About the JBL CBT 70J-1
A versatile line-array speaker
Four 5" low-frequency drivers and sixteen 1" tweeters offer impressive coverage options.
Get started with
a free system design
After we gather your information, we’ll send you a detailed system plan. It will include a link to a pre-filled shopping cart. Ordering is easy, and delivery is fast.
A versatile line-array speaker
The JBL CBT 70J-1 offers a lot of handy options in placement, aiming, dispersion angle and voicing. It features four 5-inch low frequency drivers and sixteen 1-inch high frequency drivers in a line array. It offers switchable voicing for music or speech applications. Constant Beamwidth™ technology provides constant directivity throughout the speaker's frequency response range, giving you more consistent sound throughout the listening area..
Coverage angle options
The speaker's asymmetrical vertical coverage sends more sound toward the far side of your room to make front-to-back sound levels more consistent. You can select a 25-degree dispersion angle in narrow mode for long-throw vertical coverage, or a 45-degree dispersion angle in wide mode for medium-throw coverage. Horizontal coverage is 150 degrees.
Pan/tilt mounting options
The included bracket lets you aim coverage even more accurately. It can swivel left/right up to 80-degrees (when no tilt is engaged), or tilt up to 15-degrees up and down.
- four 5" low-frequency drivers and sixteen 1" soft dome tweeters in line array
- frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
- power handling: 500 watts program power
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms
- max. SPL: 125 dB
- Constant Beamwidth Technology™ provides constant directivity up to the highest frequencies
- sends more sound toward far side of room to make front-to-back sound levels more consistent
- switchable voicing: flat response in music mode or mid-range presence peak in speech mode
- selectable vertical coverage pattern:
- 25° in narrow mode
- 45° in broad mode
- 150° horizontal coverage
- Dynamic SonicGuard™ overload protection
- fiberglass-reinforced ABS cabinet with painted aluminum grille
- IP55-rated dust- and moisture-resistant
- swiveling pan/tilt mounting bracket included (±80° swivel/±15°tilt)
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 6-3/4"W x 27-7/16"H x 9-5/16"D
- weight: 21 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CBT 70J-1-WH
What's in the box:
- 1 Line array column speaker (white)
- Aluminum grille (attached)
- Pan/tilt wall-mount bracket
- Six 14mm screws
- 6 Flat washers
- 6 Lock washers
- 3 Protective caps w/3M adhesive backing
- Installation guide
- Specification sheet
- Warranty information
JBL CBT 70J-1 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL CBT 70J-1
Features & specs
|Drivers per speaker||20|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|System Frequency response||60Hz-20kHz|
|Peak Power rating||---|
Overview: The JBL CBT 70J-1 line array column speaker represents the latest generation of pattern-controlled speakers, providing consistent listening-space coverage, superior sound quality, and versatility for a wide variety of applications. The CBT 70J-1 is an ideal solution for performance auditoriums, houses of worship, lecture halls, cinema main speakers or very high-output surrounds, transit facilities, theme parks, and more. The JBL column speaker can be used outdoors as well.
Drivers: The JBL CBT 70J-1 column speaker houses four 5" high-excursion woofers and sixteen 1" extra-high-power soft dome tweeters, arranged coaxially in a vertical fashion. Both driver types feature coated driver materials for moisture, UV, and salt resistance for outdoor use.
- Woofers: Each of the 4 low-frequency drivers is comprised of a coated, sealed paper cone with blended textile surrounds. They feature lightweight neodymium motors with 1.5" voice coils, providing maximum flux, and are magnetically shielded. Copper caps on the pole-piece minimize flux modulation and linear inductance, resulting in lower distortion and improved frequency response.
- Tweeters: The column speaker's 1" high-frequency drivers feature neodymium structures providing maximum sensitivity, high power handling, and long excursion. Large back enclosures provide additional frequency range and output, and are encased for weather resistance.
Adjustable Coverage: The CBT 70J-1 offers versatility and flexibility in providing sound coverage for a wide variety of applications.
- Constant Beamwidth: Incorporating JBL's Constant Beamwidth Technology, the line array column speaker utilizes analog delay beam-forming and amplitude tapering to provide consistent vertical coverage without the narrow vertical beaming and out-of-coverage lobing that are typical in straight column speakers.
- Adjustable Coverage: The Line-Array Column speaker provides 150° of horizontal sound dispersion, and two vertical coverage modes - Narrow (25°) and Broad (45°), both selectable via a side-panel dial.
- Variable Voicing: The CBT 70J-1 provides 2 voicing types that can be set using the Music/Speech dial located in the enclosure's side-panel. The Music setting provides a flat frequency response, while the Speech setting adds a mid-range presence boost. This provides increased midrange sensitivity for higher midrange output capability and clear, intelligible speech, even at the longest throw distances.
Dynamic SonicGuard: This feature provides protection for the high-frequency section by limiting driver excursion dynamically. SonicGuard protects the drivers from damage due to occasional overpowering, while maximizing music clarity and speech intelligibility at high drive levels.
Outdoor Use: The CBT 70J-1 is designed to be installed either indoors or outdoors. The enclosure is made from fiberglass reinforced ABS, coated with UV resistant paint, and includes a powder-coated aluminum grille. All drivers are weather-treated for protection from moisture, UV rays, and salt spray. An optional MTC-PC2 panel cover (sold separately) can seal the terminal compartment from excessive moisture, giving the line array column speaker an IP55 rating.
Mounting: The JBL line array column speaker includes a pan/tilt wall-mount bracket that can provide ±80° of swivel and ±15° of tilt. Ten M6 (16mm deep) threaded brass inserts along the back panel offer a wide variety of spacing patterns for the included brackets, as well as common third-party mounting brackets.
- Power Handling: 500W program power, 2000W peak
- Frequency Range (-10dB): 60Hz - 20kHz
- Sensitivity: 98dB @ highest sensitivity pattern, 92dB @ lowest sensitivity pattern.
- Maximum SPL: 131dB
- Nominal Impedance: 8O
- Low Frequency: Four 5.0"
- High Frequency: Sixteen 1.0"
- Enclosure: Fiberglass reinforced ABS with powder-coated aluminum grille.
- Outdoor Rating: IP55, per IEC529 (when installed with optional MTC-PC2 terminal cover). Exceeds Mil Spec 810 for humidity, temperature & UV, ASTM G85 for acid-air/salt-spray (200hrs).
- Mounting: Ten M6 threaded inserts on rear panel for wall-mount bracket.
- Dimensions: Width = 6.70", Height = 27.25", Depth = 9.50"
- Weight: 21 lbs.