About the Mackie Chromium
A versatile plug-and-play mic with a built-in mixer
A versatile plug-and-play mic with a built-in mixer
This Mackie USB mic plugs directly into your computer, which is super-handy for podcasters, YouTubers, musicians, and people working or learning from home. The Chromium's large diaphragm is especially great for rendering clear, articulate vocals, whether you're recording or broadcasting. Four switchable polar patterns give you amazing versatility for getting the best recordings of a wide variety of sources. But what really sets the Chromium apart in Mackie's Element line is the 2-channel mixer. It's a brilliant, cost-effective solution for vastly improved audio quality, and flexible control over multiple inputs.
Preamp and headphone control built-in
Mackie's pro-quality Onyx preamp circuitry comes built in, with a gain control that lets you adjust levels to capture the best possible signal — whether it's a whisper, or a guitar amp set to 11. And built-in headphone output with level control allows you to dial yourself into the working mix with precision. Having it all in one unit makes your job easy, whether you're recording at home, or going mobile.
The built-in Mute button is a nice touch. It's helpful to use it when you're listening to playback through speakers, so that you hear only the recording — not the recording playing back through the mic.
Mix it up
The Chromium takes Mackie's Element series to the next level with its onboard 2-channel mixer, built right into the integrated mic stand. You can accompany yourself — or record direct — by plugging an electric instrument into the 1/4" input. Or sing and play along with a stereo track plugged into the 3.5mm aux input. Both of these inputs have level control knobs onboard. You also get the blend knob, which allows you to set a balance between what you are recording and the rest of the mix.
4 switchable polar patterns
Flexibility is at your fingertips with the Chromium's four switchable polar patterns. You can go from recording an intimate voice with the cardiod pattern, to capturing the ambience of insect noises in your backyard with a stereo or omni-directional pattern. All with the twist of a knob.
The Chromium is a great introduction to studio-quality microphones. Its Onyx preamp circuitry delivers clear tone, low noise, and wide dynamic range. And the included Pro Tools® software bundle affordably opens up the world of the digital audio workstation (DAW) to burgeoning musicians and producers.
Mackie has been making professional audio gear since 1988. Their products are known for being practical and durable. The Chromium is no exception — its burly construction will stand up to years of regular use.
- large diaphragm condenser microphone with built in 2-channel mixer
- connects directly to computer via USB, no interface needed
- ideal for recording, video conferencing, and remote learning
- 4 switchable polar patterns:
- cardioid — records what is close and in front of microphone, great for vocals
- stereo — records to the left and right of the microphone, great for ambient recording
- bi-directional — records to the front and back of the microphone, great for head-to-head interviews
- omni-directional — records in all directions, great for meetings or single microphone on group of instruments in a room
- onboard gain control
- 3.5mm headphone output with onboard level control
- 3.5mm stereo aux input with onboard level control
- 1/4" instrument input with onboard level control
- blend control knob balances USB input level with mic level
- onboard mute button
- supports Windows® and Mac® OS, no drivers needed
- onboard Mackie Onyx preamp circuitry
- Pro Tools® First and Waveform™ OEM
- The Musician Collection for Pro Tools® First
- The DAW Essentials™ Bundle for Waveform™ OEM
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- recording resolution: 16-bit/48kHz
- 4-3/4"W x 9-13/16"H x 4-3/4"D
- weight: 3.6 pounds
- integrated desktop microphone stand/2-channel mixer
- USB Type-C cable
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CHROMIUM
What's in the box:
- USB Condenser microphone with integrated mixer/stand
- 39" USB cable (type-A to type-C/2.0)
- Owner's manual
- Pro Tools First registration card
- Waveform OEM & DAW Essentials registration card w/ license code
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mackie Chromium
Construction: The Mackie Chromium is a premium USB condenser microphone designed for home studio singer/songwriters, live streaming, content creation, podcasting, and more. It features Mackie's legendary Onyx mic preamp circuitry, 4 selectable polar patterns, onboard headphone monitoring, and direct USB-to-computer connection with 16-bit/48kHz resolution. The mic features an integrated desktop stand with built-in 2-channel mixer, letting you blend your vocals with the incoming audio. The Chromium mic's construction features a durable metal housing with metal-mesh capsule screen, providing Mackie "Built-Like-A-Tank" reliability and performance.
Computer Connection: The Chromium microphone's built-in mixer/stand includes a USB-C port, letting you record directly to your computer or laptop with provided USB-A to USB-C cable.
- System Compatibility:
- PC: Windows XP, XP Pro, 7, 8, 10 / USB 1.1/2.0 (64MB RAM minimum)
- MAC: OS 10.1.11 or higher / USB 1.1/2.0 (64MB RAM minimum)
Microphone Controls: The Chromium mic features a built-in Mute button that when pressed, will mute only the microphone, but still allow audio from your computer to pass through the headphone output. A rotary Gain control lets you adjust the input signal level of the microphone capsule. A 4-way rotary switch lets you select one of five polar patterns to best suit your application. Pattern selections include:
- Cardioid: Front-facing pickup for single-person speech and vocals.
- Bidirectional: Front and rear pickup. Ideal for podcasts and interviews with two people face to face.
- Stereo: Provides stereo pickup from the front. Ideal for instruments or groups.
- Omnidirectional: This captures sound from all sides and is ideal for recording a whole band with one mic, online meetings, or conference calls.
Mixer/Stand: The Mackie Chromium microphone includes an integrated 2-channel mixer and table-top stand. A single tensioning-knob lets you adjust the mic angle with up to 60˚ of range. A 2-channel mixer, built into the stand base includes the following jacks and controls:
- Instrument Input: A 1/4" input is provided that can accept instrument- or line-level signals, balanced or unbalanced. A corresponding Level control adjusts the amount of input signal.
- Aux Input: A 3.5mm stereo input can be used for music playback from smartphone, tablet, portable player, or other audio source.
- Headphone Output: A 3.5mm stereo headphone output is provided with corresponding rotary level control.
- Blend Control: Adjusts the balance of the Mic and USB playback signals.
- USB-C: Provides the connection to your computer or laptop.
- Level Meters: Two 5-segment LED level meters indicate the Input and Output levels of the combined signals.
Included Software Bundle: The Mackie Chromium includes registration cards and a license code for free access to a powerful software bundle that provides everything you need to record, mix, and master your next project.
Pro Tools/First Software: Avid Pro Tools is the industry standard for audio recording and editing software. The Mackie Creator Bundle includes Pro Tools/First, Avid's entry-level version of their powerful software. Even as "entry-level" software, Pro Tools/First is packed with important features for recording and editing your music.
Up to 16 audio tracks
Session Templates: Various session templates are provided to help you get started quickly. Templates for rock, pop, electronica, hip-hop, and jazz can cover a wide range of music styles, each including preloaded virtual instruments. You can also build tracks from scratch and save your track settings as presets.
Editing: Featuring Pro Tool's world-class editing tools, the Pro Tools/First software lets you click-and-drag MIDI notes, change tempo, edit pitch and timing, correct mistakes, and much more.
UVI Workstation: This is a powerful sample player and multitimbral instrument that makes it easy and fun to create unique sounds. It also includes Xpand!2 virtual instrument pack, offering a wide range of sounds, from beats and loops to orchestral instruments, and more.
Soundbase: Includes over 3GB of high-quality loops, samples, and sound content created by leading producers.
Effects & Utility Plugins: Pro Tools/First comes with 23 effects and utility plugins to help shape sounds, warm up tones, and give tracks greater presence. Plugins range from EQ and Dynamics to Reverb and Delays. Additional plugins can be purchased through Avid.
Cloud Storage: Pro Tools/First includes Avid's free introductory cloud storage, letting you save, sync, and share up to three projects.
Windows: 10 (Build 1909 only)
MacOS: High Sierra (10.13.6), Mojave (10.14.5)
Waveform OEM: Waveform OEM is a multi-award winning DAW featuring powerful tools for modern musicians. Key features include unlimited track count, compatibility with all popular plug-ins, and efficient performance on Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems:
Windows: 8 & 10 (64-bit)
MacOS: 10.11 or later (64-bit)
Linux: Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)
Raspberry Pi: 2, 3, & 4 (32-bit)
DAW Essentials Collection: Includes 16 contemporary FX plug-ins that can be used with any DAW. These effects plug-ins utilize the very latest algorithms and coding techniques, providing exceptional sound quality in an extremely efficient package. FX include: Equaliser, Compressor, Delays, Limiter, Gate/Expander, Crusher, and more.
Element: (3)16mm electret capsule
Polar Pattern: 4 Selectable - Cardioid, Stereo, Bidirectional, Omnidirectional
Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: -38dB (0dB = 1V/Pa@1kHz)
Maximum SPL: 110dB (@1kHz 1% THD)
Sample Rate: 16-Bit/48kHz
Weight: 3.6 lbs.