About the Mackie Thump12
An affordable and portable powered speaker
An affordable and portable powered speaker
Mackie's Thump12 powered speaker offers serious performance with a reasonable price tag. The Thump12 uses a 400-watt RMS amp to power its 12" woofer and a separate 100-watt amp to drive the 1" tweeter, while the built-in equalizer, time alignment, and crossover circuitry elicits maximum performance from the two drivers. To make sure you can't overdo it, Mackie incorporates a subsonic filter to protect against woofer over-excursion, a thermal shutdown and reset circuit, and independent compressors for the high- and low-frequency amps so you don't push your drivers over the limit.
The Thump12's pole socket allows you to mount it above a subwoofer.
Connect and control
The XLR input accepts the signal from your mixer output, or allows you to directly connect a microphone for a lecture or presentation. The XLR "Thru" output lets you daisy-chain additional Thump12 speakers for larger events. Mackie also includes a single level control for microphone and line level signals. You can also shape your sound with the included 3-band equalizer with its sweepable midrange control.
The Thump12 's tough polypropylene cabinet includes three handles for portability and a perforated metal grille to protect the speaker. Using the included pole insert, you can mount this Thump speaker on a tripod stand or on a speaker pole mounted over a powered sub. Its angled design even lets you use it as a floor monitor in a live performance. And whatever your application, the Thump12 continues Mackie's tradition of high performance, making it easy for you to get your Thump on.
- 2-way powered PA speaker
- 12" long-throw woofer
- 1" compression tweeter
- polypropylene enclosure with weather-resistant perforated metal grille
- bi-amplified with 500 watts RMS total power: 400 watts RMS to woofer, 100 watts RMS to tweeter
- peak power: 800 watts to woofer, 200 watts to tweeter
- built-in digital time alignment and 2-way crossover
- user-adjustable 3-band EQ with sweepable mid-frequency
- max SPL: 125 dB
- frequency response: 57-20,000 Hz
- connections: detachable power plug, one combination balanced XLR/1/4" input, and one balanced XLR "Thru" output
- dimensions: 14-1/2"W x 23-1/2"H x 12-7/16"D
- weight: 29 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 2042230-00
What's in the box:
- Powered PA speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Owner's Manual
Mackie Thump12 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Mackie Thump12
Features & specs
|Drivers per speaker||1|
|Woofer Size (inches)||12|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.4|
|System Frequency response||57-20000|
|RMS Power rating||500|
|Program Power rating||0|
|Peak Power rating||1000|
|Input Connections||1 XLR/TRS combo|
|Line Inputs||XLR, 1/4" TRS|
Two-Way Speaker Design: The Mackie Thump12 powered loudspeaker features a two-way driver design with a 1.4" titanium dome compression tweeter and 12" high-output woofer. A precision 2-way crossover splits the high and low frequencies between the tweeter and woofer.
1000W Peak Power: The Mackie Thump12 employs an ultra-efficient Class-D amplifier (400W RMS/800W Peak) to drive the woofer for dynamic low frequency response at all volume levels. It also features a traditional Class AB power amplifier (100W RMS/200W Peak) to drive the tweeter for clear high frequency performance.
Rugged Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Thump12's bass reflex enclosure features two front-firing ports for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The speaker cabinet's rugged polypropylene construction is designed for heavy use.
3-Band EQ: The Mackie Thump12 powered loudspeaker uses a 3-band EQ with sweepable mid to dial in the perfect sound for your application.
- Low EQ: This control provides up to 6dB boost or cut below 80Hz and it is also flat at the center position. This frequency range represents the punch in bass drums, bass guitar, male singers, etc.
- Mid EQ/Mid Frequency: This is a midrange EQ control that provides 6dB of boost or cut centered at any frequency between 100Hz to 8kHz. This Mid EQ circuit is flat (not boost or cut) at the center position. This frequency range includes most vocals (male at the lower end of the range and female at the upper end of the range, plus the fundamentals and harmonics from many instruments.
- Hi EQ: This control give you up to 6dB boost or cut above 12kHz. The circuit is flat (no boost or cut) at the center position. Use it to add sizzle to cymbals, and an overall sense of transparency or edge to keyboards, female vocals, guitars, etc. Turn it down to remove any high frequency hiss.
Level Knob: The level knob adjust the overall signal level at the input to the built-in power amplifier. Thump loudspeakers are designed to operate with a+4 dBu signal when the level knob is at the center position. Thump loudspeakers may accept up to a +20 dBu signal by turning down the level know accordingly.
Mic/Line Combo Input: The input on the Thump12 powered loudspeaker is a combo jack that may accept balanced/unbalanced XLR and 1/4" TRS/TS connections. The input may handle anything from a microphone to a line-level signal such as from a mixer.
XLR Thru Output: This is a male XLR-type connector that produces exactly the same signal that is connected to the input jacks. Use it to daisy-chain several Thump series loudspeaker together off the same signal source.
Overload Indicator: The OL (overload) LED indicator illuminates red when the amplifier in the Thump12 loudspeaker is near the clipping point. It is ok if the OL LED blinks occasionally, because this means that the transient peaks are just reaching the maximum output of the amplifier and your getting the most out of the loudspeaker.
Note: If the OL LED is blinking frequently or continuously, turn down the level control on the Thump12 loudspeaker or turn down the signal at its source until the OL LED only blinks occasionally or not at all.
Protection Circuitry: Each driver has its own transparent compression circuit, which helps protect them from damaging transient peaks. An over-excursion filter, inserted just before the low frequency amplifier, protects the woofer from bottoming-out when the low-end is driven to the maximum. Separate thermal switches activate and shut down the high and/or low frequency amplifiers until they cool down. These safeguards ensure long life and great-sounding loudspeakers you can always count on.
Mounting Options: Thump series loudspeakers are designed to sit on the floor or stage. They may also be pole-mounted via the built-in socket on the bottom of the cabinet (pole mount or tripod mount sold separately). They are not designed to be suspended.
The Mackie Thump12 replaces these items
- 12" long-throw woofer and 1" compression tweeter
- bi-amplified design with 150 watts RMS to woofer and 50 watts RMS to tweeter
- frequency response: 70-18,500 Hz