About the Mackie Carbon
Simple sonic improvement
Simple sonic improvement
What a difference a good microphone makes. Mackie's Carbon has a use for just about everyone. Musicians, podcasters, and YouTubers stepping up from built-in mics will love it. So will students and teachers engaged with remote learning, and anyone who uses Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype or the like for video-conferencing. Yup, I think that's almost everyone these days.
The Carbon's large diaphragm is especially great for rendering clear, articulate vocals, whether you're recording or broadcasting. And the five switchable polar patterns give you amazing flexibility for getting the best recording of a wide variety of sources. It's a brilliant, cost-effective solution for vastly improved audio quality.
Preamp and headphone control built-in
Mackie's pro-quality Onyx preamp circuitry comes built in, with a gain control that lets you adjust levels to capture the best possible signal — whether it's a whisper, or a guitar amp set to 11. And built-in headphone output with level control allows you to dial yourself into the working mix with precision. Having it all in one unit makes your job easy, whether you're recording at home, or going mobile.
The built-in Mute button is a nice touch. It's helpful to use it when you're listening to playback through speakers, so that you hear only the recording — not the recording playing back through the mic.
5 switchable polar patterns
Flexibility is at your fingertips with the Carbon's five switchable polar patterns. You can go from recording an intimate voice with the cardioid pattern, to capturing the ambience of insect noises in your backyard with a stereo or omni-directional pattern. All with the twist of a knob.
The Carbon is a great introduction to studio-quality microphones. Its Onyx preamp circuitry delivers clear tone, low noise, and wide dynamic range. And the included Waveform™ OEM recording software bundle opens up the world of the digital audio workstation (DAW) to burgeoning musicians and producers.
Mackie has been making professional audio gear since 1988. Their products are known for being practical and durable. The Carbon is no exception — its burly construction will stand up to years of regular use.
- large diaphragm condenser microphone
- connects directly to computer via USB, no interface needed
- ideal for recording, video conferencing, and remote learning
- 5 switchable polar patterns:
- cardioid — records what is close and in front of microphone, great for vocals
- super-cardioid — records what is close and in front of microphone within a tighter zone, with some pickup from behind microphone, great for instruments
- stereo — records to the left and right of the microphone, great for ambient recording
- bi-directional — records to the front and back of the microphone, great for head-to-head interviews
- omni-directional — records in all directions, great for meetings or single microphone on group of instruments in a room
- onboard gain control
- 3.5mm headphone output with onboard level control
- onboard mute button
- supports Windows® and Mac® OS, no drivers needed
- onboard Mackie Onyx preamp circuitry
- includes Waveform™ OEM recording software bundle
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- recording resolution: 16-bit/48kHz
- 4-5/16"W x 11-15/16"H x 4-7/8"D (w/included stand)
- weight: 2 pounds
- desktop microphone stand
- USB Type-C cable
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CARBON
What's in the box:
- USB Condenser microphone w/attached table-top stand
- 78" USB cable (type-A to type-C/2.0)
- 5/8"-to-3/8" thread adapter (installed on mic)
- Owner's manual
- Waveform OEM & DAW Essentials registration card w/ license code
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mackie Carbon
Construction: The Mackie Carbon is a premium USB condenser microphone designed for live streaming, content creation, podcasting, and more. It features Mackie's legendary Onyx mic preamp circuitry, 5 selectable polar patterns, onboard headphone monitoring, direct USB-to-computer connection with 16-bit/48kHz resolution, and an adjustable desk-top stand. The Carbon mic's construction features a durable metal housing with metal-mesh capsule screen, providing Mackie "Built-Like-A-Tank" reliability and performance.
Connections: The base of the Carbon microphone includes a USB-C port, for connecting to a computer or laptop, and a 3.5mm stereo jack for headphone monitoring (headphones not included).
- System Compatibility:
- PC: Windows XP, XP Pro, 7, 8, 10 / USB 1.1/2.0 (64MB RAM minimum)
- MAC: OS 10.1.11 or higher / USB 1.1/2.0 (64MB RAM minimum)
Controls: The Carbon includes a built-in Mute button that when pressed, will mute the microphone, but still allow audio from your computer to pass through the headphone output. Gain and Headphone Volume rotary controls let you adjust the input signal level and the volume for any connected headphones. A 5-way rotary switch lets you select one of five polar patterns to best suit your application. Pattern selections include:
- Cardioid: Front-facing pickup for single-person speech and vocals.
- Super-Cardioid: Offers a tighter front pattern than Cardioid, with some pickup from the rear of the mic.
- Bidirectional: Front and rear pickup. Ideal for podcasts and interviews with two people face to face.
- Stereo: Provides stereo pickup from the front. Ideal for instruments or groups.
- Omnidirectional: This captures sound from all sides and is ideal for recording a whole band with one mic, online meetings, or conference calls.
Stand: The Mackie Carbon microphone includes a table-top mic stand with adjustable tensioning-knobs on either side, letting you angle the mic for optimal pickup.
Threaded Base: The Carbon features a 5/8" threaded base, along with a 3/8" adapter, for attaching the mic to most any standard microphone stand or boom-arm (sold separately).
Included Software Bundle: The Mackie Carbon includes a registration card and license code for free access to a powerful software bundle that provides everything you need to record, mix, and master your next project.
Waveform OEM: Waveform OEM is a multi-award winning DAW featuring powerful tools for modern musicians. Key features include unlimited track count, compatibility with all popular plug-ins, and efficient performance on Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems:
Windows: 8 & 10 (64-bit)
MacOS: 10.11 or later (64-bit Intel or Apple Silicon)
Linux: Ubuntu 18.0 (64-bit)
Raspberry Pi: 2, 3, & 4 (32-bit), Sandy Bridge or later (64-bit), Raspbian 10 (Buster)
DAW Essentials Collection: Includes 16 contemporary FX plug-ins that can be used with any DAW. These effects plug-ins utilize the very latest algorithms and coding techniques, providing exceptional sound quality in an extremely efficient package. FX include: Equaliser, Compressor, Delays, Limiter, Gate/Expander, Crusher, and more.
Element: 14mm Condenser capsule
Polar Pattern: 5 Selectable - Cardioid, Super-cardioid, Stereo, Bidirectional, Omnidirectional
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: -37dB (0dB = 1V/Pa@1kHz)
Maximum SPL: 126dB (@1kHz 1% THD)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100dB
Sample Rate: 16-Bit/48kHz
Stereo Output Power (HP): 130mW
Weight: 2.0 lbs.