallel control connector
- ±16% pitch control playback function
- one pair balanced XLR analog line inputs/outputs
- one pair unbalanced RCA analog line inputs/outputs
- XLR digital audio input/output (AES/EBU)
- optical (Toslink) and coaxial S/PDIF digital audio inputs/outputs
- D-sub 9-pin RS-232C serial control connector
- D-sub 15-pin parallel control connector
- 1/4" stereo headphone output with volume control
- input for optional P/S2 keyboard (mini DIN 6 pin)
- wired remote control
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (±0.8 dB playback, ±1.0 dB record)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 90 dB recording, 95 dB playback
- dynamic range: 90 dB recording, 95 dB playback
- channel separation: 80 dB recording, 90 dB playback
- rack mountable (2U rack space)
- 19"W x 3-11/16"H x 13-3/4"D
- weight: 9.9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts (90 days disc drive), 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CD-RW901mkII
What's in the box:
- CD recorder
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Wired remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Rack ears (installed)
- 4 Screws
- 4 Washers
- Owner's Manual
Tascam CD-RW901MKII Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Tascam CD-RW901MKII
CD Recorder: The Teac CD-RW901MKII is a professional CD recorder with both balanced and unbalanced, analog and digital inputs/outputs for recording of your external audio sources. Whether used for PA/Sound Reinforcement playback, studio, mastering, or broadcast, the CD-RW901MKII offers reliable CD recording and playback.
Reliable CD Transport: The new Teac transport (CD-W5600S) was designed for audio use; not a re-packaged computer drive. The tray-loading design provides a stable platter to minimize errors while writing the disc. Improved firmware allows the transport to write track markers without a gap, for seamless continuous live recordings.
High-Quality AD/DA Conversion: An AKM AK4528VM is used for AD/DA conversion for clean, clear sound quality with a frequency response of 20Hz to 20kHz (+/-0.8dB).
Disc Compatibility: The following disc type can be played back by the Teac CD-RW901MKII.
- Commercial pre-recorded CDs recorded in CD-DA format (44.1kHz, 16-bit)
- CD-R and CD-RW disc that have been recorded in CD-DA format (44.1kHz, 16-bit) and finalized properly
- MP3 files (44.1kHz, 64-320kbps) recorded in ISO9660 level 1/level 2 format on CD-R and CD-RW disc, and properly finalized
Note: The CD-RW901MKII can recognize up to 255 folders and 999 files on a recorded MP3 CD-R/RW disc.
Shockproof Memory: A RAM buffer stores audio data in memory to ensure smooth playback, even if shock or vibration lasts for up to four seconds.
Balanced/Unbalanced Analog & Digital Connectivity: Balanced & Unbalanced analog, plus S/PDIF coaxial and optical connections are provided for connection flexibility. The CD-R901MKII features an unbalanced stereo analog RCA input and output, an unbalanced coaxial digital input and output, and an unbalanced optical (toslink) digital input and output. Balanced analog XLR inputs and outputs are provided for use with pro equipment or long signal runs. Balanced AES/EBU is also included for use with digital mixers, processors, and processing.
Independent Input Trim Controls: Both the left and right analog inputs have their own analog input gain controls. In addition, the digital input can be controlled for optimal recording levels from a digital source.
Headphone Jack: The CD-RW901MKII also includes a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for record monitoring and playback listening.
Playback Functions: Even if you don't need to record every day, the CD-RW901MKII makes an excellent CD player. Functions including auto-cue, auto-ready, pitch control, program, random/repeat, and more are provided.
- Auto Cue: Using the auto cue function, you can select a cue point where sound begins (not where a track begins) within a track.
- Auto Ready: This function allows the playing back a single track, and the automatic cuing of the next track ready for playback.
- Pitch Control: When playing back an audio CD, the pitch (or speed) of the playback can be varied (+/-16%).
- Program Play: This function enables playback of selected tracks in any desired order (up to 99 tracks).
- Random Play: In this mode, the unit will play back all the tracks on the disc in completely random order; regardless of track number.
- Repeat Play (A/B): In this mode, all the tracks on a disc are played continuously. If a specific portion between two points on the disc is specified, that portion can be played back repeatedly.
- Timer Playback: By using an external timer, you can set the CD-R901MKII to play the loaded disc automatically when the unit is turned on by the time.
Track Division Functions: The CD-RW901MKII offers a variety of track division functions to make recording simpler.
- Automatic Track Division: A track marker can be created based on the input level, adding a new track when the input falls below a specified level (from -24 to -72dB).
- Time Track Division: Time-based track creation can be set every 1-10 minutes. This method is preferred in some applications like conference recording, when there is no gap between segments like there is when recording music.
- Manual Track Division: A new track can be written manually by pressing the Record key while the unit is in record mode.
- Rec-Mute: The Rec-Mute function can insert silence between recorded tracks.
Overlap Recording: Continuous recording is supported when using two or more CD-RW901MKIIs connected through their parallel ports. An optional cable is available for two or three-machine recording setups. A selectable overlap of 30, 60, or 90 seconds can be switched on for the next recorder to find a better edit point.
Fade In/Fade Out: At the beginning and the end of a recording, fade-in and fade-out effects can be performed. The length of the fade-in/out can be set between 1-30 seconds.
Synchronized Recording: Synchronized recording basically mean that recording will being automatically when a signal is received, and will stop when a signal ends.
Titling: Titles can be give to recorded discs and tracks using the unit's Text Edit option.
ISRC/RID Code: The ISRC (International Standard recording Code) written during mastering can be displayed. The CD-RW901MKII can check the data on a master disk after mastering. It can also display the RID (Recorder Identification Code).
Wired Remote Control: The Teach CD-RW901MKII includes a wired remote for control of the CD recorder. The remote is powered by two "AAA" batteries (included).
External Control Via RS-232C: The RS-232C serial and 15-pin parallel terminals make it possible control the recorders from various master controllers. It can be used with a fader-start signal in a broadcasting station, or with a centralized control terminal in a public facility.
Mountable: Rack Mountable: The CD-RW901MKII comes out of the box with rack ears installed. The unit will fit into a 2U rack-mount space, however it is recommended to leave 1U of space above and 4" behind the unit for proper ventilation. If needed, the player's 4 rubber feet can be removed when rack-mounting. Four rack-mounting screws with rubber washers are included.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?