Passive direct box
Our take on the Whirlwind Director® by Crutchfield's James Ralston
Whirlwind designed their Director to solve lots of potential problems on the stage, in the studio, or with your home recording rig. This little black box has a simple but very important job: provide clean, noise-free signal flow from your instrument to a mixer or recording interface. It features Whirlwind's premium metal-shielded transformer for transparent sound.
In live performance situations, a direct box (also sometimes called a "DI box" or just "DI") can come in handy for mixing the sound of a bass guitar or another electric instrument without having to put a mic on the player's amplifier onstage. Or it can be used to reduce AC ground loop noise. In a recording setting, a direct box lets you cleanly input high-impedance instrument-level signals into your USB interface or mixer. The Director's loop-through 1/4" output allows flexible options for monitoring your performance.
- premium passive direct box features a metal-shielded transformer for top-notch performance
- parallel-wired 1/4" input and output jacks
- balanced XLR output
- instrument/amp switch (30dB pad) allows use with high-impedance instrument-level signals, line-level signals, and even speaker-level signals from an amplifier
- switchable high-cut filter for use in "amp" mode
- ground lift switch to reduce ground loop hum
- frequency response 20-20,000 Hz (±1dB)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- when using a tube amp's speaker level output, the direct box doesn't present a safe load — you also need to connect a speaker or dummy load to avoid damaging your amp
What's in the Box:
- Director direct box
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Whirlwind Director is a premium direct box that converts an unbalanced line, instrument, or speaker level signal to low impedance balanced mic level. The Director, like the other Whirlwind direct boxes, is made in the USA at Whirlwind's facility in Rochester, NY.
Input/Outputs: The Director has a single 1/4" input with a 1/4" and male XLR output:
- Input: This 1/4" input jack comes from the output of the source device. The source may be any type of musical instrument or amplifier speaker output.
- Outputs: The 1/4" output is wired parallel with the 1/4" input. The male XLR jack provides a balanced low impedance (150Ω) signal for connection to balanced, low-Z equipment, such as a mixing console or workstation.
Transformer: The Director is equipped with Whirlwind's high quality TRHL-M transformer which uses a metal can for extra shielding.
Switches: There are three toggle switches on the Director:
- Ground/Lift: This switch disconnects the ground between the input and the XLR output when set to the Lift position to help eliminate hum. In the Gnd position, the ground remains connected.
- Inst/Amp: Most instruments will operate properly when set to the Inst position. For very "hot" instrument signals, or when connecting the Director to the speaker output of an amplifier, the switch should be set to the Amp position. The Amp position engages a 30dB pad.
- Flat/Filter: The Flat/Filter switch engages a high-cut filter when placed in the Filter position to reduce hiss and noise. The filter is only functional when the Inst/Amp switch is in the Amp position. The filter is bypassed when set to the Flat position.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz (±1dB)
- Impedance Ratio (input to output): 133:1
- Level Change (input to output): -20dB (pad out), -50dB (pad in)
- Dimensions: Width: 5.09", Height: 1.518", Depth: 3.724"
- Weight: 11.6 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.