About the JBL VMA1240
A mixer with plenty of power
The JBL VMA1240 packs a lot of functionality — and 240 watts of power — into a single chassis. There are balanced and unbalanced inputs for music sources, plus an input with mic priority, so the other inputs are muted when an important announcement is made. And Bluetooth® is built in for making a wireless connection. Each input channel gets its own independent level control, and the dials are illuminated for easy operation in a darkened environment.
- amplified mixer for commercial audio distribution features 5 input channels and 1 output channel of 240 watts
- supports 70-volt and 100-volt distributed audio systems without the need for a separate transformer
- stable from 4-8 ohms
- Bluetooth®-enabled for wireless music streaming
- rotary level controls for each input channel
- independent bass and treble controls for the output channel
- illuminated rings around buttons and dials for easy operation in darkened environments
- DIP switches for mic/line selection, phantom power, paging chime and 70/100V operation
- rack mounting kit included
Inputs and outputs:
- two 1/4" TRS inputs (1 front, 1 back)
- 5-pin Euroblock Priority input connector with vocal override for announcements
- two stereo RCA inputs (summed to mono)
- front panel Type-A USB input
- RJ-45 style connector for connecting to JBL CSR-V control module
- unwired Euro-block connectors are included
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17"W x 3-7/8"H x 19"D
- weight: 25.5 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NVMA1240-0-US
What's in the box:
- 77" Power cord (IEC 3-pin)
- 2 Front angle brackets
- 2 Rear angle brackets
- 2 Rear flat brackets
- One 5-pin Euroblock (Phoenix) connector
- One 3-pin Euroblock connector
- Four M6 x 14mm machine screws
- Twelve M3 x 8mm machine screws
- 4 Flat washers
- 4 Lock washers
- Owner's manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the JBL VMA1240
Overview: The JBL VMA1240 is a cost-effective and flexible commercial mixer/amplifier designed for installed sound applications. Featuring 240 Watts of output power, it has 5 input channels and 1 output channel, which can drive either 4 or 8 Ohm speakers or 70V/100V speakers. It also includes VOX ducking during announcements, independent bass and treble controls for each output channel, remote capability with JBL's optional wired volume control, and MP3 file playback from the front panel USB input or a Bluetooth connection.
Inputs: The VMA1240's inputs are as follows:
- Inputs 1 and 3: These inputs both use balanced 1/4" TRS jacks, with Input 1 located on the front panel and Input 3 on the rear panel.
- Inputs 2 and 4: These rear-panel inputs use balanced Euroblock connectors. Input 2 uses a 5-pin Euroblock connector which includes priority contacts that will duck other channels during an announcement when the contacts are closed, such as when using a push-to-talk microphone. Input 4 uses a balanced 3-pin Euroblock connector and also includes a set of unbalanced stereo RCA jacks.
- Music1: This rear-panel input uses unbalanced RCA jacks, with input signals summed into mono.
- USB: A front panel USB port is provided for MP3 file playback.
- Remote Input: The rear panel includes an RJ-45 style socket for use with an optional JBL CSR-V remote volume control module (sold separately).
Outputs: The VMA1240 utilizes a single 5-terminal barrier strip for the output. This features set-screw connections that include + and - terminals for a 4O or 8O connection as well as 70V, 100V, and COM terminals for high impedance speakers. The mixer/amplifier can provide up to 240W of power at the output in either type of configuration. The output terminals can accept speaker wire up to 14AWG.
Front Panel: The VMA1240 controls include a main power switch, Bluetooth pairing button, 1 rotary Master output level control, 5 rotary input level controls (one for each input), Bass and Treble controls for the output channel with +/- 14dB adjustment at 50Hz and 10kHz. The front panel also includes an LCD screen and media playback controls for the USB and Bluetooth sources. Controls include: Play/pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Loop, Record, and media Volume +/-.
Note: The front panel LCD is only used for displaying media information. All configuration is done using the DIP switch panel.
DIP Switch Configuration: The VMA1240 has a single DIP switch panel for configuring the inputs, giving it a lot of flexibility. The DIP switch configuration is as follows:
Input 2 Phantom Power
Input 4 Phantom Power
- 70V/100V Output Setting: This DIP switch determines whether the amplifier is configured to drive low impedance speakers (4O/8O) or 70V/100V speakers. When set for high impedance speakers, a 70Hz high-pass filter is automatically applied.
- Chime Function: This DIP switch setting enables a chime sound at the onset of an announcement when priority muting is being used.
- Line/Mic Switch: This setting will be determined by the strength of the input signal. Switching to Mic activates 48dB of additional gain to the signal.
- Phantom Power: The amplifier can apply 27V of phantom power to that input if the microphone requires it.
VOX Function: Voice activated ducking is available for Input 1. The audio input level required to activate ducking is set using the rear-panel trim pot. Turning it counterclockwise will reduce the level while full clockwise will disable the VOX function.
Priority Muting: Input Channel 2 can mute all other channels if pins 4 and 5 are shorted together using a switch such as a push-to-talk microphone.
Media Playback: The JBL VMA1240 allows MP3 file playback from either the front panel USB input or a Bluetooth connected device. A front panel button allows quick and easy pairing of Bluetooth devices.
Remote Volume Control: A single RJ45 connector is provided on the back panel for using an optional CSR-V wall-mounted, remote volume control. This lets you adjust the main output level from a remote location.
Rack Mounting: The VMA1240 includes optional front and rear brackets allowing it to be mounted in a standard 19" rack.
- Maximum Power: 240 Watts into 4O or 8O
- Number of Input Channels: 5
- Number of Output Channels: 1
- Tone Controls:
- Bass +/- 14dB @ 50Hz
- Treble +/- 14dB @ 10kHz
- Input Sensitivity:
- Mic input: 5.5mV
- Line input: 1.3V
- RCA input: 130mV
- Frequency Response:
- 4/8O Output: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 2dB
- 70V/100V Output: 80Hz - 15kHz +/- 3dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.5%, 20Hz - 20kHz
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >76dB
- Input Impedance (Nominal):
- Mic: 400O
- Line: 20kO (balanced)
- RCA: 50kO
- Phantom Power: 27 VDC
- Crosstalk: -70dB
- Width = 17.0"
- Height = 3.875"
- Depth = 19.0"
- Weight: 25.5 lbs.