Large-diaphragm multi-pattern condenser microphone
Our take on the AKG P420 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The AKG P420 was built for the demands of pro-level studio recording. Its large-diaphragm design allows it to capture subtle details and fast transients. And with a maximum sound pressure level of 155 dB, you can close-mike just about anything, including loud instruments like drums and electric guitar cabinets. The mic has selectable cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-eight polar patterns. Having that extra control over the mic's area of coverage makes it a great choice for stereo miking techniques and recording ambient sounds.
The AKG P420 has 3 selectable polar patterns including the omnidirectional setting shown here.
A precision-tooled zinc/aluminum body and stainless steel grille resist dents and rough handling. The P420 comes with a spider-type shock mount, and a foam-lined aluminum carry case.
- professional studio condenser microphone
- for vocal and instrumental studio recording
- large 1" diaphragm
- selectable cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-eight polar patterns
- zinc/aluminum body with dent-resistant stainless steel grille
- low-noise electronics and transformerless output
- switchable low-frequency filter
- 20 dB attenuation switch for handling extremely high sound pressure levels
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 28 mv/Pa
- output impedance: 200 ohms
- max. SPL: 135/155 dB
- 6-1/2" length x 2-1/16" diameter
- weight: 18.5 oz.
- XLR connector
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- aluminum carrying case
- spider suspension mount
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Condenser large diaphragm dual capsule side-address microphone
- SH100 Spider Shock mount
- Spare elastic band (for shock mount)
- 5/8"-to-3/8" Thread adapter (inserted in shock mount)
- Metal carrying case
- User Instructions
- Warranty card
- China RoHS Declaration
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Application||For live & studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The AKG P420 is a multi-pattern, dual large-diaphragm, true condenser microphone for studio recording and stage performances. It is designed to give you a warm and clear sound for vocals, acoustic instruments, and brass instruments. It is rugged enough to work well in live performances. The mic comes with a spider shock mount, thread adapter, and a sturdy storage case.
Polar Patterns: The P420 should be mounted in an upright position, with the front of the microphone (marked by the AKG logo) facing toward the sound source. The microphone offers selectable polar patterns, making it an ideal microphone for multiple settings. A 3-way switch lets you choose from the following polar patterns:
- Cardioid: The cardioid polar pattern is more sensitive to sounds directly in front of the element, and reduces the pickup of unwanted sounds from the sides and back. It is an excellent choice for all kinds of voices and a wide range of instruments.
- Figure Eight: The microphone will equally pick up sounds from the front and rear. This works well for recording two sound sources (duet singers, talkers, instruments) facing each other. It can also be used for miking the side signal in M/S stereo recording, or for overhead miking.
- Omnidirectional: The omnidirectional pattern picks up sound from all directions, and can be used for ensemble singing or instruments, ambience recording, or far-field recording in good-sounding recording rooms.
Phantom Power: This condenser microphone requires phantom power of 48 V DC (+/-4V).
Bass Cut Filter: The P420 is equipped with a Bass-Cut filter which reduces low-frequency distortion caused by wind noise or air handling equipment. It also minimizes the proximity effect caused by close-miking from 4" or less. The Bass-Cut filter rolls off at 12 dB/octave from 300Hz downward.
Attenuation Pad: The P420 is capable of handling sound pressure levels up to 155 dB without distortion when the switchable Attenuation Pad is engaged. The pad increases the headroom by 20 dB, and prevents the microphone's output level from overloading the transformers used in mixer mic preamps. Without the pad, the maximum SPL without distortion is 135 dB.
Shock Mount: Included with the P420 is the SH100 Spider-type Shock Mount. The shock mount isolates the microphone from mechanical vibrations and noise that might be transmitted through the mic stand. The shock mount has a 5/8"-27 thread, and comes with a metal thread adapter, to let you mount it to stands with 3/8"-16 threads.
- Capsule: 1" dual-diaphragm, true condenser
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Open Circuit Sensitivity: 28mV/Pa (-31mV)
- Impedance: 200 ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: ≥ 1000 ohms
- Maximum SPL: 135dB, 155dB (w/-20dB pad)
- Bass Cut Filter: 300 Hz, 12dB/octave
- Phantom Power: +48V +/-4V
- Output Connection: XLR male
- Dimensions: 2.132" diameter, 6.537" length
- Weight: 18.7 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Large-diaphragm multi-pattern condenser microphone$199.99
Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone$99.00
Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone$119.99$30.00 Instant savings$149.99
Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone$149.99