About the Zoom Podtrack™ P4
Go where the story takes you
The portable P4 can power 4 condenser mics and 4 sets of headphones with just 2 "AA" batteries.
Go where the story takes you
Does your podcast feature interviews or roundtable discussions? The Zoom Podtrak P4 makes it easy to set up just about anywhere and capture those conversations where they happen. The P4 has four XLR microphone inputs, plus four stereo minijack headphone outputs, so everyone can hear the conversation.
Plus you can handle remote interviews on a compatible smartphone using the recorder's TRRS cable connection, or a USB link from your computer's conferencing software. The P4 has a SD card slot for recording. And just two AA batteries power the device for up to four hours.
Each input has its own gain control and mute button, allowing you to capture clear sound from each connected mic. Each headphone output also has its own volume control. And the P4's built-in mix-minus feature automatically minimizes echo and feedback.
The P4 also has four customizable sound pads so you can cue jingles, sound effects and other pre-recorded audio. It comes with 11 sound presets, and you can upload your own sounds, too.
You can also use the P4 as a two-input, two-output audio interface to record directly to your computer or smartphone. With this setup, you can also live-stream using the P4.
- 4-track simultaneous recording
- records 16-bit/44.1kHz audio in WAV format
- 4 mic inputs with XLR connectors
- gain control for each input (up to 70dB)
- independently switchable phantom power for all XLR inputs
- each input can be recorded on a separate track
- individual mute buttons
- four 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone outputs with individual volume controls
- TRRS (tip/ring/ring/sleeve) minijack connection for compatible smartphones
- USB Type-C port for power connection and computer input
- built in "mix-minus" feature eliminates mic echo and feedback
- records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 512GB
- up to four hours operation with 2 "AA" batteries (included)
- 4 assignable sound pads with 11 preset sounds and separate volume control
- 4-7/16"W x 1-7/8"H x 6-1/8"D
- weight: 10 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ZP4
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel recorder/audio interface
- 2 AA Batteries
- 3 Quickstart guides (Eng/Span/Fren)
- Warranty & Registration card
- Safety Precautions
- Parts list
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Zoom Podtrack™ P4
Overview: The Zoom PodTrak P4 is a compact recorder/audio interface that lets you record and stream your podcasts, with professional quality, from just about anywhere. The P4 features four microphone inputs and four headphone outputs, for simultaneous recording and monitoring; Sound Pads that let you trigger sound effects which can be blended and recorded with the four mic inputs; direct streaming to your computer, as a 2-input, 2-output USB audio interface; and 44.1kHz/16-bit recording to SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards (sold separately). The Zoom P4 can provide up to 4 hours of operation powered on two AA batteries (included), or it can be powered using an optional USB power supply (sold separately).
Note: Recording to the Zoom P4 requires an SDHC or SDXC memory card and is sold separately.
Mic Inputs: The Zoom PodTrak P4 includes 4 XLR microphone inputs that can be used simultaneously. Inputs include the following features:
- Input Gain Controls: Four rotary dials let you control the input signal level for each of the microphone inputs, providing up to 70dB of gain.
- Phantom Power & Input Type: Four corresponding slide-switches for each input let you select +48V of phantom power, when using condenser microphones. Switches 3 and 4 include a third selection; Input 3 can use the 3.5mm TRRS input for smartphones, and Input 4 can select the USB input, for connection to a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Mute: Each of the 4 microphone inputs has a dedicated Mute button that will light when activated.
- Lo Cut & Limiter: A Lo Cut filter can be applied to the Mic Inputs to remove low frequencies, wind, and background rumble. A Limiter can also be activated, preventing any distortion from excessively high signals by automatically reducing the input signal. Both of these options can be selected individually for each Input in the configuration Menu.
Smartphone & USB Inputs:
- Smartphone: A 3.5mm TRRS jack on the side of the P4 lets you connect a smartphone using a TRRS cable (not included). This allows audio from the phone to be transferred into the P4 on Input 3, letting you interview guests remotely. A mono summed-signal will be sent from the P4 back to the device, letting remote guests hear the combined audio. An optional Zoom BTA-2 Bluetooth Receiver (sold separately) can be plugged into this input for a wireless Bluetooth connection to your smartphone.
- USB: A USB type-C input on the side of the P4 lets you connect a computer, tablet, or smartphone, providing 2-channels of audio input and output. This lets you live-stream your podcast, as well as record audio directly to your computer. MAC, PC, Android, and iOS devices are supported (iOS devices require an Apple Lighting to USB camera adapter - sold separately). A second type-C USB port is provided for powering the P4 only.
Mix Minus: Zoom's Mix Minus feature prevents audio that's coming in on the 3.5mm TRRS (smartphone) and USB jacks from being sent back to that device, avoiding any echo or feedback.
Headphone Outputs: The Zoom PodTrak P4 features four 3.5mm headphone outputs, each with a dedicated volume control for independent output levels.
Recording Overview: The PodTrak P4 lets you simultaneously record the four Input channels and the Sound Pad channel on individual audio tracks as sound files - mono for each Mic Input, and stereo for the Sound Pads and Master Channel. The separate stereo Master channel can be recorded simultaneously, combining the four Mic Inputs and the Sound Pad channel. All audio is recorded directly to an SDHC card (up to 32GB) or SDXC card (up to 512GB), in WAV format at 44.1kHz/16-bit resolution.
Sound Pads: Four Sound Pad push-buttons are provided for triggering pre-recorded audio clips that can be mixed in with the other 4 input signals. Typical applications include; playing opening or closing music, advertisement jingles, or playing previously-recorded dialog along with the podcast. Eleven preset sounds are available including: Applause, Cash Register, Horn Jazz, Funky, Laughter, Hard Riff, Piano, Rim-Shot, Sad Trombone, Dream, and Scratch. Audio saved on an SD card can also be assigned to the Sound Pads, supporting audio files in WAV format at 44.1kHz/16-bit resolution. Audio is first transferred to the SD card from your computer, then the SD card is placed in the P4 for assignment to the Sound Pads. A single Sound Pad Volume control lets you adjust the currently selected Sound Pad. Options for each of the Sound Pads includes:
- One Shot: Each press plays the file once from beginning to end. Designed for playing jingles or sound effects.
- Pause: Each press alternately plays or pauses the audio. Audio will stop at the end of the file. Pressing and holding the Sound Pad button when paused will return the audio file to the beginning. Designed for adding commentary during Sound Pad playback.
- Loop: Playback will loop until stopped. Pressing the Sound Pad button will alternately play or pause audio. This can be useful for playing background audio.
- Hold: While pressing the Sound Pad button, playback will loop until released. This is ideal for adding sound effects at will for a desired length of time.
Transport Controls & Display: The PodTrak P4 features front-panel record and playback transport controls that also double-up as the Menu navigation controls. These include Menu, Play/Pause (Arrow Up), Stop (Arrow Down), and Record (Enter). Corresponding LED indicators for Play and REC let you know at a glance what mode the P4 is in. A highly-legible back-lit LCD screen provides Level Meters for each of the four Mic Inputs and a fifth one for the Sound Pads. A stereo OUT meter displays the Master Channel level. Other Record/Playback screen features include:
- Status Icon: Will display either Stopped, Recording, or Paused icons when in Record mode.
- Time Display: Can display either the current recording/playback time or the remaining record/playback time.
- Battery Charge: A 3-segment Battery icon displays the remaining battery charge ranging from Full to Empty.
Media: All audio recorded on the PodTrak P4 must be stored on an SDHC or SDXC memory card (sold separately). This includes audio on both the four Mic Inputs as well as the Sound Pads. Compatible SD cards include:
- SDHC: 4GB - 32GB (Class 10 or higher)
- SDXC: 64GB - 512GB (Class 10 or higher)
Power: The Zoom PodTrak P4 can be powered from the included 2 AA batteries, or via a USB connection. A type-C USB port is provided on the side of the P4 for powering it from an optional USB/AC (5VDC/1A) power adapter (not included).