About the Mackie Thump12A
An affordable and portable powered speaker
An affordable and portable powered speaker
Mackie's Thump12A powered speaker offers serious performance with a reasonable price tag. The Thump12A uses a 1,000-watt amp to power its 12" woofer and a separate 300-watt amp to drive the 1.4" horn-loaded tweeter. The built-in time alignment and crossover circuitry result in maximum performance from the two drivers. To make sure the show will go on, Mackie incorporates a subsonic filter to protect against woofer over-excursion, a thermal shutdown and reset circuit, and independent limiters for the high- and low-frequency amplifiers, so you can't push your drivers too far.
Connect and control
The Thump12A features a 2-channel input mixer with independent volume controls, so you won't need a separate mixer if you don't need more than two inputs. The mixer features Mackie's super-quiet Vita™ preamps with Wide-Z™ technology that allows them to handle microphone, instrument, and line-level signals. An XLR output provides the mixed signal so you can daisy-chain additional speakers for larger events.
You can set the EQ contour of your Thump 12A for four different applications:
- Music — when playing back recordings
- Live — when reinforcing a band
- Monitor — when used as a floor wedge
- Sub — when used with a subwoofer, like the Mackie Thump 18S
The Thump12A 's tough polypropylene cabinet includes four handles for portability and a perforated metal grille to protect the speaker. Using the included pole insert, you can mount this Thump speaker on a tripod stand or on a speaker pole mounted over a powered sub. Its angled design even lets you use it as a floor monitor in a live performance. And whatever your application, the Thump12A continues Mackie's tradition of high performance, making it easy for you to get your Thump on.
Thump 12A connection and control panel
- 2-way powered PA speaker
- 12" high-output woofer
- 1.4" titanium dome compression driver
- bi-amplified with 1300 watts total power: 1000 watts to woofer, 300 watts to tweeter
- max SPL: 126 dB
- frequency response: 50-23,000 Hz
- selectable speaker modes: Music, Live, Monitor, Sub
- 2-channel input mixer (combo XLR/TRS) with input and master volume controls
- mix output (XLR)
- polypropylene enclosure with weather-resistant perforated metal grille
- 35mm socket for pole mounting
- 4 handles
- dimensions: 14-1/4"W x 24-1/4"H x 14"D
- weight: 29.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Thump12A
What's in the box:
- 76" Power cord (3-Pin IEC plug)
- Quick start guide (Eng / Span / Fren / Germ)
Mackie Thump12A reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mackie Thump12A
Features & specs
|Drivers per speaker||2|
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.4"|
|System Frequency response||50-23,000|
|RMS Power rating||---|
|Program Power rating||---|
|Peak Power rating||1300|
|Input Connections||2 XLR/TRS combo|
|Line Inputs||2 1/4" TRS|
|Tone Controls||Four Preset Eq Curves|
Overview: The Mackie Thump12A is a portable powered loudspeaker, designed for DJs and live performances; featuring a durable, lightweight molded enclosure, a rugged powder coated steel grill, and two full-grip side handles, plus top and bottom lift pockets. The 2-way speaker design is comprised of a 12" low frequency driver and a 1.4" titanium dome compression driver, with up to 1300 Watts peak power available. A built-in 2 channel mixer, with level adjustments for each input, can handle both mic and line inputs and includes an XLR pass-through to daisy-chain multiple speakers. Other useful features include a 4-positon Speaker Mode switch, which provides four preset Eq curves, and a built-in limiting circuit to help protect the speaker from distortion and over-excursion of the drivers.
Inputs/Outputs: The Thump12A has two input jacks that can accommodate either balanced XLR's or unbalanced 1/4" TRS connections. A balanced XLR Mix out jack is provided to send the mixed signal, of inputs 1 and 2, out to another amp/amplified speaker. Both inputs have their own rotary gain control, that can accept a wide range of signal levels, and include marked settings for both Line and Mic inputs. A Main level control adjusts the overall volume.
Speaker Modes: Four Speaker Modes are available to tailor the sound for the room or application.
Music: This is a full range Eq curve with boosted levels in the high and low frequency ranges.
Live: This mode features a low frequency roll-off, to get rid of unwanted thumps, and adds boost to mid-range and high frequencies.
Monitor: This setting has low frequency roll-off and a reduction around 2 kHz to ensure maximum gain before feedback when using the speaker as a monitor.
Sub: This mode rolls off the low end to the Thump12A drivers, but still outputs low frequencies from the Mix Out jack to run to a subwoofer.
Power: Total output power is 1300 Watts divided between the two driver amps, with the low frequency amp providing up to 1000 Watts to the woofer and the high frequency amp providing up to 300 Watts to the tweeter.
Placement: The Thump12A's flexible design allows it to sit upright or on its side at a 45˚ angle, as a stage monitor. It also includes a built-in socket on the bottom of the cabinet allowing the speaker to be pole/tripod mounted. When sitting upright, the speaker provides a coverage angle of 90˚ horizontally and 60˚ vertically.
Note: These speakers are not designed for rigging or "flying" and have no rigging points installed.
Protection Circuitry: All of the Thump line loudspeakers include various protection features. These include; a dynamic bass response circuit, which provides optimal low frequency response regardless of overall output level, a limiting circuit to protect it from damaging transient signal peaks, and a sub-sonic filter, prior to the amplifier, that prevents ultra-low frequencies from being amplified. An LED on the rear panel will light when limiting takes place.
- Peak Power: 1300 Watts (1000W low amp/300W high amp)
- Frequency Range: 50Hz - 23kHz
- Maximum SPL: 126 dB SPL
- Crossover: 24 dB/Octave
- Crossover Frequency: 2kHz
- Inputs: 2 Female combo XLR (balanced)/1/4" TRS (unbalanced)
- Mix Output: Male XLR (balanced)
- Input Impedance: 8 kΩ - balanced, 1 MΩ - unbalanced
- Mix Out Impedance: 600 Ω balanced
- Input Sensitivity: +4 dBu/+18 dBu/-35 dBu (dependent on input gain setting)
- Input Power: 100 - 250 VAC, 50 - 60Hz, 75W
- Material: Textured Polypropylene
- Color: Black
- Dimensions: Width = 14.250", Height = 24.250", Depth = 14.0"
- Weight: 29.1 lbs.
The Mackie Thump12A replaces these items
- 12" long-throw woofer and 1" compression tweeter
- bi-amplified design with 400 watts RMS to woofer and 100 watts RMS to tweeter
- frequency response: 57-20,000 Hz
1 question already asked