About the Zoom H3-VR Handy
Record realistic 360° sound
Record realistic 360° sound
The Zoom H3-VR lets you expand your audio recordings into a whole new dimension. This portable battery-operated recorder was designed specifically to work with your 360° camera, so you can capture precise directional sound to go with your 360° VR videos.
Captures and processes your 360° recordings
The H3-VR's built-in four-capsule Ambisonic microphone captures sound from all directions. Powerful onboard encoding processes "raw" (Ambisonic-A) recordings into finished VR-ready (Ambisonic-B) audio files that you can export directly — no need to use your computer. USB interface functions let you connect to a compatible Windows® or Mac® computer for post-processing, if you want to.
More than just VR
The H3-VR's additional recording modes include advanced binaural 3D stereo, which captures hyper-realistic spatial recordings that can enhance 2D productions with 3D audio. Or you can use standard stereo mode to make regular field recordings. Another cool plus: the recorder's onboard encoding can process Ambisonic recordings for 5.1 surround sound files that you export to your video editor.
The H3-VR records for up to 11 hours on 2 "AA" batteries, or you can use an AC adapter (sold separately) for continual recording. It included a threaded mounting bracket that attaches to the 1/4" socket on your VR camera or tripod. Zoom's iOS® mobile app lets you remotely control the camera, making it easier for the videographer to stay out of the 360° shot (requires BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter, not included).
- 4-capsule Ambisonic mic captures precise 360-degree VR audio recordings up to 24 bit/96 kHz
- onboard Ambisonics encoding and decoding let you capture and process audio for 360° applications without using your computer
- USB audio interface capability
- 4-in/2-out Ambisonics input mode
- 2-in/2-out stereo/binaural input mode
Additional capture modes:
- captures binaural 3D stereo WAV files for hyper- realistic spatial audio
- records standard stereo audio
- converts Ambisonics audio recordings into 5.1 surround sound for exporting to your video editor
- live streaming 360° audio
- 6-axis motion sensor automatically calibrates the recorder for proper spatial alignment with your videos, regardless of mounting position and angle
- dynamic, directionally responsive LCD screen displays right side up regardless of the angle of the recorder
- built-in transport controls
- precise internal clock minimizes audio/visual drift
- slate tone/sound marker lets you easily calibrate the H3-VR and camera audio levels
- built in audio limiter and low-cut filter
- remote control app lets you operate the recorder using your iOS® device to stay out of the 360° shot (requires BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter, sold separately)
- supports resolutions up to 24-bit/96kHz with Ambisonics and standard stereo recordings; up to 24-bit/48kHz with binaural stereo
- allows 360° post-production with a Windows® (7/8/8.1/10) or Mac® (OS X 10.11 thru 10.14) computer
- up to 11 hours of operation with included "AA" batteries
- compatible with AC adapter (sold separately)
- slot for micro SD cards (card not included)
- includes 1/4" threaded mounting bracket for attaching to your VR camera and tripod (not included)
Connections and dimensions:
- 3.5mm stereo headphone output
- 3.5mm stereo line output
- USB micro Type B port lets you connect to a computer for editing, storing, and playback of recorded audio
- 3-1/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 3-1/16"D (measured at the base end)
- weight: 4.23 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ZH3VR
What's in the box:
- VR Recorder with integrated 4 capsule microphone
- Foam windscreen
- Dual mounting bracket
- 2 AA batteries
- Quickstart guide
- Dual mount instructions
- "Included items" list
- Safety and precautions
- Warranty registration card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Zoom H3-VR Handy
Overview: The Zoom H3-VR virtual audio recorder features a built-in 4-capsule Ambisonic microphone for capturing and processing spatial audio for VR (Virtual Reality), AR (Augmented Reality), and mixed-reality content. The H3-VR can be used in conjunction with 360˚-video and is ideal for game developing, filmmaking, or music recording.
VR Audio: Recording VR audio normally requires a dedicated Ambisonic microphone, a separate recorder, and a computer for encoding the audio from raw Ambisonics A format to VR-ready Ambisonics B format. With the H3-VR, all encoding and decoding is done on board, saving time, money and work. Designed for flexible use, the H3-VR can be used for the following types of recordings:
- Ambisonics Audio for VR: The H3-VR's 4-capsule Ambisonic microphone can capture precise 360˚ VR audio recordings up to 96kHz/24bit. The onboard decoder allows you to export Ambisonics B format files without the need for a computer.
- Binaural 3D Stereo: The H3-VR can record stereo binaural WAV files up to 48kHz/24bit, providing hyper-realistic spatial recordings that can enhance 2D productions with 3D audio. Binaural Stereo is designed to be played back using headphones.
- Standard Stereo: Standard stereo recordings can be made for playing back audio on speakers rather than headphones.
- 5.1ch Surround for Video: Zoom Ambisonics Player software lets you easily convert Ambisonics audio into a 5.1ch surround file that is pre-aligned to the proper speakers, and can be exported to an audio or video editor for syncing with standard video.
- Live Streaming 360: The H3-VR lets you stream audio 360˚, for live events or video conferencing.
6-Axis Motion Sensor: A built-in motion sensor, along with Auto Mic Position and Level Detection features, make placing the microphone simple. The H3-VR can be oriented upright, upside down, endfire, or endfire inverted, keeping your audio and video aligned for post production.
Recording Modes: Five recording modes are available:
- FuMa: Records in Ambisonics B FuMa format (4-channel).
- AmbiX: Records in Ambisonics B AmbiX format (4-channel).
- Ambisonics A: Records in Ambisonics A format (4-channel).
- Compatible Formats (for all 3 modes): 44.1kHz/16-bit, 44.1kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/16-bit, 48kHz/24-bit, 96kHz/16-bit, and 96kHz/24-bit.
- Stereo: Records in standard stereo mode (2-channel WAV).
- Compatible Formats: 44.1kHz/16-bit, 44.1kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/16-bit, 48kHz/24-bit, 96kHz/16-bit, 96kHz/24-bit.
- Binaural: Records in a stereo (2-channel) mode that's been
converted to binaural.
- Compatible Formats: 44.1kHz/16-bit, 44.1kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/16-bit, 48kHz/24-bit.
Internal Clock: The H3-VR features a highly accurate internal clock with 0.5 ppm discrepancy, minimizing audio/visual drift.
360˚ Post-Production: Audio recordings done with the H3-VR can be transferred to a computer for playback, trim, re-orienting, and exporting using the Zoom Ambisonics Player software available here. Compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1/ and 10, as well as Mac OS X 10.11 thru 10.14.
Transport Controls: The Home, Play/Pause, Forward, Reverse, and Menu buttons are all positioned for quick access.
Power/Hold: The Power button can also be switched to Hold, locking all settings and controls while recording.
Dynamic Display: The H3-VR features a directionally responsive LCD screen that can provide a bright, clear display, even when mounted upside down.
Input Levels: The H3-VR includes a single Mic Gain adjustment dial that affects the levels of all 4 mic capsules simultaneously for accurate, balanced, 360˚audio. Each mic includes its own individual level meter and clip indicator on the LCD display.
Line Out: A dedicated 3.5mm Line Out jack is provided for connecting to a wide range of 360˚ cameras or other external devices.
Output Volume: A Line-Out volume control lets you adjust the output level when running to headphones or a monitoring system.
- Slate Tone: A slate tone, or test tone, can be also be played from the Line Out for proper level calibration when running to a DSLR camera or other device.
- Sound Marker: The Sound Marker feature can output a tone when recording starts, making audio and video syncing much easier.
Headphone Output: A 3.5mm headphone jack allows for stereo binaural monitoring while recording.
Low-Frequency Cutoff: A low-pass filter can be applied to the audio input when recording. This can help reduce low frequency "rumble" caused by wind, HVAC systems, and the vocal proximity effect. The cutoff frequency can be adjusted from 10Hz-240Hz or off.
Limiter: The H3-VR includes a built-in limiter to prevent clipping and distortion during peak dynamic recordings, with a compression ratio of 20:1. Adjustments include: On/Off, Threshold (-16dBFS to -2dBFS), Attack Time (1-4 ms), and Release Time (1-500 ms).
Power Options: The H3-VR can be powered with 2 AA batteries (included), providing up to 11 hours of recording time. The microphone can also be powered by an optional USB battery or plugged in via an AC adapter (both sold separately).
USB: A micro-B USB port lets you connect the microphone to a computer for editing, storing, and playback of recorded audio (Mac and PC supported). The USB port can also be used for powering the mic.
MicroSD: A microSD card slot inside the battery compartment is provided for storing and transferring audio files (microSD card not included). MicroSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC cards up to 512GB are supported (Class 4 or higher).
Note: A Class 4 or higher microSD card is required for recording and is NOT included with the H3-VR.
Remote Control: The H3-VR can be operated remotely from an iOS device using the H8 Control App, available from the Apple App Store, along with the optional BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter (sold separately). The BTA-1 plugs into a port on the bottom of the microphone, allowing you to pair and connect a compatible iOS device. The H8 Control App gives you the same transport controls as on the mic, while allowing you to remain out of camera view when recording 360˚ video.
Mounting: The base of the H3-VR includes a threaded 1/4" socket for attaching it to the included dual mounting bracket and/or to an optional tripod or stand (sold separately).
- Ambisonic Microphone: Four matched unidirectional condenser capsules
- Maximum SPL: 120dB SPL
- Mic Gain: +18dB to +48dB
- Motion Sensor: 6 Axes (3-axis gyro, 3-axis acceleration)
- Display: 1.25" Monochrome LCD (96 x 64)
- Recording Media: MicroSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (class 4 or higher)
- Recording Formats:
- Ambisonics A, Ambisonics B (FuMa/AmbiX): WAV 4ch poly (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96 kHz/16-bit, 96 kHz/24-bit
- Stereo: WAV stereo (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96 kHz/16-bit, 96 kHz/24-bit
- Binaural: WAV stereo (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit
- Line Out:
- Connector: 3.5mm stereo
- Maximum Output Level: -10dBu (1kHz, 10kΩ load)
- Headphone Out:
- Connector: 3.5mm stereo
- Maximum Output Level: 20mW + 20mW (32Ω load)
- Connector: MicroUSB
- Mass Storage Operation: USB 2.0 High speed
- Audio Interface Operation:
- 2 in/2 out (stereo/binaural input): USB 2.0 Full Speed, 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit
- 4 in/2 out ( Ambisonics A/FuMa/AmbiX input): USB 2.0 High Speed, 44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit
- Power: Two AA batteries (alkaline, rechargeable NiMH or Lithium), optional AC and DC adapters
- Estimated Recording Time (FuMa, 48kHz/24-bit):
- Alkaline Batteries: Approx. 11.5 hrs.
- NiMH Batteries (1900 mAh): Approx. 11.5 hrs.
- Lithium Batteries: Approx. 24 hrs.
- Dimensions: Diameter - 3.06" (base)/ 1.88" (mic), Height - 4.87"
- Weight: 4.23 oz.