About the Zoom Q2n-4K Handy
A 4K video recorder with high-res audio
A 4K video recorder with high-res audio
These days, you don't have to wait to be discovered — you can share your talent with a wider audience immediately. The Zoom Q2n-4K is an ingenious portable 4K camera with built-in X/Y microphones that's ideal for recording performance video that looks and sounds fantastic. And it has a few smart modes that help keep light exposure and sound quality on point while you're busy putting on a show.
You can start sharing on social media right away. A USB output lets you connect to a computer or iOS® device, and from there it's a quick step to go live via Skype or a similar live-streaming service. If you prefer to start smaller, use the HDMI output to connect to a TV and screen your video for friends and family first.
The built-in mics are great for live recording, but you'll also find a stereo 3.5mm input for connecting an external microphone: convenient if you want to record an interview with a lapel mic like the Shure MVL, or capture far-away sounds with a compatible shotgun mic.
Monitor as you go
The Q2N4K features a headphone jack, so you or your camera operator can listen in during your performance. There's also a 1.77" screen so you can make sure your shot is framed the way you like.
- compact, portable 4K video camera
- 1/2.3" 16-megapixel CMOS sensor
- f/2.8 wide-angle lens with 150° coverage
- built-in 120° X/Y microphones record up to 24-bit/48 kHz audio with camera on
- 24-bit/96 kHz with camera off
- top resolution only available for stand-alone audio recording with camera off
- distortion-free recording up to 120 dB SPL
- convenient one-touch recording button
- 1.77" color LCD screen for video monitoring
- records directly to optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards (speed class 10 or higher)
- included foam windscreen helps reduce low-frequency noise
- built-in speaker
- threaded insert for mounting on tripods and mic stands (mic stand adapter not included)
- powered by two AA batteries (included)
- records 4K video at up to 30 fps, HD video at up to 60 fps
- 12 video Scene modes for use in a wide range of recording environments
- high dynamic range (HDR) technology automatically adjusts exposure in varying lighting conditions
- 5 field of view (FOV) settings offer shots from wide-angle to close-up
- compatible with Skype®, OBS Open Broadcaster Software, and other live-streaming applications
- supports AAC and uncompressed WAV audio formats up to 24-bit/96kHz
- low-cut filter for the elimination of low-frequency noise and rumble
- 3.5mm stereo input for adding external microphone
- 3.5mm line-level/headphone stereo output with dedicated volume control
- micro-HDMI output for connection to HDTVs, selectable between NTSC and PAL (adapter not included)
- mini-USB for live streaming and data transfer to and from computer editing software
Dimensions and warranty:
- recorder (microphones closed): 2-3/4"W x 3-5/16"H x 2-5/16"D
- weight: 4.37 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Q2N-4K
What's in the box:
- Video recorder
- Lens hood
- Lens cap
- 2 AA Batteries
- Quickstart guide
- "Included Items" list
- Battery information
- Usage & safety precautions
- Optional accessories list
- Warranty registration card
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Zoom Q2n-4K Handy reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Zoom Q2n-4K Handy
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||---|
|Total Pixel Count||---|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Aspect Ratio||Not given|
|Built-in Video Light||---|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||---|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||---|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||---|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||---|
|Image Sensor Warranty||---|
Overview: The Zoom Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder is a high-definition video and high-resolution audio recorder, designed with musicians in mind, the Q2n-4K is ideal for capturing rehearsals, performances, and live streams. The Q4n can record video up to 4K Ultra HD, with hi-res audio up to 24-bit/96kHz in WAV format. The Handy Recorder also features a built-in X/Y microphone system with a protective mesh screen.
Video Recording: The Q2n-4K can record 4K high-definition and standard-definition video in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV) format in several different settings:
|Recording Setting |
|4K/30 HD Video||30 fps||3840 x 2160|
|4K/24 HD Cinema||24 fps||3840 x 2160|
|1080/60 HD Smooth||60 fps||1920 x 1080|
|1080/30 HD Video||30 fps||1920 x 1080|
|1080/24 HD Cinema||24 fps||1920 x 1080|
|720/30 HD Video||30 fps||1280 x 720|
|Camera Off (audio recording only)||-||-|
Audio Recording: Audio can be recorded in uncompressed WAV format with the following options: 96kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/24-bit, and 44.1kHz/16-bit
MicroSD Card Slot: Video and audio are recorded onto microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards up to 256 GB. You should use SD cards with a Class 10 speed rating or higher, as well as format the card in the unit, for best results. A list of tested and confirmed SD cards is available on the Zoom website.
Lens/Image Sensor: The Q2n-4K features an F 2.8 lens, with a 150˚ field of view, and a 1/2.3" 16 M-flexible CMOS sensor for producing the high-definition video images. The Q2n-4K does not take still images.
Field of View (FOV): This setting allows you to narrow or widen the field of view while recording. Five options are available ranging from Tele, for the narrowest field of view, to Wide, for the widest field of view.
Scene: In the menu, you can change the Scene setting depending upon the lighting conditions:
- Auto: camera adjusts to lighting conditions automatically
- Concert Light: best setting for live shows, concerts, and other situations with bright lights
- Night: best setting for night and other dark situations
- Monochrome: recordings are processed to look black and white.
- Dance Club: for venues with dramatically-changing lighting, such as a dance club.
- Jazz Club: for small clubs or similar venues.
- Sepia: recordings are processed with a sepia tone.
- Film: recordings are processed to look like film.
- X-Process: a cross-processing effect is applied.
- Flat: this setting is suitable for color matching with other cameras in post-production.
- Sunset: for recording outdoor scenes with rich sunset colors.
- Outdoor: optimized for outdoor recordings.
X/Y Microphone Configuration: The Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder has two matched unidirectional microphones, configured in a fixed 120˚ X/Y stereo configuration, which can handle sound levels up to 120dB SPL. In the X/Y configuration, the mics are aimed in a crossing pattern. This captures sound from a nearby sound source with natural depth and width. The result is a 3-dimensional sound stage for solo performances, live rehearsals, and field recordings.
Auto Gain Settings: You can set the Audio Gain manually, or choose one of three levels for the automatic gain:
- Concert: for band performances, concerts, and other loud situations
- Solo: for solo performances, and other quiet sounds
- Meeting: for meetings and field recordings
- Off: allows for manually adjusting the recording level.
LCD Screen: The recorder features a 1.77" full-color LCD screen (160 x 128) for framing your subjects during recording, and to play back your videos.
Low-Frequency Noise Reduction: A low-pass filter can be applied to the audio input when recording. This can help reduce low frequency "rumble" caused by wind, HVAC systems, and the vocal proximity effect. Four options are available: 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz or Off.
Power Options: The Q2n-4K can be powered with 2 AA batteries (included), or can also be powered by the optional Zoom AD-17 AC adapter (sold separately). Note: USB bus power is not supported. Typical record times include:
|Video Resolution||Alkaline LR6 (1.5V)||Ni-MH HR6 (1.2V)||Lithium FR6 (1.5V)|
|4K/30 p||0.5 Hours||1.0 Hours||2.0 Hours|
|1080/30 p||1.2 Hours||2.0 Hours||4.0 Hours|
|720/30 p||2.0 Hours||3.0 Hours||6.0 Hours|
Inputs and Outputs: The rear panel contains connections for other devices:
- HDMI Output: A Micro HDMI (Type D) connection is provided for connecting the Q2n-4K to an HDTV.
- USB: A Micro-B USB 2.0 port is provided for connecting the unit to a computer to download recordings. Through this connection, the Q2n-4K can be used as a memory card reader, a USB microphone, or a web camera for live video streaming. You can also connect the Q2n-4K to an iPad when using an optional Apple Camera Connection kit.
- Microphone Input: You can connect an external microphone to the unit via a 3.5mm mini jack. When an external mic is connected, the built-in mics are disabled. In the menu, you can turn on Plug-In Power for those mics that require it.
- Headphone/Line Output: A 3.5mm stereo headphone/line output is provided for connecting headphones or other audio equipment for monitoring the audio.
Mounting: The Zoom Q2n-4K has a standard 1/4"-20 tripod thread on the bottom which allows you to attach the recorder to a standard tripod.