About the dbx® 1066
A reliable choice for your rack
A reliable choice for your rack
The dbx 1066 compressor/limiter/gate has been a go-to solution for many audio pros for years. While some competing processors are prized for the way they color the sound, the "dbx sound" is clean, transparent, and musical. In compression mode you can instantly add that classic dbx response to your mix with a touch of the Auto button. Or use the independent attack and release controls to tailor the 1066's output to your specific needs. The contour switch allows entire mixes to be easily smoothed with soft compression while keeping low frequencies from punching holes in the overall mix.
You get separate expander/gate, compressor, and limiter controls for both channels. And you can link the channels together for stereo with the touch of a button.
Precision and protection
At the heart of this workhorse is a special voltage-controlled amplifier (VCA) that was developed especially for dbx's 10-series processors like the 1066 and 1046. This VCA boasts superb dynamic range characteristics while maintaining very low distortion and almost immeasurable noise characteristics. Selectable "hard-knee" or OverEasy® characteristics make the 1066 ideal for your gain control needs, whether you're looking for "heavy" special-effects-style compression or soft, smooth gain leveling. The 1066 allows you to eliminate unwanted signals, flexibly control overall signal gain, and guard your overall mix in dual mono or stereo operation.
Whether as part of the signal chain in a studio or broadcast facility, sound reinforcement in an auditorium or church, or on the road with a PA, the 1066 can help you push the limits of your system while helping to prevent excessive levels from distorting power amps and/or damaging speaker drivers. For overall speaker protection, it's tough to beat dbx's PeakStopPlus™ limiter technology. It squashes unwanted transients, keeping them from blowing your drivers, and can also be used to prevent obnoxious-sounding digital signal overload. Selectable input and output metering with bright LED displays let you confirm that everything is matched up level-wise with just a glance.
- pro-quality dynamics control for any type of program material
- error-proof operation to smooth uneven levels, add sustain to guitars, fatten drums or tighten up mixes
- selectable auto (classic dbx) or manual (variable attack and release) compression
- selectable OverEasy® or classic "hard knee" compression curves
- PeakStopPlus™ limiter provides control of maximum peak output levels to protect downstream equipment
- expander/gate circuit with new gate timing algorithms to ensure the smoothest release characteristics
- contour switch removes unwanted low frequency information from detector circuit
- precision metering of input level, output level, and gain reduction
- stereo or dual-mono operation
- selectable +4dB or -10dB operation for compatibility with pro and consumer gear
- balanced inputs and outputs with 1/4" TRS and XLR connectors
- side chain insert lets you fine-tune threshold sensitivity via optional frequency filtering or EQ (side chain input is unbalanced 1/4" TS, output is balanced 1/4" TRS)
- compressor threshold range: -40dB to +20dB
- compressor ratio: 1:1 to infinity:1
- attack time: variable program-dependent; 3mS to 340mS for 15dB gain reduction
- expander/gate threshold range: off to +15dB
- expander/gate ratio: 10:1
- frequency response: 20-20,000Hz (±0.5dB)
- 19"W x 1-3/4"H x 9"D (1U rack space)
- weight: 5.1 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 1066
More details on the dbx® 1066