About the Mackie ProFX12v2
Experience helps build a better mixer
Experience helps build a better mixer
Mackie brings over forty years of experience to the design table with the latest upgrade of their popular ProFX Series mixers. The ProFX12v2 12-channel mixer comes packed with all the input and output features you need for live sound production, along with onboard effects that allow you to retire that outboard gear and still be able to add some space and nuance to a mix.
Low-noise mic preamps
The ProFX12v2 uses six Mackie Vita™ microphone preamps, each featuring a virtually noiseless Class A design, made specifically for live sound. Each mic input also features a low-cut filter to help remove the unwanted rumble and bleed of a live stage mix.
Mackie's ReadyFX™ effects processor includes 16 performance-tested reverb, delay, and chorus effects to color the sound just the way you like it. You can plug in an optional footswitch so a player could activate or defeat an effect from the stage. You can assign a 7-band graphic equalizer to either the main stereo mix or the monitor mix so you'll have control over the front-of-house tone or any feedback issues in your monitor mix.
Connects to computer with USB
Integrated USB connectivity makes 2-track digital recording and playback simple. For recording, the ProFX12v2 comes with Tracktion® music production software, but it'll also work with almost any DAW software. For playback, you can stream music directly from your laptop during breaks, for instance. A “Break” button mutes all mic and line inputs so you can play music through the PA while the band's off stage, without any unexpected noises coming from live channels.
- channels 1-4:
- mono mic/line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- switchable high-pass filter (100 Hz, 18 dB/octave)
- insertion (I/O) jack
- ch 1 has selectable HI-Z input for instruments
- channels 5/6 and 7/8
- mono mic and stereo line inputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- switchable high-pass filter (100 Hz, 18 dB/octave)
- channels 9/10 and 11/12:
- stereo line inputs (1/4" TRS)
- switchable phantom power (+48 volts) on all mic inputs
- 3-band EQ on all channels
- high: 12,000 Hz (shelving)
- mid: 2,500 Hz (peaking)
- low: 80 Hz (shelving)
- OL (overload) lights on all channels
- Mackie Vita™ Class A microphone preamps
- computer connectivity via USB (2-channel record and playback)
- Tracktion® music production software included
- compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.11 and later, and Windows XP, Vista, 7, and later
- ReadyFX™ effects processor with 16 effects (reverb, chorus, delay)
- Left/Right main outputs (XLR and 1/4" TRS)
- 2 auxiliary sends
- Mon: pre-fader
- FX: post-fader bus to effects processor and effects send
- 7-band stereo graphic EQ on main mix or Mon output
- Break button mutes all channels but tape and USB inputs
- LED output meter with peak indicator
- PFL (pre-fader listen) for metering and monitoring individual channels
- mute and pan controls on each channel
- headphone output
- unbalanced stereo Tape (RCA) inputs and outputs
- steel chassis
- dimensions: 14-5/8"W x 3-5/8"H x 14-1/8"D
- weight: 9 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 2044602-00
What's in the box:
- 12-channel Mixer
- 5' AC cable
- 6' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Type B USB on other end)
- Quick Start Guide
- Software license card
Mackie ProFX12v2 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mackie ProFX12v2
Features & specs
|Line inputs||12 x 1/4"|
|Monitors||1 x 1/4"|
Overview: The Mackie ProFX12v2 is a professional 12-channel compact mixer with six mic preamps and a USB interface. The Mackie ProFXv2 series mixers includes a new ReadyFX effects engine that instantly delivers your choice of 16 effects. In addition, the ProFX12v2 offers 60mm faders, 3-band equalization for each input, and a stereo 7-band Graphic EQ for the main or monitor mix. The mixer features a solid steel chassis with rugged ABS side panels. Included with the mixer is easy-to-use Tracktion recording software (via free download).
Main Inputs: The ProFX12v2 offers the following main inputs:
- Vita Mic Preamps (Ch. 1-6): Mackie's all-new Vita microphone preamps are designed for live sound with higher fidelity and tremendous headroom. Channels 1-6 are equipped with female XLR connectors that will accept balanced mic or line level inputs from almost any type of source. The mic inputs feature 48-volt phantom power from a single 2-way switch.
- Mono Line Inputs (Ch. 1-4): In addition to female XLRs, the channel 1-4 inputs have 1/4" jacks that will accept line level signals from balanced or unbalanced sources. These 1/4" jacks share circuitry, but not phantom power with the mic preamps.
- Line/Hi-Z Input (Ch. 1 only): The channel 1 1/4" input features a Line/Hi-Z switch that allows you to connect a guitar to the input without a DI box. With the switch pressed in, the input impedance is optimized for direct connection. In the out position, channel 1's 1/4" input becomes a line input like channels 2-4.
- Stereo Line Inputs (Ch. 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12): These pairs of 1/4" jacks may be driven by stereo or mono balanced or unbalanced sources. They may be used with just about any professional or semi-pro instrument, effect, or tape player. If you are connecting a mono source, you should use the left (mono) input, and the mono signals will appear on both sides of the main mix. The level for each pair of stereo line inputs is adjusted with a single potentiometer.
- Inserts: On channels 1, 2, 3, and 4, single 1/4" inputs are provided for connecting serial effects processors, such as compressors, equalizers, de-essers, or filters. The signal can go out of the insert jack to the external device, be processed, and come back in on the same insert jack. (The insert cable must be wired as follows: Tip=Send, Ring=Return, Sleeve=Common Ground.)
Setting Gain: Each input channel has a gain knob that lets you adjust the input sensitivity. Nearly every level control on the mixer features a "U" symbol to indicate "Unity Gain," or no change in the signal level. For line-level signals, you can adjust the input sensitivity between -20dB and +30dB. For mic signals (from the XLR connectors), the range of adjustment is 0dB to +50dB. Level Set LEDs are provided to let you know if any of the channels are distorting. A low-cut switch on channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5/6, and 7/8 cuts bass frequencies below 100 Hz at a slope of 18dB per octave. On the stereo channels (9/10 and 11/12), the range of gain control is -20dB to +20dB, with no Level Set LEDs or Low-Cut Switch.
3-Band Equalization: Each of the inputs has 3-band equalization, with "low shelving" at 80Hz, peaking mids at 2.5kHz, and "high shelving" at 12kHz. Shelving means the circuitry boosts or cuts all frequencies past the specified frequency. EQ knobs are provided for Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11/12, and provide 15dB of boost or cut at 80Hz, 2.5kHz, and 12kHz. The "U" symbol indicates the center position (Unity Gain) where there is no change in the signal level.
USB Input/Output: On the mixer's rear panel, the Type B USB 2x2 interface allows you to record two streams from the mixer, or input stereo playback from a computer. A USB input level control (0dB-20dB) and a USB Thru switch are provided.
Tape In/Out: The ProFX12v2 offers both Tape Inputs and Outputs. The stereo unbalanced RCA inputs allows you to connect a CD or MP3 player or other line-level source. The level of the input signal can be controlled with a separate Tape Level knob. The stereo unbalanced RCA outputs let you record the main stereo mix onto a hard disk recorder or automatic CD burner.
Main Meters: The mixer's main peak meters include two columns of 12 LEDs, with three colors to indicate signal level ranges: green (-30dB to +3dB), yellow (+6 to +15), and red (+20 OL).
Main & Headphone Outputs: The ProFX12v2 analog mixer is fitted with XLR and 1/4" main outputs, as well as a 1/4" headphone output:
- Main XLR Outputs: Two male XLR connectors on the mixer's real panel provide a balanced line-level signal at the end of the mixer chain. This fully mixed stereo signal can be sent to your main power amplifiers, powered speakers, or a serial effects processor.
- Main 1/4"Outputs: Two 1/4" connectors provide balanced or unbalanced stereo line-level signals from the main mix for connecting to inputs of your powered speakers, main power amplifier, or to the next device in the signal chain, such as an external processor. This is the same signal that appears at the XLR Main outputs, but are 6dB lower.
- Headphone Output: A single 1/4" TRS jack supplies the output to a pair of stereo headphones. It is the same signal that is sent to the main and tape outputs. A separate volume control knob is provided.
Pan/Balance: The ProFX12v2 allows you to adjust how much of the channel signal is sent to the left vs. the right outputs. When the knob is rotated fully left, the signal feeds the main left output. With the knob panned hard right, the signal feeds the main right output. The pan control has a Constant Loudness design which increases or decreases the signal when panning to maintain the same apparent loudness. Channels 9/10 and 11/12 have a Balance Control, similar to the Pan control of the other channels.
Stereo Returns: Two 1/4" jacks are provided as stereo (aux) returns for balanced or unbalanced signals. They allow the stereo processed output from an external effects processors or other devices to be added to the main mix. The level of the incoming signal can be adjusted with the Stereo Return (ST RTN) fader. These inputs can also be used to add any stereo line-level source to the main mix.
Internal Effects: The powerful new ReadyFX effects engine uses a floating-point DSP to deliver 16 effects that can be used to enhance any performance. A rotary dial and 2-digit numeric display let you choose between the following effects:
|1. Bright Room||5. Warm Hall||9. Chorus||13. Delay 1 (Fast)|
|2. Warm Lounge||6. Concert Hall||10. Chorus + Reverb||14. Delay 2 (Medium)|
|3. Small Stage||7. Plate Reverb||11. Doubler||15. Delay 3 (Slow)|
|4. Warm Theater||8. Cathedral||12. Echo||16. Pan Delay|
Aux Monitor/FX Sends: The ProFX12v2 features Aux Monitor and Aux FX Sends:
- Aux Monitor Send: Stage monitors allow the musician to hear themselves clearly on stage. The monitor mix may be carefully adjusted in level using the Aux Mon controls on Channels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, and 11/12. These tap a portion of each channel's signal to provide a 1/4" TRS output to feed external stage monitors. The controls are off when fully turned down, deliver unity gain (no change in level) at the center detent, and provides up to 15dB of gain when fully turned up.
- FX Send: The Aux FX knobs tap a portion of each channel's signal to provide a FX mix feeding the internal FX processor, and to feed an external FX processor via the FX Send 1/4" connector. The controls are off when fully turned down, deliver unity gain (no change in level) at the center detent, and provides up to 15dB of gain when fully turned up. Effects are added to the main mix by increasing the level of the "FX to Main" knob. You can also add FX to the monitor mix by adjusting the "FX to Mon" knob.
- FX Footswitch: A 1/4" TRS connector is provided for connecting a one-button, on/off footswitch to mute or un-mute the internal effects.
Graphic Equalizer: The ProFX12v2 offers a 7-Band Graphic EQ for the left/right main mix or for the monitors. The EQ affects the line-level outputs, but not the headphone or tape outputs. It can be bypassed at the press of a button, if needed. Each slider lets you adjust the level of its frequency band with up to 15dB of boost or cut. The center detent indicates no change in level (0 dB). The frequency bands are: 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, and 8kHz.
Applications: The Mackie ProFX12v2 is great for Live sound mixing, houses of worship, clubs, gyms, banquet halls, conference and board rooms, studio and field recording, video post-production, multimedia applications, broadcast, and many more.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?