About the AKG C414 XLS
Classic AKG performance
Classic AKG performance
Looking for a high-performance condenser microphone you can use for range of purposes around your studio? Check out AKG's versatile C414 XLS. It offers the same sonic performance as AKG's legendary C414-B-ULS, a highly popular mic used worldwide by professional studio engineers and admired for its detailed, accurate response. Nine selectable pickup patterns accommodate a wide variety of applications, from close-miking vocals or an acoustic guitar to capturing ambient room sounds. Three switchable bass cut filters and three pre-attenuation levels let you adjust for different sound sources and recording situations. For live concert use, all controls can be disabled easily so settings can't be changed accidentally.
Accurate sound and versatility
The C414 XLS has a wide dynamic range and features a large 1" diaphragm that can deliver finely detailed sound. A 20 dB attenuation switch lets the C414 handle high sound pressure levels, so you can use it for sources like drum kits, guitar amps and brass instruments.
The microphone comes with a windscreen and pop filter for vocal recordings. Also included is a universal shock mount. And all of this gear fits in the included foam-cushioned aluminum carry case.
- side-address condenser microphone
- selectable cardioid, omnidirectional, hypercardioid, and figure eight polar patterns
- 1" large diaphragm
- all-metal die-cast body with shock- and scratch-resistant finish
- switchable low-frequency filter
- 20 dB attenuation switch for handling extremely high sound pressure levels
- gold-plated connectors for optimal signal transfer
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- output impedance: 200 ohms
- sensitivity: -33 dBV/Pa
- max. SPL: 200 dB
- weight: 10.6 oz.
- XLR connector
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- aluminum carrying case
- spider-type suspension
- pop filter
- warranty:2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # C414XLS
What's in the box:
- C414 XLS condenser microphone
- SA60 stand adapter
- Thread adapter (inserted in the SA60)
- H85 Shock mount
- W414 windscreen
- Drawstring storage pouch
- User Instructions
- Warranty Card
- Microphone & Headphone Guide
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the AKG C414 XLS
Features & specs
|Application||For studio use|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The AKG C414 XLS is a multi-pattern, reference condenser microphone for studio recording and live sound applications. It is designed to give you a warm and clear sound for lead vocals and solo instruments. It can also be used in broadcast facilities. The microphone comes with a H65 shock mount, SA60 stand adapter (with an inserted thread adapter), W414 windscreen, and a sturdy carrying case.
C414 XLII vs. C414 XLS: The AKG C414 XLII and C414 XLS microphones are nearly identical, but have subtle differences. The C414 XLII was patterned after the famous C414-B-TL II, and enables lead vocals and solo instruments to stand out, even in a dense soundfield. It's also ideal for distant miking applications, such as classical music recording or drum ambiance. The C414 XLS has the sonic character of the C414 B-ULS. With a very linear and neutral sound, the C414 XLS is the widely used for accurate pickup of acoustic instruments.
Polar Patterns: The C414 XLS should be mounted in an upright position, with the front of the microphone (marked by the AKG logo) facing toward the sound source. The microphone offers selectable polar patterns, making it an ideal microphone for multiple settings. On the front of the microphone is a directional rocker switch and an LED with 9 positions indicating the selected polar pattern. There are five main polar patterns to choose from, with Intermediate positions between each selection. The main polar patterns to choose include:
- Omnidirectional: The omnidirectional pattern picks up sound from all directions, and can be used for ensemble singing or instruments, ambience recording, or far-field recording in good-sounding recording rooms.
- Wide Cardioid: A wide cardioid pattern, or sub-cardioid, is slightly more directional than an omnidirectional pattern. The rear sensitivity is approximately 3-10dB lower compared to the front sensitivity. It is ideal for picking up a group of vocalists or instruments with very little proximity effect.
- Cardioid: The cardioid polar pattern is more sensitive to sounds directly in front of the element, and reduces the pickup of unwanted sounds from the sides and back. It is an excellent choice for all kinds of voices and a wide range of instruments.
- Hypercardioid: A hypercardioid polar pattern is similar to a cardioid pattern, but is more directional with less sensitivity at the sides, and slightly more sensitive directly behind.
- Figure Eight: The microphone will equally pick up sounds from the front and rear. This works well for recording two sound sources (duet singers, talkers, instruments) facing each other. It can also be used for miking the side signal in M/S stereo recording, or for overhead miking.
Phantom Power: This condenser microphone requires phantom power of 48 V DC (+/-4V).
Bass Cut Filter: The C414 XLS is equipped with a selectable Bass-Cut filter which reduces low-frequency distortion caused by wind noise or air handling equipment. It also minimizes the proximity effect caused by close-miking from 4" or less. The Bass-Cut filter can be set to 40Hz (12dB/oct), 80Hz (12dB/oct), or 160Hz (6dB/oct).
Selectable Pre-attenuation Pad: The C414 XLS is capable of handling sound pressure levels up to 158 dB without distortion when the selectable Pre-attenuation Pad is engaged. The pad offers three levels of attenuation (-6dB, -12dB, and -18dB) which increases the headroom and prevents the microphone's output level from overloading the input preamps in a connected mixer or amp. The maximum SPL without distortion when the pad is off is 140dB. With the pad engaged, the maximum SPL increases to 146dB(-6dB pad), 152dB (-12dB pad), and 158dB (-18dB pad).
Shock Mount: Included with the C414 XLS is the H85 Universal Shock Mount. The shock mount isolates the microphone from mechanical vibrations and noise that might be transmitted through the mic stand. The shock mount has a 5/8"-27 thread. The package includes a metal thread adapter, to let you mount it to a stand or boom with 3/8"-16 threads.
- Type: 1" Large-diaphragm pressure gradient microphone
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: 23mV/Pa (-33mV +/- 0.5dB)
- Impedance: 200 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: ≥ 2200 ohms
- Maximum SPL (for 0.5% THD): 140dB (no pad), 146dB (w/-6dB pad), 152dB (-12dB pad), 158dB (-18dB pad)
- Bass Cut Filter: 40 Hz (12dB/oct), 80 Hz (12dB/oct), 160 Hz (6dB/oct)
- Phantom Power: +48V to IEC 61938
- Maximum Ouptut Level: 5 V rms (+14dBV)
- Output Connection: XLR male
- Dimensions: 2.1" width, 6.3" height, 1.7" depth
- Weight: 10.6 ounces