About the Zoom Q2N
A video camera made for musicians
Create internet-ready videos of your performances with the Zoom Q2N handheld video recorder.
A video camera made for musicians
If you're a working musician — or aspire to be one — the Zoom Q2N is a vital tool for recording and sharing your best performances.
For a device that does so much, the Q2N is surprisingly compact. The chassis is easy to grip one-handed, but it contains a sensitive XY microphone pair and records full HD video at 30 frames per second.
The camera lens takes in a 160-degree wide-angle view and can be mounted on a tripod or mic stand (not included), so you don't have to hire a cameraman to record your first hit video — just sit down, push the "record" button, and showcase your talent.
Hey, we get it — you're a musician, not a director. The Zoom Q2N gives you a leg up on compelling video by offering pre-set scene modes that can help you strike the right visual tone. Choose from options like Outdoor, Jazz Club, Garage, Concert Hall, Dance Club and more.
There's also an adjustable low cut filter and a handful of other options you can tweak to control how you sound. The interface on the back of the camera features large buttons and a bright 1.77-inch, full color LCD screen so you can monitor and control every nuance of the recording.
Handy connections and sharing options
The Q2N has a built-in mono speaker, but we're willing to bet you'll want to listen to your performance in full stereo. To that end, there's a 3.5mm jack so you can plug in a pair of headphones, and a micro HDMI port so you can share it on your compatible TV's screen, too. They've also included a stereo minijack input for external sources.
The camera is compatible with several popular live video streaming applications, and it records to an optional microSD memory card, so you can transfer files onto your computer for more editing and sharing options.
- compact HD video camera with built-in XY microphones for recording musical performances
- full-color 1.77" LCD touchscreen
- 1/3-inch 3-megapixel CMOS sensor
- f/2.0 fixed wide-angle lens with 160° coverage
- convenient one-touch recording button
- compatible with USTREAM Producer, Flash Live Media Encoder, Skype, and other popular streaming applications
- records directly to optional microSD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
- built-in mono speaker
- runs on 2 AA batteries (included)
- max. resolution: 1080p at 30 frames per second
- video format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)
- 11 video preset options for use in a wide range of lighting environments
- 1.5X digital zoom
- supports uncompressed WAV audio formats up to 24-bit/96kHz
- adjustable low cut filter (off, 80Hz, 120Hz, or 160Hz)
- 120° XY microphone pair built in
- 3.5mm stereo minijack input
- 3.5mm stereo minijack output lets you listen back through headphones
- micro-HDMI output for connection to a compatible TV
- mini-USB port for live streaming and data transfer to and from computer editing software (cable included)
- 2-1/2"W x 3-5/16"H x 1-13/16"D
- weight: 3.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ZQ2N
What's in the box:
- Audio/video recorder
- 2 "AA" alkaline batteries
- User's Guide
- Warranty registration information
- Included items sheet
- About recommended batteries
- Recommended microSD/SDHC/SDXC cards
- Disposal document
- Importers in EU countries and USA
More details on the Zoom Q2N
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||---|
|Total Pixel Count||---|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Aspect Ratio||Not given|
|Built-in Video Light||---|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||---|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||---|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||---|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||---|
|Image Sensor Warranty||---|
Overview: The Zoom Q2n Handy Video Recorder records High Definition video as well as High Resolution audio. This compact recorder is designed for musicians for filming live performances or rehearsals with high impact audio. The recorder is powered by 2 AA batteries (included), or an optional AC adapter (AD-17).
Recording Formats: The Q2n has a 1/3-inch, 3 MP CMOS image sensor that can record high-definition video in 1080p or 720p, at 30 fps or 24 fps. The video format is MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV). Audio is recorded in uncompressed WAV format at 96kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/24-bit, or 44.1kHz/16-bit. If desired, you can turn off the camera and just record audio.
microSD Card Slot: Video and audio are recorded onto microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards up to 128 GB. You should use microSD cards with a Class 10 speed rating or higher, as well as format the card in the unit, for best results. A list of tested and confirmed microSD cards is included with the recorder.
LCD Screen: The recorder has a 1.77" full color LCD screen for framing your subjects during recording, and to play back your videos. The screen's resolution is 160 x 128 pixels.
Lens: The Q2n's lens has a maximum aperture of F2.0 that makes it ideal for musicians that like to perform in a variety of lighting environments. The lens has a focal distance of about 16.6mm (35mm equivalent), and a super-wide 160° field of view. The focus range is from 14.2" to infinity.
Digital Zoom: In order to change the angle of view, you can apply Digital Zoom magnification to the image. There are five FOV settings to choose from, allowing you to capture the full band, or focus on a single performer. The digital zoom settings are: x0.75, x0.85, x1.00 (no zoom), x1.30, and x1.5.
Scene: In the menu, you can change the Scene setting depending upon the lighting conditions. There are 10 Scene options to choose from, plus an "Auto" setting:
- Auto: camera adjusts to lighting conditions automatically
- Outdoor: adjustments are optimized for outdoor shooting.
- Sunset: for recording outdoor scenes with rich sunset colors.
- Night: best setting for night and other dark situations
- Concert Lighting: best setting for live shows, concerts, and other situations with bright lights
- Concert-Low Lit: for use in small concert halls with dim lighting conditions
- Concert Hall: best setting for classical concerts, recitals, or other similar performances
- Jazz Club: for small clubs or similar venues
- Dance Club: for venues with dramatically-changing lighting, such as a dance club
- Rehearsal Studio: for recording in a studio setting.
- Garage: best setting for recording band performances in a garage.
X/Y Microphones: The Q2n Handy Video Recorder has two matched unidirectional microphones that are mounted in a 120° X/Y stereo configuration. X/Y microphones are aimed in a crossing pattern to capture sound with natural depth and width, resulting in a 3-dimensional sound stage. The microphones are capable of handling sound levels up to 120 dB SPL, and the input gain can be set between infinity and +39dB. You can engage a low-cut filter (80Hz, 120Hz, or 160Hz) to eliminate low-frequency noise, if needed.
Audio Level Settings: You can set the Audio Levels manually using the rotary Input Volume Control dial on the side of the recorder. The LCD screen will show left and right level meters, as well as peak indicators. If you wish to turn on Auto Gain, you can choose one of three presets:
- Concert: for band performances, concerts, and other loud situations
- Solo: for solo performances, and other lower volume situations
- Meeting: for meetings and field recordings
Power Requirements: The Q2n is powered by two "AA"-sized batteries, alkaline or Ni-MH rechargeables. Two "AA" alkaline batteries are included. Estimated battery life is about 2 hours (recording 720p/30fps video) using alkaline batteries, or 3 hours or more with Ni-MH batteries. You can monitor the remaining battery life on the LCD screen during recording or playback. You can also power the recorder via USB (Micro-B USB cable, not included), or with the optional Zoom AD-17 AC adapter (charging time: about 2 hours).
Power Save/Auto Power Off: To conserve battery power, the Q2n offers the Power Save and Auto Power Off modes. Power Save dims the LCD screen automatically after a preset amount of time, while Auto Power off turns off the power. The settings have no effect during recording (auto power only), playback, or when an AC adapter is connected. The time limit for Power Save and Auto Power Off can be independently set to 1, 3, or 5 minutes, and Off.
Inputs and Outputs: Both side panels feature connections for other devices:
- HDMI Output: A Micro HDMI (Type D) connection is provided for connecting the Q2n to an HDTV. In the menu, you can set the output format to NTSC or PAL.
- USB: A Micro-B USB 2.0 port is provided for connecting the unit to a computer to charge the battery and to download recordings. Through this connection, the Q2n can be used as a memory card reader, a USB microphone, or a web camera for live video streaming. You can also connect the Q2n to an iPad when using an optional Apple Camera Connection kit.
- Microphone Input: You can connect an external microphone to the unit via a 3.5mm mini jack. When an external mic is connected, the built-in mics are disabled. In the menu, you can turn on Plug-In Power for those mics that require it.
- Headphone/Line Output: A 3.5mm stereo headphone/line output is provided for connecting headphones or other audio equipment for monitoring the audio.
Mounting: The Zoom Q2n has a standard 1/4"-20 tripod thread on the bottom which allows you to attach the recorder to a tripod or other specialty mount with a 1/4" screw.
Accessory Pack: The optional Zoom APQ-2N Accessory Pack (sold separately) includes items specifically made for the Q2n Handy Video Recorder:
- Padded-shell case
- Hairy windscreen
- Tripod-to-Mic Stand adapter
- Lens cover
- Lens hood
- USB cable
- Tripod-to-3 prong action camera mount adapter
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?